• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy

Good morning, afternoon, evening and night, Metal Gear GAF. Just gonna bump an old image.

ceadba8e96eb2f84b8f011a03e62e87f.jpg
Cute.

R-User!

Preordered the Collectors guide!

To anyone that knows: what happens when you delete your game info on a PS4 for Ground Zeroes, and then download the free version for Playstation Plus?

Will you have to start everything from scratch, or will your digital copy of the game still see your save files on Sony's servers, and allow you to pick up where you left off?

In my case I 100%ed GZ, and I don't want to do that again.

Also, what about the code for the free unlock stuff in TPP? Will my code for the Physical version still work if be been playing the digital version? I figure yes, but I don't want to assume so.

Shy

To anyone that knows: what happens when you delete your game info on a PS4 for Ground Zeroes, and then download the free version for Playstation Plus?

Will you have to start everything from scratch, or will your digital copy of the game still see your save files on Sony's servers, and allow you to pick up where you left off?

In my case I 100%ed GZ, and I don't want to do that again.

Also, what about the code for the free unlock stuff in TPP? Will my code for the Physical version still work if be been playing the digital version? I figure yes, but I don't want to assume so.
I want to know all this stuff this too. someone send up the Tora signal.

Jb

Preordered the Collectors guide!

It doesn't seem like the saves are compatible.... :(
I got the physical copy of GZ when it came out and then downloaded the PS+ version last week, but none of my progress carried over.

I dunno about digital version <-> PS+ though, maybe it's a different story

Rajang

It doesn't seem like the saves are compatible.... :(
I got the physical copy of GZ when it came out and then downloaded the PS+ version last week, but none of my progress carried over.

I dunno about digital version <-> PS+ though, maybe it's a different story

I have the digital version of GZ and I can't download the PS Plus version, so I think the saves are compatible.

brau

Kotaku

I won&#8217;t dig into the story here&#8212;partially because I don&#8217;t want to spoil it and partially because it&#8217;s incomprehensible&#8212;but I will give you a quick look at some of the notes I jotted down during my two hours with Metal Gear Solid V.

At least the first few hours of the game all take place in Afghanistan, with a brief sojourn at Mother Base (newly rebuilt after the events of Ground Zeroes). The Afghanistan map is huge, full of cities and bases and faceless enemy soldiers to punch.

The structure is smart: every time you get on your helicopter (which you can call via Snake&#8217;s nifty &#8220;iDroid&#8221; device), you can pick your next task, whether that&#8217;s a main story mission or a side-operation. After the first couple of story missions, you get to do the next three in any order you choose.

Some of the early missions are very similar to the two core tasks in Ground Zeroes. In the first mission, which was showcased in that great E3 2013 trailer, Snake has to go rescue Kaz Miller, which means you have to scout, hunt for intel to figure out where Kaz is being kept, and then carry him over Snake&#8217;s shoulder while rushing to the helicopter to be extracted back to base.

Not long after the rescue in that first mission, Snake and Kaz are attacked by a supernatural group of soldiers called the Skulls, who are abnormally quick at moving and shooting, because nanomachines I guess? (In case you were worried that this wasn&#8217;t a Metal Gear game.)

Soon after this, you get to go see your new Mother Base, which is really cool. You can recruit enemy soldiers and brainwash them into joining you; you can develop and build weapons and gadgets; and you can assign your staff to do various tasks at the base. I didn&#8217;t have nearly enough time to really dig into this, but from what I can tell, it&#8217;s like a deeper version of Peace Walker&#8217;s Mother Base system.

To recruit new staff, you have to knock out enemies&#8212;or animals&#8212;and then attach a Fulton recovery device to parachute them to base.

An anecdote: at one point, I accepted a mission to go assassinate a dude in a military base. Once I got into the field, I realized my weapon loadout wasn&#8217;t great, so I poked around in the Mother Base menu and assigned some staff to develop a sniper rifle, then had them deliver it to me via Fulton airlift. I cracked open the box, grabbed the rifle, and immediately took out my target. It was&#8230; liberating.

Kojima and crew describe this as an open-world game, which is only sort of true. The big chunk of Afghanistan I explored definitely feels like an open world&#8212;and you can wander in any direction&#8212;but the game is structured so that you&#8217;ll only sneak through one base or set of bases at any given time. Leaving a mission&#8217;s defined borders will cause you to abort the mission. (Not that I&#8217;m complaining: This structure is smartly designed, from what I&#8217;ve seen so far.)

At the beginning of the game, Snake has forgotten his foreign languages, so you&#8217;ll have to go recruit a translator if you want to be able to interrogate enemy soldiers properly. This is one of the first side-ops in the game. I assume there will be many.

Kiefer Sutherland is not very chatty. Guess he was expensive.

As you might expect from a Kojima game, there are a lot of easter eggs and fun little details throughout MGSV. If you shoot Ocelot with a tranq gun at Mother Base, he gets woozy and says &#8220;La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo.&#8221;

Like Peace Walker before this, you can play as other characters during some side-ops&#8212;at the start of each mission, you pick a loadout, which includes main character, gear, and whatever buddy you&#8217;d like to take along for that given mission.

Buddies include a horse, a dog, and the sniper Quiet, who I didn&#8217;t get to meet during my time with the game. Presumably there will be other soldier buddies, too.

Snake can lean to either side of the horse in order to dodge enemies while riding, which seems like a dangerous misuse of physics.

There&#8217;s a cardboard box, of course.

&#8220;Cipher sent us to hell&#8230; but we&#8217;re going even deeper. Take back everything we lost.&#8221;

&#8220;KAZ. I&#8217;M ALREADY A DEMON.&#8221;

PC Gamer

It&#8217;s largely new territory for the series, and for the first time it feels as though Kojima has allowed himself to be influenced by other games. Sending recruits off to complete global missions in the menus has the fingerprints of Assassin&#8217;s Creed all over it, while the ability to pick and choose the order of story mission batches in the open world is Grand Theft Auto-like. But Metal Gear Solid has always celebrated player choice, and that&#8217;s what these extra layers represent: more control over how your adventure unfolds, and more say in how you best evolve your play style.

Those seeking the classic Metal Gear experience should know The Phantom Pain doesn&#8217;t disappoint when it comes to corner-hiding, throat-stabbing espionage&#8212;but to play it in this manner requires some extreme restraint when the game is urging you to experiment with all it has to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom