• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensOwl

Banned
I'm glad this thread exists. I don't know if it's the MGSV hype wave I'm riding right now, but I feel like I could talk about MGS forever.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Mexen just blew my mind - Why doesn't BB have the horn in MGS4? (Aside from the one incredibly obvious answer, I mean.)

Because Kojima can't see into the future what he will do with the character a few years later.

Mexen just blew my mind - Why doesn't BB have the horn in MGS4? (Aside from the one incredibly obvious answer, I mean.)

My guess is it's not actually a real horn. It's all part of this 'demon' persona (that also involves being covered in blood) that BB imagines he is becoming, and is why it seems to grow- signaling his descent.

In the E3 2015 trailer you can see BB fleeing from a similar material to his horn, which is driving up from the ground in huge spikes.

Mexen

Looks like I missed out on the drama. The brothers have spoken- stirreth not thou the shit.

Edit: fucking mobile

Vally

I've never play co-op in PW what's it all about? It's normal mission but with other players?
You race for points or everyone are trying to do their best, helping each other and all players get the same amount of points?

Yep, it's just the normal missions but with other players, all the players get the same rank at the end of the mission

My guess is it's not actually a real horn. It's all part of this 'demon' persona (that also involves being covered in blood) that BB imagines he is becoming, and is why it seems to grow- signaling his descent.

In the E3 2015 trailer you can see BB fleeing from a similar material to his horn, which is driving up from the ground in huge spikes.

BB has 108(?) pieces of shrapnel in his body including the one in his head - it's a real horn alright

Dawg

CJgNb1RUsAAGCbh.png:large

yk7abjeq3pvy.gif

I'm a pretty open-minded guy but this post blew my mind. I've read some pretty incredible stuff in that thread. And with incredible, I mean that in a negative way.

That isn't to say I don't respect the opinions of others, but there's a part where the hyperbole regarding the "low points" of Metal Gear gets tiresome. Very tiresome. I keep seeing the same arguments over and over as to why MGS is supposed to be overrated, garbage or just a plain bad stealth game overall. And I read these criticisms. Hell, I understand some of them. But others are just so... unbelievable. I understand not everyone is a fan and I understand this franchise is not for everyone, but there's a difference between not liking something and calling something shit, which a lot of people did in that thread.

Hell, I've seen people call the franchise garbage even though they played every single game. That seems weird to me, but eh. If you hate something, you'd think they would just quit after the first game.

What really irks me though is that people either shit about how overrated the franchise is (which is getting really old) or that the stealth has been awful ever since the first game. I often wonder if the people saying this even like playing stealth games. I mean... the OP of the thread compared Metal Gear Solid stealth to Batman Arkham stealth. I don't know how to respond to that. To me, that just shows the genre isn't really for you. Press r1 to gargoyle isn't stealth. It really isn't.

I don't mind when people don't like Metal Gear Solid. People are allowed to have different opinions. It's the constant bashing that gets to me. For some reason, more and more threads on gaming only talk about the negatives of this franchise. And while I agree MGS-GAF can be a little too enthusiastic when it comes to defending their beloved franchise, it's really uncalled for to have a bunch of people acting like you can't disagree with them because that proves you're just "another MGS-GAF dude".

Imagine making the same thread about Uncharted or The Last of Us. We all know a big part of this site loves those games. And despite the negativity surrounding Uncharted 3, I doubt you'd get the same responses as this thread did. In fact, I'm willing to bet people would just call out the OP for having a shitty opinion and then quote parts of the OP en masse proving how he "doesn't understand" the game or whatever.

Metal Gear has a vocal fanbase, sure. But let's not pretend this only happens with Metal Gear. This franchise, like most franchises, is flawed. There's always a flaw. Even the best games have flaws. But for some reason... the flaws are the only thing people talk about when it comes to MGS. And for some bizarre reason, the "shitty writing" and "awful story" is a recurring discussion point. Something I don't understand. I'm not gonna dismiss the fact MGS can be goofy and really, really silly... but it's still better than most dudebro stories out there. All the other AAA games are so similar. So predictable. There's no originality, except for a couple of high rated games. When it comes to videogames, the writing just isn't that good. It's a fact. Most games I play during the year (even the ones I like) have a predictable story with predictable characters. Its the gameplay that makes up for it. But Metal Gear has both. Yes, it's goofy. Yes, they retcon a lot. And yes, nanomachines are the solution to everything.

But fuck me if it still isn't better than the uninspired drek the vast majority of AAA games like to call a story.

Probably made a ton of mistakes in this text, tired as fuk, just wanted to get this off mah chest /sleep

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

yk7abjeq3pvy.gif

I'm a pretty open-minded guy but this post blew my mind. I've read some pretty incredible stuff in that thread. And with incredible, I mean that in a negative way.

That isn't to say I don't respect the opinions of others, but there's a part where the hyperbole regarding the "low points" of Metal Gear gets tiresome. Very tiresome. I keep seeing the same arguments over and over as to why MGS is supposed to be overrated, garbage or just a plain bad stealth game overall. And I read these criticisms. Hell, I understand some of them. But others are just so... unbelievable. I understand not everyone is a fan and I understand this franchise is not for everyone, but there's a difference between not liking something and calling something shit, which a lot of people did in that thread.

Hell, I've seen people call the franchise garbage even though they played every single game. That seems weird to me, but eh. If you hate something, you'd think they would just quit after the first game.

What really irks me though is that people either shit about how overrated the franchise is (which is getting really old) or that the stealth has been awful ever since the first game. I often wonder if the people saying this even like playing stealth games. I mean... the OP of the thread compared Metal Gear Solid stealth to Batman Arkham stealth. I don't know how to respond to that. To me, that just shows the genre isn't really for you. Press r1 to gargoyle isn't stealth. It really isn't.

I don't mind when people don't like Metal Gear Solid. People are allowed to have different opinions. It's the constant bashing that gets to me. For some reason, more and more threads on gaming only talk about the negatives of this franchise. And while I agree MGS-GAF can be a little too enthusiastic when it comes to defending their beloved franchise, it's really uncalled for to have a bunch of people acting like you can't disagree with them because that proves you're just "another MGS-GAF dude".

Imagine making the same thread about Uncharted or The Last of Us. We all know a big part of this site loves those games. And despite the negativity surrounding Uncharted 3, I doubt you'd get the same responses as this thread did. In fact, I'm willing to bet people would just call out the OP for having a shitty opinion and then quote parts of the OP en masse proving how he "doesn't understand" the game or whatever.

Metal Gear has a vocal fanbase, sure. But let's not pretend this only happens with Metal Gear. This franchise, like most franchises, is flawed. There's always a flaw. Even the best games have flaws. But for some reason... the flaws are the only thing people talk about when it comes to MGS. And for some bizarre reason, the "shitty writing" and "awful story" is a recurring discussion point. Something I don't understand. I'm not gonna dismiss the fact MGS can be goofy and really, really silly... but it's still better than most dudebro stories out there. All the other AAA games are so similar. So predictable. There's no originality, except for a couple of high rated games. When it comes to videogames, the writing just isn't that good. It's a fact. Most games I play during the year (even the ones I like) have a predictable story with predictable characters. Its the gameplay that makes up for it. But Metal Gear has both. Yes, it's goofy. Yes, they retcon a lot. And yes, nanomachines are the solution to everything.

But fuck me if it still isn't better than the uninspired drek the vast majority of AAA games like to call a story.

Probably made a ton of mistakes in this text, tired as fuk, just wanted to get this off mah chest /sleep

95.gif

yk7abjeq3pvy.gif

Have a good night mah Dawg !

Shy

I was going to post this a few days ago.
I believe big boss is suffering from Body dysmorphic disorder.
BB has 108(?) pieces of shrapnel in his body including the one in his head - it's a real horn alright
Just because he has shrapnel in his body, doesn't automatically make his horn real.

OldLogos

Banned
Nice post Dawg, really hitting the right notes, I think, especially concerning how Metal Gear garners A LOT of outright hate and acknowledging that while the series has its flaws, it at least attempts a grand narrative most games don't want to try to achieve.

There was a link to this article somewhere in that thread from someone who wasn't just spitting mindless vitriol, and I just finished reading it.

I know MGS has gotten a lot of flak for its representation of women (esp. Quiet), and I always used to defend it - "But look, that female character has great motivations!" "Well, other games are a lot worse" "But she's not a damsel in distress at least; she's empowered" - but after reading this article, I don't think i can defend it anymore when it comes to the representation of women.

Basically every woman in the story - save for The Boss - is shit on with overt misogynist tones and exists for little outside to give Snake motivation - hell, even The Boss, one of the greatest female video game characters of all time, her whole narrative can be boiled down to "make Big Boss cry."

Don't get me wrong. Fucking love MGS til the day I die, but I think taking off the rose-tinted glasses and re-examining the story and reasons why so many people hate MGS is a good thing.

yk7abjeq3pvy.gif

dog let's squash our beef i love u

I was going to post this a few days ago.
I believe big boss is suffering from Body dysmorphic disorder.

Interesting. From that article it sounds like people's perception of the individual can affect what they believe to be their flaws. Which makes sense for Bis Boss, if the world/his allies are starting to look at his as a monster for what he's doing.

Kojima has said the audience is meant to understand why Big Boss does what he does to become the 'villian' of Solid Snake's story, and it would be very interesting to watch all of BB's anger/guilt manifest itself like this.

So yeah, I'm still on Team No Horn. I mean look at this image of the horn from the E3 2014 trailer, there's no way he could actually have THAT much shrapnel hidden beneath the skin, is there? I've seen the theory that is is slowly being 'rejected' by his body which is why it appears to grow but surely there would be some swelling/distortion visible beneath the skin before it grows that large. Maybe it's sitting where his eye used to be?

eldg6zq.png

-Deimos

Interesting. From that article it sounds like people's perception of the individual can affect what they believe to be their flaws. Which makes sense for Bis Boss, if the world/his allies are starting to look at his as a monster for what he's doing.

Kojima has said the audience is meant to understand why Big Boss does what he does to become the 'villian' of Solid Snake's story, and it would be very interesting to watch all of BB's anger/guilt manifest itself like this.

So yeah, I'm still on Team No Horn. I mean look at this image of the horn from the E3 2014 trailer, there's no way he could actually have THAT much shrapnel hidden beneath the skin, is there?

It's lodged in his brain.

-Deimos

I'm sure it is BUT, the fact it's size changes through the game (from what we've seen so far) leads me to believe that in reality it barely breaks the skin (if that) and the rest is all in his mind.

I don't see why Kojima would do that, it would be a terrible twist that wouldn't get any reaction out of the audience and would probably leave us wondering what the point of the horn was other than looking silly. It's a lot more interesting if it actually is a piece of shrapnel that's lodged in his brain causing damage and whatever other problems having a rock stuck in your head causes. It becomes an actual source of conflict and not something Kojima tacked on because it looks "cool" (which it doesn't).

Shy

I don't see why Kojima would do that, it would be a terrible twist that wouldn't get any reaction out of the audience and would probably leave us wondering what the point of the horn was other than looking silly.
I don't agree with that, i think it would be cool, because you're seeing how big boss views himself because of his actions.

It also deal with the serious issue that military veterans face as a result of being wounded in combat.

And it wouldn't be the first time Kojima put symbolism in a MGS game that had fans scratching their heads at the time, only years later to get it and go "ahhhh, i see what he meant"
It's a lot more interesting if it actually is a piece of shrapnel that's lodged in his brain causing damage and whatever other problems having a rock stuck in your head causes.
As i said, there can still be a real piece of shrapnel in his head, and him still imagining it becoming larger, to reflect the terrible crimes he commits.
It becomes an actual source of conflict and not something Kojima tacked on because it looks "cool" (which it doesn't).
I never implied that Kojima put in because it looks cool.

MajorTom

My girlfriend has left me for the weekend........It's the first time in forever that I have the weekend to myself. What do I do?

Also, #teamlovedog

-Deimos

I don't agree with that, i think it would be cool, because you're seeing how big boss views himself because of his actions.

It also deal with the serious issue, that military veterans face as a result of being wounded in combat.

And i wouldn't be the first time Kojima put symbolism in a MGS game that had fans scratching their heads at the time, only years later to get it and go "ahhhh, i see what he meant"

As i said, there can still be a real piece of shrapnel in his head, and him still imagining it becoming larger, to reflect the terrible crimes he commits.

I never implied that Kojima put in because it looks cool.

lol, Kojima thinking the horn looks cool is obviously a major reason it's there, I didn't mean you were implying it. I guess we can agree to disagree here.

Anth0ny

if I got worked up every time someone said one of my favourite games was awful, I'd be very worked up

it's best to just ignore these people

Guys, how many times have you read something or heard someone say that mgs1 is a classic and one of the greatest games of all time? For me countless. I think it's legacy is cemented. The fact is that the series gets a lot of praise. Most people remember the games as being great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom