• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've rewatched the new gameplay videos a bunch throughout the day. While I don't understand the Japanese commentary its a lot more entertaining to listen too! Anyone else in the same boat? Love the over the top sarcastic tone of the language in general.

Definitely. Akio knocks it out of the park. I really wish Sean Eyestone could have put a little more enthusiasm in his version of the presentation, especially after hearing the Japanese version. His other ones were still good, but just can't compete with Akio, and he even sounded a bit more tired than usual in this one. Pretty disappointing, but fantabulous gameplay nonetheless.

I like this comment from Reddit too (except for the personalities thing, not sure what he's on about there):
6W1mqyA.png

Kindekuma

Banned
I'm so glad a ponytail is optional. I like the hair down, but I'll have it in a pony tail when I do naked camo Africa missions.

Is it just old school vets that get a response round here?
This community has gone down hill lately.
Sooo quiet.

You're old school vet for me. Like everyone else who was here before me :)
I''m maybe late with cheering but I'm always late here. Damn timezones :mad:

There's so much going on in here that some post may become lost, especially when there's new gameplay video and everyone's talking about it.

To answer your question I got to say this: I want to Koijma make any type of game because anything he touches turn into pure gold.
If he would make a COD type game then Activision could just stop making any new CODs beacause Kojima's creation could declass it.

I just love Assassin's Creed games but with each new game it's worse and worse. First one was the greatest, so Kojima should make a reboot of the series making medieval AC and it would be the greatest game of all time 'cause Kojima's attention to detail.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I just noticed when you slide down hills you can damage the cardboard box.

Before:
2015-07-0813_31_45-ad2ak1h.png

After:
2015-07-0813_32_25-admoj9w.png

So, what do you guys think about this game's time span? Do you think the entire story will be told in 1984, or...? Personally, I see a time jump to the early-to-mid 90's. Maybe even a true ending scenario ala Peace Walker!

Sn4ke_911

Looks like every single item in the game is upgradeable.

I wonder how you can upgrade the magazine.

2015-07-0814_02_39-adcguis.png

You can knock them out with a magazine even without Reflex, if you throw it really high in the air and it lands on their head.

You don't have to throw it high it just needs to connect at exactly the right time when they first notice you (guessing it's while the red exclamation is there)
This video shows both techniques for anyone who hasn't seen it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryeA_JELvYA

Looks like every single item in the game is upgradeable.

I wonder how you can upgrade the magazine.

2015-07-0814_02_39-adcguis.png

A star rank doesn't necessarily mean it's upgradeable, everything was ranked in PW too. If you can upgrade it they could make the noise go further or something.
I'm surprised it's infinite again, I thought they'd changed that in an older demo?

Vally

So, what do you guys think about this game's time span? Do you think the entire story will be told in 1984, or...? Personally, I see a time jump to the early-to-mid 90's. Maybe even a true ending scenario ala Peace Walker!

I'm not sure if there will be a time jump to the nineties but regardless I think it's unlikely that the whole game will be in 1984, I'm expecting the main story to take place in a 1-2 years span at least

Sn4ke_911

You don't have to throw it high it just needs to connect at exactly the right time.
This video shows both techniques for anyone who hasn't seen it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyr-VltW1fA

A star rank doesn't necessarily mean it's upgradeable, everything was ranked in PW too. If you can upgrade it they could make the noise go further or something.
I'm surprised it's infinite again, I thought they'd changed that in an older demo?

LOL this video is freakin amazing.

Sushigod7

You don't have to throw it high it just needs to connect at exactly the right time when they first notice you (guessing it's while the red exclamation is there)
This video shows both techniques for anyone who hasn't seen it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryeA_JELvYA

hahaha man I've never seen that amazing.

Venom Fox

Banned
I'm not sure if there will be a time jump to the nineties but regardless I think it's unlikely that the whole game will be in 1984, I'm expecting the main story to take place in a 1-2 years span at least
I'm just intent on a time skip to the 90's, if not only for the fact that Kojima said he "was not done with Snake".
He said this while being 100% serious about this being the last MGS.

Its just logical to me.

If it doesn't end on a Solid Snake high note then I'll be sad, very sad.

Jindrax

Someone probably already asked this but fuck searching!

Why is Kaz's firstname "Benedict". In MGS he's introduced at McDonald Miller no?
Why retcon his name KOJMA WHY

Venom Fox

Banned

Why is Kaz's firstname "Benedict". In MGS he's introduced at McDonald Miller no?
I thought he was always called McDonnell Benedict Miller in MGS1?

I'm thinking that when Zero created his Patriot System that we now know controls the world through a common language (English) it's more then likely the system causes everyone to change their names to a more simpler, English one as well, so Kaz probably changed it to McDonnell for the system?

^^^ LOL

That's part of his name from the MG2 Manual. In fact, I'm not sure any of his first names ever appeared in the actual games before, except for Kaz.

Venom Fox

Banned
What I don't get is when Miller left Big Boss in the 90's and later joined FoxHound, did he not realise that Big Boss was the Commander?

I never played MG1 sorry :)

What I don't get is when Miller left Big Boss in the 90's and later joined FoxHound, did he not realise that Big Boss was the Commander?

Retcons. I was honestly surprised to see them include the Benedict moniker for Kaz. I thought it would've been logical for kojima to have him drop kazuhira, which means "peace", in the name of vengeance.

OldLogos

Banned

Yeah this struck me too. Especially considering a lot of trailers have
shown a bit of tension between BB and Kaz.

I think the answer, though, as to why he 'left' to join FOXHOUND has to be answered in the game
- my unbased theory being Diamond Dogs and FOXHOUND are very closely related

RetroMG

Miller isn't in MG1, which is the only game where Big Boss is the commander of Foxhound. He's support in MG2, which is after Big Boss has been taken down the first time.

Jindrax

Did Snake say in MGS4 that he learned CQC from Big Boss?
When he gets asked on codec?

Ashamed of your words and deeds!

WTF DID I DO AGAIN, UNCLE BRAU!!!

Miller isn't in MG1, which is the only game where Big Boss is the commander of Foxhound. He's support in MG2, which is after Big Boss has been taken down the first time.

Nah he was in FoxHound, cos he trained snake bro, that's why Snake calls him Master.

OldLogos

Banned
Did Snake say in MGS4 that he learned CQC from Big Boss?
When he gets asked on codec?

Yeah. I watched that codec call yesterday and, honestly, felt sort of like a cringey acknowledgement of a retcon.

Otacon calls and asks snake where he learned it and why he hasn't used it before. He says he learned it from BB, but after BB's betrayal he actively tried to not use it, until post MGS 1 (or was it 2) where BB's history was declassified and tons of people started to learn "cookie cutter imitations of CQC," which leads Snake to use the techniques simply out of muscle memory.

What kills me is that it is so hard to get people to play the old games. MGS1 is so old now that it is really, really, really, really, really difficult to get emotionally attached. Same with MGS2 and 3. And 4 is getting long in the tooth too.

But not just visually. Even gameplay wise, these games are hard and cumbersome for modern day gamers.

Don't Konami realize that people would pay 60 Dollars for a Remake of 1, 2, 3 and 4 each, all within the MGS5 Engine/Combat/graphics?

It's what Big Boss Deserves. Can't a new rookie team be put on remaking them, just moving assets over and updating everything faithfully? GTA5 being bigger than all the other games, the biggest problem would be to update the thematic and cut scenes.

I wonder if the choreography of MGS1 would be impressive at all today!

Shit.

Yen

I would love a time skip. Even if the game is showing Boss' descent into darkness, he's still the protagonist, so a time skip could allow us to see him as a true villain rather than anti-hero.

Don't Konami realize that people would pay 60 Dollars for a Remake of 1, 2, 3 and 4 each, all within the MGS5 Engine/Combat/graphics?
I assume this is what Konami will do next. Reboot the series with a remake of 1 but then go in a different direction with the sequels (read: make much more straightforward sequels, little emphasis on "high-brow/philisophical themes).

I assume this is what Konami will do next. Reboot the series with a remake of 1 but then go in a different direction with the sequels (read: make much more straightforward sequels, little emphasis on "high-brow/philisophical themes).

But you don't think MGS1, 2 or 3 would ever work as open world games, do you?

MGS1 and 2 are tiny games. Their sneaking/stealth mechanics are ancient. The enemies are literally "!" haha.

MGS4 might work as an open world game though!

Yen

MGS1 and 2 are tiny games. Their sneaking/stealth mechanics are ancient. The enemies are literally "!" haha.

3 would. But thinking about it, if open-world games cost more to develop than linear games then I doubt the post-Kojima Konami would make them!

wilsonda

Wonder if we will get buddy "loyalty" missions similar to mass effect that would impact your relationship

One idea would be Quiet's loyalty mission where you have to locate the person that made her quiet ... when you locate the person it turns out they would be a great resource for MB... you have two choices...

Execute the person (or let her do it) and improve your relationship

Or

Bring the person back to MB and get excellent rewards but have your relationship be affected

Alfrays

Neo Member

I thought about it. What if in MGS1 we can start from the sea, and the part where we meet the wolfs for the first time and the one where we fight sniper wolf(the second time) are much larger? It could be a decent open world game in that case.

For MGS2 it can be a little more complex, but maybe playing the story of Raiden and then the one of Snake(as Pliskin), in that case the game would be long(and renewed) enough even if it isn't an open world game.

As for MGS 3, PO, PW, 4, MG and MG2:SS, they can be all open world games.

Ryan_MSF

Wonder if we will get buddy "loyalty" missions similar to mass effect that would impact your relationship

One idea would be Quiet's loyalty mission where you have to locate the person that made her quiet ... when you locate the person it turns out they would be a great resource for MB... you have two choices...

Execute the person (or let her do it) and improve your relationship

Or

Bring the person back to MB and get excellent rewards but have your relationship be affected

I actually really dig this idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom