• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'm #teamB, but Troy's hints and those vague tweets from Hayter ("Always have a secret", "The less you say the more powerful it is") make me think that maybe I chose the wrong team lol. We'll see in September :D

1628fs7c.gif

Skullface

what is he exactly..is he far left, far right?

religion, is he a theist or athiest/agnostic?

Big Boss strikes me as far right with his totalitarian way of thinking, circa MG2 anyway. But more importantly, I think he's a mad man motivated by personal events as opposed to politics.

As for religion, I'm pretty sure he's some kind of cynical secular type. He alludes to places like hell, and believes in Santa, so who knows.

Palpable

One thing I hope to see return (from MGS3) is our ability to affect separate outposts/fortresses. Being able to blow up Hinds, food storages, munitions, and first aid sheds was a gread little dynamic to add. Causing outlying outposts to suffer helicopter patrols & causing guards to become hungry and less aware was awesome. I hope that is added to in MGSV. Perhaps finding a small forward operating base with helicopters parked. Blowing those up would cause there to be lesser/no heli patrols around a nearby fortress if you ended up getting spotted or cutting the power. Same with munitions. Maybe a base up ahead will be filled with ill equipped guards if you blow up an armory in another base.

He's more than likely middle-right & I don't think religion matters to him. Whether he believes in a god or not, it's irrelevant. I'm sure you can file him under 'non-religious.'

Big Boss strikes me as far right with his totalitarian way of thinking, circa MG2 anyway. But more importantly, I think he's a mad man motivated by personal events as opposed to politics.

As for religion, I'm pretty sure he's some kind of cynical secular type. He alludes to places like hell, and believes in Santa, so who knows.

its a shame, Big Boss fall from grace

i believe Solid Snake was the true successor of The Boss and i believe Big Boss would probably agree with that

Skullface

i dont understand?

I played MGS, then later fan translations of MG1 and 2 via emulation before the year 2000. I always thought of Big Boss as some crazy, murderous, loon. Then we get MGS3. I've been waiting for Kojima to connect the dots for us.

Edit: is there some crazy avatar swapping going on here or am I just hallucinating from my fever?

I played MGS, then later fan translations of MG1 and 2 via emulation before the year 2000. I always thought of Big Boss as some crazy, murderous, loon. Then we get MGS3. I've been waiting for Kojima to connect the dots for us.

do you think alot of Big Boss downfall is caused by what he perceived The Boss did to him or was it his own failings

Skullface

do you think alot of Big Boss downfall is caused by what he perceived The Boss did to him or was it his own failings

The way I see it, it's mostly triggered by his desire for revenge. He has his underlying ideology, but he does some things that remove the barrier of what he's willing to do for a means to an end. Once you cross certain lines, as a human, you're compromised.

Edit: An example I could see would be him murdering children, and in his own fucked up perception of redemption, he starts raising war orphans just to have them fed into battle to die. This has nothing to do with the Boss, but it's a new tool in his arsenal
gear
to achieve his goals.

The way I see it, it's mostly triggered by his desire for revenge. He has his underlying ideology, but he does some things that remove the barrier of what he's willing to do for a means to an end. Once you cross certain lines, as a human, you're compromised.

Edit: An example I could see would be him murdering children, and in his own fucked up perception of redemption, he starts raising war orphans just to have them fed into battle to die. This has nothing to do with the Boss, but it's a new tool in his arsenal
gear
to achieve his goals.

there was something in peace walker which talks about why Big Boss felt the Boss betrayed him what was it again?

Rean

Rean faps in the shower confirmed.
I meant scrubbing off the blood manually. If you don't get it all off, it affects you. Maybe in combat, you have The Sorrow moments. :p
It'll probably just show the bathroom door or something while hes in the shower.

Skullface

It'll probably just show the bathroom door or something while hes in the shower.

Ok guys, I have to draw the line here. I hope it's nothing more than a text prompt with a fade to black.

Edit: do you think Big Boss is a Beatles fan? I plan on going beast mode with All You Need is Love playing in the background.

Edit 2: Happiness is a Warm Gun plays the very second I detect madness!

Skullface

Real quick guys, I'm picking up an XBone game before class. I'm sick as balls and my decision making is way compromised. Halp

Juicy Bob

She betrayed herself as a soldier because she laid down her gun.
Can I admit that I don't really get that as a motivating factor for both Big Boss and Zero to turn into monsters?

Like, surely that should've been an epiphany-provoking moment for them? "Oh, maybe The Boss is right? We should all stop fighting and maybe the world should be a better place?..."

I don't think he'd be a theist. Or at least he'd never believe in a god with any justice. If anything he's almost an anarchist and Zero is a dictator. Though Zero is only a dictator to unify people?
Real quick guys, I'm picking up an XBone game before class. I'm sick as balls and my decision making is way compromised. Halp

Ori and the Blind Forest? Idk, its the only exclusive I can think of that isn't old as balls now

Skullface

Can I admit that I don't really get that as a motivating factor for both Big Boss and Zero to turn into monsters?

Like, surely that should've been an epiphany-provoking moment for them? "Oh, maybe The Boss is right? We should all stop fighting and maybe the world should be a better place?..."

I agree. Like, wouldn't this be the moment Big Boss decides to say "fuck the Boss's will"?

I don't think he'd be a theist. Or at least he'd never believe in a god with any justice. If anything he's almost an anarchist and Zero is a dictator. Though Zero is only a dictator to unify people?

They're both dictators because they're both the central ruling figures in their vision.

Mexen

Perhaps we really do need to see a section or game where The Boss + Cobra Unit and Jack (at the time) are on the battle field. Don't misquote me, I include the cobra unit because the buddy system would be tremendous to see. I'm more concerned about the relationship between The Boss and Jack so that the motivation spoken of might be further understood/sealed.

That is a damn good question. Furthermore, is he compelled to respect the will of the people if the latter is true?

I'd almost see it as a grim responsibility now. At the end of Peace Walker it's kind of like he realized he's the only one with the conviction to make it happen. I mean, he wouldn't even take the title until he halts a nuclear strike by using his credibility to convince the President of the USA. Then he accepts what he has to be.

It's interesting. It seems like they all resent that authority, but are thrust in a position where they have to become what they hated.

Perhaps we really do need to see a section or game where The Boss + Cobra Unit and Jack (at the time) are on the battle field. Don't misquote me, I include the cobra unit because the buddy system would be tremendous to see. I'm more concerned about the relationship between The Boss and Jack so that the motivation spoken of might be further understood/sealed.

That'd be neat. Though I don't care at all about The Cobras besides The Joy and The Sorrow. They're way too G.I. Joe villain for me.

Mexen

I'd almost see it as a grim responsibility now. At the end of Peace Walker it's kind of like he realized he's the only one with the conviction to make it happen. I mean, he wouldn't even take the title until he halts a nuclear strike by using his credibility to convince the President of the USA. Then he accepts what he has to be.

It's interesting. It seems like they all resent that authority, but are thrust in a position where they have to become what they hated.

That'd be neat. Though I don't care at all about The Cobras besides The Joy and The Sorrow. They're way too G.I. Joe villain for me.

Lol, yeah. The Fury in particular is my least favourite. Actually anything to do with flamethrowing for me is a bit of a turn off (must be my life experiences).
Only Skrillex and Damon Marley motivated me in that Far Cry 3 mission.

For Big Boss, no, because Big Boss has always stated to have wanted a world where soldiers can continue fighting, plus Miller wants to continue using war as a business. Also, I think they've all given up on the idea of total peace in the end and at the end of Peace Walker they've made enough enemies that they couldn't stop fighting even if they wanted to.

Contrast to The Boss, who fought to try and bring peace between the countries and was willing to sacrifice herself and her reputation for that end, Big Boss doesn't want to abandon his comrades like she did and wants to always fight alongside his men in battle. I think this is why he is looked up to as such a charismatic leader, because they know that he will not turn them down.

I wonder. Does Big Boss want to lead? Or is it more that people are compelled to follow him.
He is definitely a leader because people need him to be, that is for sure. They barely touch on his actual leadership abilities though.

Skullface

so Big Boss is essentially the messiah for soldiers in the MGS universe

This has always been made clear by bosses etc we encounter. We're always told that Big Boss is bad, and secondary bad guys milk sympathy from us. The question is this; does big boss recognize and accept this position as "messiah"? He hated it when Zero tried to paint him this way.

KorrZ

But they Fury theme is soooo good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeqLNGAVqK4

Love the song in that battle.

When the music amps up in the second phase of the battle...so fucking good. Really, all the music in Snake Eater is incredible. I found myself just stopping to listen to the theme when I was in a Caution phase lol.

Fury was by far the hardest boss fight for me though at least an hours worth of attempts. I hate that fucker -_-

brau

When the music amps up in the second phase of the battle...so fucking good. Really, all the music in Snake Eater is incredible. I found myself just stopping to listen to the theme when I was in a Caution phase lol.

Fury was by far the hardest boss fight for me though at least an hours worth of attempts. I hate that fucker -_-

The music made it really epic. Thats for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom