• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thaedolus

I just noticed a giant plot hole in the third Harry Potter book/film. Towards the end, when Harry and Hermoine go back in time to save Buckbeak and Sirius, a scene plays out in which Hermoine throws a pumpkin seed at the back of Past Harry’s head in order to draw his attention to Dumbledore and Fudge approaching Hagrid’s hut. When she does this, Future/Present exclaims that he too felt the seed hit him. From this, we can assume that Future Harry feels exactly what Past Harry feels.

If we are applying this level of rationale, then the scene that follows, in which Future Harry casts a Patronus charm to save the lives of Past Harry and Sirius from the Dementors. But, and this is where the plot hole lies, as the Dementors are sucking out Past Harry’s soul and causing his body a great deal of pain and torment, shouldn’t Future Harry also be affected? He should be curled up on the floor too, unable to cast the Patronus. By rights, Past Harry (and, by extension, Future Harry) and Sirius should both be dead.

Lazy writing, JK. I’m disappointed.
Richard Packer Richard Packer this would be an appropriate time to deploy your catch phrase

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Imagine having differing political views and not being able to talk about them in a constructive unheated manner >.>

I self identify as a ore-researcher for the underground mole men and I can talk to sun believing lizard folk just fine, so neh

I decided to get a bike helmet after my accident. I have a 68.5cm circumference head (giant), which they don't make premade helmets for. Luckily I found a company called KAV Sports that will 3D print one for me, but these fuckers cost $400 with shipping! I hate my big head.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Agree. It was never me that had a problem with our opposing views. She would always start shit over it and try to bait me into arguments. One time she raged out of my apartment after getting a glance at my YouTube recommendations. I think all she saw was the Hodge Twins and Fox News.
My top 3 recs right now are: Elden Ring, Explanation of a specific 90s computer virus, and audio gear. We all have our hobbies. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Thaedolus

PtEs1S3.png

…pussy is flowing like wine around here fellas

Thaedolus

From Tecmo Bowl OST to Tool remix. I don't whether to applaud or revile.
It was a reaction video that someone sent me, and I hope you’re not trying to knock TOOL.

The Tecmo Bowl rabbit hole was because some fuckin guy I know tried to tell me Bo Jackson was bullshit in Tecmo Bowl so I needed to find a specific track to refute that nonsense.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
It was a reaction video that someone sent me, and I hope you’re not trying to knock TOOL.

The Tecmo Bowl rabbit hole was because some fuckin guy I know tried to tell me Bo Jackson was bullshit in Tecmo Bowl so I needed to find a specific track to refute that nonsense.
Not at all. I enjoyed Tool quite a bit in the early Naughts. Fear Innoculum was a bit of a disappoint for me but otherwise they are solid. I don't listen to much hard rock these days though, so maybe just a side effect of me getting old and losing my angst.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I just noticed a giant plot hole in the third Harry Potter book/film. Towards the end, when Harry and Hermoine go back in time to save Buckbeak and Sirius, a scene plays out in which Hermoine throws a pumpkin seed at the back of Past Harry’s head in order to draw his attention to Dumbledore and Fudge approaching Hagrid’s hut. When she does this, Future/Present exclaims that he too felt the seed hit him. From this, we can assume that Future Harry feels exactly what Past Harry feels.

If we are applying this level of rationale, then the scene that follows, in which Future Harry casts a Patronus charm to save the lives of Past Harry and Sirius from the Dementors. But, and this is where the plot hole lies, as the Dementors are sucking out Past Harry’s soul and causing his body a great deal of pain and torment, shouldn’t Future Harry also be affected? He should be curled up on the floor too, unable to cast the Patronus. By rights, Past Harry (and, by extension, Future Harry) and Sirius should both be dead.

Lazy writing, JK. I’m disappointed.
i don’t think the scene is meant that way. He probably just remembered when he himself got hit earlier and reimagined the pain.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Not at all. I enjoyed Tool quite a bit in the early Naughts. Fear Innoculum was a bit of a disappoint for me but otherwise they are solid. I don't listen to much hard rock these days though, so maybe just a side effect of me getting old and losing my angst.

I feel like I’m getting older and their music is too alongside me, so it still suits me well. Really liked seeing them live twice in the last couple years. Also helps that Danny Carey and Justin Chancellor are fuckin savants and I drum and play bass.

Star-Lord

i don’t think the scene is meant that way. He probably just remembered when he himself got hit earlier and reimagined the pain.
But in the book and film, Harry openly expresses pain when his past self is hit with the seed. He’s not just remembering it, he felt it. It’s lazy writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom