• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.
28-fingers-in-ears.jpg

lol

I'm in a bit of a dilemma actually.. I want to go on a media blackout for this game because I don't wanna accidentally read any big spoilers like the one above (haven't read it), but this community is pretty damn cool.

Team Gray Fox was right.

Oh no you didn't. Please tell me your comment is unrelated..

Houndi101

* Spoiler about the very beginning of the game *

Apparently you can completely customize Big Boss' face

Shieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

But what does it mean?!

Canaverro confirmed

Okay lol I'm gonna have to limit my time on here because I'm terrified of spoilers.

The HUGE MGS4 one I didn't catch, but I did read that
Snake was going to kill himself in the end
. My heart can't take any more :p

Regarding Brazil's big spoiler:

Perhaps it's not a spoiler regarding Big Boss's identity or the general story but one of Kojima's fourth wall breaking shenanigans? He did promise something crazy in interviews "that can only be done in videogames" and he's always referred to that moment in MGS2 with the player's name on the dog tag as being one of his favourite moments. Perhaps it is something where Kojima attempts to have the player puts themselves in the game to prepare for some moment later on? Surely you don't play the whole game with the customized appearance because we've seen him in his default state in too many screenshots.

Edit: seems I could be right because he said this

Just assume it's NOT changed in the final build as he's assuming.

Edit 2:

holy crap... nevermind he said this

It is. The customizable faces wasn't complete in our build. But they made it pretty clear that Snake's face had changed - even in dialogue.

Not liking this at all :(

Which source?

Mexen

Choose the colour of your shrapnel. Adjust your teeth, reshape scars and more.But forget about seeing all your handiwork in the single player campaign... well until
the end of the game

Regarding SPOILER: Thanks. I trust in Kojima's judgement regarding this feature, he will probably have enabled it for a specifc reason, right?

Pre-MGO feature. Do it once and forget, maybe?

Choose the colour of your shrapnel. Adjust your teeth, reshape scars and more.But forget about seeing all your handiwork in the single player campaign... well until
the end of the game

Pre-MGO feature. Do it once and forget, maybe?

Could definitely be an option.

I'm not reading any spoilers, but is this a bad thing or a good thing that you wish you hadn't read it?

I wouldn't call it bad or good on its own, it's just a surprising story related feature which they might have wanted keeping under wraps. I could say more but it's safer not to!

OldLogos

Banned
Originally Posted by OldLogos

Brazil, one technical question: Has the awkward animation where Big Boss stands up in mid air when you try to dive off of a raised surface onto something lower been fixed?

Brazil

It still kinda happens. Specially when you're mounted.

Man, fuck this game. I'm out.

When you're mounted by what?

Huh I thought the exiting vehicle and getting off horse animations looked good, but maybe they look weird if you get out onto lower ground.

OldLogos

Banned
When you're mounted by what?

Huh I thought the getting exiting vehicle and getting off horse animations looked good, but maybe they look weird if you get out onto lower ground.

I think you can dive off the horse when you're riding it, and i assume he means you magically readjust mid-air like BB does in GZ.

also:

Gamespot
For some unexplained reason, The Phantom Pain abandons the use of the codec, a video calling device used in pretty much every Metal Gear game. You can ping Mother Base to gain some light intel, but the only way to recreate the odd, sprawling conversations that used to take place during codec calls is by listening to cassettes of conversations between Big Boss, Ocelot, and Master Miller.

I gave MGS4 a ton of shit when it launched for what i felt was a botched codec system, and I'm not sure how to feel about this. On the one hand, I thought the cassettes in GZ were some of the best pieces of audio drama in gaming history; on the other hand I'm kind of pissed i won't be able to have a dedicated person to explain every bit of flora and fauna to me. How do y'all feel about this?

I wouldn't be surprised if you can find a unique character that leads to a collection of tapes about all the animals in your zoo, there might be a lot of optional stuff like that. It could be Ocelot doing that though.

Mexen

I'm gonna think about nothing else for the next couple of days or so.
I never asked for this. But I did. I read the previews.

Kazuhira

It seems i dodged a bullet by not clicking on those spoilers tags.
I think the hospital part is going to be one of the best moments of the game.

Salaadin

I gave MGS4 a ton of shit when it launched for what i felt was a botched codec system, and I'm not sure how to feel about this. On the one hand, I thought the cassettes in GZ were some of the best pieces of audio drama in gaming history; on the other hand I'm kind of pissed i won't be able to have a dedicated person to explain every bit of flora and fauna to me. How do y'all feel about this?

I think codec is outdated in today's gaming world. Even more in an open world game.
It was hard to make excuses for their inclusion as far back as mgs2. Today, it's even harder.

Cassette tapes practically do the same thing as the codec...just differently. And I personally find them more interesting to listen to and you can still play the game while listening to them.

Roldan

So, uh...

I thought I would get up today and check GAF melting about the previews, but... that doesn't seem to be the case lol

Did the PS/Xbox magazine already said most of what was in the previews?

(and yes, I know about that thing Brazil mentioned)

Mexen

I think codec is outdated in today's gaming world. Even more in an open world game.
It was hard to make excuses for their inclusion as far back as mgs2. Today, it's even harder.

Cassette tapes practically do the same thing as the codec...just differently. And I personally find them more interesting to listen to and you can still play the game while listening to them.

Yup.

brau

So, uh...

I thought I would get up today and check GAF melting about the previews, but... that doesn't seem to be the case lol

Did the PS/Xbox magazine already said most of what was in the previews?

(and yes, I know about that thing Brazil mentioned)

image.php

Houndi101

A finnish previewer complains about lack of variety in side missions and the zones, the firefights are still not good (he thinks one should "just stick to the sneaking"), also apparently the game had alot of bugs and his hunch is Kojima and team don't have enough time to fix them all especially in a sandbox game.

Other than that he seems quite hyped.

Diamond Dogs by David Bowie is also confirmed.

Apparently, music will play a vital role in "Phantom Pain," which is set in the 1980s. That's evidenced by tunes from such artists as Billy Idol and A-Ha pumping out from boom boxes tucked within bases. Snake can also create his own retro mixtapes. What better way to prepare for combat than to blast David Bowie's "Diamond Dogs" on the helicopter ride into battle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom