• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.
You get 4K don't be selfish ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡ °)

masterrace.png

Skullface

OuterGAF,

I return from /mgg/. I've seen some things here that I haven't seen here that I was hoping for some comment on.

Miller apparently has some racist tendencies. Particularly when it comes to the African children. He allegedly drops a few N bombs.
This struck me as bullshit for a number of reasons.

There was this review by a Russian journalist that painted a very scary picture of the game. Basically side ops like
fulton 10 sheep in under 5minutes. Also, these types of missions are required to unlock the next story mission. Big, barren open maps with not much to do or see.
Does this review exist? Is it a hoax? I also heard it was the same guy that cornered Kojima about the MGS theme.

20 missions=40% game completion.
H-hold me GAF

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
OuterGAF,

I return from /mgg/. I've seen some things here that I haven't seen here that I was hoping for some comment on.

Miller apparently has some racist tendencies. Particularly when it comes to the African children. He allegedly drops a few N bombs.
This struck me as bullshit for a number of reasons.

This was confirmed to be bullshit by Robert. That guy was not at the preview event.

Slowdive

Banned
I just read it, and I know I'm stupid, but I didn't see any mention of it.

It's been removed, I copied it though:

SPOILERS

"Along with a change in appearance in which the player will decide through a character creation system, Snake sees only his former-self and is oblivious to the appearance that the player has set for him."

Skullface

SPOILERS

"Along with a change in appearance in which the player will decide through a character creation system, Snake sees only his former-self and is oblivious to the appearance that the player has set for him."

That was driving me crazy! I read it about an hour ago and I was combing through it just now to find the line regarding the spoiler. I was just about to post here that it had to have been removed.

Edit:
Didn't Brazil mention something about how there was plastic surgery to avoid being tracked down and killed? I'm very confused about all of this. He mentioned that you can change the skin color? What is going on with this?

Sn4ke_911

As far as next-generation games go, many studios seem intent on how man zombies can fill across the screen while minimizing actual gameplay mechanics, and trying to deliver cinema experiences in the span of a four session while rehashing last-generation game mechanics without adding anything new. Aside from the indie studios which have no fears in taking risks by the way of new gameplay mechanics, Triple-A studios appear to be running in fear at the very thought of trying anything new, and so have focused their games on realistic graphics. As far as I’m concerned Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain is the first next-generation game.

It brings new gameplay mechanics, expands on those from a variety of different genres and brings them in to one fully-fledged game while still upholding a high-level of graphical quality. And this was just a preview of the game, and I sense many more surprises in stock for when the game actually launches. In the same way the original Metal Gear Solid stood out as a defining factor for Sony’s first PlayStation and to that of their later consoles, The Phantom Pain will do the same for this console generation.

Venom Fox

Banned
That was driving me crazy! I read it about an hour ago and I was combing through it just now to find the line regarding the spoiler. I was just about to post here that it had to have been removed.

Edit:
Didn't Brazil mention something about how there was plastic surgery to avoid being tracked down and killed? I'm very confused about all of this. He mentioned that you can change the skin color? What is going on with this?
That spoiler is basically what I told you all about a month ago...
Well without the
Gray Fox thing lol.

Edit: This is what I said.

This is what I think will happen in TTP.

At some point in the game kojima will do a bait and switch with Gray Fox/Big Boss and we will find out that Frank Yeager/Gray Fox had his face changed to resemble Big Boss as a part of a cover up by Cypher.
The reason being that he feared the world finding out about the legendary Big Boss's coma. (This was also the reason for the les enfants terrible project wasn't it?)

That or.

Cypher was relentlessly hunting BB so he persuaded Frank/Fox to switch faces to stop Cypher from going after the real BB while he gathered his supplies and soldiers to build Outer Heaven.

When BB does wake up however we will continue playing the game as the real BB and build our outer heavens up until the point where solid snake is introduced as a rookie, trained up and sent on his mission to infiltrate OH.

Chinner

Banned

SPOILERS

so er,
you create yourself a new face, but only snake and the player can see his former self aka big bosss. seems a bit pointless if you're making effort to have a new look and then it isnt acknowledged by snake or the game

Venom Fox

Banned
so er,
you create yourself a new face, but only snake and the player can see his former self aka big bosss. seems a bit pointless if you're making effort to have a new look and then it isnt acknowledged by snake or the game
Kojima is known to edit scenes in trailers in order to fool us.
Big Boss may see himself as "himself" but Ocelot, Kaz Etc may see him with the new face.

This could be reflected in cutscenes?

Chinner

Banned
Kojima is known to edit scenes in trailers in order to fool us.
Big Boss may see himself as "himself" but Ocelot, Kaz Etc may see him with the new face.

This could be reflected in cutscenes?

why does kojima always need to fool us? also, how would he be fooling us if this is one of the first things the game makes you do?

thabtoUK

who knows?
As stated above, the Gaming Bolt story about
Big Boss' face
has been edited as well.

However, I did of course take a screengrab of it.

The screen grab does contain a watermark crediting me and the Metal Gear Solid sub-Reddit, so if you don't like this idea, I'd suggest not clicking on the link below.

AND A POTENTIALLY MASSIVE SPOILER WARNING!

http://imgur.com/myeJw8Q

Originally taken from: http://gamingbolt.com/metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-preview-the-first-next-generation-game

Chinner

Banned
regarding above, don't highlight if ur avoiding,
i will 100% ignore the character creation and just use big bosses default face. dont really care for this, and the idea of any switcharoo deflates my hype for this game

Ryan_MSF

regarding above, don't highlight if ur avoiding,
i will 100% ignore the character creation and just use big bosses default face. dont really care for this, and the idea of any switcharoo deflates my hype for this game

i genuinely don't remotely see the point of this option whatsoever, it's not been a feature before so it baffles me why they'd feel the need to include it now.

Chinner

Banned
i genuinely don't remotely see the point of this option whatsoever, it's not been a feature before so it baffles me why they'd feel the need to include it now.

The problem is that we're getting these one-off sentences that don't really provide context. if it's a case that
it's your persona for invading other peoples MBs, then that's fine.
any kind of story implication is lame however.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The most interesting Part in that preview for me was:

"Alerting a guard or enemy soldier won’t spawn a barrage of NPCs running their way with guns blazing, instead the game will react smartly and dynamically meaning guards may choose to approach you solo should they feel brave, or change their minds and call for reinforcements if they feel unmatched."

Ryan_MSF

The problem is that we're getting these one-off sentences that don't really provide context. if it's a case that
it's your persona for invading other peoples MBs, then that's fine.
any kind of story implication is lame however.

3 hour pythonselkan vid incoming

Sn4ke_911

In most open-world games there are buildings you can enter, and buildings you can’t. In the majority of cases, entering any interior requires an immersion-breaking loading screen. Not in MGSV. It is able to do this because, of course, there are fewer buildings in an Afghan settlement than a given patch of LA, but even so, the effect on the player is tremendous. This is integrity of design: the idea that everything in a world is a physical presence that reacts as it should, rather than a solid 3D shape that’s basically wallpaper. So used are we to the disappointment of locked doors, so inured to the possibility that things could be different, that the simple fact you can seamlessly enter any building you see in MGSV strikes with the force of a revolution.

-Deimos

"Alerting a guard or enemy soldier won’t spawn a barrage of NPCs running their way with guns blazing, instead the game will react smartly and dynamically meaning guards may choose to approach you solo should they feel brave, or change their minds and call for reinforcements if they feel unmatched."

I like this.

Banzai

that sounds great. I realize it was way too late to remove the reflex mode system, but this seems like a nice compromise.
It was just ...too weird to hear the base's alarm sounds go off the second someone spots you in gz.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
ffs i think its time to abandon this community ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง

Sn4ke_911

MGSV feels like a game of endless possibilities. MGS as a series has managed one of the industry’s greatest feats, which is to have remained at the cutting edge over four console generations. No other AAA title has managed this. What is even more remarkable is that Kojima and his team have managed to maintain the core elements of the series over this time, and the way they work in MGSV is a revelation.

MGSV promises so much, and after two days in its world it feels like, if anything, it’s going to over-deliver. If this is to be Hideo Kojima’s last Metal Gear Solid then all you can do is salute, and acknowledge that despite the sadness – what a way to go.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
that sounds great. I realize it was way too late to remove the reflex mode system, but this seems like a nice compromise.
It was just ...too weird to hear the base's alarm sounds go off the second someone spots you in gz.

You could take them out before they finished shouting and stop the alert, but the window of opportunity was super tight.

Banzai

You could take them out before they finished shouting and stop the alert, but the window of opportunity was super tight.

Yeah I know, it's close to impossible with Reflex turned off if you're not directly looking at whoever spots you already.
You know, I think I'd be a lot more okay with Reflex mode if it at least didn't automatically focus the enemy when you aim your gun.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I know, it's close to impossible with Reflex turned off if you're not directly looking at whoever spots you already.
You know, I think I'd be a lot more okay with Reflex mode if it at least didn't automatically focus the enemy when you aim your gun.

True. I spend most of my time disarming folk and holding them up with their own guns, so I'm usually close enough to deal with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom