• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skullface

if it was already sticking out of his head, it's somewhat plausible it could be gradually pushed out by bone and tissue resorption and deposition that's taking place around the object. a bionic arm alone is waaaay crazier

I wonder if Big Boss can into rocket peace

zadornov-rocket-peace_480x272.jpg

Imagine Hayter saying the "I won't scatter your sorrow to the heartless sea, I will always be with you" line.

Or "When the time comes, I'll pull the trigger."

Aw hell no.

Also, the music after the line is so good.

I never had a problem with BB being Hayter or Keifer but I swear if Kojima changes Solid Snake's voice, I'll lose it. For me, Solid Snake being Hayter is like Kevin Conroy being Batman. These both were meant to play these characters until their voice give out or they pass away, that's it. They are all I hear when I see a picture of SS or Batman.

Dawg

I never had a problem with BB being Hayter or Keifer but I swear if Kojima changes Solid Snake's voice, I'll lose it. For me, Solid Snake being Hayter is like Kevin Conroy being Batman. These both were meant to play these characters until their voice give out or they pass away, that's it. They are all I hear when I see a picture of SS or Batman.

In my opinion, Kiefer should have done Big Boss already in MGS3... but yeah, different times and all. It's not like the Japanese VA was any different either.

roger craig smith was excellent as batman in origins. it wouldn't be the end of the world if someone else took over as SS

Dawg

Also, honest question:

How does Team A explain Kiefer voicing Solid Snake in the Déjà Vu flashback mission of Ground Zeroes?

Also, honest question:

How does Team A explain Kiefer voicing Solid Snake in the Déjà Vu flashback mission of Ground Zeroes?
Not TeamA but I think because Deja Vu is sort of meant to be a mix of old and new. Like you start it without the "skins", and I'm pretty sure I heard Kaz call me "boss" when playing it even though you hear him voicing Solid Snake's lines but then you also have Downes imitating all the other voices from MGS1 instead of using actual sound clips from the old games.

roger craig smith was excellent as batman in origins. it wouldn't be the end of the world if someone else took over as SS

So was Peter Weller in The Dark Knight Returns but it just isn't the same. When I hear Kevin Conroy, It just feels fucking right.

EDIT: It's the same thing with Splinter Cell, Michael Ironside to me will always be Sam Fisher. There isn't even a contest between the new voice and the old one lol.

Dawg

They'll probably tell you that Hayter was too busy voicing Raiden.

Not TeamA but I think because Deja Vu is sort of meant to be a mix of old and new. Like you start it without the "skins", and I'm pretty sure I heard Kaz call me "boss" when playing it even though you hear him voicing Solid Snake's lines but then you also have Downes imitating all the other voices from MGS1 instead of using actual sound clips from the old games.

I see.

Another problem I have with the Hayter theory is that it would make one of the biggest "surprises" region exclusive. I find it weird Kojima would go through all this trouble just to give the Western audience an exclusive surprise. The VA didn't change in Japan. When you do a surprise like Raiden in MGS2, it affects everyone.

At the same time, if it were true... Kojima wouldn't change the JP VA. If he would switch both Hayter and Akio Ōtsuka, people would know something is up. The Hayter "asked too much money" argument is plausible, but people would know Kojima is fooling us if he did it with both VAs.

Now, team A assumes we'll see an adult Solid Snake at some point... right? Hayter can't voice a teenager. Even if it would be hilarious. Thing is... that would mean Solid Snake gets a different JP VA. Don't think we'll see Ōtsuka play Big Boss AND Solid Snake in the same game. That didn't happen in MGS4 either. You could argue they'll just use a different JP VA for the Japanese SS and use Hayter for the Western SS, but that just seems... weird to me. Then why didn't Hayter play Big Boss? I mean, unless Kojima is doing a gigantic troll... you'd think SS only appears near the end. That means Hayter would have a far smaller role than the previous games. Why would he have a smaller role all of a sudden?

It just doesn't make sense to me. I have no doubt Kojima is planning some kind of surprise and it wouldn't surprise me if Solid Snake does show up... but it wouldn't surprise me either if he wasn't voiced by Hayter and that Hayter isn't even a part of MGS V.

Skullface

If Solid Snake does appear as an adult, he'll be voice by Kiefer. In this scene, Big Boss will be voiced by
donald-sutherland.jpg

Edit: Wow, put an eye patch on this dude and he's OG Big Boss

Skullface

why is peace walker on vita so expensive :(

I whole heartedly agree. All the same, KojiPro is the one studio that I respect enough to pony up for. If you look at the Legacy collection, which I got used for $42, that's $7 per game. There again, I had the MGS + VR missions codes in tact. I'm sure most used copies wouldn't. Actually, I would have offered those codes up since I already paid for them on PSN, but I already gave them away ;_; Sorry dudes.

$5.25 per individual media if you count the digital comics

that would be awesome. DS is great

I whole heartedly agree. It's not like there's no precedent for it either. Look at MGS 4 in Japan. I wouldn't be shocked if this was some big surprise.

Dawg

I bet Kiefer told his hollywood buddies about this wacky videogame he's working on and one of them got a movie idea out of it.

Dawg

I could be wrong, but Kojima shared a bunch of pictures with movie directors he met a while ago. They praised Kojima.

Del Toro was one of them and he ended up working with him (Silent Hills).

Nicolas Winding Refn was also one of them. And he likes working with Gosling.

inb4 I got this completely wrong.

I could be wrong, but Kojima shared a bunch of pictures with movie directors he met a while ago. They praised Kojima.

Del Toro was one of them and he ended up working with him (Silent Hills).

Nicolas Winding Refn was also one of them. And he likes working with Gosling.

inb4 I got this completely wrong.

They were all already friends of Kojima, it was kind of awkward. A long time ago Kojima said he wanted to scan Gosling and Norman Reedus and put them in a game.
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/329000989761871873

I don't mind Gosling but I can't see him doing a good Snake. Unless Snake is gonna take from his father in MGSV and just stare at people and not say a word. Gosling has that down at least.

Kojima's a hack because Big Boss has a mechanical arm in the 1980's. Glad the guy who said that didn't play Peace Walker, or (apparently) any other Metal Gear title.

SJRB

Gold Member
Kojima's a hack because Big Boss has a mechanical arm in the 1980's. Glad the guy who said that didn't play Peace Walker, or (apparently) any other Metal Gear title.

People who complain about stuff like that usually are people who haven't actually played any of the MGS games nor have any interest in them.

They're shitposting, basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom