• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be lucky if I ever play this game again. I think one run will be good enough for me, just want to make sure I understand the story because the little summary in front of ground zeroes did not give me enough context. Just got on chapter 3 myself.

That and the dumb song the robots hum, it really grinds on my nerves. The person who was in charge of sound design needs a new job.

This is my first time through it, as well, and as soon as I read "the dumb song the robots hum" my hair bristled. It will probably be stuck in my head, now, too.

As for the game itself, I'm wavering back and forth of whether I like it or not. The Mother Base stuff seemed really cool at first, but the further I get, the less it seems to matter. When they bring it back for Phantom Pain, I'd like to see more of a risk/reward element, where focusing too much on R&D would cost your Combat unit, which would then have serious in-game implications, for example. As is, I just keep stockpiling staff until I switch all of my E's for D's, D's for C's.

Whoever called this game Snake The Serial Kidnapper hit it on the head.

They should make the Mother Base stuff and the boss fights far less grindy, which goes without saying, really.

Or at the very least, make the grinding fun. But best thing is to remove all this grinding altogether.

malfcn

Confused why I am to be okay with Naomi. I thought she hated me. And why again did FOXDIE kill Liquid but not Solidus and me. Genes are just different enough?

And this rolling Octopus is pissing me off.

Holykael1

Banned
Confused why I am to be okay with Naomi. I thought she hated me. And why again did FOXDIE kill Liquid but not Solidus and me. Genes are just different enough?

The Foxdie thing will be explained in due time.
Naomi doesn't hate you anymore, she came to terms with what happened to Grey Fox by the end of MGS 1. Don't you remember her speech to snake at the end of mgs 1? She says Foxdie can trigger at any time, Snake can die anytime like Liquid or anyone else with that genetic code, it's random but he shouldnt let himself be chained by his genes, live life without worries.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WZHpPaWTm0

Ishida

Banned

Honest question (Not trying to be an ass, I'm serious) but were you paying attention at the previous games?

Naomi no longer "hates" Snake. She has "forgiven him" somewhat, because she finally knows what Snake and Gray Fox fought for, and that they are still friends. She also knows that Frank holds no grudge against Snake for what happened before.

Naomi MAY still resent Snake, a little, but she no longer hates him.

And FOXDIE... Well, it is implied in the original MGS that Solid and Liquid are not truly identical. They still have small differences on their DNA, as does Solidus. Naomi designed FOXDIE so that it may kill Solid Snake at any random time. This revenge would be more terrible, dooming him to know he could die of a heart attack at any time, without warning. That was Naomi's revenge against Snake.

Metal Gear Solid 4 spoilers (DO NOT READ THEM until you complete Act 3!):
It is revealed that Liquid and Solid are not 100% clones of Big Boss. Their DNA was altered, and they are indeed different from their father, and from each other. And no, there's no cure for FOXDIE like Liquid thought.

And Laughing Octopus is not hard if you know what you are doing. When she starts to roll, just get over one of the many beds around. She won't be able to hit you there.

malfcn

I assumed they were different, and that FOXDIE could trigger any time. But I read something that must have been wrong. And I did forget about her forgiveness, I only remember the resentment. I do now remember Snake not telling her the truth about Gray.

And I often have a habit of playing when I'm exhausted, and miss things. :-(

I'm going for non - lethal on Octopus. I knife her until she is low. Then she does stuff like jump through a window off radar. I don't take damage until then - then my attacks start clipping through her.

JayEH

So recently this guy got a thread dedicating to his review on Dark Souls 2. I haven't watched that yet due to not completing that game yet but he's also done reviews of all of the mainline Metal Gear games (including Peace Walker)

You can check it out here.

His "reviews" are more critiques and are thus very long. He goes through the whole game so be sure to know there will be spoilers. I recommend everyone check out not only his MG reviews but other games as well.

AlienKebab

Neo Member
Don't see why you people hate on Rising other than being canon.
It's a
solid
and decent action game, with lots of good bosses and an excellent soundtrack that fits the game very well.
But yes, the story isn't anything to take seriously, but is entertaining when seen as a parody or joke.

And speaking of rankings

MGS1 > MGS3 > MGS2 > MGS4 > MGR > Peace Walker

G-Fex

I'm really enjoying MGS3. Ocelot fight was great. I think tomorrow it'll be time for me to get to FEAAAAAAAARRRRRR and The End.

based on playing GZ, TPP can be above MGS2 as best MGS game for me.

yeah will be really interesting to see how well they can pull off TPP.
Ground Zeroes was really fun gameplay-wise and really dark story-tone-wise. Very eager to see how it comes together.
(didn't rank GZ as it wouldn't be fair)

Woffls

The more I play MGS4, the more obvious it is to me that the story really suffered from trying to clear up all the other loose ends. It's such a sporadic narrative, and I don't really enjoy watching the cut-scenes any more. Though, I did just sit through all of them for the third time.

Even MGS2 was so much more focussed. It might have been a bit ridiculous, but it was a solid (har har) story. I think I might put 4 back behind 1 in my rankings... but it's close.

Finished Rising last week and it absolutely blew me away. Such a fun game. Everything about it was spot on.

MacNille

Banned
I think that Senator Armstrong is one of the best villians in VG in recent years. Is he complex? Not so much. Is his design unique? Nope, but he is just so much fun. You can't take this guy seriously! I don't think that I have laugh so fucking much when I fought him.
551.jpg

Also, Sundowner has the biggest shiteating grin in VG history.
%D0%B3%D0%B8%D1%84%D0%BA%D0%B0-%D0%98%D0%B3%D1%80%D1%8B-913016.gif

Batzi

Banned
Rankings?

MGS2 > MGS3 > MGS4 > MGS1 > MGS: PW

In terms of gameplay:

MGSV:GZ>PW>MGS3>MGS4>MGS2>MPO>MGS1>MG2>MG1

In terms of story:

MGS3>MGS1>MGS2>MGS4>PW>MGSV:GZ>MPO>MG2>MG1

In terms of boss fights:

MGS3=MGS1>MGS2>PW>MGS4>MPO>MG2>MG1

Overall

Metal Gear > Everything else.

JayEH

I think that Senator Armstrong is one of the best villians in VG in recent years. Is he complex? Not so much. Is his design unique? Nope, but he is just so much fun. You can't take this guy seriously! I don't think that I have laugh so fucking much when I fought him.
551.jpg

Also, Sundowner has the biggest shiteating grin in VG history.
%D0%B3%D0%B8%D1%84%D0%BA%D0%B0-%D0%98%D0%B3%D1%80%D1%8B-913016.gif

Can't disagree with this. I wish more Western games would go really goofy with their villains.

Ephemeris

I wish I could understand my MGS brothers and sisters who put MGS2 above the rest. I read the reasonings but I just can't. :(

SJRB

Gold Member
Man, Strangelove's boobs are rather disappointing in HD. This endeavour was a waste of time.

My list feels like this for now. Thanks to Batzi for the format.

In terms of gameplay:

MGSV:GZ=MGR=MGS4>PW>MGS3>MGS2>MPO>MGS1>MG2>MG1

In terms of story:

MGS4=MGS2>MGS1>MGS3>MG2>MGR>MGSV:GZ>MPO>MG1

In terms of boss fights:

MGR=MGS2>MGS3>MGS4>MGS1>PW>MPO>MG2>MG1

Overall

wilsonda

In terms of gameplay:

In terms of story:

In terms of boss fights:

Overall

Yea, I've got to agree with this post 100%

atr0cious

So I went off looking for more renditions of Snake Eater and happened across this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkEV-RI6aGI

But what was more surprising was the comment section:
Phalanxification said:
Hideo Kojima created Metal Gear Solid 3. Years of development, millions of dollars spent... And I just got the joke. It was all for a Snakes and Ladders pun. You may start kicking yourselves now.

I never thought of that.

SJRB

Gold Member
Hahaha. You were going for the wrong girl. Amanda is the hottest in Peace Walker.

I have a thing for Strangelove, I love her snobby attitute. Also, she's smart. Vanessa Marshall is one of the best voice actors in the series.

But when it comes to looks I agree with Miller: Cecile is where it's at man, come on.

Pollux

I've never played anything in this series, can I jump in with GZ? I know the answer is no, p but I no longer have a PS3.

valkyre

In terms of gameplay:

In terms of story:

In terms of boss fights:

Overall

I'll use this great template as well:

In terms of gameplay:

MGSV:GZ>MGS4>MGS3>PW>MGS2>MPO>MGS1>MG2>MG1

In terms of story:

MGS1=MGS3>MGS4>MGS2>MG1>PW>MPO>MG2

In terms of boss fights:

MGS1=MGS4>MGS3>MGS2>MG1>PW>MPO>MG2

Overall

Metal Gear > Everything else. Damn Straight!

Kajiba

Yesterday finally got 100% in Ground Zeroes. Feels good man.

I'll join the ranking list a little.

MGS3>MGS1>MGS2>MGS4

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
In terms of gameplay:

In terms of story:

In terms of boss fights:

Overall

Yep, best way to do it. I'd fiddle with some of your rankings but it's just impossible to single out the best MGS.

MormaPope

Banned
Wow, since we're doing series ratings -

Gameplay:
1. MGS2/A+
2. MGS Ground Zeroes/A+
3. MGS3/A
4. MGS1/B
5. MGS Peacewalker/B-
6. MGS4/C
7. Metal Gear 2/C-
8. Metal Gear 1/D

Story:
1. MGS2/A+
2. MGS3/A
3. MGS1/A
4. MGS Ground Zeroes/B
5. MGS Peace Walker/C
*Astronomical difference in story quality, unbelievable difference
6. Metal Gear 2/D
7. MGS4/D-
8. Metal Gear 1/D-

Boss fights:
1. MGS3/A+
2. MGS2/A
3. MGS1/A
4. MGS Peacewalker/C
5. MGS4/D
6. Metal Gear 2/D
7. Metal Gear 1/D

Holykael1

Banned
Alright

Gameplay:

MG Rising > MGS 4 > MGS 2 > MGS 1 > MGS PW = MGS 3

Story:

MGS 2 > MGS 4 > MGS 3 > MGS 1 > MGS PW > MG Rising

Boss Fights:(I'm not very clear on this point, is it in terms of narrative or gameplay? Im guessing from a gameplay standpoint)

MGS 1 > MG Rising > MGS 2=MGS 3 > MGS 4 > MGS PW

Overall:

Zero Escape > Metal Gear = Final Fantasy = Chrono = Xeno = Ace Attorney > Ys = Castlevania > everything else

I wish I could understand my MGS brothers and sisters who put MGS2 above the rest. I read the reasonings but I just can't. :(

Nostalgia mainly. It was so amazing when it came out. Great replay value too with just fooling around with the guards and details in the environment.

MormaPope

Banned
]Nostalgia mainly[/B]. It was so amazing when it came out. Great replay value too with just fooling around with the guards and details in the environment.

If that's how simple your argument is, people that put MGS4 above any MGS titles in any category engage in intellectual BDSM on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom