• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

My BROTHER
from another mother (base)
gifted me a copy of Resident Evil HD Remaster for Steam with this incredible message attached to it!

K4f4PRC.png

[LUDONARRATIVE DISSONANCE INTENSIFIES]

Sugoi!

i dont get it

Rajang

Man that Metal Gear Chico trailer is still so good.

I laugh so hard everytime I see it. Love how his running animation looks. It's like two chopsticks as legs running really fast, lmfao.

JayEH

Those are coming out awfully close to each other. Can't even pull a proper Hideo and make fans clammer for the next movie by not telling them when it's coming out.

Skullface

Wow... Playing the Metal Gear series chronologically is a challenge. You go from Peace Walker to Ground Zeroes, huge gameplay improvement- to Metal Gear 1 and 2 -_- Not that they're bad games, they just lack the flare of the Solid titles. I have key card 8 and I'm about to hatch me an owl to fool those retard Zanzibar Land guards XD

Choomp

Banned
Wow... Playing the Metal Gear series chronologically is a challenge. You go from Peace Walker to Ground Zeroes, huge gameplay improvement- to Metal Gear 1 and 2 -_- Not that they're bad games, they just lack the flare of the Solid titles. I have key card 8 and I'm about to hatch me an owl to fool those retard Zanzibar Land guards XD

Wouldn't you start at 3? I tried playing it chronologically, and I feel if you're doing that first time around the series 3 to PW would be a weird jump.

That looks like those are playtesting stations, omg IT'S COMING.

ROLL ON MARCH.

Hai! I couldn't get a perfect translation, but from what I gather, it seems they are indeed play-testing. Kojima's tweet mentions that it's harder to test out an open world game, because of so many various factors -- much easier to play-test a linear game.

Hai! I couldn't get a perfect translation, but from what I gather, it seems they are indeed play-testing. Kojima's tweet mentions that it's harder to test out an open world game, because of so many various factors -- much easier to play-test a linear game.

So it seems it will really be open world then? I mean that would be awesome, I merely imagined going on Missions that took place in large environments but then again seeing how much they emphasize the open world part and the walking from Africa to Afghanistan bit from one of those tweets from around E3/Gamescom.

...man holy shit I need this game.

So it seems it will really be open world then? I mean that would be awesome, I merely imagined going on Missions that took place in large environments but then again seeing how much they emphasize the open world part and the walking from Africa to Afghanistan bit from one of those tweets from around E3/Gamescom.

...man holy shit I need this game.

Don't we all need this in our veins?!

Yes, it is REALLY open world! This has been analyzed over the course of the past few months, particularly since the comment about players being able to walk from Afghanistan to Africa was made. There will be a traditional free roam mode, and then when a mission is selected, you have an open sandbox and can freely tackle that mission - within the borders of the mission area! (But the bordered areas are HUGE. If you notice the "mission area" at E3 2014, the player had plenty of room to work with!) So, yes, there will be a free roam as well; no worries on that front! ;-)

Yes, it is REALLY open world! This has been analyzed over the course of the past few months, particularly since the comment about players being able to walk from Afghanistan to Africa was made. There will be a traditional free roam mode, and then when a mission is selected, you have an open sandbox and can freely tackle that mission - within the borders of the mission area! (But the bordered areas are HUGE. If you notice the "mission area" at E3 2014, the player had plenty of room to work with!) So, yes, there will be a free roam as well; no worries on that front! ;-)

I mean I wasn't that worried but I just didn't want to hype myself up more than I already was, I've had similar thoughts during all of the media events but there's just so much we don't know.

I mean this game just seems so fucking insane, the scope is unlike any other title in the series and hell, even as far as open world games are considered this one is really unique.

I still think there's significance in Paz's delusional ramblings as Snake is carrying her to the landing zone in Ground Zeroes, specifically when she utters, "Pain...is an illusion...Pain...is in the mind." I can't help but think this line is more meta in nature, possibly a reference to how The Phantom Pain's plot will unravel. I'm anticipating a HUGE twist.

-Deimos

Man, the final fight between Snake and Ocelot is so fucking good. I somehow ended up wasting an hour just watching the ending scenes of MGS4.

I've watched a bit of Metal Gear Scallon at Giantbomb recently, and jesus christ.

Do 'normal people' actually suck that badly at Metal Gear games?

i can't exactly relate, but i'd imagine going back and playing those games for the first time now would be quite difficult. the controls alone in 1-3 are really, really dated

Is this it? Is the day of reckoning almost upon us? Good gracious. I just finished MG2:SS. I still have MGS 1, 2 & 4 and Rising. I wonder how long that will tide me over?

I'm anticipating a release date announcement at GDC. June plzzzzzzzzzzzzz at the latest.

March.

BELIEVE.

Skullface

March.

BELIEVE.

I'm truly sorry brother. If they're doing play testing now, they're certain to find a few bugs. Isolating those bugs and fixing them will probably take from here to March, if we're lucky ;_; I just don't see them having this game completed and pressed, ready to go by March :/

As far as marketing is concerned though, I can't really say I've seen any advertising for an MGS game other than the first one. They never needed a huge advertising budget. I'm not too worried about waiting to capitalize on pre-orders. They won't take than a month for that monkey business.

SolidSnake305

Neo Member

If this is any indication of a Boot-camp event then based on the following video and if they find bugs as I am assuming they did with MGS4 we should expect a release date of 4/14/2015 or something close to that date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbAYW2lIF2Y#t=295

So back on March 10 2008 they did the boot-camp event for MGS4 and subsequently released it on 6/12/2008 now they seem to be doing the same but on Jan 10 2015 which is 59 days ahead of March 10 so you take 59 days and subtract it from June 12 and you get 4/14/2015 which lands on a Tuesday.

BELIEVE!

Wait, what? That can't be true. What?

Wait, what? That can't be true. What?

Yup! Hideo straight up said players can walk from Afghanistan to Africa. I'm sure the screen goes to black or something in that instance, but he was stressing how open it is and that when traveling that distance by foot, it will take a while. (He really didn't give much more detail than that, but I took that as "exit to Africa" rather than actually walking from country to country. All speculation beyond his statement, though!)

Skullface

From what I was able to gather, he was talking about how it's a challenge to craft an effective tutorial and the the difficulties acclimating a player with an open world when compared to a linear world. Where are you JunkerHQ??? I want to believe :|

Yup! Hideo straight up said players can walk from Afghanistan to Africa. I'm sure the screen goes to black or something in that instance, but he was stressing how open it is and that when traveling that distance by foot, it will take a while. (He really didn't give much more detail than that, but I took that as "exit to Africa" rather than actually walking from country to country. All speculation beyond his statement, though!)

Ah right, yea. I was a bit confused because there's a few countries in between that I was pretty sure weren't in the game. Still pretty cool though.

Ah right, yea. I was a bit confused because there's a few countries in between that I was pretty sure weren't in the game. Still pretty cool though.

Take this with a grain of salt but I remember when they updated TPP's story synopsis recently they said the campaign will take Big Boss on an adventure that will "embroil the whole world."

What that actually means for the game I don't know but going by Lore for the games in this period, there's several places where huge character development happens(Ocelot getting his nickname in Mozambique and several other areas where he fought the Muhjahadeen, for reference his nickname is Shalashaska), Frank Jaeger rescuing young Naomi Campbell with Big Boss, Psycho Mantis burning his village down, Young Raiden being tortured and trained to kill by Solidus, Young Otacon and his mother and father, Liquid Snake hunting jackals and being trained by Big Boss.

That's just the tip of the Iceberg really, this game moreso than MGS3 is probably the most important, interesting, and will probably prove itself as the most pivotal game in the series since MGS3 and MGS2, and MGS1 combined.

Take this with a grain of salt but I remember when they updated TPP's story synopsis recently they said the campaign will take Big Boss on an adventure that will "embroil the whole world."

What that actually means for the game I don't know but going by Lore for the games in this period, there's several places where huge character development happens(Ocelot getting his nickname in Mozambique and several other areas where he fought the Muhjahadeen, for reference his nickname is Shalashaska), Frank Jaeger rescuing young Naomi Campbell with Big Boss, Psycho Mantis burning his village down, Young Raiden being tortured and trained to kill by Solidus, Young Otacon and his mother and father, Liquid Snake hunting jackals and being trained by Big Boss.

That's just the tip of the Iceberg really, this game moreso than MGS3 is probably the most important, interesting, and will probably prove itself as the most pivotal game in the series since MGS3 and MGS2, and MGS1 combined.

naomi_campbell.jpg

From what I was able to gather, he was talking about how it's a challenge to craft an effective tutorial and the the difficulties acclimating a player with an open world when compared to a linear world. Where are you JunkerHQ??? I want to believe :|

Ask and ye shall receive!

@JunkerHQNet:
Looks like they're doing play testing sessions for MGSV

Yeah! I think they were simply trying to stress how big the game map is. So far, Afghanistan, "various African countries," and
Cyprus
have all been confirmed. In the iDroid concept video, a world map was shown, which showed that missions could be carried out all over the world [This thread (Metal Gear Solid V - "Co-Op Player" command discovered in IDroid GUI Concept video) will provide you with a bit more detail on that. But basically, there is a globe shown with Diamond Dogs logos scattered across - and a mission list below that with cost of mission and number of troops deployed (among other things).]; however, I believe those to be Outer Ops -- but that doesn't mean they won't be playable. We'll have to wait and see!

OK, does someone want to explain how Metal Gear games prior to MGS4 control poorly? I never understood that argument. It's baffling because I had never heard it before I started browsing NeoGAF. Like, why not learn a game's control scheme and adapt to it? Why does every game have to follow certain guidelines and stay within arbitrary parameters? MGS2, for example, has perfect controls; it's up to the player to master them. I genuinely do not understand how it controls poorly. "MGS4 controls better." Why? Because it controls like many other third-person shooters? I was perfectly fine with the controls in MGS4, but I will never get the hate for the controls in its predecessors.

-Deimos

OK, does someone want to explain how Metal Gear games prior to MGS4 control poorly? I never understood that argument. It's baffling because I had never heard it before I started browsing NeoGAF. Like, why not learn a game's control scheme and adapt to it? Why does every game have to follow certain guidelines and stay within arbitrary parameters? MGS2, for example, has perfect controls; it's up to the player to master them. I genuinely do not understand how it controls poorly. "MGS4 controls better." Why? Because it controls like many other third-person shooters? I was perfectly fine with the controls in MGS4, but I will never get the hate for the controls in its predecessors.

Learning the controls doesn't make them good. Games improve over time and that includes controls too. Is it really hard to understand that someone wouldn't like an old game's controls compared to more modern and intuitive control schemes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom