• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-Fex

I really wasn't in the mood to play anything but tried MGS3, least the beginning of it. Man I just can't sneak up on guards and hold them up like I do on MGS2.

Guess I'd have to go up to them and do a CQC slam like I seen drk or knight do.

Kojima should have drugged Kurt Russell then have him sign on to voice Big Boss. Man.....he could phone it in and it would still be glorious.

Bio-Frost

I really wasn't in the mood to play anything but tried MGS3, least the beginning of it. Man I just can't sneak up on guards and hold them up like I do on MGS2.

Guess I'd have to go up to them and do a CQC slam like I seen drk or knight do.
You using the dpad to sneak walk? The analog stick still causes noise to the guards.

malfcn

2-3 hours later and this game still won't end. It's awesome, but goddam it keeps going and going.

And I am getting an American Psycho vibe everytime Snake gushes about weapons.

rekameohs

Banned
Well, now that the Legacy Collection has arrived, I'm finally ready to start playing this series.

I beat the original Metal Gear, and that was pretty fun - I thought things picked up quite a bit as your arsenal kept growing, but I know it's just the tip of the iceberg for what's to follow. On to MG2: Solid Snake!

malfcn

*slow clap*

Wow.

Metal_Gear_-_Big_Boss_Salute_(Metal_Gear_Solid_3_Snake_Eater).gif

TheBoss1

I don't hear much people mention MG2:SS but surprisingly it's one of my favorites from this series. For a game made in 1990, it was ahead of its time.

More surprisingly, the only mainline MG game I never played was MGS. I have this feeling the outdated graphics will ruin what made it so great when it first came out so I just rely on others who experienced it to tell me how great of a game it is/was. I beat Twin Snakes a couple times and enjoyed the story, the VA, and the atmosphere, but I know the latter 2 are praised more in the original from fans. Maybe it's nostalgia? I HATE the matrix cutscenes in TTS though.

I never got around to playing the online in MGS4 but I heard good things. Funny thing is I put in so much hours in PW (PS3) multiplayer - WAY more than I put into all the MG games combined. It was so addicting but the core game itself (aside from motherbase building and multiplayer) doesn't hold a candle to any of the other games in the series. MGS4 I hate it and like it at the same time. Gameplay is good but the story was so cringe-worthy that it felt like a chore to finish it each time I start over.

MGS2=MGS3=MGS:GZ>MG2:SS>MGS:TTS>MG>>>>>MGS:pW>>>>>>>>>>MGS4

Yes, GZ is not a full game compared to the others but I think the gameplay alone puts it on par with any MGS game. I love the serious tone of this game. Only things I dislike are the automatic cover system and how short it is. Still though, I don't regret buying it.

More surprisingly, the only mainline MG game I never played was MGS. I have this feeling the outdated graphics will ruin what made it so great when it first came out so I just rely on others who experienced it to tell me how great of a game it is/was. I beat Twin Snakes a couple times and enjoyed the story, the VA, and the atmosphere, but I know the latter 2 are praised more in the original from fans. Maybe it's nostalgia? I HATE the matrix cutscenes in TTS though.

I had never played the first MGS until a month ago, but I thought it was amazing. The graphics aren't 'good' but the art design is great so I enjoyed the look of the game. Besides, if you enjoy MG2: SS, which is older and more archaic than MGS, there's no reason you wouldn't enjoy MGS. It's a fantastic game.

Yen

I don't hear much people mention MG2:SS but surprisingly it's one of my favorites from this series. For a game made in 1990, it was ahead of its time.

I've never played the 2D games. Playing those games, can you tell that Kojima was going to be a bit of a 'unique' storyteller/director? I would've thought that a combination of youth and the limitations of the system (plus I suppose, that home videogames were a relatively new medium would mean directors wouldn't take risks with mechanics or story) would mean they were fairly straightforward.

Sciz

I've never played the 2D games. Playing those games, can you tell that Kojima was going to be a bit of a 'unique' storyteller/director? I would've thought that a combination of youth and the limitations of the system would mean they were fairly straightforward.

The series' penchant for constantly throwing the player into new situations with unconventional mechanics and best-in-class surprises goes straight back to 1987. MG1 is light on story but laid out most of the series' fundamentals, MG2 significantly expanded on the gameplay and added a real plot, and then MGS1 recycled MG2's mechanics outright and even some of its plot beats while ramping the presentation values way up.

The MSX games are absolutely worth going back to for any fan of the later entries. The entire series revolves around what they laid out to this day.

thechemist

Does this need to be posted again:

m1B2CEH.jpg

I laughed so much at this!

Just wanted to come in and say MGS is my favorite series ever. I must say I never played MG1 & MG2 however, as I am still hoping for a remake :/

My personal ranking, in line with most people here, copied and pasted from Jetts post:
MGS3: Favorite game of all-time.
MGS1
MGS2
MGS4

I loved Egoraptor's Metal Gear Awesome video from all those years back (Part 1) (Part 2)

Bonus CRAB BATTLE

This is a fantastic rendition of the MGS theme, I hope it makes a return in the Phantom Pain, as Konami used it in a video recently.

thechemist

To be certain, do I jump to 4 or PW?
Played 4 before, but had no context. More I'm prepared.

I would say play it in release order personally, so MGS4. Peace Walker needs a lot more of your time as well with the base building, etc and leads directly on to Ground Zeroes.

malfcn

Made it passed the first few areas and into a bunker. I Says blue is friendly and red is enemy. First guy I see has a little blue and let's me walk by. The next guy goes ape and alerts. What the heck?

And now I'm killing people because I didn't know the controls. War has changed. Buttons have changed.

NZerker12

Made it passed the first few areas and into a bunker. I Says blue is friendly and red is enemy. First guy I see has a little blue and let's me walk by. The next guy goes ape and alerts. What the heck?

And now I'm killing people because I didn't know the controls. War has changed. Buttons have changed.

Did the second guy tell you to stop? if he did and you moved that is what triggered the alert. When they tell you to stop, you can give them a ration which will allow you to move onward or wait for them to check you out. Although that isn't the best way through. The best way is to use the militia outfit.
Which can be found in one of the rooms in the bunker.

malfcn

Found the suit. I'm going to be fighting the controls a bit until my hands mesh with them.

And I'm surprised Snake would let a stranger, Drebin, inject him. With the whole Naomi and FOXDIE incident. I'd be paranoid about anyone trying to stick me.

JayEH

Found the suit. I'm going to be fighting the controls a bit until my hands mesh with them.

And I'm surprised Snake would let a stranger, Drebin, inject him. With the whole Naomi and FOXDIE incident. I'd be paranoid about anyone trying to stick me.

PLOT HOLES FOR DAYZZZZ. (Still my favorite MGS)

Ishida

Banned

It's not like had much of a choice, he would be completely unarmed and helpless unless he slipped into the system. At this point in time Snake knows he's dying, so getting injected with new shit doesn't bother him as much.

However.... Keep playing.. =)

malfcn

David is really pushing his voice in this game. I like the voice of Snake, but at times it is just a wee much.

And the Frog fight turned this into a cover shooter and less stealth. Break now. Unless I can bring the PS3 downstairs that may be it for awhile.

wilsonda

I need some more of The Phantom Pain footage in my life, but I also want to not spoil any more then we got from last year's E3 trailer...

anyone else putting themselves on a TPP media blackout until release? will anyone else join me in this agony?

Danny 117

So it looks like Kojima is currently editing a new trailer for TPP.

Wonder if this is going to be the E3 trailer, or released before E3?

8126bc28c36749d527b45303a63b9810.png

EDIT: hahahaha that's pretty funny that someone just asked about a new trailer. :p

Warewolf

I need some more of The Phantom Pain footage in my life, but I also want to not spoil any more then we got from last year's E3 trailer...

anyone else putting themselves on a TPP media blackout until release? will anyone else join me in this agony?

Stay strong, I'm not going anywhere near Phantom Pain footage.

Holykael1

Banned

I wish I were that strong.. But the trailers they released are like crack for me. I watch a specific one everyday and it manages to always provoke emotional response especially when Kaz starts talking and when "Punished Snake" appears.
I like this one a lot - http://youtu.be/INx-SVeld3k - it's very light on spoilers, i'd wager it has zero spoilers actually(it has GZ ones though).

wilsonda

EDIT: hahahaha that's pretty funny that someone just asked about a new trailer. :p

Danny, you are seriously killing me man... haha

wilsonda

Pretty sure we will need to form an online support group.. I feel strong now, but once the buzz starts around E3 ill be too tempted... I am hoping some new IP's will take my mind of MGS

JayEH

Metal Gear trailers are too epic and legendary for me to skip them. That 9 minutes red band trailer from last year was too good.

Betty

Banned
Just knowing we get a new trailer makes E3 worth it. I kind hope we get to see a snippet of jungle gameplay.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I always thought that the UK LE was the NA LE. I really wanted that Snake figurine dammit. Well, still got that Shinkawa art!

God damn, I'm getting hyped. It can't get better than the E3 2013 red band trailer. That was awesome. I don't think I ever got so excited for something so simple (hiding in a damn truck).

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Ohhh boy. MGS2 is up next in my game replaying rotation! Given my history of being extremely bad at this series an having never beaten any of 'em on anything but the easiest of difficulties should I even contemplate trying normal mode?

HIDEO_KOJIMA ‏@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN:
Editing video. I'm still in the phase of picking music & building structure.I pick up image & bulletlines I get from the music in my iPod.

HYPE.

Ohhh boy. MGS2 is up next in my game replaying rotation! Given my history of being extremely bad at this series an having never beaten any of 'em on anything but the easiest of difficulties should I even contemplate trying normal mode?

Definitely! Normal is still quite easy as you take a ton of hits to die, and I'm assuming the stealth is the same difficulty. I definitely recommend going through some VR missions first as those ease you into all the mechanics and strategies (I did this before replaying 2's story recently and I enjoyed the game much more as a result).

Crispy

Definitely! Normal is still quite easy as you take a ton of hits to die, and I'm assuming the stealth is the same difficulty. I definitely recommend going through some VR missions first as those ease you into all the mechanics and strategies (I did this before replaying 2's story recently and I enjoyed the game much more as a result).

I recently bought a Vita and bought the HD collection in the Easter Sale, am stoked to play MGS2 and 3 again. After playing the first one to the point that I could finish it in an hour and 20 miutes, I haven't played 2 and 3 much at all.

After playing the Tanker prologue in MGS2, I was pretty frustrated with the mechanics and controls. Especially during the fight with Olga . So I'm going through the VR missions now as well, and I already see things falling into place this way. Although the back-touchscreen of the Vita still feels terribly awkward to use accurately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom