• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldLogos

Banned

First off thanks for taking the time to address all my points - love being able to debate rationally about this sensitive subject a lot of people jump to conclusions about.

I don't really disagree with anything you just put forth. I think you're right in that applying the 'waiting' characteristic to The End sort of defeats that line of sexist argument. Of course its in EVA's nature to be deceptive because shes a spy, and that it being a sexist trait is sort of mitigated by the fact that she actually gets one over on the boss (kind of).

Though, playing devil's advocate as well, I think one can argue that her methods (LOOK AT MAH BOOBS SNEK) belay negative gender stereotypes (women can only be powerful when taking advantage of their greatest asset - their body) because it isn't her intelligence, cunning or skill that defeats snake, its her breasts. Certain schools of feminism look at this type of 'using ones body to further yourself' as empowering, and while i'm not one to say you can't make that argument, I don't like to.

Anyways, while i think this article has a bunch of problems, it definitely changed my mind about some things. I've gotten on the topic of sexism in MGS before and I used to always defend it with something like "Well Snake and the games are heavily influenced by action movies of the 80s and 90s where - because of a period of 'remasculinization' (thanks film school!) of the male protagonist in film following more 'soft' male leads of the 60s and 70s - all of these sexist tendencies were normative. View it like a cheesy 80s B-movie and don't get so offended"

MGSV: TPP is the most 80s action movie-esque game yet, so I almost expect nothing to change (as much as i WANT to be ashamed of my words and deeds, i'm really doubting i will), but the fact is that it's not the 80s anymore, it's 2015. And, IMHO, if videogames are going to grow as an entertainment medium and art form - Kojima being one of the early people to really push it there - game makers ought to not only get with the times on social issues, but actively seek to subvert patriarchal tropes with 'better' representation of women.

edit: Also just saw your post from June about the literary references and it made me think: Should we do a MGS Gaf book club?

Error1355

game makers ought to not only get with the times on social issues, but actively seek to subvert patriarchal tropes with 'better' representation of women.

Meh, I just want to have fun playing a game and enjoy a wild but crazy story ride. Not everything needs to be for some greater social good.

Venom Fox

Banned
she shurfife
You just reminded me.

What do you guys think is going on with Paz in the E3 2015 trailer?

It can't be a flash back because Big Boss and Ocelot are their with her.

Android maybe? Or she just didn't die, the bomb wasn't in her after all and the explosion actually came from somebody blowing the chopper up.

Or

GZ was just a VR training simulation for Grey Fox? lol.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
You just reminded me.

Android maybe? Or she just didn't die, the bomb wasn't in her after all and the explosion actually came from somebody blowing the chopper up.

Or

Paz is a clone of
The Boss

Book it.

OldLogos

Banned
Meh, I just want to have fun playing a game and enjoy a wild but crazy story ride. Not everything needs to be for some greater social good.

Nothing wrong with that. I hope no one here thinks I'm a feminazi or anything - i probably won't ever bring up the subject again. It's just my opinion that a lot of these tropes damage the collective consciousness and we'll only progress as a culture when they are addressed and subverted.

Venom Fox

Banned
Nothing wrong with that. I hope no one here thinks I'm a feminazi or anything - i probably won't ever bring up the subject again. It's just my opinion that a lot of these tropes damage the collective consciousness and we'll only progress as a culture when they are addressed and subverted.
OldLogos
A Real Feminazi

Today, 07:42 PM

Lol

Loakum

Banned
Time and again the community thread was ruled by a foreign moderator. When the thread was still in its early days, we lost many native posters: the bedrock for any developing community. Our community, our brothers, our faces, our identity... everything was stolen from us.

In the moderators eyes, the greatest symbiotic parasite the community's ever known isn't microbial, it's linguistic. Words are what keep discussion, our thread, alive.

Free the thread, not by taking men's accounts, but by taking their thread privileges.

With this, they'lI rid the thread of infestation, sans lingua franca, the community will be torn asunder... and then, it shall be free.

The chain of retaliation is what will truly bind this community together as one.

Les Sn4kes Terrible. Zero called it.

*hits Dawg in the nose with an rolled up newspaper*

Great post..Mutt!

You just reminded me.

Or

paz

becomes

naomi hunter

then dies in ground zeroes recreated mission "PSEUDO HISTORICAL MISSIONS"

then is back alived again

this time as..

THE BOSS

then Big Boss wakes up at the hospital, walks outside, sees Old Snake at the graveyard ready to pull the trigger and we see the ending of MGS4 again from Big Boss' perspective

the end

Dawg

*hits Dawg in the nose with an rolled up newspaper*

Great post..Mutt!

Thanks...

and rest in peace

200_s.gif

Betty

Banned
You just reminded me.

Or

Paz is
Chico.

Shy

And of course nobody of you haters (Dawg, Shy, Infinity Patriot, GHound) could answer my fucking question.

I will ask one more time, I'll even put it in to make it more clear for you guys.

You're an incredibly rude person aren't you.
Why is it that ONLY YongYea gets all the hate when people like Metal Gear Informer or MGN do EXACTLY the same shit?
So not only are you rude, you're also bloody presumptuous. I never once said i liked Leo's theories did i. ?
i like Leo as a person, but i don't like his theories, i feel he's too literal, way to quick to jump the gun and overlooks a more simple and real world explanation to some of the things he is saying sometimes.

I don't go to Metal Gear Informer, so i couldn't tell you about them.

Now how about you tell me why i'm the worst metal gear fan. ?

brau

Was thinking of picking one of these up; how long does the battery last?

Here... this is a good breakdown

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews...n-gold-wireless-stereo-headset-1229917/review

Sony promises eight hours of battery life from a charge via its micro USB port, which you can link to the front of your PlayStation console during downtime. Our testing matched up well with the estimate, allowing for a few meaty gaming and film-viewing sessions before needing a charge. You'll need to be sure to flick the power switch off if you want to avoid battery drain once done playing, however.

Also.. if you have a long enough cable, you can run them as wired if they are running low. Or just take a break, charge and do something for 20 mins.. to find them ready again. At least that is what i do.

They are also compatible with my pc. So sometimes i'll plug them into my tower just because.

Here... this is a good breakdown

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews...n-gold-wireless-stereo-headset-1229917/review

Also.. if you have a long enough cable, you can run them as wired if they are running low. Or just take a break, charge and do something for 20 mins.. to find them ready again. At least that is what i do.

They are also compatible with my pc. So sometimes i'll plug them into my tower just because.
I do that to. I have the Golds and the Silver and I plug them in when the Golds need to be charged.

Shy

He apologised for not sourcing information before but now he always does it.
That's good of him to do that.
Haven't posted in here yet - huge Metal Gear fan. Beat and played each of them around 5-9 times depending on the entry, except for one title, which I'm currently going through for my second time (the first time being when it was released) and one of the most underappreciated titles in the series outside of the fanbase: VR Missions.

Still so good!
Welcome new person, hope you have a great time here.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
First off thanks for taking the time to address all my points - love being able to debate rationally about this sensitive subject a lot of people jump to conclusions about.

Right back at ya. I love a poster that reads before replying. :D

I don't really disagree with anything you just put forth. I think you're right in that applying the 'waiting' characteristic to The End sort of defeats that line of sexist argument. Of course its in EVA's nature to be deceptive because shes a spy, and that it being a sexist trait is sort of mitigated by the fact that she actually gets one over on the boss (kind of).

Though, playing devil's advocate as well, I think one can argue that her methods (LOOK AT MAH BOOBS SNEK) belay negative gender stereotypes (women can only be powerful when taking advantage of their greatest asset - their body) because it isn't her intelligence, cunning or skill that defeats snake, its her breasts. Certain schools of feminism look at this type of 'using ones body to further yourself' as empowering, and while i'm not one to say you can't make that argument, I don't like to.

Whilst I don't think EVA's deceptiveness in-and-of-itself is an issue of gender, I agree that her body being the main "tool" with which to express it is another issue.

With MGS3, Kojima was writing a big bold love letter to the 60s Bond/Guns of the Navarrone era of action/adventure films, and those kind of gender stereotypes are pretty fundamental. Even so, that's no excuse.

Playing with archetypes is something that Kojima is a dab hand at. He was smart enough to invert the Bond archetype by having him oblivious to sex and sexuality, so you would've thought he'd have done something with the game's Femme Fatale without much of a stretch. As much as I love the game, it's definitely a missed opportunity.

Anyways, while i think this article has a bunch of problems, it definitely changed my mind about some things. I've gotten on the topic of sexism in MGS before and I used to always defend it with something like "Well Snake and the games are heavily influenced by action movies of the 80s and 90s where - because of a period of 'remasculinization' (thanks film school!) of the male protagonist in film following more 'soft' male leads of the 60s and 70s - all of these sexist tendencies were normative. View it like a cheesy 80s B-movie and don't get so offended"

Film School buddies (well, Visual Communication majoring in film, but still)!

Yeah, I agree. That line of thinking only goes so far before I get to the point where I'm asking myself whether that's worth perpetuating the same mistakes his influences have made.

MGSV: TPP is the most 80s action movie-esque game yet, so I almost expect nothing to change (as much as i WANT to be ashamed of my words and deeds, i'm really doubting i will), but the fact is that it's not the 80s anymore, it's 2015. And, IMHO, if videogames are going to grow as an entertainment medium and art form - Kojima being one of the early people to really push it there - game makers ought to not only get with the times on social issues, but actively seek to subvert patriarchal tropes with 'better' representation of women.

Couldn't agree more. Considering the lofty themes seemingly at play in TPP, it'll be interesting how the gender side of things plays out. I think there's an argument to be made for GZ proving that he can actually write. How it dealt with Paz may even hold up under scrutiny, even if it skirts the edge.

edit: Also just saw your post from June about the literary references and it made me think: Should we do a MGS Gaf book club?

That's a great idea, although I fear I'd never finish the unabridged Moby Dick in 50 days. I've got a kid and a video game addiction to feed! Christ, I still have to finish that article... :D

Sure. Nowt wrong with that. We're just chatting.

MGS being a major series that has had one eye firmly on political and social issues throughout its history means it comes under the microscope more than most. Kojima's a smart dude who clearly thinks things through in a lot of detail, so some peeps may be perturbed if they think that he hasn't considered other aspects and question why.

To be fair though, good gender representation and fun aren't mutually exclusive. ;)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

My theory (forgive the repeat post, bad habit)?

BB sees Paz sitting there in the medical bay and she's just like she was back in PW.

As he watches, things about her start to change: scars start to appear, her school clothes become an orange boiler suit, her hair falls out, her gut cuts open of its own accord. This isn't what he remembers. She turns to him, says "There is... another..." and she explodes in brilliant light.

Kaz's hand reaches for Big Boss' shoulder. "Hey, you okay, Boss? You look kind of pale."

Boss shakes his head. "Yesh, it's nufing." he says, "I'll surfyfe."

Then they kiss.

My theory (forgive the repeat post, bad habit)?

BB sees Paz sitting there in the medical bay and she's just like she was back in PW.

As he watches, things about her start to change: scars start to appear, her school clothes become an orange boiler suit, her hair falls out, her gut cuts open of its own accord. This isn't what he remembers. She turns to him, says "There is... another..." and she explodes in brilliant light.

Kaz's hand reaches for Big Boss' shoulder. "Hey, you okay, Boss? You look kind of pale."

Boss shakes his head. "....."

Then they kiss.

FTFY

JayEH

You just reminded me.

Or

I was thinking it was just a hallucination. I mean we've seen a character
Volgin
show up that has to obviously be illusion so it wouldn't surprise me if throughout the game there is just a bunch of hallucination. She also still has fresh blood and the scars from the emergency surgery which wouldn't make sense during the time period of the game so my guess it's just Boss imagining her if she was a bit older.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm calling it now, Codetalker knew The Boss during WW2.

Holy shit... What if one of the levels is a flashback to the Normandy Invasion?!

I need to lie down. I'm too excited about this damn game.

Chinner

Banned
don't get the cult that surrounds yeayong, seems a little unhealthy to obsess over a narcissist who regurgitates material stolen from other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom