• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
This was brought up on Reddit recently. If this scene (pictured below) was shown prior to MGS3's release, what conclusions would you all have jumped to? Don't worry. Nothing is too embarrassing for a Metal Gear fan!

8Rg0ri1.png

Mine would be: GRAY FOX IN MGS3? BODY DOUBLE THEORY ANALYZED.

Haha! That's a good point.

I do. I plan on playing this game as stoically as possible. No buddies (except D-horse), no shitting on command,no tranquilizer, no fulton, no reflex mode, no HUD, no marking, no suppressors on primary weapons, no normal difficulty. Anything that I can do to get the experience as close to the pax 2012 demo as possible. If microtransactions will allow me to expand motherbase without having to attach a silly baloon people and things then I'll go that route. A military leader shouldn't have to kidnap people to join his cause, his prowess and legend should prompt people to join.

Neil-deGrasse-Tyson-we-got-a-bad-ass-over-here-meme.png

This was brought up on Reddit recently. If this scene (pictured below) was shown prior to MGS3's release, what conclusions would you all have jumped to? Don't worry. Nothing is too embarrassing for a Metal Gear fan!

8Rg0ri1.png

Mine would be: GRAY FOX IN MGS3? BODY DOUBLE THEORY ANALYZED.
I played in the order: MGS1, 3, 2, 4 so I would say: I thought that Liquid is dead.

Because, you know, I knew nothing at all about MGS3 before I played it and I thought that Naked Snake = Solid Snake, lol.
Only in the end, when he is tittled BB, I was like "oh, it wasn't Solid and I'm retarded". :)

Dawg

That list looks fake. It really only mentions stuff we know. And it got leaked... through a facebook page, huh? I'll eat crow if it turns out to be real but... I remember a certain release date being leaked via via too...

Am I supposed to believe Quiet, DD and D-Horse are the only companions? Naw.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Maybe it's just how few games I play, but I've never actually encountered a trophy list that's turned out to be a fraud. Especially not when it has its own little fairly believable (IMO) images for each one.

Nah, personally I'm confident it's real. We'll see though!

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I beat the MGS games I got to play in this order:
  1. MGS3
  2. MGS2
  3. MGS1
  4. MGS4
  5. Peace Walker

If I had seen that image prior to the release of MGS 3, I've have thought double-replacement spy stuff but I would not have known who was replacing Big Boss.

I played in the natural order:
MGS1
MGS2
MGS3
MGS4
*skipped peacwalker*
MGSV.

Mexen

I feel sorry for you.

Tell me about it. It wasn't by choice though, it was access to the games. Back when MGS came out, I only sampled it, same with 2. I'd head over to a friend's or something. Eventually, I got my own systems and personal copies.
So despite the order I played them in, I knew this and that about the earlier released titles' characters and stuff and so going into MGS 3 first for a full playthrough was still a great experience... until I tried to interrogate guards in MGS. LOL

I played in the natural order:
MGS1
MGS2
MGS3
MGS4
*skipped peacwalker*
MGSV.

Would have loved this to be the case. It would have been great to appreciate the evolution of the games as they came out. Often times, when I finally got 2, I would try to do stuff from 3 before realizing that that feature was unavailable (TIME PARADOX).

Eventually, I would replay them in order of release and canonical order. Grabbed a copy of GZ recently but I have not yet touched it. Gotta write finals next week first.

-Plasma Reus-

I tried, I didn't like the controls. And the PSP graphics are not my thing. But mainly the controls were horrible. It being a handled platform game also meant that there is a distinct lack of cinematic feel to it all. I may at some point just read up on it, or watch a playthrough, but I don't appreciate its existence whatsoever.

I tried, I didn't like the controls. And the PSP graphics are not my thing. But mainly the controls were horrible. It being a handled platform game also meant that there is a distinct lack of cinematic feel to it all. I may at some point just read up on it, or watch a playthrough, but I don't appreciate its existence whatsoever.

The HD edition is much more playable than the PSP version.

The game is one of the best in the series from a gameplay perspective. Story wise it appears to be vital for understanding TPP.

Tom Snows

Neo Member
Some people were complaining that the game was too easy, since you could run right up to enemies and they wouldn't see you most of the time (most notably, during the translator mission). I think everyone is forgetting Ground Zeroes. Enemies on Normal were blind as fuck, but on Hard they could see you crouching from pretty far away, and stayed vigilant for quite some time.

Also, there is always the possibility of a "Boss" difficulty unlocking once you beat the game, even if this time that isn't a sure thing like in the other games.

Skullface

I would give it another shot either on Vita where you can configure the controls for dual sticks or the HD version. It really is a great game, and easily has the most content of any title in the series so far. A lot of people didn't like boss fights, but I loved meticulously taking each guard out one by one (via Fulton) without triggering an alert. It's also the first MGS to feature tagging. Which I was unaware of until 4 years later lol

Peace Walker is one of my favorite video games of all time. I did every side mission on S level including the monster hunter missions. All solo.

Imagine my smile watching the 40 minute presentation realizing this is essentially Super Peace Walker.

They better have the banana R & D schematic.

Error1355

Some people were complaining that the game was too easy, since you could run right up to enemies and they wouldn't see you most of the time (most notably, during the translator mission). I think everyone is forgetting Ground Zeroes. Enemies on Normal were blind as fuck, but on Hard they could see you crouching from pretty far away, and stayed vigilant for quite some time.

Also, there is always the possibility of a "Boss" difficulty unlocking once you beat the game, even if this time that isn't a sure thing like in the other games.

I for one am fully okay with the game being easy. I'm not a person who plays a game for challenge. >_>

Kindekuma

Banned
Kinde, where did you get that info about the team taking note of the carry animation?

Hey so I rewatched the demo and I played some GZ to compare the animations. When standing and walking, Snakes arm in GZ clips through a solider or POW, and his arm swings a lot when crouched walking. In TPP, his arm doesn't clip through someone when carrying them either standing up or crouching. So this animation was indeed fixed in some way.

I do. I plan on playing this game as stoically as possible. No buddies (except D-horse), no shitting on command,no tranquilizer, no fulton, no reflex mode, no HUD, no marking, no suppressors on primary weapons, no normal difficulty. Anything that I can do to get the experience as close to the pax 2012 demo as possible. If microtransactions will allow me to expand motherbase without having to attach a silly baloon people and things then I'll go that route. A military leader shouldn't have to kidnap people to join his cause, his prowess and legend should prompt people to join.

Why even play the game if you take out all the fun in it? Good luck though.

Hey so I rewatched the demo and I played some GZ to compare the animations. When standing and walking, Snakes arm in GZ clips through a solider or POW, and his arm swings a lot when crouched walking. In TPP, his arm doesn't clip through someone when carrying them either standing up or crouching. So this animation was indeed fixed in some way.

It's not the clipping I'm talking about. What I'm saying is that they had a completely different animation for him suited to the context of bearing 180lbs of human meat on his shoulders. I know I'm not the only one that notices this. I noticed they cut it the moment they first showed off the tgs gameplay footage of ground zeroes. There's no feeling of weight to it at all. Emphasis on FEEL. And yes, I'm completely aware that when clicking L3 he sprints at a slower pace when carrying a person and I think that's equally as stupid. They more than likely cut it because speed runners would complain about how it hinders their play style.

Watch that E3 2013 trailer again and notice, really notice, the form snakes body takes when he is carrying kaz. Notice the strain in each leg movement, the "scuttle" if you will. In regards to his free right arm, notice how he flares that thing out and swings it with a mucher wider radius because his body has to compensate/counterbalance kaz's weight. Now, if you simply push the analog stick forward, his running animation and his carrying while"running" animation are identical. All they did to the latter is make his carrying arm grip the left leg and arm of the person being carried and nothing more.

The notion of getting somebody out of a place they shouldn't be is a thrilling aspect and that original animation complemented that perfectly. And before you doods go on with your " I remember when I used to have fun" Memes, bare in mind that whats fun to you isnt necisarilly fun for another. If I could post comparison gifs I would but I don't have a computer.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
ANALYSIS COMPLETE

ANALYSIS COMPLETE

ANALYSIS COMPLETE

When my friend came over yesterday to show me some neat tips and tricks for Ground Zeroes (yes, I have a friend who's far more hardcore into MGS than even I am, it's awesome) he talked about this. Every time he marked a soldier while playing GZ I imitated the iDroid's "ANALYSIS COMPLETE" in order to "get us prepared for the worst."

Then afterward I decided to imitate the iDroid saying stuff for basically everything he did -- "ENEMY HAS SPOTTED YOU", "YOU HAVE DEFEATED AN ENEMY", "AN ITEM IS NEARBY AND YOU SHOULD GET IT", "I AM NOW AMPLIFYING THE MUFFLED CRIES OF DESPERATE PRISONERS NEAR YOUR LOCATION IN ORDER TO IMPROVE YOUR ODDS OF FINDING THEM" -- all in that same AI voice as ever -- just to get us to accept that hey, it could still be worse.

BrosephStalin

Neo Member
When my friend came over yesterday to show me some neat tips and tricks for Ground Zeroes (yes, I have a friend who's far more hardcore into MGS than even I am, it's awesome) he talked about this. Every time he marked a soldier while playing GZ I imitated the iDroid's "ANALYSIS COMPLETE" in order to "get us prepared for the worst."

Then afterward I decided to imitate the iDroid saying stuff for basically everything he did -- "ENEMY HAS SPOTTED YOU", "YOU HAVE DEFEATED AN ENEMY", "AN ITEM IS NEARBY AND YOU SHOULD GET IT", "I AM NOW AMPLIFYING THE MUFFLED CRIES OF DESPERATE PRISONERS NEAR YOUR LOCATION IN ORDER TO IMPROVE YOUR ODDS OF FINDING THEM" -- all in that same AI voice as ever -- just to get us to accept that hey, it could still be worse.

But doesn't the voice come out of the dualshock 4 in Ground Zeroes? So muting it or making it quiet shouldn't be a problem,right? (or so I hope)

J.EM1

But doesn't the voice come out of the dualshock 4 in Ground Zeroes? So muting it or making it quiet shouldn't be a problem,right? (or so I hope)
It does, but you'll hear it on headphones. However there is a feature where you can direct the audio to the controller while having the headphones on. So yeah, not entirely a problem.

I don't mind it. Donna Burke's voice is lovely. :p

thabtoUK

who knows?
As we know, Hideo Kojima wore a t-shirt at the 2014 Video Game Awards that said "22nd, the 6th" in Swedish ("tjugoan, den sjätte"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyrByNOEsg0

Many people believe that this refers to "June 22nd", which is tomorrow.

At the time, a lot of people thought that this would be The Phantom Pain's release date, which turned out to be untrue.

So, do you agree that Kojima's shirt is referring to June 22nd?

And if so, do you think something Metal Gear Solid related will announced tomorrow?

Shy

As we know, Hideo Kojima wore a t-shirt at the 2014 Video Game Awards that said "22nd, the 6th" in Swedish ("tjugoan, den sjätte"):

At the time, a lot of people thought that this would be The Phantom Pain's release date, which turned to be untrue.

And if so, do you think something Metal Gear Solid related will announced tomorrow?
I think he just wore it to troll people, and is meaningless.

At the time, a lot of people thought that this would be The Phantom Pain's release date, which turned to be untrue.

Detective GAF slipping. Batzi would have the whole thread jumping.

realcZk

Does anyone know if the collectors editions been available on amazon yet or are we still waiting for those to be be in stock for the first time?

-Plasma Reus-

At the time, a lot of people thought that this would be The Phantom Pain's release date, which turned out to be untrue.

I still believe this would have been the release date. I believe the release date was a major issue in the falling out of Kojima and Konami. I reckon he wanted more time, perhaps delay it another year to refine things. But I don't think Konami would be financially able to sustain another years delay, and I think that's when they told him to finish it up, and stamped a september date on the game and told Kojipro to finish up the work, since Konami wouldn't be able to hit their target of June.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

MGO Beta stealth launch. BELIEVE

Mexen

I want an audio file of this. LMAO

Juicy Bob

Just as a PSA: Be very careful about YouTube comments on any MGS related video between now and release.

The best policy is to just not read them. It's been known for people to troll MGS videos with spoilers before.

Hypron

fixed that for ya. :p

Yeah. On my previous PC I had that "herp derp" Chrome plug-in that would just replace everything in the comments section by... well... "herp derp". It was pretty good, there was no way to accidentally read stupid posts or spoilers. I should reinstall it.

AAMARMO

Banned

Probably ZoE 3 kickstarter

-Plasma Reus-

I just did my first no kill run in Ground Zeros story mission. 0 kills and 0 alerts.
Took me an hour the finish the mission though. Overall rating B. Score 36200.
How does the score system work here?

I was never spotted, I have total Stealth Completions: 1 and total No-Kill Completions: 1, but then below it says Total Stealth, No-Kill Completions: 0.
Anyone know why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom