• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palpable

Like the selfie feature? They aren't sure they will implement it yet and it was shown on the trailer.

Apples and oranges. The selfie thing was confirmed, I thought.

Anyway, the headshot sound effect is well known amongst MGO2 vets. If it isn't in MGO3, I'll be surprised.

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here but MGS retcons things all the the time.

Come on now. There are three at best, with some very minor retcons regarding MG and MG2 (games that don't really count because there's virtually nothing of them and have always been retconned). It still amazes me how this myth keeps going.

Come on now. There are three at best, with some very minor retcons regarding MG and MG2 (games that don't really count because there's virtually nothing of them and have always been retconned). It still amazes me how this myth keeps going.

i wouldn't necessarily say that MGS is rife with retcons (though most of big bosses backstory is), but i think that kojima makes each game as if it's his last, so he pulls no punches with storyline and reveals, etc. he basically paints himself into corners with each game and has to explain his way out of it, and some of that stuff is clearly, obviously written after the fact (as opposed to it all being some grand plan he had in mind). like zero being the big mastermind villain after being the mild-mannered james bond-loving bloke version of cambell. it is a valid criticism, and one that kojima has recognized. but i guess technically most of that stuff aren't retcons.

Mexen

What if the announcement is a reveal of Jacob, Eli's brother.

"Thus we shall find the two, Jacob and Eli,
although belonging to different families, yet
brethren by the same mother."

Source.

Choomp

Banned
Guys. My hype is through the roof with this whole "big news on Wednesday" thing. I'm going to finish Dying Light this week and then start my Metal Gear full series playthrough. Should I do all the games over spring break, or space them out until launch (let's assume it's in June)?

I think I'll do this order;

MG1 and 2 (MSX)
MGS1 (first time ever playing the whole thing)
MGS2
MGS3
MGS PO (might skip this one, not sure yet)
MGS4
MGS PW
MGR (IT'S CANON DEAL WITH IT)
MGS GZ

Yes MattyG, join me. I'm not playing MG1 or 2, or Portable Ops, I beat Snake Eater, Peace Walker, and Ground Zeroes this Summer, now hopefully I can beat MGS 1, 2, and 4 by the time 5 comes out. I lost my save for one last night so idk!!

Never then?
5CzBvTC.png

who is that sexy mofo

i wouldn't necessarily say that MGS is rife with retcons (though most of big bosses backstory is), but i think that kojima makes each game as if it's his last, so he pulls no punches with storyline and reveals, etc. he basically paints himself into corners with each game and has to explain his way out of it, and some of that stuff is clearly, obviously written after the fact (as opposed to it all being some grand plan he had in mind). like zero being the big mastermind villain after being the mild-mannered james bond-loving bloke version of cambell. it is a valid criticism, and one that kojima has recognized. but i guess technically most of that stuff aren't retcons.

I see no retcons here? :D That's why it's a myth. Kojima writing as he goes should have nothing to do with retcons. And most of Big Boss' backstory are not retcons. Zero becoming corrupt is not a retcon. Many of the things you've said are typical sound bites handed down through the community. Kojima is the one who says he writes as he goes, and that truly is something he made up after the fact. MGS4 is said - by most - to be written because of fan reaction, yet he was making it straight after MGS3 before the fans could react. He still says it now...even though we know he's been planning these games since 2009, midway through making PW.

As I said three retcons at best. And one of them is never talked about.

I see no retcons here? :D That's why it's a myth. Kojima writing as he goes should have nothing to do with retcons. And most of Big Boss' backstory are not retcons. Zero becoming corrupt is not a retcon. Many of the things you've said are typical sound bites handed down through the community. Kojima is the one who says he writes as he goes, and that truly is something he made up after the fact. MGS4 is said - by most - to be written because of fan reaction, yet he was making it straight after MGS3 before the fans could react. He still says it now...even though we know he's been planning these games since 2009, midway through making PW.

As I said three retcons at best. And one of them is never talked about.

you're arguing semantics. the fact remains that there are narrative inconsistencies in the story due to how kojima writes them. call them retcons, don't call them retcons. doesn't matter

Where are these inconsistencies? I've been through this subject for years and it always ends with someone writing a list of things that aren't inconsistent.

Dawg

Where are these inconsistencies? I've been through this subject for years and it always ends with someone writing a list of things that aren't inconsistent.

I always felt like Kojima changed Ocelot's "Liquid arm". When it happened in MGS2, I'm pretty sure Kojima meant for it to be real. That Liquid was actually inside of the arm.

But then they changed it in Metal Gear Solid 4. Dunno. I always felt like the hypnosis thing was something Kojima came up with after MGS2. Maybe he decided having a person inside of an arm was too crazy, even for him. So he changed it.

I always felt like Kojima changed Ocelot's "Liquid arm". When it happened in MGS2, I'm pretty sure Kojima meant for it to be real. That Liquid was actually inside of the arm.

But then they changed it in Metal Gear Solid 4. Dunno. I always felt like the hypnosis thing was something Kojima came up with after MGS2. Maybe he decided having a person inside of an arm was too crazy, even for him. So he changed it.

This has to be my top most spoken about subject. It was real and nothing actually said it wasn't in MGS4. I'm VERY suspicious of MGS4. There's a lot of "show don't tell" (in amongst all the "telling" :D ). Vamp is the other one. He had scars all over his body, yet anyone who played it should know he shouldn't have any.

Skullface

:D lol

Sad as this sounds, the next time I'm sleeping is on thursday. Gonna be on all MGS sites and forums starting... Now.

Wish I could say the same. 40 hours at work, 12 hours at school, 12 hours of homework, 10 hours commute time. This is my weekly life until spring break.

Mifec

Wish I could say the same. 40 hours at work, 12 hours at school, 12 hours of homework, 10 hours commute time. This is my weekly life until spring break.

Man that sucks :/

I should be grateful that I don't have to work and that I'm done with school unless I decide to get a phd.

Mexen

zE4RiSo.jpg

Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday

Kojima's managed to keep very quiet about it if there is a trailer.

And no, a photo of his VO recording room from a different angle does not count as a trailer tease.

zE4RiSo.jpg

Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday
Wednesday

Delay
Delay
Delay
Delay
Delay
Delay
Delay
Delay
Delay
Delay
Delay
Delay
Delay
Delay
Delay

Salaadin

Kojima's managed to keep very quiet about it if there is a trailer.

And no, a photo of his VO recording room from a different angle does not count as a trailer tease.
I vaguely remember some tweets about him editing something and there was that one with him listing all the MGS vocal songs with a ??? At the end, implying that there was another

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom