• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Hahaha! Hell yeah! I know exactly what you mean. I watched that 27-minute MGS:TTS trailer every day before its release, and I still play The Twin Snakes to this day. I never feel burnt out, no matter how many times I watch the stuff -- in most cases, it's all out of context, pre-release, so I generally don't feel all that spoiled when the games release!

Oh, my God. I am so scared, too. I've been debating whether or not I should watch the last trailer. It all depends. If a release date is revealed, I'm sure we'll get an article "MGS5 release date revealed: May 5, 2015 (HERE'S HOPING! XD)" and I may just try to let that be enough... Agh. Then again, there's no way I will be able to resist! :p I'll probably watch the final trailer every day! XD Honestly, the MGS4: Courage is Solid trailer is one of my favorite of all time and that one released just weeks before the game. It was so cheesy and I loved every second of it!

Oh boy yes, i watched the 26 minutes TTS trailer too countless of times.

Haha yeah. Fuck yes, the Courage is Solid trailer is awesome. "THIS SUMMER....STOP ...BROTHER IT'S BEEN TOO LONG!"

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Damn there's a weapon in Peace Walker that needs an insane ammount of Heroism...I guess my Mother Base will never be 100% :(

Read this really good breakdown of when we are likely to get a release date. This was part of it:

MGS 4
Announcment: February 26, 2008
Released : June 12, 2008
So 3 months, 17 days.

Peace Walker
Announcment: Roughly November 30, 2009 (can't find the exact date on that)
Released : March 18, 2010 (Japanese release)
So 3 months, 18 days.

Ground Zeroes
Announcment: December 9, 2013
Released : March 18, 2014
So 3 months, 9 days

So we're looking at a promotional push roughly 12-14 weeks long.

Link: MGSForums

Oh boy yes, i watched the 26 minutes TTS trailer too countless of times.

Haha yeah. Fuck yes, the Courage is Solid trailer is awesome. "THIS SUMMER....STOP ...BROTHER IT'S BEEN TOO LONG!"

THE SYSTEM. IS MINE!!!!!! So perfect. Amazing trailer!

JayEH

Oh shoot. I forgot PAX east is in early March. Seems like a better place to announce a release date compared to GDC. He could even have it playable there!

God damn, I forgot about that Courage is Solid trailer. I watched the shit out of that.

That's interesting about the roughly 3 and a half month gap between announcement and release. I'm pretty much accepted it will be no earlier than June and it's looking likely at this point.

JayEH

I turn on a unknighted stream for the first time and the first thing I hear is the guy screaming at chat for making fun of the Japanese language? ok...

Time to go back to AGDQ.

Just like Murkrow?
leuhkikcskn4.gif

Dawg

The Courage is Solid trailer is all right, but Kojima clearly stepped up his game with the MGS V trailers. Way better emotion, music and quality.

The Courage is Solid trailer is all right, but Kojima clearly stepped up his game with the MGS V trailers. Way better emotion, music and quality.

And way less spoilers from what I can grasp anyway...

Fuck we really don't know shit about this, and between that Troy Baker interview from last year where he said the game was HUGE HUGE HUGE and that we've seen nothing yet, and what with Kojipro seemingly moving into the final phases of production I really hope we will see the game super soon rather than super late.

I am worried and excited at the same time but mostly this:

tumblr_lotxf4Dj9m1qlfu1ho1_500.gif

Because I want the release date and the game in my hands and on my PC and PS4 right fucking NOW!

I'm finally getting round to playing all the Metal Gear games in preparation for 5.

I played 1 and 2 back when I was a wee lad and Twin Snakes sometime after.

After a 2 day playthrough of MGS3 this Friday/Saturday I have started Peace Walker (so I can eventually play Ground Zeroes)

I heard alot of negative things about Peace Walker beforehand but I'm baffled to where these thoughts came from. I love the 'interactive' comic panel cutscenes and I'm really surprised by how great the game looks on the HD collection and just how well it plays.

The story is also keeping me interested for now. Though I'm only roughly 5 hours in.

The Mother Base feature is also interesting. I haven't had a chance to check out the co-op yet but I've got that planned to happen sometime this week, hopefully.

Pinewood

I also hope to get into MGS V without spoiling it too much. With MGS 1 and 2 I made the mistake of using a walkthrough (I know..) and actually reading it ahed from my iPod in bed because the game was so compelling. And by the time I got to MGS 3 I already knew most of its story.

I'm glad 4 wasn't spoiled to me despite playing it 2 years after release and same goes for Peace Walker.

Im kinda sad that I stupidly went to the Paz page on a MG wiki and it spoiled some of GZ to me.

1000x500px-LL-dc954650_jack-bauer-24.jpg

I'm finally getting round to playing all the Metal Gear games in preparation for 5.

I heard alot of negative things about Peace Walker beforehand but I'm baffled to where these thoughts came from. I love the 'interactive' comic panel cutscenes and I'm really surprised by how great the game looks on the HD collection and just how well it plays.

The story is also keeping me interested for now. Though I'm only roughly 5 hours in.

The Mother Base feature is also interesting. I haven't had a chance to check out the co-op yet but I've got that planned to happen sometime this week, hopefully.

Welcome, BROTHER!!

Not to suck Peace Walker's yellow dick or anything, but yeah, I know what you mean. There's a lot of negativity surrounding the game at this forum, which I never understood myself. I think the story is great - straightforward and to the point; a much different approach to storytelling than its predecessors. The cinematic-to-gameplay ratio is a lot closer to Ground Zeroes than, say, MGS4. (I love MGS cutscenes -- just giving an idea of how the story is presented.)

Mother Base is an excellent metagame. The more you dedicate yourself to gathering resources (soldiers, vehicles, items, etc.), the better chance your base has of supporting you in the field, and in turn, the higher probability of success you have. But not only is it about acquiring resources, it's about developing them. You are able to upgrade your items through a series of menus and take them into battle with you once their development has completed. (Items have ranks; generally, rank 1-5, so you want to make sure you're doing whatever you can to attain GMP, the game's currency.) Outer Ops is another fun game found within - those soldiers and vehicles you pick up throughout the game, well, you can send them out on missions to bring back resources, and the harder the mission difficulty, the better the resources. This brings me to Soldier Search. Soldier Search is a means to acquiring soldiers who possess a higher skill set than most found within the game itself. Early on, you'll recruit mostly low-level soldiers. However, as you progress throughout the story and build up your Mother Base, stronger soldiers will make themselves available in hopes of joining MSF. These soldiers, playable in most missions (as are any of the soldiers you would pick up normally, to be clear), may even be a more valuable asset in the field than Snake, so keep that in mind when hitting up Mission Prep.! I've found soldiers who have greater speed and strength than Snake himself, so keep an eye out!

Also, I wholeheartedly recommend playing co-op. Preferably with someone you know, but if not - no worries! The game has a filter that lets you avoid playing further into the story than you already are, should you be worried about being spoiled. If you ever need a co-op partner, let me know; I'm always around and up for walking some peace.

Anyways, welcome to the party!

Sn4ke_911

I'll kick a cat in the face if someone spoils MGSV for me.

This is a pretty boss statue of Solidus tbh.

You interested, Sn4ke?

FIG-IPN-4453.jpg

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIG-IPN-4453

I already have it. As i said, i have every single Metal Gear merchandise released yet. I give Konami so much money that they even sent me the unfinished Ocelot figure that was shown in the christmas Kojima station :smugface:

strafer

I'll kick a cat in the face if someone spoils MGSV for me.

I already have it. As i said, i have every single Metal Gear merchandise released yet. I give Konami so much money that they even sent me the unfinished Ocelot figure that was shown in the christmas Kojima station :smugface:

Better avoid the internet then. :p

im sure someone will

Nibel

Pic or did not happen

Sn4ke_911

Reasons!
leuhkikcskn4.gif
Sn4ke_911 introduced me to it -- we started using it during the David Hayter hype buildup!

Haha yeah, that is #TeamA's logo
leuhkikcskn49vu6r.gif

Did someone spoil 4 for you?

Yep and it still hurts.

Quotes from a few pages back.

Also i was one of the victims who got the MGS4 ending spoiled with this fucking playtest pic.

It still hurts.... something like this won't happen with MGSV, that's for damn sure.

http://www.gameguru.in/images/metal-gear-solid-4-spoiler-1.jpg

I believe there was playtest somewhere in europe a few weeks before the official release and somehow some douche sneaked a picture out of it.

It is probably the biggest spoiler in the game so yeah a big FUCK YOU to this guy and to the security who didn't took their phones and shit for the play test.

Pic or did not happen

Nibel pls.

I don't get any figure, only if it's in a collector's edition or something.

If i start collecting that stuff then i can't stop and want every single MGS merchandise available.

but Chinner is so mean :( he keeps trolling me. Everytime a new figure shows up he ask me if i'll get this figure and i already said countless of times that i don't collect this stuff because if i start buying Metal Gear merchandise i want everything.

Sn4ke_911

Oh man, that's rough.

and that wasn't a small spoiler either

Yeah, biggest spoiler in the whole fucking game. They spoiled a lot with the trailers but they never showed
Big Boss.

I was devastated....

Dawg

I think it's funny ol' Sn4ku got spoiled while I didn't even know what MGS4 was until 2009 where I played all the MGS games without spoilers.

Sn4ke_911

Dawg

Wow, i've been with this series since i was a little kid. I remember the first time my friend and i watched the MGS1 trailer on a demo disc from a game magazine.

One of my biggest gaming regrets is not having played Metal Gear Solid back in the day.

Can you imagine MGS4 being your first MGS game?

CAN YOU?!

Sn4ke_911

One of my biggest gaming regrets is not having played Metal Gear Solid back in the day.

Can you imagine MGS4 being your first MGS game?

CAN YOU?!

I can not and i'm so glad i experienced all those games when they came out. The first time i played the Tanker level in MGS2 was indescribable. Seriously i never felt anything like this before. This game was so ahead of it's time with the rain effects, if Snake is too long outside he starts sneezing, the enemy AI etc. It was unbelievable good back in the days and still is (melting ice cubes WTF)

My local store had a station with the MGS2 demo running, so everyday after school i drove with my buddy to that store and played the hell outta this demo, until the manager came and said it's enough for today, come back tomorrow or so lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom