• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawg

My local store had a station with the MGS2 demo running, so everyday after school i drove with my buddy to that store and played the hell outta this demo, until the manager came and said it's enough for today, come back tomorrow or so lol.

That's cute.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

ianljkvw5ufy.gif

I can not and i'm so glad i experienced all those games when they came out. The first time i played the Tanker level in MGS2 was indescribable. Seriously i never felt anything like this before. This game was so ahead of it's time with the rain effects, if Snake is too long outside he starts sneezing, the enemy AI etc. It was unbelievable good back in the days and still is (melting ice cubes WTF)

15 years later, and the stuff MGS2 did still holds up today, and in some aspects, is still unmatched. (To be fair though, most devs don't go the same mile that Kojima does in his games.)

That E3 2000 trailer, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk7aBSUAozE

Sn4ke_911

arkham knight looks way too derivative of the previous games to match what TPP looks like. if it's 75% of what they've described it's going to be one of the best games ever

Sn4ke_911

that or Arkham Knight

big_boss_and_batman_by_algiark-d7nezyu.jpg

I'm very excited for Arkham Knight but let's be real. It's basically the same game, yes it's bigger and looks better and has now the Batmobile but overall it's a Arkham game.

MGSV on the other hand is nothing like the other Metal Gear games. It uses a brand new engine, is for the first time open world, has tons of new features like multiplayer base infiltration, buddy system, day & night cycle, dynamic weather, seamless transition from cutscene to gameplay and so on.

Sorry Bats but the GOTY title should go to Big Boss this year.

Same for Uncharted 4, it just looks like an Uncharted game. MGSV on the other hand will change and revolutionize the whole stealth genre. I hope the press sees it that way and appreciates it as much as we do.

I hope the press sees it that way and appreciates it as much as we do.

"Oh, the game finally controls like it's a modern game."
"Man, did Kojima just sit on an finished game for a year to add all these easter eggs or what?"
"Man, these (gameplay/easter egg) stuff doesn't really fit the dark story. Such ludo-narrative dissonance."
"Man, what's with all these tapes? I miss codecs."

Honestly, that Donna Burke interview really hit it home for me. To me, it's hard to see every single Metal Gear Solid game as anything less than a deepest indulgence of the fans. (even MGS4)

To those who likes the serious parts, the funny parts, the deep overarching story, the characters, to those who wants new gameplay mechanics, new ideas, familiar experiences, to those who likes the references, the fanservices, the quirky, the fun...

Each Metal Gear Solid title has never felt like it lacked in any of those pieces. 4 was flawed in many ways, but it was still a game that was very much for the fans, recalling back all the favourites from 1/2 and giving them their deserved hurray, for better or worst. And every other game, there's enough familiarity that it's recognisably MGS, yet at the same time there's enough new ideas and improvements that the effort felt like it could've easily been for another new IP.

Sometimes, it feels like the press wants Kojima to shed away his quirky, perverted aspects in lieu of a more serious, more 'critics-darling' approach to making his games. Honestly, I feel like they fail to realise that Kojima has never sacrificed one or the other. His games have always have serious stories, strong themes with well-developed characters... that also have all the other extra quirks and perverted stuff that makes it MGS.

I've never once felt that MGS was ever in any way 'degraded' as a serious game despite all those things, but the vibe that I get from the press is that it does.

Pinewood

Next year has some pretty tight competition in the 3rd person action/adventure genre:

The Phantom Pain
Arkham Knight
Uncharted 4
Bloodborne
Witcher 3
The Order
New Zelda
The Division

etc.

Dawg

I don't see Arkham Knight as a challenger for MGS V.

Enough other titles.

Persona 5.

Zelda U.

Uncharted 4.

The Witcher 3.

"Oh, the game finally controls like it's a modern game."
"Man, did Kojima just sit on an finished game for a year to add all these easter eggs or what?"
"Man, these (gameplay/easter egg) stuff doesn't really fit the dark story. Such ludo-narrative dissonance."
"Man, what's with all these tapes? I miss codecs."

Honestly, that Donna Burke interview really hit it home for me. To me, it's hard to see every single Metal Gear Solid game as anything less than a deepest indulgence of the fans. (even MGS4)

To those who likes the serious parts, the funny parts, the deep overarching story, the characters, to those who wants new gameplay mechanics, new ideas, familiar experiences, to those who likes the references, the fanservices, the quirky, the fun...

Each Metal Gear Solid title has never felt like it lacked in any of those pieces. 4 was flawed in many ways, but it was still a game that was very much for the fans, recalling back all the favourites from 1/2 and giving them their deserved hurray, for better or worst. And every other game, there's enough familiarity that it's recognisably MGS, yet at the same time there's enough new ideas and improvements that the effort felt like it could've easily been for another new IP.

Sometimes, it feels like the press wants Kojima to shed away his quirky, perverted aspects in lieu of a more serious, more 'critics-darling' approach to making his games. Honestly, I feel like they fail to realise that Kojima has never sacrificed one or the other. His games have always have serious stories, strong themes with well-developed characters... that also have all the other extra quirks and perverted stuff that makes it MGS.

I've never once felt that MGS was ever in any way 'degraded' as a serious game despite all those things, but the vibe that I get from the press is that it does.

Excellent post.

I don't see Arkham Knight as a challenger for MGS V.

Enough other titles.

Persona 5.

Zelda U.

Uncharted 4.

The Witcher 3.

My favorite rap mixtape:

Fabolous_There_Is_No_Competition-front-large.jpg

Just S ranked Glaz and Palitz hard mode.

What a rush.

Hard mode is definitely hard for me, haha. Guards can actually SEE.

I'm just not as good, but after perfecting my route and set up, I finally managed it without getting spotted and under 4 mins. I was so frustrated and hating it so much, but after doing it successfully, there is no better feeling. Heart is still pumping.

Not looking forward to S ranking the main mission on hard, which is my last one. I always have issues after rescuing Paz. Part of the fun though is figuring out the route, but it just takes time getting to that sequence.

JayEH

Me? Please tell me where I should go!

yeah I posted in wrong thread.

Going for the MGS4 Platinum, starting today. Oh boy.

I attempted to do it on my old account when the trophy patch just came out but gave up :p Good luck!

Just S ranked Glaz and Palitz hard mode.

What a rush.

Hard mode is definitely hard for me, haha. Guards can actually SEE.

I'm just not as good, but after perfecting my route and set up, I finally managed it without getting spotted and under 4 mins. I was so frustrated and hating it so much, but after doing it successfully, there is no better feeling. Heart is still pumping.

Not looking forward to S ranking the main mission on hard, which is my last one. I always have issues after rescuing Paz. Part of the fun though is figuring out the route, but it just takes time getting to that sequence.

Do you play with reflex?

Pomo

Ahh I didn't realize
I've been up for far too long—my bad

I got the MGS3 platinum a few weeks ago and had a blast doing it, but this one seems quite a bit tougher

JayEH

I should really finish the MGS3 platinum. It isn't that hard but I just got so annoyed trying to catch all the animals.

Pinewood

long as they dont tie any trophies to it again, sounds like a good time

Friends forever - play the game through with the same companion

One fight stand - play the game through with a new companion on every mission

Twin snakes - you and your companion both use Snake

etc.

Banzai

Ahh I didn't realize
I've been up for far too long—my bad

I got the MGS3 platinum a few weeks ago and had a blast doing it, but this one seems quite a bit tougher

well the only really tough thing is that you have to get Big Boss rank and compared to the the other games MGS4 is much more forgiving when it comes to that. I mean its still not easy but it could be worse, as long as you equip yourself with other unlockables in previous playthroughs.

i was one of the ones who never believed in a trophy patch so i did all of that before it was released...

Welcome, BROTHER!!

Early on, you'll recruit mostly low-level soldiers. However, as you progress throughout the story and build up your Mother Base, stronger soldiers will make themselves available in hopes of joining MSF. These soldiers, playable in most missions (as are any of the soldiers you would pick up normally, to be clear), may even be a more valuable asset in the field than Snake, so keep that in mind when hitting up Mission Prep.! I've found soldiers who have greater speed and strength than Snake himself, so keep an eye out!

O7

I'll keep an eye out for that for sure!

Also, I wholeheartedly recommend playing co-op. Preferably with someone you know, but if not - no worries! The game has a filter that lets you avoid playing further into the story than you already are, should you be worried about being spoiled. If you ever need a co-op partner, let me know; I'm always around and up for walking some peace.

Anyways, welcome to the party!

I might take you up on that offer, I want to get a bit more familiar with the game first so I don't totally suck :p

JayEH

PW platinum is stupid because of all the MP/Co-op ones. I will be so pissed if there's a bunch of them in TPP.
There's probably going to be a bunch.

One of my biggest gaming regrets is not having played Metal Gear Solid back in the day.

Can you imagine MGS4 being your first MGS game?

CAN YOU?!

Mgs4 was also my first mgs game .
I remember it getting perfect tens, that meant that i had to pick it up. I had no idea what was going on story wise so i had to go on the wiki and read everything and even then it made no sense.

I also remember playing mgs 3 and getting confused why i was playing as solid snake again.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
PW platinum is stupid because of all the MP/Co-op ones. I will be so pissed if there's a bunch of them in TPP.
There's probably going to be a bunch.

One is kinda easy, just join 1 type of online game, can be done real quick.
Now, the "Get 2,000 Camaderie" is really dumb and the one that's making me doubt if the effort I'm putting into PW is worth it. It's more insulting that it's a secret trophy, so you can't even grind for it from the start.

yeah I posted in wrong thread.

I attempted to do it on my old account when the trophy patch just came out but gave up :p Good luck!

Do you play with reflex?

No reflex. I wanted it to be as hard and "true" as possible. I don't hate reflex, but felt like too much of a crutch and trivialized my experience, personally. Plus more points. Only thing about that though was when I would get caught, I didn't know who exactly saw me, which was frustrating.

I wish being spotted by one guy didn't alert the entire base, until he actually calls it in, but it all worked out in the end.

Sn4ke_911

Man I love where that gif comes from. Is the one time where Kojima actually seems upset that he has to keep making more Metal Gear.

I believe this is from that Metal Gear Rising interview where he had to come out and say that his team fucked up and they had to outsource it to Platinum Games.

Probably one of Kojima's lower points in his career.

Skullface

Do you guys think we will ever see ZOE3?

Man, I haven't played any of the ZOE games since the first, back in 2001/2. I didn't really like it. I remember it to have sloppy as hell controls. Maybe I just wasn't interested in it because I was too enamored with the MGS2 demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom