• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrS

Banned
Anybody know if the Collector's Edition Piggyback guide will be getting a UK release and where I can get it from/pre-order if so?

Mexen

Personally I'm don't think this lends ANY credibility to the head transplant/BB is Grey Fox theories for one reason: Kojima has stated multiple times that he's been trying to do something different with Snake this game, namely make it more of an avatar for the player than a character himself.

Kojima's choice to use Kiefer and the lack of Snake's dialog was because of this. By acting with one's face instead of one's words you close the sort of vicarious divide between the player and protagonist.

Changing your face at the beginning of the game (i imagine you're only able to slightly - different nose, different scars, bigger/smaller eyes - so no Dark Souls esque monsters) is perfectly in line with his intentions to allow the player to better become snake and, to me, seems like the best explanation for this feature.

I've started to lean more towards differentiating/masking one's appearance during MB invasions as the reason for customisation. You've also brought up some interesting points. Cheers!

They are but we already got the gist of it when they were able to tweet out about it at the preview event. Again we got most of the info from the magazines. They aren't allowed to talk about story spoilers so we pretty much know all of the gameplay at this point.

After only 12 hours, I certainly hope not. But you're probably right.

Everytime I see the name Brazil I think it says Batzi, lol

Lol, me too.

OldLogos

Banned
I've started to lean more towards differentiating/masking one's appearance during MB invasions as the reason for customisation.

I don't buy this explanation because when we're invading other FOBs, we're already fucking with the diegesis and creating a Time Paradox by having two Big Bosses - how would being able to alter Big Boss' face mitigate this?

"Boss! Come in! Boss is invading your FOB to bring resources back to his FOB. Boss you've got to stop Big Boss!"

What's much more likely to happen is the way it was done in PW: in your game the other player's Big Boss becomes just some random soldier working for another faction.

$.02

Edit: Just saw the reddit comment you posted saying Brazil had it confused - that it was the MGO avatar. Interesting. I think your theory works better here because maybe there's a game mode in MGO where multiple people can play BB.

Mexen

I don't buy this explanation because when we're invading other FOBs, we're already fucking with the diegesis and creating a Time Paradox by having two Big Bosses - how would being able to alter Big Boss' face mitigate this?

"Boss! Come in! Boss is invading your FOB to bring resources back to his FOB. Boss you've got to stop Big Boss!"

What's much more likely to happen is the way it was done in PW: in your game the other player's Big Boss becomes just some random soldier working for another faction.

$.02

Edit: Just saw the reddit comment you posted saying Brazil had it confused - that it was the MGO avatar. Interesting. I think your theory works better here because maybe there's a game mode in MGO where multiple people can play BB.

Yes, makes sense. I was thinking that if indeed you can invade another player's MB as Big Boss and that player returns to base to help defend it, the game only recognises one Big Boss on either party. So say I attack you, you get a message saying, "Boss, we are under attack. Enemy unknown, return to base." Whereas I'd get a message saying, "Boss, intel reveals a base offshore at the following coordinates... Infiltrate and retrieve X." And should we face off, we see our customised versions of Big Boss. It's a stretch and in reality we both know it's MB we are attacking but we cannot identify each other's Big Boss by sight alone, until you ,say, realise that one enemy seems to be more formidable. Basically, your copy of TPP acknowledges only you as Big Boss and treats everyone else as just another guy, hence the need to physically differentiate.
EDIT reply: Yeah, that's a given. Actually led to my conclusion.

Vally

Finally we can post the pictures since they're not scans anymore

mgstpp_preview_01_web.jpg
mgstpp_preview_02_web.jpg
mgstpp_preview_03_web.jpg
mgstpp_preview_04_web.jpg
mgstpp_preview_05_web.jpg
mgstpp_preview_06_web.jpg
mgstpp_preview_07_web.jpg
mgstpp_preview_08_web.jpg
mgstpp_preview_09_web.jpg
mgstpp_preview_10_web.jpg

Forgive me as I haven't been following the recent previews for fear of spoilers, but, is it true that cutscenes will be brief and most of the story will be provided through tapes? I am not a big fan of that if true...

Kindekuma

Banned
Some dude on FacePunch is claiming his friend said that "MGSV is a pretty bad game full of cliches" and whatnot. But the thing is all his details is something we already knew (just put a negative spin on it) or outright said a lie about a detail.

SMH.

Mexen

Forgive me as I haven't been following the recent previews for fear of spoilers, but, is it true that cutscenes will be brief and most of the story will be provided through tapes? I am not a big fan of that if true...

That seems to be the case from the what has been played so far.

Solidino

about the spoiler on
BB face...

This is not Skyrim, or an rpg where we can be anything we want to be, this is the story of BB not our story.

Houndi101

Well aslong as the non-paid versions of upgrading the Motherbase aren't absurdly long there's no need to use cash
Or maybe it's MGO experience boosts etc?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Here we go, etc.

Frankly though, it has a multiplayer component and it's 2015. I'm not at all surprised and will cautiously hope that's all that's going on here.

NuttSack

So are the microtransactions multiplayer paraphernalia/skins or packs like in MGO 2 or are they single player related? This doesn't inspire me confidence :
[...] when you are expanding your base, you generally assign labors to a team. You can even send groups of soldiers to complete simple missions by paying them.Up until now, all is good. The problem is that once i requested an operation that would last, say 4 hours, and I noticed an option to finish it immediately. After selecting it I got an error message that indicated that certain options were not available without PSN access.
http://metal-gear.net/2015/06/09/micro-transactions-found-in-mgsv/

DOWN

Banned
lol chill y'all. maybe they'll be pretty unnecessary like AC Unity's. It isn't hard to earn the in game gear stuff without micro transactions.

brau

Finally we can post the pictures since they're not scans anymore

You know what bothers me in some of these pics? The low poly geometry in some organic stuff. All because the game needs to run on older gen. ugh. Not a big deal, but still.. they kinda stand out.

Mexen

You know what bothers me in some of these pics? The low poly geometry in some organic stuff. All because the game needs to run on older gen. ugh. Not a big deal, but still.. they kinda stand out.

Mods will fix it. LOL

Just finished MGS 3 for the first time.

Okay, I teared up a little at the end.

Bloody great game.

Great stuff. What were some of your favourite moments in the game?

SyberWolf

But it can mean that they ramp up the lenghts for non-paying customers alot, that's how "f2p" usually works

Edit: But Mods will fix that too

i hope not.
i hope its just for cosmetic stuff in MGO.
if there is pay 2 win ill probably not bother with the multiplayer / MB invasion stuff.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
2015-06-1016_33_41-pyugusi.png

Look at those retweets and favorites. The hype is real.

2015-06-1016_34_09-on5fu40.png

For those who don't know, Mr. Otsuka is the voice actor of Big Boss in the japanese version.

So yeah looks like we'll get a KOJIMA DIRECTED E3 TRAILER, HYPE!!!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I hope the trailer leaks early again.

I hope not, I want that magic moment when it's revealed for the first time ever on a press conference.

Sadly that moment wasn't there last year because the trailer got leaked early :/...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom