• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

haxan7

Banned
cfMxGgk.jpg

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Curious if anyone here has ever dealt with this phenomenon:

You're out doing whatever. Restaurant, doctor's office, retail store, whatever. And you end up interacting with a female employee. And very quickly at the beginning of that interaction, they find a way to mention "my husband" almost in a forced way unprompted.

Like you're at a diner and order something and the waitress goes "Oh, my husband loves that same dish!" Or you're at the doctor's and one of the nurses go "Oh, my husband hates needles too!" or "my husband has that same shirt!"

I'm wondering if this is just natural small talk or if this is something women do as a kind of "I'm married, so don't you dare think about hitting on me" preemptive measure because maybe they've been hit on by a bunch of creeps in the past.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

You're out doing whatever. Restaurant, doctor's office, retail store, whatever. And you end up interacting with a female employee. And very quickly at the beginning of that interaction, they find a way to mention "my husband" almost in a forced way unprompted.

Like you're at a diner and order something and the waitress goes "Oh, my husband loves that same dish!" Or you're at the doctor's and one of the nurses go "Oh, my husband hates needles too!" or "my husband has that same shirt!"

I'm wondering if this is just natural small talk or if this is something women do as a kind of "I'm married, so don't you dare think about hitting on me" preemptive measure because maybe they've been hit on by a bunch of creeps in the past.
Honesty? I feel like I mentioned my wife sometimes as means of kinda disarming a conversation…just so you know, I make small talk and jokes and this isn’t some sort of flirtatious thing. My post earlier about my email that started off with a joke? I really do that to just calm everyone’s tits about what’s to come…my natural reaction to continued bullshit is to go Aaron Boone on motherfuckers, but a spoonful of sugar…gets better results.

I think a woman mentioning her husband or BF is largely serving the same function. Hey, we’ll be friendly but don’t get the wrong idea. Frankly that works for me.

Last edited:

haxan7

Banned

Women say stuff like that to me all the time.

I mention my wife all the time too. Not out of some innate notification I'm off the market but just chatting about commonality, albeit through my own or my wife's perspective. When you're married and genuinely like your partner it can be a blurred line of separation. Interdependence I think they call it.

I'm sure there are those that do it as an up front notification too.

nush

And very quickly at the beginning of that interaction, they find a way to mention "my husband" almost in a forced way unprompted.

All the time, when they were younger they would do it with "My boyfriend". I'm sure it's a subconscious self defense thing to stop men hitting on them.

As a guy you can go out an see it for yourself. Go talk to a woman you don't know, about anything without hitting on her and see how quickly she shoehorns a mention of her partner into that first convo.

Star-Lord

All the time, when they were younger they would do it with "My boyfriend". I'm sure it's a subconscious self defense thing to stop men hitting on them.
If only that were the only self-defence thing mechanism people use on me. I usually get a kick to the balls, a faceful of mace, and a death stare as they walk away.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

That's not much of a phenomenon. When you spend most of your time/life with someone, they are bound to come up in conversation a lot. And yeah, people drop that they're married to send signals too.

nush

haxan7 haxan7

1 week later..

It's a lockdown, but we're not calling it a lockdown and you can still go out but you're going to get scanned everywhere you want to go by security theater medical staff in blue scrubs with full facemasks and they've welded corrugated metal sheets over every alley and side street they don't want you to use to walk around the health checkpoints. Also all the schools are closed so the kids have a bonus spring vacation.

Me who spent two years predicting this and prepping,

smug-smile-gif-10.gif

haxan7

Banned
haxan7 haxan7

1 week later..

It's a lockdown, but we're not calling it a lockdown and you can still go out but you're going to get scanned everywhere you want to go by security theater medical staff in blue scrubs with full facemasks and they've welded corrugated metal sheets over every alley and side street they don't want you to use to walk around the health checkpoints. Also all the schools are closed so the kids have a bonus spring vacation.

Me who spent two years predicting this and prepping,

smug-smile-gif-10.gif
They’re doing Covid lockdowns AGAIN there?

haxan7

Banned
The combination of daylight savings + meeting back up with my ex really fucked me. I haven't been sleeping well at all. Super tired today. Instead of catching up on work, on Monday I drove to an hour to see her new house and went on a hike with her.

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Thaedolus

The combination of daylight savings + meeting back up with my ex really fucked me. I haven't been sleeping well at all. Super tired today. Instead of catching up on work, on Monday I drove to an hour to see her new house and went on a hike with her.

Mr Rogers Clown GIF
I’ve only done the hook up with an ex/off and on again thing a few times but…I get it…

If something ever happened to my wife and me I know right where I’d flip the Rolodex

Last edited:

bronk

Banned

Mr Rogers Clown GIF
Hike with an ex? CMON MAN. You get a pass for smashing but a hike? That's a hell no.

Last edited:

nush

Now I'm only allowed out of the housing complex one every two days, it's still not an official lockdown though. Two years ago when we were locked down I was allowed out once a day. I think I'd prefer an actual lockdown.

There's Covid cases in some towns surrounding where I am living but they are not close enough to transfer any infections here where there are no cases. If you just look on a map they will look like they are really close but they are actually an hour+ away.

Peggies

Gold Member
Is that really a thing (normal) women do? Having themselves knocked up without the guy knowing or wanting it? It's ridiculous, it's stupid and it's selfish.

nush

Is that really a thing (normal) women do? Having themselves knocked up without the guy knowing or wanting it?

Yes.

And it was always an "Accident" after discussing wanting a baby not to far in the past before where he wasn't ready to have a baby at that time.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Is that really a thing (normal) women do? Having themselves knocked up without the guy knowing or wanting it? It's ridiculous, it's stupid and it's selfish.
I've not had the issue in my own life thankfully. I also used condoms unless I was in a stable relationship & she was on birth control. If she's a bit of a psycho, proceed with caution. American women in particular can be crazy as hell. I wish the US was far less puritanical about sex in general.

nush

I also used condoms unless I was in a stable relationship & she was on birth control.

I was taught, "Never trust her with the birth control". If she want's a baby she will "forget" to take the pill, being drunk can also lessen the effect of the pill. Even though my mum had the coil fitted she still had my youngest brother.

You'll be on the hook for that kid forever and women know it.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I was taught, "Never trust her with the birth control". If she want's a baby she will "forget" to take the pill, being drunk can also lessen the effect of the pill. Even though my mum had the coil fitted she still had my youngest brother.

You'll be on the hook for that kid forever and women know it.
If it was the pill then yes, never worth a risk there as honest mistakes happen too.

Most of the women I've been with had IUD. It's the best way to go from what I hear. My input mirrors that as it seems to be the most reliable BC out at the moment.

Peggies

Gold Member
I've not had the issue in my own life thankfully. I also used condoms unless I was in a stable relationship & she was on birth control. If she's a bit of a psycho, proceed with caution. American women in particular can be crazy as hell. I wish the US was far less puritanical about sex in general.
I always thought that's more of an urban legend. Like waking up in a bathtub, having one of your kidneys removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom