• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread: Made you wait, didn't I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

valkyre

Agreed that MGS2 had a great soundtrack, which also reminds me....

wth happened to GZ soundtrack??

IMHO Ground Zeroes has an amazing soundtrack and yet I cant find an original release anywhere... all we are left with are youtube rips...

Is there any word on an official soundtrack release for this game/demo/whatever?

There are some tracks that are simply unbelievable in there...

Palpable

Agreed that MGS2 had a great soundtrack, which also reminds me....

wth happened to GZ soundtrack??

IMHO Ground Zeroes has an amazing soundtrack and yet I cant find an original release anywhere... all we are left with are youtube rips...

Is there any word on an official soundtrack release for this game/demo/whatever?

There are some tracks that are simply unbelievable in there...

Agreed. They haven't done a release for it. I'm sure they're waiting to do one large MGSV soundtrack combining GZ and TPP.

psychotron

So I'm getting pretty far into my HD run of MGS 2 and all this time I thought I had an idea of what the hell it all meant, but after doing some reading on theories, I feel more confused than ever. I understood what happened in all the the other games, but some people are saying that MGS 2 was all VR and didn't actually happen, and that MGS4 was made as if it all did happen just to please fans that took MGS 2 at face value.

Then there's this one theory that's probably ridiculous but I thought the idea of it was pretty cool. They claimed that MGS 1 was real, and MGS Twin Snakes was actually Raiden doing his VR training on Shadow Moses, which explains the over the top flips and ninja moves.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So I'm getting pretty far into my HD run of MGS 2 and all this time I thought I had an idea of what the hell it all meant, but after doing some reading on theories, I feel more confused than ever. I understood what happened in all the the other games, but some people are saying that MGS 2 was all VR and didn't actually happen, and that MGS4 was made as if it all did happen just to please fans that took MGS 2 at face value.

Then there's this one theory that's probably ridiculous but I thought the idea of it was pretty cool. They claimed that MGS 1 was real, and MGS Twin Snakes was actually Raiden doing his VR training on Shadow Moses, which explains the over the top flips and ninja moves.

MGS2 and TTS as vr missions are simply fan theories. Some of them are pretty interesting.

Canonically, MGS2 happened and MGS4 proves as such. Take everything at face value. It's not THAT complex of a story. The S3 plan was created as a means to see if the Patriots could create an environment that would lead people to do what they were told given the right context. They succeeded. Everything that happened in MGS2 was based off the events of MGS.

Solid Snake = Raiden
Big Boss/Liquid = Solidus
Hal Emmerich = Emma Emmerich
Hind D = Harrier
Darpa Chief (Decoy Octopus) and President Baker deaths = Ames and President Johnson deaths
Grey Fox ninja = Olga ninja
FOXHOUND = Dead Cell
Sons of Big Boss (in the MGS1 briefing this is what the Genome Soldiers call themselves) = Sons of Liberty (the MGS2 terrorists)

There were three unknown factors: Solid Snake, Otacon, and Liquid possessing Ocelot. These three were never part of the Patriots' simulation of MGS1 at Big Shell. Despite their interference, the Patriots were still able to succeed with their S3 plan. Later, MGS4 would confirm that Ocelot was never truly loyal to the Patriots at this point in the timeline. Also, unlike the rest of Dead Cell, Fatman knew from the beginnning that Dead Cell and Solidus were being used. But he went along with it because they promised getting Stillman to show up at the Big Shell.

Twin Snakes is a little different. MGS2 and MGS4 use footage of the PS1 version, but MGS4 uses audio of the Gamecube version and both Naomi and Mei Ling lack their accents just like they did in Twin Snakes. You can decide for yourself which one is canon.

psychotron

MGS2 and TTS as vr missions are simply fan theories. Some of them are pretty interesting.

Canonically, MGS2 happened and MGS4 proves as such. Take everything at face value. It's not THAT complex of a story. The S3 plan was created as a means to see if the Patriots could create an environment that would lead people to do what they were told given the right context. They succeeded. Everything that happened in MGS2 was based off the events of MGS.

Solid Snake = Raiden
Big Boss/Liquid = Solidus
Hal Emmerich = Emma Emmerich
Hind D = Harrier
Darpa Chief (Decoy Octopus) and President Baker deaths = Ames and President Johnson deaths
Grey Fox ninja = Olga ninja
FOXHOUND = Dead Cell
Sons of Big Boss (in the MGS1 briefing this is what the Genome Soldiers call themselves) = Sons of Liberty (the MGS2 terrorists)

There were three unknown factors: Solid Snake, Otacon, and Liquid possessing Ocelot. These three were never part of the Patriots' simulation of MGS1 at Big Shell. Despite their interference, the Patriots were still able to succeed with their S3 plan. Later, MGS4 would confirm that Ocelot was never truly loyal to the Patriots at this point in the timeline. Also, unlike the rest of Dead Cell, Fatman knew from the beginnning that Dead Cell and Solidus were being used. But he went along with it because they promised getting Stillman to show up at the Big Shell.

Twin Snakes is a little different. MGS2 and MGS4 use footage of the PS1 version, but MGS4 uses audio of the Gamecube version and both Naomi and Mei Ling lack their accents just like they did in Twin Snakes. You can decide for yourself which one is canon.

That's a pretty good breakdown. So basically MGS 2 definitely happened with the patriots tricking everyone into reprising the roles of everyone in MGS1, but Snake and Otacon show up and fuck everything up. I'm still confused on how the patriots kidnapped Olga's baby though considering they were all dead and acting as an A.I. Unless I'm still screwing things up.

Sub_Level

That's a pretty good breakdown. So basically MGS 2 definitely happened with the patriots tricking everyone into reprising the roles of everyone in MGS1, but Snake and Otacon show up and fuck everything up. I'm still confused on how the patriots kidnapped Olga's baby though considering they were all dead and acting as an A.I. Unless I'm still screwing things up.

Yes, Otacon and Solid Snake mess things up. They knew to go to Big Shell in the first place because at one point Liquid possessed Ocelot and tipped them off. Liquid knew Solid Snake had to be in a certain proximity to Ocelot to wake him.

At the time of release, MGS2 did not 100% confirm that the Patriots were AI-only. Liquid Ocelot at the end is in fact going to "bury the Patriots for good" with Ocelot's Patriot agent knowledge in his mind. At the time of release, we figured that to mean he was going after the Wiseman's Committee. Solidus, too, wanted to kill Raiden at the end because "information on the Patriots is contained in his cerebral cortex and the neural network they formed" and even before that Solidus wanted to use GW to see what information was filtered out of the public eye (which would likely include the names of the Patriot members).

MGS4 later definitvely confirmed that after a certain period in time, the Patriots was completely run by AI.

The AI and human Patriots members function the same way, though, so it really doesn't matter. The Patriots don't do things on their own, they order other people because they have complete control over the military, markets, and government. Even President Johnson said to Raiden that he "receives instructions from a cutout". So, to steal Olga's baby, all they had to do is use one of their pawns (which could be literally anyone, but in this case remember that Olga told Raiden the hospital where she gave birth to her child was run by the Patriots so it was likely hospital staff) to steal the child.

Zambatoh

The only way to grasp MGS2's ending is to not accept anyone else's theory but your own.

Edit: This was in regards to Psychotron's posts. Reading other people's theories would confuse you, if only because the fanbase has spent the last decade arguing over it and still are even after MGS4's release.

Sub_Level

The only way to grasp MGS2's ending is to not accept anyone else's theory but your own.

It's really not that open to interpretation, though, especially after MGS4. I like the theories, but even at the time of release, when Solid Snake was saying to "decide for yourself what to believe in" and that the "Patriots themselves are a kind of fiction", I think he was referring more to the consistent theme of the game of filtering information to pass onto the future than saying "yo Raiden some of this shit may or may not have happened including this very conversation we're having".

psychotron

Yes, Otacon and Solid Snake mess things up. They knew to go to Big Shell in the first place because at one point Liquid possessed Ocelot and tipped them off. Liquid knew Solid Snake had to be in a certain proximity to Ocelot to wake him.

At the time of release, MGS2 did not 100% confirm that the Patriots were AI-only. Liquid Ocelot at the end is in fact going to "bury the Patriots for good" with Ocelot's Patriot agent knowledge in his mind. At the time of release, we figured that to mean he was going after the Wiseman's Committee. Solidus, too, wanted to kill Raiden at the end because "information on the Patriots is contained in his cerebral cortex and the neural network they formed" and even before that Solidus wanted to use GW to see what information was filtered out of the public eye (which would likely include the names of the Patriot members).

MGS4 later definitvely confirmed that after a certain period in time, the Patriots was completely run by AI.

The AI and human Patriots members function the same way, though, so it really doesn't matter. The Patriots don't do things on their own, they order other people because they have complete control over the military, markets, and government. Even President Johnson said to Raiden that he "receives instructions from a cutout". So, to steal Olga's baby, all they had to do is use one of their pawns (which could be literally anyone, but in this case remember that Olga told Raiden the hospital where she gave birth to her child was run by the Patriots so it was likely hospital staff) to steal the child.

Makes sense. Never realized how crazy deep MGS2 was before.

Mature

Dead Cell is so fuckin' cool.
Absolutely.
Dead-cell.jpg

The Sons of Liberty are one of the most iconic groups in the Metal Gear franchise to me. What other terrorist group is run by an ex-US President donning an exo suit?

Palpable

Absolutely.
Dead-cell.jpg

The Sons of Liberty are one of the most iconic groups in the Metal Gear franchise to me. What other terrorist group is run by an ex-US President donning an exo suit?

Same. MGS1 and 2 had the best bosses (as both fights & background story wise).

Frolow

Banned
Just beat Peace Walker. Is it a bad thing that I know that (GZ spoilers)
Paz is in the game and has some relation to XOF?

Bulbasaur

Banned
Never played MGS. Love stealth. The 3DS version has just appeared on the eshop for cheap. Do I need the circle pad pro? I tried the demo, aiming with abxy was kinda hard..

Frolow

Banned
Never played MGS. Love stealth. The 3DS version has just appeared on the eshop for cheap. Do I need the circle pad pro? I tried the demo, aiming with abxy was kinda hard..

Playing the games in release order is better, so start with MGS1 if you can. As for Snake Eater, the 3DS port is pretty bad. Definitely get the HD version if you have a 360 or PS3.

DevilFox

Let's get some awesome fan-made videos in here:

Good guys, I like both a lot.
I'd like to share these..

Big Boss - See what I've become, how and why he changed from the Naked Snake to the legendary and feared Big Boss.
Solid Snake - Something to fight for, from the lonely soldier who fights only for himself to the Old Snake ready to sacrifice for the others.
Metal Gear Solid V: Outer Heaven, the meaning of the fantasy called Outer Heaven.

and this. quite evidently on another, superior level:

Nurture

Palpable

Me being a huge fan of MGS, I convinced my girlfriend to watch me play through all the games (MGS1, 2, 3, 4, PW, & GZ). In terms of accessability, she liked 4 the best (she got all gooey during the
Meryl & Johnny wedding
- heh... wimmin). She totally understands how it retcons and merits some stuff in MGS2 totally pointless at least.

Anyway, she got insanely crazy whenever the MK.II was on screen. Apparently it's the cutest thing ever. She didn't even care for the MK.III because, "it's a different color and therefore not as cute as the one before it." She wanted a toy version of it so badly. We both looked everywhere but couldn't find a thing of one existing. Luckily I found a female fan of the series that just so happens to make plushies. I messaged her and told her my situation. This lady was extra excited to do this for me since I told her it'd be a present for my girlfriend for our 1 year anniversary (July 10th). She just shipped it, so when it gets here I'll post more pictures. Here's the finished product:

A2A94028-03C3-4A4F-8D17-C59CE64370F8_zps4nei9cdm.jpg

Mature

Me being a huge fan of MGS, I convinced my girlfriend to watch me play through all the games (MGS1, 2, 3, 4, PW, & GZ). In terms of accessability, she liked 4 the best (she got all gooey during the
Meryl & Johnny wedding
- heh... wimmin). She totally understands how it retcons and merits some stuff in MGS2 totally pointless at least.

Anyway, she got insanely crazy whenever the MK.II was on screen. Apparently it's the cutest thing ever. She didn't even care for the MK.III because, "it's a different color and therefore not as cute as the one before it." She wanted a toy version of it so badly. We both looked everywhere but couldn't find a thing of one existing. Luckily I found a female fan of the series that just so happens to make plushies. I messaged her and told her my situation. This lady was extra excited to do this for me since I told her it'd be a present for my girlfriend for our 1 year anniversary (July 10th). She just shipped it, so when it gets here I'll post more pictures. Here's the finished product:

A2A94028-03C3-4A4F-8D17-C59CE64370F8_zps4nei9cdm.jpg
Haha, amazing. Metal Gear is always entertaining to watch as well as play.

Palpable

Haha, amazing. Metal Gear is always entertaining to watch as well as play.

Thankfully so. It's so refreshing to be able to talk to my girlfriend about MGS. She's only viewed each game once, but she's into the story and the characters. She's quite excited for TPP as well. lol

MacNille

Banned
Does anyone know why they are not using real weapons anymore in the game? Big Boss weapon is a frankenstein of weapons.It looks on FN FNC, but it is not.

hateradio

I think it's been discussed before, but no one has any definitive answers.

If I were to speculate, I imagine that it's just a gun created by the R&D team in the game at Outer Heaven/Mother Base (whatever it's called). They might make custom weapons since they don't get them through legal channels.

Golnei

If I were to speculate, I imagine that it's just a gun created by the R&D team in the game at Outer Heaven/Mother Base (whatever it's called). They might make custom weapons since they don't get them through legal channels.

It's not that much of a stretch, considering they were manufacturing soda, tortillas and deodorant in Peace Walker.

hateradio

Well, tortillas are easy to make, and so is soda.

However, I wonder what Sans Frontières: Eau de toilette smells like.

Palpable

Does anyone know why they are not using real weapons anymore in the game? Big Boss weapon is a frankenstein of weapons.It looks on FN FNC, but it is not.

Yeah I tend to bring this up whenever I can. It bothers the hell outta me. My only guess is that they decided not to pay for licensing use of the guns. It's especially bothersome when you think back to prior games and how the weapons were made a point in many scenes. MGS2, for example, Raiden knew that the hostiles that took over Big Shell were Russian based on their equipment and AN-94's. Snake suspected the guys hijacking the tanker were Russians based on the KA-60 Kasatka's (no real world vehicles for MGSV either, only made up now) and the troops carrying AKS-74u's. In MGS1 Ocelot says, "The Colt Single Action Army; the greatest handgun ever made. 6 shots. More than enough to kill anything that moves." In MGSV Ocelot is seen carrying some sort of revolver, but it can't be the SAA since there are no real weapons now. That's a massive letdown.

The fact that the Soviets are carrying made-up versions of the AK-47 in the Afghan stage and the Marines in Camp Omega are carrying fictional weapons, I'd say Mother Base R&D has nothing to do with it. In PW they even made real weapons (aside from the sci-fi stuff like the rail gun).

Edit: It also makes 0 sense that the Marines aren't carrying M16 or AR-15 based rifles. Back then that was the standard for the military. Them carrying mock weapons based off of the Chinese SAR-80 is completely nonsensical.

Tekku

In preparation for TPP; is there any good re-cap footage of the series out there? Like pretty in-depth with the story and characters (I'm mainly interested in this, not so much the gameplay).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom