• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishida

Banned
I gotta be honest with you guys, as someone who hasn't been with the series day one and just got really into it recently:

I never had an interest in the Metal Gear games soley because my view on them, or at the very least, every time I saw it presented it was just fucking weird. Yeah, I'm talking about everything from the BEES, THROUGH THIS ARM, the voice acting overall, especially Hayter who sounds like someone parodying action fimls, and the Metal Gears themselves look like flying dinosaurs, Vamp, etc.

The only reason I jumped in was because the HD collection came out for the 360, and my friend was a fan of the series since its inception let me borrow his own HD collection. I started up MGS3 since it was first and I heard SO MANY GOOD THINGS ABOUT IT nonstop. It took forever to get used to the long cutscenes, awkward dialogue, controls, weird characters and other stuff I would just push aside and say "that's just Japanese... I guess" including the heavy ass preaching. But overall, I came to enjoy the experience on my own, including the story and the characters who I took a huge liking to, and up until Ground Zeroes, only played for the story and not so much the gameplay.

Point is, whenever I see stuff like "that doesn't make sense for Metal Gear" or "the grounded/ worldwide appeal" and other stuff like that, I just laugh. The first things I think of when I hear Metal Gear Solid are fucking cyborg ninjas, BEES, codecs, cheesy ass Hayter, and ridiculous sci-fi. And I know I'm not alone on that.

What I'm trying to say is that ALL of MGS is ridiculous. I love MGS3 with a burning passion of a thousand suns, but dudes, that ending with EVA being a triple agent and The Boss really just being a pawn in the US Government's plan to prove it's innocence was eye-rolling, all with EVA's super emotional narration, too.

So just relax. MGS is a great series, it's got something for everyone, silly or serious, intense or relaxed, guns 'n blazing or stealth. We should just be thankful we're continuing to get these games as is.

/rant

I agree with you 100%, my friend.

Metal Gear is up there with my favorite game series. Does it have serious moments? Yes, LOTS of them. And I absolutely love them. But the main reason I got so hooked up with the entire plotline is because it was so ridiculous, yet so awesome at the same time.

Giant mechs? Sure!

Genetics and cloning? Of course!

Magic-using enemies? Why not!

Futuristic technology? Add it to the list!

Very serious moments? Completely awesome!

And I'm sure MGSV will be the same. A lot of people are talking about how "serious" Ground Zeroes was with the whole
vagina bomb and Paz's death
, but so far I haven't seen anything, not even on the trailers, that can match the HOLY SHIT, THAT'S HARDCORE moment in Metal Gear Solid 2 when Solidus shoots Olga through the head. Now THAT was fucked up!

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
also lol at enjoying a series that has bee/lightning/tree/ghost men and a vampire who can walk on water and run up vertical walls and an obese dude on rollerskates with a crazy straw and cyborg ninjas and russian cowboys and johnny sasaki and psycho mantis and war crime victims having srs bsns mental breakdowns in latex bodysuits with camel toes and gratuitous crotch shots and mount snakemore but then drawing the line at silly music during a boss fight

Ishida

Banned
CHEEZMO™;118854791 said:
also lol at enjoying a series that has bee/lightning/tree/ghost men and a vampire who can walk on water and run up vertical walls and an obese dude on rollerskates with a crazy straw and cyborg ninjas and russian cowboys and johnny sasaki and psycho mantis and war crime victims having srs bsns mental breakdowns in latex bodysuits with camel toes and gratuitous crotch shots and mount snakemore but then drawing the line at silly music during a boss fight

I don't care what people says! Mt. Snakemore was AWESOME.

I would totally have it as my laptop wallpaper if I could find a decent screenshot. =(

Toa TAK

Banned
Haven't played MGS4 yet (since no PS3 =()

But I always thought it was a GAF thing to call it "Snakemore" or that it was just a fan name or something.

But no.

It's actually called that.

Ishida

Banned
Haven't played MGS4 yet (since no PS3 =()

But I always thought it was a GAF thing to call it "Snakemore" or that it was just a fan name or something.

But no.

It's actually called that.

Is it? I've never seen any official naming for that Octocamo illusion.

EDIT:

SNAKEMORE.gif

Toa TAK

Banned
Oh, the wiki is edited by fans, so I wouldn't take it very seriously. I have never seen Kojima or anyone from Konami actually calling it "Mt. Snakemore".

Not yet.

CHEEZMO™;118856102 said:
TOMMYYY GUUUN!!

lol yeah, where and how does something like that happen?

Don't forget his grenades!

Man forget The Pain, he was such a pain on my PEACE WALKER run.

Palpable

I don't get where you draw the line over what is too Japanese. How is MGS3 by your standards not too Japanese? The entire Cobra unit? Eva flashing her assets left and right? What about 4? Raiden break dance sword fighting with barely any limbs left? Stopping the ship with his body? VAMP!? Why is j-pop in a boss fight too Japanese in a series where all this stuff happens?

Vamp is somehow Japanese? lol. Raiden is basically a ninja, which are Japanese... so... Everything Raiden did was Japanese. It's cool to pin it to certain characters, but to everything? How exactly is the Cobra Unit Japanese? They're all super sci-fi & fantastical-ish. Flashing assets left and right isn't only Japanese. Japanese schoolgirls flashing their panties sure is, though. J-Pop is too Japanese because... it's J-Pop! That doesn't belong in an MGS game imo.

Toa TAK

Banned
Ground Zeroes had you taking out US Marines while trying to make you feel bad for the NVA.

lol

Perspective is a powerful weapon indeed.

I gotta be honest with you guys, as someone who hasn't been with the series day one and just got really into it recently:

I never had an interest in the Metal Gear games soley because my view on them, or at the very least, every time I saw it presented it was just fucking weird. Yeah, I'm talking about everything from the BEES, THROUGH THIS ARM, the voice acting overall, especially Hayter who sounds like someone parodying action fimls, and the Metal Gears themselves look like flying dinosaurs, Vamp, etc.

The only reason I jumped in was because the HD collection came out for the 360, and my friend was a fan of the series since its inception let me borrow his own HD collection. I started up MGS3 since it was first and I heard SO MANY GOOD THINGS ABOUT IT nonstop. It took forever to get used to the long cutscenes, awkward dialogue, controls, weird characters and other stuff I would just push aside and say "that's just Japanese... I guess" including the heavy ass preaching. But overall, I came to enjoy the experience on my own, including the story and the characters who I took a huge liking to, and up until Ground Zeroes, only played for the story and not so much the gameplay.

Point is, whenever I see stuff like "that doesn't make sense for Metal Gear" or "the grounded/ worldwide appeal" and other stuff like that, I just laugh. The first things I think of when I hear Metal Gear Solid are fucking cyborg ninjas, BEES, codecs, cheesy ass Hayter, and ridiculous sci-fi. And I know I'm not alone on that.

What I'm trying to say is that ALL of MGS is ridiculous. I love MGS3 with a burning passion of a thousand suns, but dudes, that ending with EVA being a triple agent and The Boss really just being a pawn in the US Government's plan to prove it's innocence was eye-rolling, all with EVA's super emotional narration, too.

So just relax. MGS is a great series, it's got something for everyone, silly or serious, intense or relaxed, guns 'n blazing or stealth. We should just be thankful we're continuing to get these games as is.

/rant

Glad to have you on-board, fellow Diamond Dog! Nice read. I can't disagree with the suggestion of some taking the story of Metal Gear a bit too seriously. (I am a fanboy through and through, for clarity, and absolutely love the story.) I kind of just look at each of these games as simply one way of telling a story. Like, I think of MGS2 as one "ending" of the series, and MGS4 as an alternative continuation - in a way (that is NOT to say that it is any less meaningful to me, as I love MGS4 and will defend it to the death -- simply how I look at it). Don't know how familiar you are with MGS2 yet, but there's a mode in the Substance version (HD Edition, too) known as "Snake Tales." So, since the first time I played this mode, I've come to think of the series' stories as "Snake Tales" and each event we see in these games is simply one way of it actually happening. (The game mode is non-canonical, but I actually get quite the kick out of it. Helps me remember that this story is one that is ever-evolving and that I should appreciate it for what it is, which I do - more than anything! The Metal Gear story is by far my favorite story in gaming.)

/response

Toa TAK

Banned
Glad to have you on-board, fellow Diamond Dog! Nice read. I can't disagree with the suggestion of some taking the story of Metal Gear a bit too seriously. (I am a fanboy through and through, for clarity, and absolutely love the story.) I kind of just look at each of these games as simply one way of telling a story. Like, I think of MGS2 as one "ending" of the series, and MGS4 as an alternative continuation - in a way (that is NOT to say that it is any less meaningful to me, as I love MGS4 and will defend it to the death -- simply how I look at it). Don't know how familiar you are with MGS2 yet, but there's a mode in the Substance version (HD Edition, too) known as "Snake Tales." So, since the first time I played this mode, I've come to think of the series' stories as "Snake Tales" and each event we see in these games is simply one way of it actually happening. (The game mode is non-canonical, but I actually get quite the kick out of it. Helps me remember that this story is one that is ever-evolving and that I should appreciate it for what it is, which I do - more than anything! The Metal Gear story is by far my favorite story in gaming.)

/response
MGS2 took awhile for me to get through, especially after the Raiden switch and getting bored fast of running around Big Shell. But once I stopped Fatman things started rolling and by the end of the game completely understood why this game gets praised the way it does on here. Fantastic messages ahead of its time in ANY medium, not just games.

I haven't gone through Snake Tales yet, oddly enough, because I'd rather some more Raiden (but we have MGR for that).

Rojo

Don't know how familiar you are with MGS2 yet, but there's a mode in the Substance version (HD Edition, too) known as "Snake Tales." So, since the first time I played this mode, I've come to think of the series' stories as "Snake Tales" and each event we see in these games is simply one way of it actually happening. (The game mode is non-canonical, but I actually get quite the kick out of it. Helps me remember that this story is one that is ever-evolving and that I should appreciate it for what it is, which I do - more than anything! The Metal Gear story is by far my favorite story in gaming.)

/response

External Gazer should be expanded and have its own game shit is crazy love it.

Palpable

get that Japanese shit out of my Japanese videogames

Haha Oh man the twisties.

I love Japanese video games. MGS, RE, GT, Mario, etc. Nothing is wrong with Japanese elements in a Japanese game, but even Kojima wants it to appeal to worldwide audiences. No stupid schoolgirl panty shots, no dumb J-Pop, etc.

MGS2 took awhile for me to get through, especially after the Raiden switch and getting bored fast of running around Big Shell. But once I stopped Fatman things started rolling and by the end of the game completely understood why this game gets praised the way it does on here. Fantastic messages ahead of its time in ANY medium, not just games.

I haven't gone through Snake Tales yet, oddly enough, because I'd rather some more Raiden (but we have MGR for that).

Ah, yeah! Nice. I agree. MGS2 is simply out of this world. My favorite game of all-time, for sure.

Metal Gear Rising is a great game! I was very hesitant in regard to giving it a shot, but man, what a game -- what a great time. The story isn't this heavy, dramatic narrative or anything like that, but my God, is it fun! Most extreme start-finish in gaming history, I feel confident saying!

External Gazer should be expanded and have its own game shit is crazy love it.

snakeotaconbeingbros.gif

Toa TAK

Banned
Ah, yeah! Nice. I agree. MGS2 is simply out of this world. My favorite game of all-time, for sure.

Metal Gear Rising is a great game! I was very hesitant in regard to giving it a shot, but man, what a game -- what a great time. The story isn't this heavy, dramatic narrative or anything like that, but my God, is it fun! Most extreme start-finish in gaming history, I feel confident saying!

Yes! I remember being super skeptical of MGR, too. But once I actually played the demo and beat the boss, I was in.

Story is alright, nothing compared to the previous games, but from start to finish it's a thrill, I agree.

Rojo

2 I believe.

Either that or I missed that in MGS3.

I think the PC version of MGR does, too.

If your playing the HD collection they cut it out for some reason they also cut out some skateboarding mini game in MGS2 and a mini game dream in 3, and snake vs. ape escape monkeys.

Resilient

I love Japanese video games. MGS, RE, GT, Mario, etc. Nothing is wrong with Japanese elements in a Japanese game, but even Kojima wants it to appeal to worldwide audiences. No stupid schoolgirl panty shots, no dumb J-Pop, etc.

Eva boobs on display at every moment including under a waterfall? OK
Bond inspired theme song? Yes!
J-pop? BAD

Seriously, it's just j-pop.

Japanese elements are fine, just not the ones you dislike?

because cyborg ninjas are just as Japanese as panty shots and J-pop

Toa TAK

Banned
Oh my Gawd EVA, zip that shit up. I ain't got time for that when the SHAGOHOD is chasing us. And the rest of the game while we're at it.

Didn't mind it for The Boss as that was a completely different situation.

Palpable

Oh my Gawd EVA, zip that shit up. I ain't got time for that when the SHAGOHOD is chasing us. And the rest of the game while we're at it.

Didn't mind it for The Boss as that was a completely different situation.

I never once complained about Eva showing her cleavage. That is indeed Japanese when it comes to it happening during every situation. Same with Naomi in 4.

Japanese elements are fine, just not the ones you dislike?

because cyborg ninjas are just as Japanese as panty shots and J-pop

And yet you'd categorize them as equal amounts of cheese? There's just no way. J-Pop is in a whole new realm of cheese when it comes to this. A cyborg wielding a blade doing ninja shit is very Japanese, yes, but cool as shit.

Eva boobs on display at every moment including under a waterfall? OK
Bond inspired theme song? Yes!
J-pop? BAD

Seriously, it's just j-pop.

I know it's just J-Pop, but what I'm saying is that it's beyond cheesy to throw it in a MGS game for the first time when it clearly doesn't fit. I like the instrumental, though.

And yet you'd categorize them as equal amounts of cheese? There's just no way. J-Pop is in a whole new realm of cheese when it comes to this. A cyborg wielding a blade doing ninja shit is very Japanese, yes, but cool as shit.

I know it's just J-Pop, but what I'm saying is that it's beyond cheesy to throw it in a MGS game for the first time when it clearly doesn't fit. I like the instrumental, though.

I agree that cyborg ninjas are cool as shit, but a j-pop song playing while you
fight a young girl controlling a giant robot
seems pretty fitting to me

isn't there a cassette tape in GZ that explains that
Miller wanted her to sing that song for Mother Base?

I'm very drunk at the moment, so I could be imagining this

Palpable

I agree that cyborg ninjas are cool as shit, but a j-pop song playing while you
fight a young girl controlling a giant robot
seems pretty fitting to me

isn't there a cassette tape in GZ that explains that
Miller wanted her to sing that song for Mother Base?

I'm very drunk at the moment, so I could be imagining this

No, you're right. There is. I should've added that
girl fighting in undies while in robot
was a part of the cheese. PW's ending really amped up the campy, unfortunately.

Gun Animal

Peace Walker was partially an attempt at appealing to the same target demo as monster hunter, right? That's why they toned down the violence and turned up the shounen anime shit, right?

Palpable

Yup, Miller had planned a whole band in fact with Paz as the lead singer.

What I didn't understand is why it was all in Japanese as opposed to English or Spanish.

Peace Walker was partially an attempt at appealing to the same target demo as monster hunter, right? That's why they toned down the violence and turned up the shounen anime shit, right?

I'm inclined to believe this considering all the Monster Hunter stuff.

Gun Animal

What I didn't understand is why it was all in Japanese as opposed to English or Spanish.

You remember how in Mgs3 Sokolov is like "your Russian is superb!" Even though they're both speaking in English or Japanese the whole time? The whole song could still be in Spanish, canonically. Actually, most of the dialogue in PW could be canonically Spanish.

I'm inclined to believe this considering all the Monster Hunter stuff.

I remember Kojima saying something about wanting to make an MGS game that his son would enjoy, or something like that.

Palpable

You remember how in Mgs3 Sokolov is like "your Russian is superb!" Even though they're both speaking in English or Japanese the whole time? The whole song could still be in Spanish, canonically. Actually, most of the dialogue in PW could be canonically Spanish.

I remember Kojima saying something about wanting to make an MGS game that his son would enjoy, or something like that.

I'm sure that, canonically, much of the dialog between the Sandinistas & Boss are in Spanish & the rest in English.

Kaz wrote the song

Oh right, but writing it in Japanese and expecting Paz, a
as far as he knew
Costs Rican girl, to read, sing, and understand it is beyond me. It'd make more sense if he wrote it in Spanish or English.

Resilient

Do we know if Kaz can speak Spanish? Because if so then he should have written that song in Spanish. Even though most of what we hear, we don't know which language it is in unless said explicitly, because if he can't speak Spanish his only options were to get Paz to sing in Japanese or English, and at that point it didn't matter because Paz knows neither English or Japanese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom