• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vol5

I've just started the entire legacy in chrono order. Only about 3 hours into mgs3. It's still incredible although I might switch from vita to ps3 as the sticks on the handheld aren't great.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I've just started the entire legacy in chrono order. Only about 3 hours into mgs3. It's still incredible although I might switch from vita to ps3 as the sticks on the handheld aren't great.

What the heck, you should have been playing on PS3 from the get-go if that option was available to you lol. On PS3 (and 360) it runs at 60fps, plus you have 4 shoulder buttons instead of 2.

Don't make the same mistake in the future with MGS and MGS2, breh. Peace Walker can safely be played on a portable, though. It's designed around one.

Daximuss

I ordered the Legacy collection last night. I have sooo many good memories with these games.

Strangely, I don't remember playing MGS 3: Snake Eater.A friend of mine bought it as part of the HD collection and said the aiming and controls were horrid. Any truth to this? He told me aiming is really bad on the PS3.

Nvzman

So Versus Ops on PS3 is basically dominated by these 3 guys who have mastered the game to a T. I can't even get one kill against these guys :(

been replaying all of Peace Walker this weekend. I forgot how fucked up it is that
they make you shoot the horse and the boss again

and then later
all those dudes are chanting "Vic Boss!" and I'm like "yo I just beat every mission as Kingfisher and she gets no love??"

also, that scene at the end
where all the butterflies come out of the Ai pod
is really stupid. Actually, that entire cutscene is stupid

This game is awesome and terrible at the same time

Toa TAK

Banned
also, that scene at the end
where all the butterflies come out of the Ai pod
is really stupid. Actually, that entire cutscene is stupid

This game is awesome and terrible at the same time

Yeah, I hate that whole thing where
suddenly the AI gains consciousness and saves the world from nuclear annihilation. It was getting really intense up to that point and it killed all the tension.

BUT, I really did like the butterfly bit. That was a nice touch.

Palpable

I'm really conflicted about this game. There are parts I love, like the co-op, and parts I hate, like the pure cheesiness of the story and the pure shit bosses. My save file has almost 300 hours though, so I guess I like it

Same here. There are an alarming amount of cringe worthy moments in this game. For example,
the J-Pop while fighting Pacifica "Paz" Ocean while she's piloting ZEKE in her undies. What the fuck?

Same here. There are an alarming amount of cringe worthy moments in this game. For example,
the J-Pop while fighting Pacifica "Paz" Ocean while she's piloting ZEKE in her undies. What the fuck?

wait what? that's the best part of the game

when they patched that song into the MGO playlist I was so pumped

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

That song is awesome!

Toa TAK

Banned

Made grinding to get to that mission worth it. WORTH IT!

Palpable

wait what? that's the best part of the game

when they patched that song into the MGO playlist I was so pumped

That song is awesome!

Made grinding to get to that mission worth it. WORTH IT!

You've got to be kidding me.

The instrumental was great, but the version with the Japanese woman singing in PW was so bad. It did NOT fit.
peace walker is the most anime metal gear. just remember that while playing it and the cringe should subside.

True. I'm not a fan of anime at all, which is why all the other Metal Gear games are so much better cringe-wise. I'm glad the direction MGSV is going.

RobertM

If Peace Walker is a reflection of what Ground Zero and Phantom Pain is/going to be, I think i might be done with the franchise. I just beat Peace Walker and that was a really disappointing game. I get that it's a portable game and all that side stuff was intended for a portable device, but when I see elements of PW showing up in Phantom Pain, I get really wary of how much that's going to be a distraction. I just want to play a good story driven MGS without all this motherbase shit :/

Palpable

If Peace Walker is a reflection of what Ground Zero and Phantom Pain is/going to be, I think i might be done with the franchise. I just beat Peace Walker and that was a really disappointing game. I get that it's a portable game and all that side stuff was intended for a portable device, but when I see elements of PW showing up in Phantom Pain, I get really wary of how much that's going to be a distraction. I just want to play a good story driven MGS without all this motherbase shit :/

From what I gather, the only things transferring over from PW to MGSV are the Mother Base building, extra-ops, and story/characters. Everything else about MGSV is gonna be quite more serious. PW was far too silly and Japanese for my tastes, and for that matter, what MGS is even used to. Play GZ and you'll see what I mean.

Toa TAK

Banned
You've got to be kidding me.

The instrumental was great, but the version with the Japanese woman singing in PW was so bad. It did NOT fit.

True. I'm not a fan of anime at all, which is why all the other Metal Gear games are so much better cringe-wise. I'm glad the direction MGSV is going.

Nah, it was a lot of fun.

I don't watch or am a fan of anime or anything like that, but how could you not laugh out of sheer joy of it all?

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
I hope TPP is PW 2 but without the.. japan-ness if you know what I mean. If it had the same depth of content and replayability as PW hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Palpable

CHEEZMO™;118838585 said:
I hope TPP is PW 2 but without the.. japan-ness if you know what I mean. If it had the same depth of content and replayability as PW hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Agreed. PW was far too Japanese. The other games definitely appeal much more to a worldwide audience.

Gumbie

Posted this in the MGS:HD collection thread but never got any replies

I have a strange request.

On my xbox 360 I had MGS3 HD and had played up to beating the bee guy and getting to the scientist that pisses on himself. I never got to finish and the 360 is long gone. I do how ever have a ps3 and will be buying it on there. Does anyone know of a place or have a save I can actually download that's close to that area so I don't have to replay the first half? I know it's a long shot, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. If I can't get a save I'll just play through again but my gaming time is pretty limited these days so I was hoping to pick up about where I left off.

Ishida

Banned
Nah, it was a lot of fun.

I don't watch or am a fan of anime or anything like that, but how could you not laugh out of sheer joy of it all?

Yup. I was a guy fighting a giant robot piloted by a young girl in her underwear who speaks in both english and spanish.

The song fit perfectly.

MGS2 and 3 are HELL on Vita. Play on PS3 if you can. It's the definitive version. Oh god Vita version is hellish

2 isn't too bad, but 3 is damn near impossible, especially for bosses. I would play 3 on my Vita at work until I got to a boss, then go home and beat them on my PS3

Resilient

2 isn't too bad, but 3 is damn near impossible, especially for bosses. I would play 3 on my Vita at work until I got to a boss, then go home and beat them on my PS3

I hates holding anybody up or quick reloading. This made dog tags really hard in 2. In fact I think fighting The Fury on Vita is probably a form of torture. Fuck that shit.

Ishida

Banned
So where there is some cringe, add more? Eh...

Well.... This is a video game series with psychic soldiers which can summon illusory fire whales and unicorns, people who can control bees, others who turn into fiery, fire faces when they die. A game where a person's death can turn flowers from white to red. A series with giant robots, cyborg ninjas, nanomachines, people who can shoot thunderbolts from their bodies, an old guy whose skin is photosyntetic and can "speak to the forest", a series which features a fat guy on skates placing bombs all over the place, a series where ghosts actually exist, a game series on which a girl is so lucky she can deflect missiles without the help of any "electromagnetic field", using LUCK alone. A game with a sexy sniper girl who can apparently create camouflage on her bare skin at will, a guy who can copy a person's appearance down to the voice and even their blood, a series about a bunch of clones made with 70's technology.

This is Metal Gear.

As a hardcore Metal Gear fan, and after seeing all that amazing shit in one of the most batshit insane series of all time, a girl
in her underwear piloting a giant nuclear-launching robot while a J-POP song plays in the background actually seems pretty standard shit.

Add more cringe, please.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Strangely, I don't remember playing MGS 3: Snake Eater.A friend of mine bought it as part of the HD collection and said the aiming and controls were horrid. Any truth to this? He told me aiming is really bad on the PS3.

The aiming is the same as it was on PS2.

These games don't have orthodox controls; you're going to have to spend time getting used to them, but they're perfect once you do.

void666

Banned
Question about peace walker: should i fulton everyone? During an alert some armored enemies showed up. Are they better than the regular ones?

Toa TAK

Banned
So where there is some cringe, add more? Eh...

It's Metal Gear. If you're not cringin' something's up.
I know I do. But when it came to the Paz battle, come on, you have to admit that was pretty funny.

I mean, if you weren't set in the mood by the silliness of FINDING ZADOORKNOB 7 times as Kaz and Snake are really chill about it, then I don't know man. I don't know.

Toa TAK

Banned
Chuu crazy. That's the least crazy part of PW. The
AI becoming self aware due to emotions
is twenty times crazier.

Thank you.
In fact, the whole thing with The Boss being an AI was retarded. Personally felt like it shat on MGS3's ending a bit.

Still love Peace Walker, though.

Palpable

Well.... This is a video game series with psychic soldiers which can summon illusory fire whales and unicorns, people who can control bees, others who turn into fiery, fire faces when they die. A game where a person's death can turn flowers from white to red. A series with giant robots, cyborg ninjas, nanomachines, people who can shoot thunderbolts from their bodies, an old guy whose skin is photosyntetic and can "speak to the forest", a series which features a fat guy on skates placing bombs all over the place, a series where ghosts actually exist, a game series on which a girl is so lucky she can deflect missiles without the help of any "electromagnetic field", using LUCK alone. A game with a sexy sniper girl who can apparently create camouflage on her bare skin at will, a guy who can copy a person's appearance down to the voice and even their blood, a series about a bunch of clones made with 70's technology.

This is Metal Gear.

As a hardcore Metal Gear fan, and after seeing all that amazing shit in one of the most batshit insane series of all time, a girl
in her underwear piloting a giant nuclear-launching robot while a J-POP song plays in the background actually seems pretty standard shit.

Add more cringe, please.

It's Metal Gear. If you're not cringin' something's up.
I know I do. But when it came to the Paz battle, come on, you have to admit that was pretty funny.

I mean, if you weren't set in the mood by the silliness of FINDING ZADOORKNOB 7 times as Kaz and Snake are really chill about it, then I don't know man. I don't know.

Chuu crazy. That's the least crazy part of PW. The
AI becoming self aware due to emotions
is twenty times crazier.

Don't get me wrong, I've been a huge fan since I first played MGS1 in 1998, but adding more and more cringe to the series doesn't help it. Going the serious route of MGSV, however, will. I know the cringe stuff from the series is a part of its identity, and believe me I love that part, but to an extent. What helps alleviate some of the cringe is knowing that this is a sci-fi series at heart which is grounded in real world events and experimental military technology. Some of the bat-shit insane stuff that happens can be linked to the science fiction element here. Making PW lean more towards the anime-Japanese-ish side as opposed to its normal worldwide appeal didn't help either. I loved PW though, minus some of that cringy stuff that was mentioned.

Ishida

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I've been a huge fan since I first played MGS1 in 1998, but adding more and more cringe to the series doesn't help it. Going the serious route of MGSV, however, will. I know the cringe stuff from the series is a part of its identity, and believe me I love that part, but to an extent. What helps alleviate some of the cringe is knowing that this is a sci-fi series at heart which is grounded in real world events and experimental military technology. Some of the bat-shit insane stuff that happens can be linked to the science fiction element here. Making PW lean more towards the anime-Japanese-ish side as opposed to its normal worldwide appeal didn't help either. I loved PW though, minus some of that cringy stuff that was mentioned.

To be honest, I still don't see much of that serious route a lot of people are claiming. Yes, MGSV seems to contain more gore and some serious themes like child soldiers, but the cringe and cheese is still there.

Fultoning sheep? Check.

Cardboard box stealth? Check.

Soldiers screaming "YIPIEEE!!!" as they are fultoned? Check.

Sniper with "camo at will" on her skin? Check.

Young Psycho Mantis that can summon fire whales, fire unicorns and "demons"? Check.

And thinking about it, that's pretty good (Pun intended). Metal Gear is supposed to have insane amounts of cheese. A "completely serious" Metal Gear would stick out too much, and if I wanted to play a "serious" stealth game, I would go for Thief or hell, maybe even Splinter Cell. I play Metal Gear for it's gameplay, and for it's completely CRAZY and ridiculous story and cartoony characters.

Wanting Metal Gear to "be serious", in my opinion, would be like the equivalent of wanting Super Mario to rip Bowser's head off with his bare hands in the next game.

But to each it's own, I guess!

Resilient

Bro, go back and play MGS1 again. In that game alone:

You fought a helicopter (and won).
There was a Cyborg Ninja who wanted you to punish him that turned out to be your close friend turned cyborg.
You fought a guy who could read your mind.
You fought your twin brother generated from the cells of the greatest solider that ever lived, while he was in a giant Mech, and then he waited for you to wake up to fight you honorably on the head of said Mech.
And Nanomachines.

The game was never grounded in reality. It has been anime inspired from the start.

KOMANI

KOMANI
To be honest, I still don't see much of that serious route a lot of people are claiming. Yes, MGSV seems to contain more gore and some serious themes like child soldiers, but the cringe and cheese is still there.

Fultoning sheep? Check.

Young Psycho Mantis that can summon fire whales, fire unicorns and "demons"? Check.

And thinking about it, that's pretty good (Pun intended). Metal Gear is supposed to have insane amounts of cheese. A "completely serious" Metal Gear would stick out too much, and if I wanted to play a "serious" stealth game, I would go for Thief or hell, maybe even Splinter Cell. I play Metal Gear for it's gameplay, and for it's completely CRAZY and ridiculous story and cartoony characters.

Wanting Metal Gear to "be serious", in my opinion, would be like the equivalent of wanting Super Mario to rip Bowser's head off with his bare hands in the next game.

your first examples are "the silliness of metal gear gameplay". He was talking about the camp/cheese of the actual story. The stuff in bold is a moot point when, I believe, character designs/choices aren't silly if the character, themselves, is serious.

Ishida

Banned
your first examples are "the silliness of metal gear gameplay". He was talking about the camp/cheese of the actual story. The stuff in bold is a moot point when, I believe, character designs/choices aren't silly if the character, themselves, is serious.

I disagree. But anyways.

Palpable

Fultoning sheep? Check.

I like how you're trying to twist what I mean.

Kojima has said this multiple times; many of the goofy elements in TPP are to alleviate us from the serious tone of the game. Some of what you mentioned is pure speculation, too.

As I have said before; much of it is linked to its sci-fi/fantasy nature. The word "cartoony" never entered my mind when playing any MGS game, ever, except for PW during that dumb J-Pop bit. If it were the instrumental, it'd be so much better. Metal Gear has always been serious with its story and themes. The gameplay has always added that element of comical relief. Codec conversations have also had their fair share of goofiness.

I play MGS for its awesome story and fantastic gameplay. There have always been two sides; the campy and the serious. MGS has always held a balance. Some of the games have tipped in one direction over the other. V is going on the more serious side when it comes to story according to what we've seen, played, and heard from Kojima. I'm happy with this.

Completely agree.

Bro, go back and play MGS1 again. In that game alone:

You fought a helicopter (and won).
There was a Cyborg Ninja who wanted you to punish him that turned out to be your close friend turned cyborg.
You fought a guy who could read your mind.
You fought your twin brother generated from the cells of the greatest solider that ever lived, while he was in a giant Mech, and then he waited for you to wake up to fight you honorably on the head of said Mech.
And Nanomachines.

The game was never grounded in reality. It has been anime inspired from the start.

I disagree completely. So movies/games where the hero defeats shit as all odds are against him are cartoony and anime? So what you're saying is that almost every action film is inspired by cartoons and anime? Same with sci-fi? Come on. Yes, it's grounded in reality and military technology. I'm not sure how that could go over someone's head.

Ishida

Banned

Kojima has said this multiple times; many of the goofy elements in TPP are to alleviate us from the serious tone of the game. Some of what you mentioned is pure speculation, too.

As I have said before; much of it is linked to its sci-fi/fantasy nature. The word "cartoony" never entered my mind when playing any MGS game, ever, except for PW during that dumb J-Pop bit. If it were the instrumental, it'd be so much better. Metal Gear has always been serious with its story and themes. The gameplay has always added that element of comical relief. Codec conversations have also had their fair share of goofiness.

I play MGS for its awesome story and fantastic gameplay. There have always been two sides; the campy and the serious. MGS has always held a balance. Some of the games have tipped in one direction over the other. V is going on the more serious side when it comes to story according to what we've seen, played, and heard from Kojima. I'm happy with this.

I'm not trying to twist anything. Just saying it like it is. I LOVE how MGSV looks, but it doesn't look too different from the other games when it comes to cheese. I'm sure we will see some hardcore scenes during the game, but in the end the story will be ridiculous, and we will fight yet another mechanical monstruosity.

Palpable

I'm not trying to twist anything. Just saying it like it is. I LOVE how MGSV looks, but it doesn't look too different from the other games when it comes to cheese. I'm sure we will see some hardcore scenes during the game, but in the end the story will be ridiculous, and we will fight yet another mechanical monstruosity.

But ridiculous doesn't equal cheese. From what you're saying, just about all video games and action/sci-fi movies are ridiculous? Come on.

Resilient

What? PW is completely "balanced" as any other MGS title, if not the most balanced of all the games. How can the j-pop just take that balance away? I don't understand. Everything I listed in MGS is so damn anime it hurts and that is just MGS. What about MGS2? And 3? Their plots alone are way "goofier" and anime inspired than PW. In fact Fury's death alone trumps anything in PW. I dunno, unless you have a massive distaste for j-pop I can't see how it would ruin PW. If anything it just makes it even better considering how bizarre and strange it is at that point in the game. Did you forget that
the AI became sentient and spoke to Boss?
?

Seriously, go play 1 and then 2 and you will see the series had already reached the peak of ridiculous there.

Ishida

Banned
But ridiculous doesn't equal cheese. From what you're saying, just about all video games and action/sci-fi movies are ridiculous? Come on.

Most of them are. Ridiculous doesn't mean bad, though.

Metal Gear is extremely ridiculous, but it is GREAT.

Palpable

What? PW is completely "balanced" as any other MGS title, if not the most balanced of all the games. How can the j-pop just take that balance away? I don't understand. Everything I listed in MGS is so damn anime it hurts and that is just MGS. What about MGS2? And 3? Their plots alone are way "goofier" and anime inspired than PW. In fact Fury's death alone trumps anything in PW. I dunno, unless you have a massive distaste for j-pop I can't see how it would ruin PW. If anything it just makes it even better considering how bizarre and strange it is at that point in the game. Did you forget that
the AI became sentient and spoke to Boss?
?

Seriously, go play 1 and then 2 and you will see the series had already reached the peak of ridiculous there.

Why exactly do you keep referring to it being inspired by anime? I don't get it. Anime is an art form and the stories within those shows/movies are just goofy and over the top. Only some anime tropes are found within MGS (for example; Snake's constant repetition). That stuff you mentioned is just over the top ridiculous action movie stuff, not anime inspired. Haven't you ever seen an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie? Are you going to tell me his action movies are inspired by anime?

I don't particularly like J-Pop, but it being in the game really didn't make any sense. PW was the most unbalanced when it came to campy and serious.

I know you keep referring to the
AI becoming sentient[/b] and yes that was ridiculous, but I'm guessing you're going to tell me that Terminator 2 is also ridiculous and anime inspired too, then, right? In the context of it all, it isn't. PW went a bit too far.

Most of them are. Ridiculous doesn't mean bad, though.

Metal Gear is extremely ridiculous, but it is GREAT.

Right... I'm not disagreeing with you when it comes to it being ridiculous. MGS clearly wants to be an action/sci-fi movie, and we all know how ridiculous and awesome most of those are.

Salaadin

I really wish we knew what the GZ mother base phone app will do for TPP. Im really tired of playing this but my gut tells me I should keep going just in case. Currently at lvl 40 :/

Resilient

Why exactly do you keep referring to it being inspired by anime? I don't get it. Anime is an art form and the stories within those shows/movies are just goofy and over the top. Only some anime tropes are found within MGS (for example; Snake's constant repetition). That stuff you mentioned is just over the top ridiculous action movie stuff, not anime inspired. Haven't you ever seen an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie? Are you going to tell me his action movies are inspired by anime?

I don't particularly like J-Pop, but it being in the game really didn't make any sense. PW was the most unbalanced when it came to campy and serious.

I know you keep referring to the
AI becoming sentient[/b] and yes that was ridiculous, but I'm guessing you're going to tell me that Terminator 2 is also ridiculous and anime inspired too, then, right? In the context of it all, it isn't. PW went a bit too far.

Right... I'm not disagreeing with you when it comes to it being ridiculous. MGS clearly wants to be an action/sci-fi movie, and we all know how ridiculous and awesome most of those are.
I don't get where you draw the line over what is too Japanese. How is MGS3 by your standards not too Japanese? The entire Cobra unit? Eva flashing her assets left and right? What about 4? Raiden break dance sword fighting with barely any limbs left? Stopping the ship with his body? VAMP!? Why is j-pop in a boss fight too Japanese in a series where all this stuff happens?

Toa TAK

Banned
I gotta be honest with you guys, as someone who hasn't been with the series day one and just got really into it recently:

I never had an interest in the Metal Gear games soley because my view on them, or at the very least, every time I saw it presented it was just fucking weird. Yeah, I'm talking about everything from the BEES, THROUGH THIS ARM, the voice acting overall, especially Hayter who sounds like someone parodying action fimls, and the Metal Gears themselves look like flying dinosaurs, Vamp, etc.

The only reason I jumped in was because the HD collection came out for the 360, and my friend was a fan of the series since its inception let me borrow his own HD collection. I started up MGS3 since it was first and I heard SO MANY GOOD THINGS ABOUT IT nonstop. It took forever to get used to the long cutscenes, awkward dialogue, controls, weird characters and other stuff I would just push aside and say "that's just Japanese... I guess" including the heavy ass preaching. But overall, I came to enjoy the experience on my own, including the story and the characters who I took a huge liking to, and up until Ground Zeroes, only played for the story and not so much the gameplay.

Point is, whenever I see stuff like "that doesn't make sense for Metal Gear" or "the grounded/ worldwide appeal" and other stuff like that, I just laugh. The first things I think of when I hear Metal Gear Solid are fucking cyborg ninjas, BEES, codecs, cheesy ass Hayter, and ridiculous sci-fi. And I know I'm not alone on that.

What I'm trying to say is that ALL of MGS is ridiculous. I love MGS3 with a burning passion of a thousand suns, but dudes, that ending with EVA being a triple agent and The Boss really just being a pawn in the US Government's plan to prove it's innocence was eye-rolling, all with EVA's super emotional narration, too.

So just relax. MGS is a great series, it's got something for everyone, silly or serious, intense or relaxed, guns 'n blazing or stealth. We should just be thankful we're continuing to get these games as is.

/rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom