• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rean

We're just crashing after that hype overload.
Let the hype come back to life.

DD_mgsV.gif

MattyG

Banned
Guys. My hype is through the roof with this whole "big news on Wednesday" thing. I'm going to finish Dying Light this week and then start my Metal Gear full series playthrough. Should I do all the games over spring break, or space them out until launch (let's assume it's in June)?

I think I'll do this order;

MG1 and 2 (MSX)
MGS1 (first time ever playing the whole thing)
MGS2
MGS3
MGS PO (might skip this one, not sure yet)
MGS4
MGS PW
MGR (IT'S CANON DEAL WITH IT)
MGS GZ

Rean

Guys. My hype is through the roof with this whole "big news on Wednesday" thing. I'm going to finish Dying Light this week and then start my Metal Gear full series playthrough. Should I do all the games over spring break, or space them out until launch (let's assume it's in June)?

MG1 and 2 (MSX)
MGS2
MGS3
MGS4
MGS PW
MGS GZ
Spring Break Marathon.

MattyG

Banned
Spring Break Marathon.
whiplash_3.gif

I wish I had a way to stream it. That'd be fun. I could at least double dip for GZ on PC and stream that and Rising, I guess.

Also, which do you all think is better for PW, PSP (I'd play it on Vita) or PS3?

MG1 and 2 (MSX)
MGS2
MGS3
MGS4
MGS PW
MGS GZ
Nice! I plan on doing a marathon once we get a release date. I almost hope it's not too soon, so I can get through them all and still have time for new releases lol.

JayEH

whiplash_3.gif

I wish I had a way to stream it. That'd be fun. I could at least double dip for GZ on PC and stream that and Rising, I guess.

Also, which do you all think is better for PW, PSP (I'd play it on Vita) or PS3?

PS3 since it has a higher frame rate.

MattyG

Banned
PS3 since it has a higher frame rate.
Ah ok. I've played a bit of it on PS3 already a couple years back when I first bought the HD collection, but I wasn't sure if the experience fit the PSP better or anything. I'm always down for higher framerate.

Just remembered, Hotline Miami 2 is next week. That'll have to fit into my Metal Gear schedule somehow.

MG1 and 2 (MSX)
MGS2
MGS3
MGS4
MGS PW
MGS GZ

I've finished recently:

Metal gear (msx)
Metal gear 2 (msx)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS3)
Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS3)

Just tonight started mgs4. God what a weird game. Why is johnny in this game?? Who approved this?

I tried to play portable ops but nope fuck that shit.

Will finally play peace walker after 4.

MattyG

Banned
I've finished recently:

Metal gear (msx)
Metal gear 2 (msx)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS3)
Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS3)

Just tonight started mgs4. God what a weird game. Why is johnny in this game?? Who approved this?

I tried to play portable ops but nope fuck that shit.

Will finally play peace walker after 4.
Portable Ops isn't bad, I just don't know how well it's aged since I played it. I played it 2 times in 2010, loved it, but I have a feeling that after playing what little I did of PW I can't go back.

-Deimos

Oh man, going through some MGO2 nostalgia right now. Please let them bring back death screams and funny codecs.

Ding! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! "That's gotta be a new record!"

DOWN

Banned

MG1 and 2 (MSX)
MGS2
MGS3
MGS4
MGS PW
MGS GZ
Skip MGS PO and I wouldn't count MGR as worth listing even if you play it. Only the Kojima-directed games count, IMO.

MattyG

Banned
Skip MGS PO and I wouldn't count MGR as worth listing even if you play it. Only the Kojima-directed games count, IMO.
Yeah, I probably will skip MPO. Played it 2 times already anyway, and the story is simple enough to just read to refresh my memory.

As for MGR, I'll spare 6 hours to replay it. Gotta give the PC version a whirl anyways.

dc89

Imagine living in New Zealand. Where it's now 9:25pm, so close to Wednesday...yet...you have to wait the same as the rest of us.

Thought about coming in here to ask how I should do my own playthrough; chronological or by release. But then I was watching some of the old MGS3 trailers, which are magnificently cut, and I remembered how fucking stoked I was to be seeing a younger Ocelot, after having seen him in MGS1 & 2, and to finally be seeing the story of the dead man (Big Boss) who's presence loomed so large over MGS1.

But it is a huge undertaking to replay everything from the beginning... and I've been putting it off until I can get enough duckets to import the Japanese version of the legacy collection. I pretty much know the dialogue of every game backwards and forwards, and the lip syncing issues really bother me in the English versions.

But goddamnit do I want to just bust out the PS2 and play Snake Eater right now.

JayEH

Thought about coming in here to ask how I should do my own playthrough; chronological or by release. But then I was watching some of the old MGS3 trailers, which are magnificently cut, and I remembered how fucking stoked I was to be seeing a younger Ocelot, after having seen him in MGS1 & 2, and to finally be seeing the story of the dead man (Big Boss) who's presence loomed so large over MGS1.

But it is a huge undertaking to replay everything from the beginning... and I've been putting it off until I can get enough duckets to import the Japanese version of the legacy collection. I pretty much know the dialogue of every game backwards and forwards, and the lip syncing issues really bother me in the English versions.

But goddamnit do I want to just bust out the PS2 and play Snake Eater right now.

By release. Chronological can be really jarring not only from gameplay but also because of the retcons in later games.

Palpable

That sound didn't seem synced with any of the headshots, I thought it was added to the trailer as a sound effect

Three different headshots at once. Not to mention none of the headshots seemed instant anyway, like there was even some sort of lag. Look at the opening of the trailer when they're running into position. Big Boss' rifle isn't synced with his body movements.

Regardless of whether that sound effect was added in or not, they wouldn't have put it in the trailer if it wasn't going to be in the game.

DOWN

Banned
Always go chronological when it really matters. It's often assumed by the creators that the new entries will be viewed after previously released ones, so content and references are written as such. That's the case with MGS.

JayEH

Always go chronological when it really matters. It's often assumed by the creators that the new entries will be viewed after previously released ones, so content and references are written as such. That's the case with MGS.

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here but MGS retcons things all the the time.

Juicy Bob

To be honest, I've never understood why anyone would want to play through the games in any order other than release order.

Yeah, the story jumps about a bit in terms of the timeline, but they were always making up the story as they went along anyway, so if you play them in timeline order, you run the risk of missing out on certain references or bits making no sense without context.

Also, the series has developed so much over the years. Every game improves on the formula of the previous installments in some way, to a point where it's probably pretty jarring to start with MGS3 and having the camo and the camera and the improved controls and getting used to that before getting to MGS1 and having to put up with a fixed camera and far less sophisticated stealth mechanics.

NCell

Three different headshots at once. Not to mention none of the headshots seemed instant anyway, Pike there was even some sort of lag. Look at the opening of the trailer when they're running into position. Big Boss' rifle isn't synced with his body movements.

Regardless of whether that sound effect was added in or not, they wouldn't have put it in the trailer if it wasn't going to be in the game.

Like the selfie feature? They aren't sure they will implement it yet and it was shown on the trailer.

Mexen

So Sn4ke's ban could be like BB's coma.

MGS V Announcement.

Our fans, you have waited for quite some time for the release date, but you'll have to wait a little longer for the game's actual release... I'm afraid, it will release in 9 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom