• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
i see you giving me no props sn4ke
leuhkikcskn4.gif

Oh sorry, THANK YOU Ryan for letting us know on gram. ;)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
IP:

"Any real world brand weapons, or are they still using the unlicensed weapons like the "Type 67 Rifle" in Ground Zeroes?"

Weapons are currently unlicensed, though we were told that weapon names weren't final in our build. Weirdly, the game does feature real world sunglasses – when characters appear their make of glasses flashes up on the screen. A typically bizarro Kojima touch.

Some very interesting questions.

"Are the cut scenes 14 hours long like in MGS4?"

No, and this was a big surprise. The opening prologue begins with the lengthiest cutscene I saw in the my 15 hours with the game, but after that the cutscenes tend to only appear at really key story moments. I've seen some of our readers worry that this removes a big chunk of the magic, but it really doesn't. 1) When the cutscenes do happen they feel really special, and 2) When the cutscenes do happen they are always pretty awesome and packed with fan-service.

http://www.gamesradar.com/your-metal-gear-solid-5-questions-answered/

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
lol chill y'all. maybe they'll be pretty unnecessary like AC Unity's. It isn't hard to earn the in game gear stuff without micro transactions.

It still bugs me to have a "Just make this quicker, just $2.99!" Buy better soldiers, just $9.99!" pop up on my Metal Gear games, which for the most part were inmune to shit like this. I'm 100% this is all on Konami, but even then I feel dissapointed, unless it's just for MGO.

Embearded

I just got this today
XmKN9eSl.jpg

Looks nice! I have to get one too!

Jumping back in the thread after almost a week. I have to say guys, i don't know how i feel about the latest news...

I hope i don't have to pay 2.99€ for 5 minutes of cutscenes Konami...

Error1355

I hope it's just microtransactions on silly things like the Extra Ops and nothing else.

Also if it came down to Konami letting Kojima do more crazy things or have more time to make the game if he promised to have microtransactions in some aspect, I'd be fine with that compromise.

Since no one at the preview weekend was able to actually use microtransactions and no one seemed to be upset with the way the game played, I don't think this will be a problem.

Houndi101

Since no one at the preview weekend was able to actually use microtransactions and no one seemed to be upset with the way the game played, I don't think this will be a problem.

Don't want to be a doomsayer but this stuff usually gets decided on release, what costs what etc.
For example the Playstation Now prices aren't set in stone because of beta.

Error1355

Don't want to be a doomsayer but this stuff usually gets decided on release, what costs what etc.
For example the Playstation Now prices aren't set in stone because of beta.

Though the only time someone mentioned this even being part of the game was during the Extra Ops. I don't think it'll actually be part of the main game based that. I can't imagine they would just shoehorn in extra places to put in in the next few months.

I don't know if I even want to watch the trailer... I don't want any more spoilers...

Who am I kidding tho. I'll be watching the trailer all the way till September, especially if its A Hideo Kojima Trailer (TM)

Kindekuma

Banned
Looks nice! I have to get one too!

Jumping back in the thread after almost a week. I have to say guys, i don't know how i feel about the latest news...

I hope i don't have to pay 2.99€ for 5 minutes of cutscenes Konami...

It's for MGO3, Kojima would never have a paywall for single player content. You can pay $.99 for a weapon skin or helmet, everyone is taking this way out of proportion.

It's for MGO3, Kojima would never have a paywall for single player content. You can pay $.99 for a weapon skin or helmet, everyone is taking this way out of proportion.

Didn't a journalist say yesterday that next to the R&D stuff there was a complete it instantly button next to the countdown timer for when the item would be researched?

Error1355

I don't know if I even want to watch the trailer... I don't want any more spoilers...

Who am I kidding tho. I'll be watching the trailer all the way till September, especially if its A Hideo Kojima Trailer (TM)

Yeah, I don't want any spoilers at all but I couldn't help but hover over some of the spoiler tags on the previous pages.

I'm my own worst enemy.

Mexen

I hope it's just microtransactions on silly things like the Extra Ops and nothing else.

Also if it came down to Konami letting Kojima do more crazy things or have more time to make the game if he promised to have microtransactions in some aspect, I'd be fine with that compromise.

That Russian dude though. As long as they are truly optional, I'm down! Not Konami optional like "well, you could blow up that shit up withC4, but with a $5 purchase of this Nikita (buy now in matte black), you'll definitely blow that shit up! But Good luck!" You know? If the micro trans don't deter gameplay without the need for 'em then I'm good too!

Edit: fucking mobile.

I'm not happy about the prospect of microtransactions in the game.

I'm not too happy about it either. I think that anything that will speed-up, enhance or improve certain things without a real free in-game counterpart will detract from the game itself.

Houndi101

Considering how good Kojima (and spoiler-free (compared to other trailers) but theory heavy) trailers are I would feel like you're missing out on the fun if you don't watch it

Ryan_MSF

unless of course we see a final release trailer this will be the very last hideo kojima metal gear solid trailer we'll ever see.... mix of both excitement and sadness feels happening right now.

cryingotacon.jpg

Vagrant

So I've been reading the impressions of MGS5 and arguments and concerns about it. People saying this isn't MGS, etc. Same with Peace Walker or Ground Zeroes. And it illustrated something I've felt for awhile. That there's a spectrum that MGS fans tend to end up on due to the nature of the games. A dichotomy in the fans unique to the series due to the uniqueness of the games themselves. One extreme of the spectrum are MGS fans that love the story/cutscenes/codec and feel the gameplay is just the thing they do to get to more cutscenes. On the other extreme is the set that really love the gameplay and see the cutscenes as something they have to get through or skip in order to see the next neat sandbox area/boss. And people can end up on one side or the other and all places in between.

I've always really liked the crazy cutscenes and story, but I've always been decidedly closer to the side of the spectrum that is in it for the gameplay. This sounds strange to the people on the other side because they're like "what gameplay?", which is a valid viewpoint. If you aren't immersing yourself in the gameplay of the series you can rush straight through with only a shallow dip into the gameplay pool for most of the games. I've experienced this myself when I've seen other people play through the games and rush through the gameplay segments, maybe trying to be stealthy but mostly just rushing from area to area, possibly on a lower difficulty setting. That's a totally valid experience, because the games allow that level of participation. Most of the gameplay depth is, or was, optional.

That said, for me these games have always been amazing sandboxes. My first taste of the series came with a MGS1 demo disc. What made me instantly fall for the game was the gameplay in that small two room section. Sure, I was impressed with the production quality of the cutscenes, the way the music came in as snake peeked his head out of water as the credits played, or the the motion blur and sound as the Hind took off, but that wasn't what hooked me. It was playing with guard AI, the shock of getting seen and gunned down while I fumbled the controller from the shock of placid silence being wrenched to a extremely loud commotion. Discovering I could throw a chaff and the guard would go see what it was, or messing with the box. That continued into the game proper with the bosses and gadgets you get, fucking with the guard pissing, punching Meryl to see what would happen, etc. The game rewarded all that experimentation with reactions and "easter eggs". Further, going through without being seen was really rewarding for me. Doing so without killing them was further rewarded with a neat little ranking. The VR missions came and further cemented my love for the gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNnoXFNlt-g

When the MGS2 demo came out and took all of that to the next level, I was in heaven. The ways you could play that demo and things you could see were so varied. It's intimidating to think about even writing them all up. Also, it was even more fun to stealth past these new soldiers with new idiosyncrasies. However, when the final game was released the level design in the Plant chapter seemed like it was lacking. So many straight corridors, and tranqing guards seemed the defacto method for continuing. There was less in the way of approaching guards in many areas without just resorting to tranq spam. Hanging or box, top or bottom catwalk. Plus, the cutscenes and codec were relentless. Bosses few and far between. Some not really allowing the experimentation of the previous game (Fortune). I was left slightly disappointed with the game initially. I liked the story and crazy cool meta touches, but I wasn't as engaged in it as I could've been if the underlying gameplay was more frequent or sandbox friendly. But I think the people on the story first side of the spectrum loved the hell out of it because that wasn't an issue. For me, I came around when I played it again with Subsistence and it's added missions.

MGS3 seemed to swing things back the other way in a major way. Yes, the beginning areas were heavy with cutscenes and codecs, but the game opened up quickly. And I was more engaged in those initial setup scenes, and subsequent ones, because they were surrounding gameplay I loved. The open areas, new gadgets, excellent and varied scenario design. Numerous enemies and bosses, all of which were brimming with ways to experiment with. And the game rewarded all of that experimentation, with "easter eggs". But to me, they weren't just just easter eggs, that's short selling them, they were the world reacting to my agency as a player and encouraging me to experiment even more. The way a player with shallow interest in the gameplay of MGS3 plays the game and the way a player with a interest and experience in it plays it is night and day. Not just in rankings, look at this extreme example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWPpEBXMC_E

Contrast that to an average player. They'll never see that, probably not know it's possible, and wouldn't be interested even if they could. But even for players not as well versed in breaking that game like that (like me), there's a ton of things to see and do if you dive into that gameplay pool. Although even with MGS3, my favorite in the series, there was so much to do in most areas my play style was to save at the beginning of the area, and then clear the "room" multiple ways. Maybe I'm a weirdo, but it was really fun for me. Maybe I'd run around throwing snakes at people, systematically kill and torture each guard in some interesting (to me) way. Maybe sneak behind a couple guards patrolling, grab the one in back, shoot the other one, right before slitting a throat? Or snipe, use some new gadget and see how the AI reacts. Or just jump on a gun emplacement and shiftlessly kill everyone. After I exhausted these options, I'd load my save, use what I learned to clear the area with the most interesting paths, cqc, gadgets I could think of. And without using the tranq gun or killing. I'd repeat that in each area and it was incredibly satisfying. Obviously that wouldn't be fun for everyone, especially with the controls, but for players that loved the sandbox and gameplay loops it was really great. I saw a no tranq challenge by SuperBunnyhop and it was great to see someone else was a weirdo like me that got something out of these weird self-imposed challenges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dQtmchHWaM (This is a great place to start throwing poison scorpions or snakes btw, doesn't even count as a kill if they get poisoned while distracted)

The thing is these challenges had to be self imposed, and I had to reload to do them because of the nature of the scenario and level design in the adventure didn't lend itself to that gameplay. Or you needed those VR mission expansions to experience more places to play with it. With Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes, and now almost assuredly Phantom Pain, that type of sandbox gameplay is finally built right in. Replaying areas (by marking them off as missions) is encouraged and rewarded. And allow you to try all these different play styles without constantly reloading your save or having your rank tanked. You can go loud and kill everyone on the same save as one where you get through as an unseen ghost. Further, The extra sideops missions in PW, that some didn't care for, have always been in the series, as VR missions, but now are built right in! No need to wait for a a expansion 6 months later, or to have them artificially separated from gameplay and story in abstractions of enviroments. They're right in the box and they're the reason me and others put 20+ hours into GZ and felt great doing so. In addition, the controls and gameplay balance in GZ/PP are now such that places where the gameplay lacked in previous games, is fixed. Gone is needing to handicap yourself to avoid overpowered tranq guns, as is the artificial difficulty of overly complicated moves. For example, throwing empty magazines was always potentially a useful gameplay mechanic, but was hampered by limited supply or poor controls. Did you like the throwing objects gameplay of MGS2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_2572nqdiw
whatswrongwithyou.gif

But now that's all fixed, and been streamlined to make throwing magazines and other objects an effective alternative to guns. And it's like that for most of the sandbox in the new one. The tranq gun has bullet drop, more limited ammo, and guards are more likely to wear helmets and wake up sooner. C4 has always been in MGS, but places to use it in actual gameplay other than fucking around? Few and far between. Now in GZ it's actually useful, even when sneaking. Place a C4 in an out of the way place or empty guard tower, detonate it when an enemy is suspicious or onto you. Bam, guards go to that far away place and check out the detonation, alerted yes, but not to you because the AI is now good enough to be alerted to something other than just Snake.

For the player on the gameplay first side of the spectrum, these adjustments make the GZ, and seemingly PP, the MGS they've always wanted. For the players that were primarily in it for story, it's entirely understandable they are disappointed the way this one is going. Just as I was disappointed by the MGS2 and MGS4 past chapter 2. But it's annoying to hear people say "this isn't MGS." Jeff Gerstmann went so far as to say he would feel better about the game if it didn't have the number 5 after it, because it isn't his MGS. I don't get that, because it is MGS, just maybe not the part he likes.

Metal Gear has always been a series of contradictions. It's serious and preachy, but it's stupid and absurdist goofball comedy. It's about never being seen and not killing, but it's about killing everything with a huge array of weapons the game gushes about. It's all about the player passively watching/listening to cool cutscenes and funny/interesting audio conversations, but it's also all about the meticulously designed gameplay sandbox filled to the brim with world interaction that responds to player experimentation to an insane degree. That's the beauty of the series, it's all of that, and you take what you want from it. Sometimes there isn't enough of the part you want, gameplay in MGS4 after chapter 2, bosses in PW and MGS2, and now story in GZ and PP. But that's fine, it's good the series plays with which of these things is in focus, and pleasing everyone is a fools errand. At it's best, the part you like about it makes you more interested in the part you aren't. But it's all in there and it's all MGS. This new one will still have the story, with crazy things going on, but now you're going to be thrown the gameplay ocean and have to swim longer to get to them. Giving the player more freedom and interaction with the sandbox via mission based gameplay has led to less cutscenes as a side effect. It's what I always wanted, and why based on GZ and demonstrations it's set to be my favorite MGS ever. But yeah, my sympathies to those that will hate this game. I think reviews and fans split at an increasing rate on Phantom Pain. I think that's great and fine. I hope overzealous fans on my side of the spectrum don't slam those that dislike this one. Some fans not liking this one is going to happen, it isn't what they wanted. On the other hand, I hope those on the cutscene side of the spectrum don't deny it's Metal Gear just because it emphasizes the gameplay aspects always present in the series.

Edit: was originally going to post that as a new thread, but maybe works better here? Dunno

So I've been reading the impressions of MGS5 and arguments and concerns about it. People saying this isn't MGS, etc. Same with Peace Walker or Ground Zeroes. And it illustrated something I've felt for awhile. That there's a spectrum that MGS fans tend to end up on due to the nature of the games. A dichotomy in the fans unique to the series due to the uniqueness of the games themselves. One extreme of the spectrum are MGS fans that love the story/cutscenes/codec and feel the gameplay is just the thing they do to get to more cutscenes. On the other extreme is the set that really love the gameplay and see the cutscenes as something they have to get through or skip in order to see the next neat sandbox area/boss. And people can end up on one side or the other and all places in between.

I've always really liked the crazy cutscenes and story, but I've always been decidedly closer to the side of the spectrum that is in it for the gameplay. This sounds strange to the people on the other side because they're like "what gameplay?", which is a valid viewpoint. If you aren't immersing yourself in the gameplay of the series you can rush straight through with only a shallow dip into the gameplay pool for most of the games. I've experienced this myself when I've seen other people play through the games and rush through the gameplay segments, maybe trying to be stealthy but mostly just rushing from area to area, possibly on a lower difficulty setting. That's a totally valid experience, because the games allow that level of participation. Most of the gameplay depth is, or was, optional.

That said, for me these games have always been amazing sandboxes. My first taste of the series came with a MGS1 demo disc. What made me instantly fall for the game was the gameplay in that small two room section. Sure, I was impressed with the production quality of the cutscenes, the way the music came in as snake peeked his head out of water as the credits played, or the the motion blur and sound as the Hind took off, but that wasn't what hooked me. It was playing with guard AI, the shock of getting seen and gunned down while I fumbled the controller from the shock of placid silence being wrenched to a extremely loud commotion. Discovering I could throw a chaff and the guard would go see what it was, or messing with the box. That continued into the game proper with the bosses and gadgets you get, fucking with the guard pissing, punching Meryl to see what would happen, etc. The game rewarded all that experimentation with reactions and "easter eggs". Further, going through without being seen was really rewarding for me. Doing so without killing them was further rewarded with a neat little ranking. The VR missions came and further cemented my love for the gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNnoXFNlt-g

When the MGS2 demo came out and took all of that to the next level, I was in heaven. The ways you could play that demo and things you could see were so varied. It's intimidating to think about even writing them all up. Also, it was even more fun to stealth past these new soldiers with new idiosyncrasies. However, when the final game was released the level design in the Plant chapter seemed like it was lacking. So many straight corridors, and tranqing guards seemed the defacto method for continuing. There was less in the way of approaching guards in many areas without just resorting to tranq spam. Hanging or box, top or bottom catwalk. Plus, the cutscenes and codec were relentless. Bosses few and far between. Some not really allowing the experimentation of the previous game (Fortune). I was left slightly disappointed with the game initially. I liked the story and crazy cool meta touches, but I wasn't as engaged in it as I could've been if the underlying gameplay was more frequent or sandbox friendly. But I think the people on the story first side of the spectrum loved the hell out of it because that wasn't an issue. For me, I came around when I played it again with Subsistence and it's added missions.

MGS3 seemed to swing things back the other way in a major way. Yes, the beginning areas were heavy with cutscenes and codecs, but the game opened up quickly. And I was more engaged in those initial setup scenes, and subsequent ones, because they were surrounding gameplay I loved. The open areas, new gadgets, excellent and varied scenario design. Numerous enemies and bosses, all of which were brimming with ways to experiment with. And the game rewarded all of that experimentation, with "easter eggs". But to me, they weren't just just easter eggs, that's short selling them, they were the world reacting to my agency as a player and encouraging me to experiment even more. The way a player with shallow interest in the gameplay of MGS3 plays the game and the way a player with a interest and experience in it plays it is night and day. Not just in rankings, look at this extreme example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWPpEBXMC_E

Contrast that to an average player. They'll never see that, probably not know it's possible, and wouldn't be interested even if they could. But even for players not as well versed in breaking that game like that (like me), there's a ton of things to see and do if you dive into that gameplay pool. Although even with MGS3, my favorite in the series, there was so much to do in most areas my play style was to save at the beginning of the area, and then clear the "room" multiple ways. Maybe I'm a weirdo, but it was really fun for me. Maybe I'd run around throwing snakes at people, systematically kill and torture each guard in some interesting (to me) way. Maybe sneak behind a couple guards patrolling, grab the one in back, shoot the other one, right before slitting a throat? Or snipe, use some new gadget and see how the AI reacts. Or just jump on a gun emplacement and shiftlessly kill everyone. After I exhausted these options, I'd load my save, use what I learned to clear the area with the most interesting paths, cqc, gadgets I could think of. And without using the tranq gun or killing. I'd repeat that in each area and it was incredibly satisfying. Obviously that wouldn't be fun for everyone, especially with the controls, but for players that loved the sandbox and gameplay loops it was really great. I saw a no tranq challenge by SuperBunnyhop and it was great to see someone else was a weirdo like me that got something out of these weird self-imposed challenges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dQtmchHWaM (This is a great place to start throwing poison scorpions or snakes btw, doesn't even count as a kill if they get poisoned while distracted)

The thing is these challenges had to be self imposed, and I had to reload to do them because of the nature of the scenario and level design in the adventure didn't lend itself to that gameplay. Or you needed those VR mission expansions to experience more places to play with it. With Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes, and now almost assuredly Phantom Pain, that type of sandbox gameplay is finally built right in. Replaying areas (by marking them off as missions) is encouraged and rewarded. And allow you to try all these different play styles without constantly reloading your save or having your rank tanked. You can go loud and kill everyone on the same save as one where you get through as an unseen ghost. Further, The extra sideops missions in PW, that some didn't care for, have always been in the series, as VR missions, but now are built right in! No need to wait for a a expansion 6 months later, or to have them artificially separated from gameplay and story in abstractions of enviroments. They're right in the box and they're the reason me and others put 20+ hours into GZ and felt great doing so. In addition, the controls and gameplay balance in GZ/PP are now such that places where the gameplay lacked in previous games, is fixed. Gone is needing to handicap yourself to avoid overpowered tranq guns, as is the artificial difficulty of overly complicated moves. For example, throwing empty magazines was always potentially a useful gameplay mechanic, but was hampered by limited supply or poor controls. Did you like the throwing objects gameplay of MGS2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_2572nqdiw
whatswrongwithyou.gif

But now that's all fixed, and been streamlined to make throwing magazines and other objects an effective alternative to guns. And it's like that for most of the sandbox in the new one. The tranq gun has bullet drop, more limited ammo, and guards are more likely to wear helmets and wake up sooner. C4 has always been in MGS, but places to use it in actual gameplay other than fucking around? Few and far between. Now in GZ it's actually useful, even when sneaking. Place a C4 in an out of the way place or empty guard tower, detonate it when an enemy is suspicious or onto you. Bam, guards go to that far away place and check out the detonation, alerted yes, but not to you because the AI is now good enough to be alerted to something other than just Snake.

For the player on the gameplay first side of the spectrum, these adjustments make the GZ, and seemingly PP, the MGS they've always wanted. For the players that were primarily in it for story, it's entirely understandable they are disappointed the way this one is going. Just as I was disappointed by the MGS2 and MGS4 past chapter 2. But it's annoying to hear people say "this isn't MGS." Jeff Gerstmann went so far as to say he would feel better about the game if it didn't have the number 5 after it, because it isn't his MGS. I don't get that, because it is MGS, just maybe not the part he likes.

Metal Gear has always been a series of contradictions. It's serious and preachy, but it's stupid and absurdist goofball comedy. It's about never being seen and not killing, but it's about killing everything with a huge array of weapons the game gushes about. It's all about the player passively watching/listening to cool cutscenes and funny/interesting audio conversations, but it's also all about the meticulously designed gameplay sandbox filled to the brim with world interaction that responds to player experimentation to an insane degree. That's the beauty of the series, it's all of that, and you take what you want from it. Sometimes there isn't enough of the part you want, gameplay in MGS4 after chapter 2, bosses in PW and MGS2, and now story in GZ and PP. But that's fine, it's good the series plays with which of these things is in focus, and pleasing everyone is a fools errand. At it's best, the part you like about it makes you more interested in the part you aren't. But it's all in there and it's all MGS. This new one will still have the story, with crazy things going on, but now you're going to be thrown the gameplay ocean and have to swim longer to get to them. Giving the player more freedom and interaction with the sandbox via mission based gameplay has led to less cutscenes as a side effect. It's what I always wanted, and why based on GZ and demonstrations it's set to be my favorite MGS ever. But yeah, my sympathies to those that will hate this game. I think reviews and fans split at an increasing rate on Phantom Pain. I think that's great and fine. I hope overzealous fans on my side of the spectrum don't slam those that dislike this one. Some fans not liking this one is going to happen, it isn't what they wanted. On the other hand, I hope those on the cutscene side of the spectrum don't deny it's Metal Gear just because it emphasizes the gameplay aspects always present in the series.

Edit: was originally going to post that as a new thread, but maybe works better here? Dunno

I'm glad you posted this! I agree, however I will miss the heavy handed cutscenes. hopefully they aren't quite as few and far between as they sound. Also, I'm total shite at GZ so.

Hypron

Congratulations, you just beat the best game of all time.

Great stuff. What were some of your favourite moments in the game?

Thanks guys!

The game has lots of really cool moments, but if I were to choose a couple:
  • The battle with the end was probably my favourite part of the game gameplay-wise. I spent 90% of it crawling on the ground checking my surroundings haha. Sneaking up on that old guy was lots of fun
  • The fight with Volgin. I fought him bare handed which seemed fitting. He got me down to basically no health left when he still had almost one bar of health, which made the end of the fight especially tense. The music was great at making the fight feel epic
  • Successfully sneaking past everyone on my way up the mountain. I just kept on getting spotted in the rest of the game so it was great to get through a big area like that without alerting enemies even once. Also, it's hard to top sneaking around in that desert animals suit
  • And finally, the entirety of the fight with The Boss, including the cutscenes before and especially after. The boss fight itself is great and challenging (that framerate though :/), and the cutscenes are strangely emotional
But that's just a couple of them, it was lots of fun. I'll play through it one more time this weekend to get all the trophies I missed. Then if I have some time I might do an extreme playthrough but I'm not sure yet.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Really interesting read, Vagrant. Thanks for posting.

The preference between those who prefer story and those who prefer gameplay is a dichotomy apparent across all of gaming, not MG fans alone. What makes the series so special (and MGS4 somewhat of a low point for me), is that it has balanced both the gameplay and the narrative aspects pretty well (IMO).

While I adore the lore, I lean more towards the gameplay. It's so robust. Being given free reign to push it's boundaries and finding the reward Kojima and Co have left for you, is a genuine thrill. A CODEC showing Snake choking his chicken in a locker, a ghost in a photo, a C4 sticking to a guard's back; the series has a breathtaking attention to (and breadth of) detail that shows just how much thought and care has gone into making it. Kojima fucking knows you, he knows what you'll try out, and there's a weird comfort in the game reacting to you in so many different ways.

I've no doubt that TPP is going to blow my mind. It sound like it's the Metal Gear I didn't know I've always wanted. :D

However, when the final game was released the level design in the Plant chapter seemed like it was lacking. So many straight corridors, and tranqing guards seemed the defacto method for continuing. There was less in the way of approaching guards in many areas without just resorting to tranq spam.

Here though, I've got to disagree. As far as I'm concerned, MGS2 is the pinnacle of that Metal Gear puzzle room design philosophy that's been in place since MG2. The gadgets, weapons, bomb disposal, disguises; they're all fun and all, but it's the streamlined, fast-paced stealth in between that keeps me going back. The Big Shell is perfect for ghosting because it's so gamey as opposed to realistic (which, it turns out, ties in better with the thematic and narrative side).

Vagrant

The preference between those who prefer story and those who prefer gameplay is a dichotomy apparent across all of gaming, not MG fans alone. What makes the series so special (and MGS4 somewhat of a low point for me), is that it has balanced both the gameplay and the narrative aspects pretty well (IMO).

Here though, I've got to disagree. As far as I'm concerned, MGS2 is the pinnacle of that Metal Gear puzzle room design philosophy that's been in place since MG2. The gadgets, weapons, bomb disposal, disguises; they're all fun and all, but it's the streamlined, fast-paced stealth in between that keeps me going back. The Big Shell is perfect for ghosting because it's so gamey as opposed to realistic (which, it turns out, ties in better with the thematic and narrative side).

Good points here. It is something all over in gaming, but pops up in MGS particularly for reasons like you say.

And regarding MGS2, I should add a huge caveat to my experience with it. I sometimes forget I always played with no radar, because I'm all about artificial challenge apparently, and remember finding certain struts annoying to ghost without tranqs and not just outright memorizing the guard patterns. Strut D and E in particular if I'm remembering correctly. But with radar that might be a different story and I did like the bomb disposal and Shell 1 otherwise. And the VR and extra missions. I should probably play MGS2 again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom