• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's how simple your argument is, people that put MGS4 above any MGS titles in any category engage in intellectual BDSM on a regular basis.

wouldn't know, i ranked MGS4 last as that game was boring in my opinion and the weapon shop ruined a lot of the gameplay.

MormaPope

Banned

Shit that makes your brain hurt or ache, due to dull, plodding, and long winded dialog along with story details that aren't needed, but somehow ruin existing storylines at the same time.

If I had to have a simplified MGS4 argument, people like MGS4 because they like making their brains hurt because the mental pain brings them depraved mental pleasure.

wouldn't know, i ranked MGS4 last as that game was boring in my opinion and the weapon shop ruined a lot of the gameplay.

I just read your rankings and you put MGS2 as first.

You realize in many arguments saying "because of nostalgia" usually has negative connotations behind it? It devalues whatever a specific thing as and labels enjoyment as "its only good because people felt good playing it back then, its not as good now".

Holykael1

Banned
Shit that makes your brain hurt or ache, due to dull, plodding, and long winded dialog along with story details that aren't needed, but somehow ruin existing storylines at the same time.

If I had to have a simplified MGS4 argument, people like MGS4 because they like making their brains hurt because the mental pain brings them depraved mental pleasure.

Of course. I like to suffer mental pain, that's why I love MGS 4, obviously.. What else could it be?

http://youtu.be/mdDX84oUVSs?t=4m17s

malfcn

Starting Peace Walker tonight or tomorrow. Was going to start it last night but was too tired. I did actually mess around with it a bit.

During the CQC training bit it did to press the button to punch. But I kept grabbing then instead.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
TqvqxTR.png
MGS1 trailer - MGSV style!

Nvzman

So I bought 4 and Ground Zeroes (PS4) today.
played like an hour of mgs4 and almost SIX hours of GZ. It's just so darn addicting.

It's that time again where I come to the GAF community for assistance for Timeline. Anyone who believes they are a "lore expert" in the Metal Gear universe and would like their name in the credits for looking over the script for the episode and pointing out issues I missed please PM me.

JayEH

You have to manually cut his shield, just gotta aim and then slash.

I was able to beat him. That was me venting after doing so lol.

I'm not very good at character action games and I had no health packs so as you can imagine I was getting frustrated.

I've probably done it in the past but i can't rank MGS games. I love them all equally. All of them have their fair share of ups and downs. But i have a tad more love for MGS2 because that was my first one in the series. It made me a fan. Made me track down MGS1 on ebay to play it asap. Made me follow IGN 24/7 waiting for MGS3 news. The graphics, mindfuckery, music, story, just about everything i love.

MGS1 is a classic but i didn't get most of the feels. Knew a lot about the game before hand and the downgrade from MGS2 is pretty big. Still a great game though and wish i experienced it day 1. MGS3 played and beat the game day 1. The James Bond atmosphere. Amazing supporting characters and villains. Great simple linear story. Probably my favorite soundtrack of the bunch. The tears. *salute* . I would call it the perfect MGS game.

MGS4. Will never understand the backlash that it gets. Wins GOTY 2X and 10's on major gaming sites, but the game is shit? Overrated? Maybe, but the game is far from shit. First off the gameplay is the best of the bunch. Of course better hardware is the major factor but it was smooth and fit the game perfectly. Who didn't get the feels when you wipe out octocamo during cutscenes?? Awesome.The story i'm 50/50. I don't get burthurt over the nanomachines. Because it makes sense. Was it weak? I guess so since so many people hate it but i thought it was ok. I didn't get most of the feels because i put WAY too much thought into the game before it came out. Unfortunately most of my guesses like who funded the Patriots or Eva being the birth mother were all right. So i lost that punch Kojima was probably going for. Either way, a shit ton of cool moments. Great cutscenes. Fun gameplay. Great ending. (Big Boss ending could have been WAY better). By ending i meant i'm glad Snake gets to rest for the final months in his life with his best friend by his side. *tear* He deserved it!

MPO and MGSPW. Fun side story games. Simple small game design. The CQC controls were finally user friendly at least. The story was....a tad out there. I've only played it twice and watched the story once on youtube and still scratch my head. Didn't care for most of the characters and i felt like he's turning Big Boss into a cry baby bitch rather than a future bad ass villain. MGS:GZ was ok for what it was. Good controls and graphics. Miss Hayter and will never be cool with the change. MGS5 will deliver because Kojima always does.

Ishida

Banned
I've probably done it in the past but i can't rank MGS games. I love them all equally. All of them have their fair share of ups and downs. But i have a tad more love for MGS2 because that was my first one in the series. It made me a fan. Made me track down MGS1 on ebay to play it asap. Made me follow IGN 24/7 waiting for MGS3 news. The graphics, mindfuckery, music, story, just about everything i love.

MGS1 is a classic but i didn't get most of the feels. Knew a lot about the game before hand and the downgrade from MGS2 is pretty big. Still a great game though and wish i experienced it day 1. MGS3 played and beat the game day 1. The James Bond atmosphere. Amazing supporting characters and villains. Great simple linear story. Probably my favorite soundtrack of the bunch. The tears. *salute* . I would call it the perfect MGS game.

MGS4. Will never understand the backlash that it gets. Wins GOTY 2X and 10's on major gaming sites, but the game is shit? Overrated? Maybe, but the game is far from shit. First off the gameplay is the best of the bunch. Of course better hardware is the major factor but it was smooth and fit the game perfectly. Who didn't get the feels when you wipe out octocamo during cutscenes?? Awesome.The story i'm 50/50. I don't get burthurt over the nanomachines. Because it makes sense. Was it weak? I guess so since so many people hate it but i thought it was ok. I didn't get most of the feels because i put WAY too much thought into the game before it came out. Unfortunately most of my guesses like who funded the Patriots or Eva being the birth mother were all right. So i lost that punch Kojima was probably going for. Either way, a shit ton of cool moments. Great cutscenes. Fun gameplay. Great ending. (Big Boss ending could have been WAY better). By ending i meant i'm glad Snake gets to rest for the final months in his life with his best friend by his side. *tear* He deserved it!

MPO and MGSPW. Fun side story games. Simple small game design. The CQC controls were finally user friendly at least. The story was....a tad out there. I've only played it twice and watched the story once on youtube and still scratch my head. Didn't care for most of the characters and i felt like he's turning Big Boss into a cry baby bitch rather than a future bad ass villain. MGS:GZ was ok for what it was. Good controls and graphics. Miss Hayter and will never be cool with the change. MGS5 will deliver because Kojima always does.

My man.

malfcn

Finally got to start Piece Walker. Looks like it may be interesting. Got an alert on the first guy because I didn't realize it changed my load out and that you can't stun enemies. And for some reason Snake kept laying down. It was my only alert and I got an A.

But that did one mission. How long is Peace Walker compared to other titles?

JayEH

Finally got to start Piece Walker. Looks like it may be interesting. Got an alert on the first guy because I didn't realize it changed my load out and that you can't stun enemies. And for some reason Snake kept laying down. It was my only alert and I got an A.

But that did one mission. How long is Peace Walker compared to other titles?

I'm about 8 hours in and just started chapter 3. I hear it's about 15-20 hours for most players. It can be longer if you do a lot of the side stuff.

malfcn

I'm about 8 hours in and just started chapter 3. I hear it's about 15-20 hours for most players. It can be longer if you do a lot of the side stuff.

Cool, I was worried it's short. And need a better or more silencers, 5 shots and it's.... Shot.

Off to hockey. If I am not too exhausted, I'll be back.

Just ordered a new copy of the Legacy Collection from Amazon. They were out for a while and the price for used copies was pushing $80-$90 for a while there so I jumped on it.

I had intended to play this series for the first time (played MGS1 back when it was new but none of the rest) a few years ago after I got a 60gb PS3. But it never happened. Might have been for the best because now I can play them all in HD except for MGS 1. This is my summer gaming project -- I'm gonna do it this time.

Holykael1

Banned
Just ordered a new copy of the Legacy Collection from Amazon. They were out for a while and the price for used copies was pushing $80-$90 for a while there so I jumped on it.

I had intended to play this series for the first time (played MGS1 back when it was new but none of the rest) a few years ago after I got a 60gb PS3. But it never happened. Might have been for the best because now I can play them all in HD except for MGS 1. This is my summer gaming project -- I'm gonna do it this time.

Awesome man! Definitely keep us updated on that project. Avoid reading too much the thread tho, lots of spoilers.

Awesome man! Definitely keep us updated on that project. Avoid reading too much the thread tho, lots of spoilers.

Thanks. I'll definitely be back, but I won't be reading in the meantime.

I forgot to add that I DID replay MGS1 a few years ago when I had intended to start my series run. It was great to revisit. Y2Kev's recent thread about it reminded me of that, and had me looking for the Legacy box again. I might replay MGS1 on the Vita this time. I was frustrated with what I thought was some pretty simple timing in the final boss fights and now I wonder if it wasn't just the inherent lag when playing PS1 games on the PS3.

AlienKebab

Neo Member
Is there any point in playing Portable Ops?
I've played it for about 2 hours, and it's just so boring, the levels look uninspired and shit, story isn't interesting nor are the characters. And the gameplay feels horrible.

JayEH

I've played it for about 2 hours, and it's just so boring, the levels look uninspired and shit, story isn't interesting nor are the characters. And the gameplay feels horrible.

No you don't need to play it. Nothing really important happens story wise anyway.

I actually just beat it tonight for the first time and really enjoyed it.

Some aspects of it are better than Peace Walker, like how you can actually see the soldier's faces when you play as them, even if there are only like 3 different faces.

There are actual interesting bosses, instead of tanks and singing robots.

Dragging people to the truck is annoying, but actually makes more sense than constantly having helicopters fly by for the fulton, or somehow using the fulton indoors.

I played it on vita though, I can't imagine how shitty the controls must've been on a PSP

I just read your rankings and you put MGS2 as first.

You realize in many arguments saying "because of nostalgia" usually has negative connotations behind it? It devalues whatever a specific thing as and labels enjoyment as "its only good because people felt good playing it back then, its not as good now".

yeah but i was amazed by the game when it came out, and because of nostalgia everytime i play it i get warm feelings and just have fun fooling around with the game. None of the newer games have recreated that feeling.

malfcn

Wow. If you fail as mission in PW you have to start all over. That's a bit of a bummer.

And I have no idea what I'm developing. Upgrading the hush puppy, but don't know what it'll do to it.

malfcn

The Fulton system is awesome. Love the sound they make. Didn't realize you could use it on soldiers. Just defeated some tank. Played it twice to capture it with the commander. Is there a specific way to have him pop out?

So I'm playing through MGS for the first time in over ten years, and I'm at the part where you fight Liquid on top of REX. I don't remember it being this hard lol. Whenever I get him down to around half health, he'll start blinking after one punch and then counter. Did this always happen? If I remember correctly, I would always be able to get in at least two punches, if not the full punch, punch, kick combo before he started blinking. The problem with this is I keep on running out of time before I can do enough damage. Is this a bug, or did that always happen?

The Fulton system is awesome. Love the sound they make. Didn't realize you could use it on soldiers. Just defeated some tank. Played it twice to capture it with the commander. Is there a specific way to have him pop out?

If in Alert Mode, once the Commander stops calling in reinforcements and all soldiers are gone, keep damaging the tank until the Commander pops out.

If there's no Alert, stealthily take out all the soldiers and once they're gone, the Commander will pop out.

malfcn

I take all the guards out with no alert, and they keep spawning. Oh well.
I knew it'd be too easy to just knock out the 4 guards and be done. Reinforcements always happen I see.

I just finished playing Peace Walker, so maybe I can help you.

To get the commander to pop out of a vehicle, first you have to neutralize all the reinforcements (either by killing them or knocking them out & fulton recovering them). If you haven't been spotted by the vehicle and all the reinforcements have been defeated the commander will immediately pop out of his vehicle. If the vehicle has spotted you and you have defeated all the reinforcements then you'll have to damage the vehicle to make the commander pop out (usually it takes 3 bars of damage, but some vehicles required 4 bars of damage for the commander to pop out so I suppose it varies). Keep in mind, some vehicles have several waves of reinforcements... you have to be patient at times. Most vehicles will release 4 waves of reinforcements.

Hopefully this works for you.

I take all the guards out with no alert, and they keep spawning. Oh well.
I knew it'd be too easy to just knock out the 4 guards and be done. Reinforcements always happen I see.

I know your frustration but there's a limit. Eventually, they will stop.

In the later stuff, when you upgrade to the highest-level Analyser, you can check how many soldiers are remaining.

Do we know if Strangelove will be in Phantom Pain ?

There hasn't been any indication or hint that Strangelove will be in The Phantom Pain.

At this time we just don't know. Hopefully she will be in TPP. Hopefully it will expand upon her relationship with Huey, and maybe lead into the birth of Otacon and reveal Strangelove to be his mother. But this is all speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom