• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you need to use the chicken hat, you're constantly reminded that you need it the entire time you're playing because your wearing a ridiculous chicken hat.

brau

Dem paint skills tho.

such-lovewijam.jpg

cOMvioT.jpg

Some extra love on the dawg.

OFFICIAL HIGH-RES SCREENS OF THE CHICKEN HAT ARE FINALLY OUT!

HOLY SHIT BALLS THIS GAME LOOKS SO GODDAMN AMAZING!!!!!

Good God, I have never seen a game improve as much as this one has in such short periods of time! Like, from VGA 2012 to GDC 2013, E3 2014 to gamescom 2014, gamescom 2014 to TGS 2014, and so on. Man, I cannot wait to just move that camera around at will!

We should play PWHD.
Especially Gear Rex Strikes Back >:

That we should!!!!

Pinewood

I don't like it for Big Boss. Eva? sure ok why not but mah boy BB doesn't ride motorcycles.
Peace Walker started with Big Boss arriving on a motorcycle.

What if TPP has you playing with Ishmael, and the scene where Big Boss awakes (he has come to) takes place at the end? :O

Edit: More theories that have most likely been discussed already: What if Ground Zeroes is a VR rehab for Big Boss? The wording on the extra missions is something along "Training re-enactment" and seems a bit weird to me.

Skullface

Peace Walker started with Big Boss arriving on a motorcycle.

What if TPP has you playing with Ishmael, and the scene where Big Boss awakes (he has come to) takes place at the end? :O

Edit: More theories that have most likely been discussed already: What if Ground Zeroes is a VR rehab for Big Boss? The wording on the extra missions is something along "Training re-enactment" and seems a bit weird to me.

I'm uber curious to find out what the "weapon to surpass Metal Gear" is. I bet it's something that's super obvious, like VR training or the results of Les Enfant Terribles. Maybe gene therapy programs, a precursor to the genome soldiers. If the XOF soldiers are genome soldiers to some degree (The Boss genes rather than Big Boss genes?), that would kind of explain why they're able to steamroll Mother Base. I really get the impression that MSF didn't really stand a chance, granted they were ambushed.

I'm also guessing that there's some SOP precursor, considering the mind control angle they showed in the "Nuclear" trailer. I really hope we get to confront Zero at some point in the game...

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Finally got around to playing Ground Zeroes thanks to the January sales.

Making this game a sequel to a PSP game has kind of meant that I have no clue at all what's going on, so that was a thing.

But I'm generally not sure I'm really cool with Metal Gear trying to tackle something like child soldiers. I grimaced all the way through the helicopter cutscene, not because of the shocking profundity, but rather because I'm not entirely convinced that Metal Gear has really earned the right to beg to be taken that seriously.

Kind of on the fence about buying the main game. I think I'll wait.

Skullface

Making this game a sequel to a PSP game has kind of meant that I have no clue at all what's going on, so that was a thing.

But I'm generally not sure I'm really cool with Metal Gear trying to tackle something like child soldiers. I grimaced all the way through the helicopter cutscene, not because of the shocking profundity, but rather because I'm not entirely convinced that Metal Gear has really earned the right to beg to be taken that seriously.

You think that was bad? Try listening through all the tapes. One or two of them are even more difficult than the helicopter scene.

If you're interested, the game has a pretty solid(no pun intended) PW synopsis that you can read. I read it myself last night after finishing PW.

I don't know what you mean about having "earned the right" to tackle certain subject matter. What's your metric exactly? Not trying to put you on the spot but that just seems like an arbitrary criticism, especially in a game that's going to allow you to wear a chicken cap to cheat.

JayEH

You think that was bad? Try listening through all the tapes. One or two of them are even more difficult than the helicopter scene.

If you're interested, the game has a pretty solid(no pun intended) PW synopsis that you can read. I read it myself last night after finishing PW.

I don't know what you mean about having "earned the right" to tackle certain subject matter. What's your metric exactly? Not trying to put you on the spot but that just seems like an arbitrary criticism, especially in a game that's going to allow you to wear a chicken cap to cheat.

I would like an answer to this as well. Almost every person I've seen that has a problem with Ground Zeroes say this and the press loves to say this as well. Not trying to come off as hostile either Godelsmetric I'm genuinely curious.

What does a movie, book, etc. need to earn before tackling serious subjects?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

This is kind of my point. The game feels like it wants to do whatever it wants on a whim and be able to pull it off. But to me, a game series that puts in jokes about the main character jerking off in a cupboard to picture of a girl in a bikini, or chicken hats, then turning around and trying to make a 'serious' point about child soldiers is really just coming across as exploitative.

That kind of juxtaposition is difficult to pull off; I can only think of Inglourious Basterds as a movie that I think succeeded in pulling off both crass entertainment and serious drama in a similar vein. But then in that, the violence was knowingly exploitative, not the more serious scenes.

I dunno. As I say, my reaction wasn't, 'oh no the things that's happened to her, that's awful', it was more like 'this is kind of seedy and exploitative and kind of gross'.

Pinewood

What does a movie, book, etc. need to earn before tackling serious subjects?

They should take themselves seriously all the way. Couldn't enjoy TLoU too because all of those Ellie puns.

Also no pretty colors. Everyone knows brown and gray are the only real colors.

/s

E: don't mean to come off as an asshole, but I'm tired of all these topics of what is a REAL game, what you can/can't portray in games, theres too much ludonarrative dissonance etc.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Weird why people are saying stuff about child soldiers now, they've been a part of MGS since Metal Gear 2 on the MSX. MGS2 and 4 had Raiden, Wolf's backstory featured them, all the B&B (cringely) were child soldiers, and Peace Walker had both Chico and Paz in there. I don't think Ground Zeroes even uses child soldiers that much, it's more about how Chico was a rash teenager and how sick and twisted Cipher is than about the concept of child soldiers.

In fact, I think even Rising had more to say about them.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
They should take themselves seriously all the way. Couldn't enjoy TLoU too because all of those Ellie puns.

Also no pretty colors. Everyone knows brown and gray are the only real colors.

/s

E: don't mean to come off as an asshole, but I'm tired of all these topics of what is a REAL game, what you can/can't portray in games, theres too much ludonarrative dissonance etc.

I'm not saying anything about what you can and can't portray in games. Kojima Prod is welcome to put whatever they like into the game. That's why I said I don't feel like they've earned the right to be taken seriously by me, not that they haven't earned the right to include it in the first place.
Weird why people are saying stuff about child soldiers now, they've been a part of MGS since Metal Gear 2 on the MSX. MGS2 and 4 had Raiden, Wolf's backstory featured them, all the B&B (cringely) were child soldiers, and Peace Walker had both Chico and Paz in there. I don't think Ground Zeroes even uses child soldiers that much, it's more about how Chico was a rash teenager and how sick and twisted Cipher is than about the concept of child soldiers.

In fact, I think even Rising had more to say about them.

Well, first of all, although it was explored in MGS2 it was always a piece of background lore. There were a couple of images of it and obviously it comes into his relationship with Solidus (such that it was), but it never approached the level of naked confrontation with the theme that it reaches here.

The B&B unit are an interesting example though because they do the same thing. Kojima simultaneously (apparently) wants us to feel bad for the women, but before that, he lets us photograph them in sexy poses. Perhaps this is an attempt to make the player feel bad, but it didn't come across as that to me, it just felt cheap.

JayEH

Metal Gear has always been about serious subject matters albeit not as taboo or dark as child soldiers or rape. I don't feel like the game is "exploitive" with the chicken hats and stuff since those things are there for comic relief. You need something to lighten the mood. It's hard for the player emotionally to keep up. Even games like The Last of Us have scenes to calm the player down.

I respect anyone's opinion on the game and if you don't feel comfortable base off GZ playing the game that's your choice. But I want to at least give TPP a chance before writing it off. If I feel like the game has gone too far I'll let everyone know even as a massive fan.

I'm glad you posted what you did about it since I want to know the perspectives of people who weren't comfortable with the game .

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I feel as if this mentality of what people can and can not do in videogames is what's preventing the medium from being taken more seriously and being able to tackle a more variety of topics.

However, Metal Gear has always been a mixture of serious main parts complemented with some silly stuff to let the player breath. If we are to take Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes as a model, then the silly stuff will for the most part be relegated for the optional missions, except for things like the cardboard box 2.0, which is one of the series' icons.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I feel as if this mentality of what people can and can not do in videogames is what's preventing the medium from being taken more seriously and being able to tackle a more variety of topics.

Except I never said that they couldn't do it.

[edit] Oh, damn, my wording in the original post was really bad, sorry. When I say that they 'haven't earned the right to beg to be taken so seriously', I don't mean that they haven't earned the right to do it (they can do whatever they want), but rather that I don't think they've successfully manoeuvred the game to a point where I can take that kind of scene with the kind of seriousness that I think Kojima intends it to have. I'm saying that it's about my reaction to it, not their right to do it.

Pinewood

I mean, after a scene like the one in Ground Zeroes it might be too much to go straight to fultoning goats with a chicken cap, but I feel that these things are a part of the gameplay and I think that Kojima himself knows that there are boundaries in how much of this stuff you can show at a time. So I don't think the overall theme won't be as dark as Ground Zeroes.

And who cares when you're fultoning goats?

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, after a scene like the one in Ground Zeroes it might be too much to go straight to fultoning goats with a chicken cap, but I feel that these things are a part of the gameplay and I think that Kojima himself knows that there are boundaries in how much of this stuff you can show at a time. So I don't think the overall theme won't be as dark as Ground Zeroes.

And who cares when you're fultoning goats?

fultoning goats is not silly

diamond dogs need animals to eat you know

brau

I remember a quote he said a while back.
http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=12098

A first look at “Code Talker” the character I voice in the upcoming super game Metal Gear Solid V. Phantom Pain. Knowing how to speak some Athabskan did help in learning the complex Navajo dialog I had so far. Thanks to my Elders I know I did it justice. We are not done yet so this year is more work.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
What would be the best way for Metal Gear to tack these subject in your opinion? The impression I'm getting is that you don't feel it's right to be making such silly jokes in such a serious setting? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't really know what the best way for them to tackle it is. I'm not a content creator, I'm a consumer. All I can say is that the way they did it in Ground Zeroes didn't have the effect on me that I think they wanted it to have, and the reason is that I think that the juxtaposition with the rest of the game is too jarring and it made it all feel too insincere.

Or maybe it did have the right effect. I don't know, maybe it was supposed to just be shocking for the sake of it, in which case, mission accomplished.

In any case, I don't think that having a discussion about it is doing anything to hold back video games as a medium.

JayEH

TPP is no longer a video game but a super game. It's its own form of entertainment.

Huh. Never knew Code Talker would actually be Native American. I figured Jay just had a good old guy voice.

This is kind of my point. The game feels like it wants to do whatever it wants on a whim and be able to pull it off. But to me, a game series that puts in jokes about the main character jerking off in a cupboard to picture of a girl in a bikini, or chicken hats, then turning around and trying to make a 'serious' point about child soldiers is really just coming across as exploitative.

That kind of juxtaposition is difficult to pull off; I can only think of Inglourious Basterds as a movie that I think succeeded in pulling off both crass entertainment and serious drama in a similar vein. But then in that, the violence was knowingly exploitative, not the more serious scenes.

I dunno. As I say, my reaction wasn't, 'oh no the things that's happened to her, that's awful', it was more like 'this is kind of seedy and exploitative and kind of gross'.

i think you kind of hit the nail on the head in terms of the tone that kojima goes for without even knowing it. inglorious basterds and django both tackle very, very serious subject matter and feature very serious and dramatic moments, but they are surrounded with silly moments and comedy. kojima has done this sort of contradictory polarizing tones in all of the mgs games (perhaps most prominently in mgs3), albeit not as eloquently as tarantino, but nontheless. you basically answered your own question as tons of people criticize tarantino's movies and say that same thing about them being gross and exploitative.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Jay you should add the spreadsheet to the OT, will make it easier for people to find it.

I don't really know what the best way for them to tackle it is. I'm not a content creator, I'm a consumer. All I can say is that the way they did it in Ground Zeroes didn't have the effect on me that I think they wanted it to have, and the reason is that I think that the juxtaposition with the rest of the game is too jarring and it made it all feel too insincere.

Or maybe it did have the right effect. I don't know, maybe it was supposed to just be shocking for the sake of it, in which case, mission accomplished.

In any case, I don't think that having a discussion about it is doing anything to hold back video games as a medium.

I agree with you on the fact that ground zeroes had no impact.

Did you make it?

Also I just realized the way I worded my post was awkward given who I was talking to lol. Just to be clear I think it's pretty good too.

I wish, but unfortunately, I'm not that clever!

Hahaha! "Needs more LOVE... Get it? Love. Like, Love Deterrence. Ya, see, that's the jo- oh, OK, I'll go now."

Rajang

The ending cutscene of GZ didn't do much for me either with
Paz blowing up

For some reason I actually felt more for her during her tapes in PW. That cutscene had no emotional impact for me at all.

brau

The ending cutscene of GZ didn't do much for me either with
Paz blowing up

For some reason I actually felt more for her during her tapes in PW. That cutscene had no emotional impact for me at all.

.... you are already a demon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom