• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
These sentries are a bit silly. I can't sneak up behind them, but I can lay on the ground and let them shoot me and it's taking minutes to deplete my health. Super hearing, and poor aim.

Sneak up to them with the dpad, you footsteps won't make any noise then.

SJRB

Gold Member
The whole 007 exchange between Snake and Major Zero was awesome. I also laughed at the mention of a snake-shaped gun, rather than a pen-shaped one like in Bond films, so Snake could pretend he was struggling against one to throw enemies off. It's the only time I remember Zero being so exhasperated over something, which helped make the situation even better.

I wonder how different everything would've been if Zero had a different voice actor.

The "cop-out" that Zero started the Patriots because of undying love and admiration for the Boss is 100% nonsense if you replay MGS3, where Zero gives no fucks about the Boss whatsoever. Or anything else, for that matter.

You never get the notion Snake and Zero are good friends, let alone brothers for life like MGS4 wants you to believe. And you certainly never get the notion Zero gives a fuck about anything, really. Snake just escaped prison, jumped down this massive sewer drainage, had a near-death experience? Zero doesn't give a fuck. The Boss ambushes Snake in the middle of the forest? Zero doesn't care. All the stuff with EVA, Sokolov, Granin? Whatever.

Or at least, Zero SOUNDS like he doesn't care. Replaying MGS3 only makes me hate MGS4 even more because it not only retroactively shits on everything and everybody from MGS2, but also ruins MGS3.

G-Fex

I wonder how different everything would've been if Zero had a different voice actor.

The "cop-out" that Zero started the Patriots because of undying love and admiration for the Boss is 100% nonsense if you replay MGS3, where Zero gives no fucks about the Boss whatsoever. Or anything else, for that matter.

You never get the notion Snake and Zero are good friends, let alone brothers for life like MGS4 wants you to believe. And you certainly never get the notion Zero gives a fuck about anything, really. Snake just escaped prison, jumped down this massive sewer drainage, had a near-death experience? Zero doesn't give a fuck. The Boss ambushes Snake in the middle of the forest? Zero doesn't care. All the stuff with EVA, Sokolov, Granin? Whatever.

Or at least, Zero SOUNDS like he doesn't care. Replaying MGS3 only makes me hate MGS4 even more because it not only retroactively shits on everything and everybody from MGS2, but also ruins MGS3.

I'm going to really agree with this.

funkypie

Banned
not played metal gear or metal gear solid snake.

so if big boss is running outer heaven why does he send in and help snake bring down his own base?

I personally think kojima lost the plot and for no reason just starting shoving big boss down our throats

even forcing old snake in mgs4 to wear that stupid eye thing to look like the boss.

Holykael1

Banned

There is a way to explain this. Dont forget that we only see Zero during the mission and during the mission he is representing the government of the United States and he sure as hell is being monitored , he can only do his job, the boss was "an enemy" of the USA. He couldn't possibly show his true feelings on the matter, he has a job to do and that's all.

We never actually got to see the man behind Major Zero.

His more personal interactions as well as his actual personality/motivations/hopes and dreams with big boss can only be seen outside of that context and unfortunately we are never shown that but it's implicit that it happens after the Snake Eater debacle in between Peace Walker and MGS 3.

I do get where you are coming from though, I just choose to have a different interpretation.

Betty

Banned
not played metal gear or metal gear solid snake.

so if big boss is running outer heaven why does he send in and help snake bring down his own base?

I personally think kojima lost the plot and for no reason just starting shoving big boss down our throats

even forcing old snake in mgs4 to wear that stupid eye thing to look like the boss.

Big Boss sends in Snake because he hopes his inexperience will cause him to fail, he also sets traps for Snake and gives him bad advice on purpose.

krioto

I'm playing through the games on my vita. just finished mgs2, the ending of that game is just mental.
Now onto mgs3 (first time), then peacewalker andvack to gz

randomwab

Weirdly enough, I have similar VA issues for MGS3, but for two other characters; The Boss and Volgin. Genuinely dislike both performances and they're the main reason I've never been able to properly care for that game's story. Volgin always sounded to over the top and cartoonish for me to see as a real threat.

The Boss is just more of a personal thing, she just sounded to cold and uncaring. I can see how some might like that performance and it can fit an interpration of her character, but my taking was that she was a more caring and motherly figure, albeit still professional. To me, it's that idea for the character that would make me understand why almost everyone in the universe who meets her ends up fawning over her and her having left a large impact on them, even in such short meetings. I think Kojima even mentioned a narturing aspect to her character in regards to the Japanese voice. To me, that's lost with the English dub.

Betty

Banned
Sounds stupid. Why not send in nobody.

It was Snakes first actual mission, Big Boss assumed the rookie wouldn't stand a chance, in his mind it was just the logical thing to do, I don't know how many other operatives he had, but picking Snake seemed as good a choice as any.

Also, Chico and Paz would only listen to Snake. Because there's only one Snake. An MSF Soldier can easily be someone else like a spy.

Weirdly enough, I have similar VA issues for MGS3, but for two other characters; The Boss and Volgin. Genuinely dislike both performances and they're the main reason I've never been able to properly care for that game's story. Volgin always sounded to over the top and cartoonish for me to see as a real threat.

The Boss is just more of a personal thing, she just sounded to cold and uncaring. I can see how some might like that performance and it can fit an interpration of her character, but my taking was that she was a more caring and motherly figure, albeit still professional. To me, it's that idea for the character that would make me understand why almost everyone in the universe who meets her ends up fawning over her and her having left a large impact on them, even in such short meetings. I think Kojima even mentioned a narturing aspect to her character in regards to the Japanese voice. To me, that's lost with the English dub.

I always thought Volgin's voice matched his character, as he's an over the top and cartoonish dude. Even though he's not a deep character, I feel his particular quirks make him very indelible in my opinion.

MacNille

Banned
highfive.gif

Three times for me, one on psp, one on HD and again before GZ launched. I can definitely see myself playing through it again somewhere down the line.

But man, screw S ranking all those long, boring, near endless vehicle boss battles again, in fact, screw even going near them ever again.
I tried to get S ranking, but I said fuck it! the vehicle boss battle are so boring. They will never end.

Also, Snake mustache in MGS4 is awesome.

Soodanim

I played a lot of Peace Walker HD, but there is no way I was going to do those vehicle missions. I did a few in order to get some special items (bandanna, IIRC) but after that I decided there was absolutely nothing to gain from it. I got bored of the
Monster Hunter
missions too, because they take an equal amount of foreverness to do.

This thread does make me want to play MGS3 again though. Perhaps try out one of those air support strikes that I've never done before.

Branson

I've never really done a playthrough of just murdering everyone like its a shooter on mgs2-3. You get all of these lethal weapons but don't really use them. I kind of want to play that way on another playthrough.

malfcn

Sneak up to them with the dpad, you footsteps won't make any noise then.

Wait, what? Even if my analog is barely tilted and I'm sneaking? I thought that was that benefit of analog versus digital. Unless digital is for sneaking only..

And I have just been murdering everyone from behind. But every now and then when I interrogate at knife point it has a difficult time slitting afterwards.

Omikaru

Wait, what? Even if my analog is barely tilted and I'm sneaking? I thought that was that benefit of analog versus digital. Unless digital is for sneaking only..

And I have just been murdering everyone from behind. But every now and then when I interrogate at knife point it has a difficult time slitting afterwards.
In MGS3, sneaking using the analog stick works up to a point, then you need to use the d-pad. D-pad movement is actually something called "stalking" which makes you inaudible, but uses up more stamina. It is a different gameplay function than analog sneaking.

jett

D-Member
Man I can't stand Peace Walker. This game is more awful than I could've imagined. Those are six hours of my life I'll never get back.

Well slap my bottom and call me a baby, I never knew that. Wonder what other little mechanics I've missed.

After you grab an enemy, throw him to the ground. If you point the gun immediately then you'll neutralize him without killing him, you'll sort of take him hostage. Shoot between his legs to get items. :p

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
It's been a while since I played MGS3, wondering if this gameplay mechanic is still in the game:

According to very early previews, if you blow up a storage facility, soldiers won't be able to eat food and will wander around hungry. It affects their performance and you can hear their stomachs growling.

That's the immersion I love... but I can't remember if it was actually in the game.

malfcn

It's been a while since I played MGS3, wondering if this gameplay mechanic is still in the game:

According to very early previews, if you blow up a storage facility, soldiers won't be able to eat food and will wander around hungry. It affects their performance and you can hear their stomachs growling.

That's the immersion I love... but I can't remember if it was actually in the game.

I had a communication that told me to do this. But I didn't want to alert everyone, so it is in there.

Omikaru

It works, but it puts enemies in the area into "caution" mode. However, at a later point you will reap the benefits when guards are hungry. They will literally eat anything you throw at them without question, including poisonous/rotten food that takes them out.

I believe you can also destroy weapon supplies, which means enemies are more reluctant to fire at you if you're spotted, since they need to conserve their ammunition.

Also, if you take out the helicopter with C4 early on in the game, at a later part you won't have to deal with it flying around a certain area.

malfcn

I am struggling to get out of the office that Sokolov was supposed to be in. There are scientists everywhere, but that outfit doesn't work for squat.

Betty

Banned
I am struggling to get out of the office that Sokolov was supposed to be in. There are scientists everywhere, but that outfit doesn't work for squat.

Don't let the scientists see your face. Keep your back to them when they're looking at you.

Man, I love the dive in GZ, but nothing will ever beat the roll or cartwheel.
Watching Snake roll down stairs only to fall on his ass never gets old.

JayEH

It was Snakes first actual mission, Big Boss assumed the rookie wouldn't stand a chance, in his mind it was just the logical thing to do, I don't know how many other operatives he had, but picking Snake seemed as good a choice as any.

I think Big Boss also wanted to get Solid Snake killed because he was still salty over getting cloned.

There is a way to explain this. Dont forget that we only see Zero during the mission and during the mission he is representing the government of the United States and he sure as hell is being monitored , he can only do his job, the boss was "an enemy" of the USA. He couldn't possibly show his true feelings on the matter, he has a job to do and that's all.

We never actually got to see the man behind Major Zero.

His more personal interactions as well as his actual personality/motivations/hopes and dreams with big boss can only be seen outside of that context and unfortunately we are never shown that but it's implicit that it happens after the Snake Eater debacle in between Peace Walker and MGS 3.

I do get where you are coming from though, I just choose to have a different interpretation.
I think the problems is that explanations about what MGS4 did are just that... explanations. They don't really fill in characterization gaps as much as explain why a gap is there.

malfcn

The details in this game, it's crazy.
But I am in a room full of scientists and they are all ogling me. Can't turn my back on one because the other sees me. And even if I knock both out the alarm goes off regardless.

malfcn

Hilarious, because I swore I tried that and it didn't work. Did it tell you not to have them see your face?
Will try again, but there is another silencer and battery that would come in handy.

Nice, pressing the action button while in the scientist coat pushes up your glasses.
If you hold it, it may hide your face.

And guards will kick you down. And when trying to escape one caught me and threw me in jail. Hah.

Soodanim

But I am in a room full of scientists and they are all ogling me. Can't turn my back on one because the other sees me. And even if I knock both out the alarm goes off regardless.
That's one area of the game that I'm really bad at.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, even if it's only to see your first time thoughts (on one of the best games ever made).

braves01

Banned

One of my favorite details was this EGM cover that's lying around near an entrance desk in one of the buildings

EGM_186.jpg

malfcn

Just beat The Fear. These bosses are pretty easy, but their characters are cool.

One of my favorite details was this EGM cover that's lying around near an entrance desk in one of the buildings

EGM_186.jpg

There are a ton of EGM magazines in the Lab. But they had a different cover.
I think it may have been this one.

EGM_178.jpg

Tbone3336

Gold Member
Having been a lurker on these boards for a while this is a thread to make me post to regarding my favorite series. OP you "played us like a damn fiddle" so I'm subscribing!

Thanks and great post!

Holykael1

Banned
I think the problems is that explanations about what MGS4 did are just that... explanations. They don't really fill in characterization gaps as much as explain why a gap is there.

That's a fair point but I don't see how they could cram Zero's implicitly complex character development into MGS4(especially since it already had such a massive amount of things to explain and finalize), they gave us a basic outline of the events with understandable motivations.
The prequels are being made to flesh out that part of the story in more close detail, personally Im totally ok with that.

braves01

Banned
Just beat The Fear. These bosses are pretty easy, but their characters are cool.

There are a ton of EGM magazines in the Lab. But they had a different cover.
I think it may have been this one.

Probably, especially since the one I posted was a review cover. Maybe the review cover was added in for the HD collection or subsistence? I don't remember what it was exactly, but I know I had whichever issue it was.

NYR94

Hilarious, because I swore I tried that and it didn't work. Did it tell you not to have them see your face?
Will try again, but there is another silencer and battery that would come in handy.

Nice, pressing the action button while in the scientist coat pushes up your glasses.
If you hold it, it may hide your face.

And guards will kick you down. And when trying to escape one caught me and threw me in jail. Hah.

You can also get by that part easily with the cardboard box equipped. The scientists will be puzzled but they won't sound the alarm.

One of the fun things about the Raikov costume is that you can go up to the alarms and pull them and no one goes after you because they think you're really him. Not to mention being able to punch the enemies in the face whenever you want.

MacNille

Banned
I have come to the mountaintop of MGS3 where he meet EVA again. David Hayter really nail here how Naked Snake feel about the Boss. I like how he is feeling conflict about his mission and his relationship with the Boss. The music is also great in that scene. The sexual tension between EVA and Naked Snake is also pretty good.

NYR94

I have come to the mountaintop of MGS3 where he meet EVA again. David Hayter really nail here how Naked Snake feel about the Boss. I like how he is feeling conflict about his mission and his relationship with the Boss. The music is also great in that scene. The sexual tension between EVA and Naked Snake is also pretty good.

Yeah, that's a great scene. Makes sneaking through that mountain section worth it.

malfcn

Man, the End is wearing me down.
Caught his trail and put that old man to sleep.

Ugh, I should have held him up.

Bond007

Legacy Collection is back in stock on Amazon for those still hunting.
Just ordered mine finally. Not sure what took me so long....maybe realizing it was getting harder to get.

Sometimes i take my fav series for granted i guess. lol

MacNille

Banned
The scene where Volgin beat up Snake is nasty a hell. The camera angels, the colors, everything in it make it harder to watch. Poor Snake :(

malfcn

Mmhmm Eva wants Snake bad. I can't believe I just sorted out the fixed vs free camera setting. Wow.
The Fury is burning my hide.

malfcn

Holy shit at
Snake's torture scene. The bag expanding and contracting, getting pummeled and shot in the eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom