• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldLogos

Banned
Couldn't agree more. Considering the lofty themes seemingly at play in TPP, it'll be interesting how the gender side of things plays out. I think there's an argument to be made for GZ proving that he can actually write. How it dealt with Paz may even hold up under scrutiny, even if it skirts the edge.

The term "skirts the edge" is perfect here. Yeah I really like the darker narrative that GZ and TPP are going for. I'm of the belief that the
rape tape
adds an element to Skullface's character that I hope to be expounded on in TPP: a complete understanding but total lack of sympathy towards the human condition in favor of cold, hard realism (juxtaposed with BB who has nothing but sympathy and care for his fellow people [read:soldiers] and is a bit of an idealist [you really think the world is gonna be cool with your oil rig mercenary nation?}).

The most damning question one can raise to this tape is, "Why is it there? And could there have been something else to give the same effect?" When you look at it in this light though, it starts to get hard to defend it. SF could have had Chico beat her, or some other form of torture, and the idea that SF is a master torturer would be established. Under this line of questioning, i don't feel like my own answer holds that well, and it's the sort of thing that we'll have to wait until TPP to see how it plays out.

MGS being a major series that has had one eye firmly on political and social issues throughout its history means it comes under the microscope more than most. Kojima's a smart dude who clearly thinks things through in a lot of detail, so some peeps may be perturbed if they think that he hasn't considered other aspects and question why.

This is something that a lot of us, I think, should realize when we start talking to people who shit on the series for its problems. Kojima tries really hard to construct a grand narrative that argues for and against a lot of political and ethical ideologies. He's a pedagogue when it comes to his beliefs - nothing wrong with that, most auteurs are - but anytime you want someone else to believe what you believe, you're opening yourself up to all forms of criticism.

Look at Bill Cosby. The whole reason the judge released his damning testimony about drugging women was because he has, multiple times, stood on a soapbox and preached about morality. If you consider yourself a moralist, you better be able to back that shit up.

Back to Kojima. If you present yourself as a visionary (and a God) with a lot of opinions you think are right, people are going to attack every opinion you hold whether its being presented explicitly or subliminally.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
You shouldn't be enjoying this, you're next.

Newspaper-Blows-Into-Dogs-Face.gif

Shy

Sn4ke Not only do you insult me twice, i answered your question. And you don't even have the common decency to reply to me.

Sn4ke_911

Sn4ke Not only do you insult me twice, i answered your question. And you don't even have the common decency to reply to me.

Oh i insult you? aww how did i?

qx0jpzlagjuh.gif

Because i said Yong haters are the worst Metal Gear fans? that really insulted you? :lol jeez dude.

I did not reply to your post because im fucking done with this topic, do me a favor and stop bringing this in here again, everyone moved on already.

Kindekuma

Banned
Oh i insult you? aww how did i?

qx0jpzlagjuh.gif

Because i said Yong haters are the worst Metal Gear fans? that really insulted you? :lol jeez dude.

I did not reply to your post because im fucking done with this topic, do me a favor and stop bringing this in here again, everyone moved on already.

What if, now hear me out here, what if there are people who don't like Yong and there are some that do? Some people like PythonSelkian, some don't. And that's okay! No need to be so salty to each other, eh lads?

What if, now hear me out here, what if there are people who don't like Yong and there are some that do? Some people like PythonSelkian, some don't. And that's okay! No need to be so salty to each other, eh lads?

It's not OK to not like PythonSelkan, though. Like, if you don't, you're just wrong.

iAoJ0e7rPh3Om.gif

Sn4ke_911

Exactly, that's what im trying to say the whole time. If you don't like YongYea it's totally fine with me but stop talking shit about him everytime someone posts a new video of him, it gets really annoying.

Chinner

Banned
YEAAAYONNNG HERE

IN MGSVS AMAZON LISTING IT STATES THAT SNAKE IS BACK!

WILL DAVID HAYTER RETURN?

PLEASE COMMENT AND FAVORITE IF YOU LIKE

YEAAAYOONG OUT

Shy

Yes, and don't pretend you did meant it in a insulting manner either.
You also haven't told in what way i'm the worst either.
I did not reply to your post because im fucking done with this topic,
LMAO. So let me get this straight. You demand i answer your "fucking question" and when i do, you just throw up your arms and i go "i'm fucking done" and walk away, without responding to anything i said. Really. ?

JayEH

LMAO. So let me get this straight. You demand i answer your "fucking question" and when i do, you just throw up your arms and i go "i'm fucking done" and walk away, without responding to anything i said. Really. ?

Just ignore him. He does this type of stuff a lot.

Sn4ke_911

Check back a few pages, i said everything i had to say about this whole thing.

Just ignore him. He does this type of stuff a lot.

I could say something now but i'll drop it for the sake of this community thread.

Sn4ke_911

I already checked those posts, and none them directly address any of the points i made, which you specifically asked me to answer, which i did.

Oh boy.

So what answer do you want here?

Now how about you tell me why i'm the worst metal gear fan. ?

Just say it and i will type it.

Exactly.

Like a good friend of mine once said: If it was current gen only, it would easily be 120 FPS on PS4! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡ °)

Hahahaha the funny thing is some people thought i was serious :lol

Never change gram.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The term "skirts the edge" is perfect here. Yeah I really like the darker narrative that GZ and TPP are going for. I'm of the belief that the
rape tape
adds an element to Skullface's character that I hope to be expounded on in TPP:

You see, I think that's the starting point for why a lot of people took issue with it. It's an old trope that reduces rape to a signifier of another (in this case, male) character's evil, rather than treating it as an issue itself for the character who has suffered or dealing with the repercussions to her.

Buuuut...

The most damning question one can raise to this tape is, "Why is it there? And could there have been something else to give the same effect?" When you look at it in this light though, it starts to get hard to defend it. SF could have had Chico beat her, or some other form of torture, and the idea that SF is a master torturer would be established. Under this line of questioning, i don't feel like my own answer holds that well, and it's the sort of thing that we'll have to wait until TPP to see how it plays out.

So, I was having this same discussion with a few folk here a month back, where I raised the point I made above and something not too far off what you said above.

Someone posted this great article by Rich Stanton covering everything you and I are talking about. He's hand-wringing in exactly the same way. It totally opened my eyes to why that tape was necessary. Yes, it is a plot device to highlight how much of cold bastard Skullface is but it's also Kojima acting the pedagogue again (as you put it) without (for once) him screaming it from the rooftops. The game and the article made me aware of horrors that I would've been otherwise oblivious to, for good or ill.

a complete understanding but total lack of sympathy towards the human condition in favor of cold, hard realism (juxtaposed with BB who has nothing but sympathy and care for his fellow people [read:soldiers] and is a bit of an idealist [you really think the world is gonna be cool with your oil rig mercenary nation?}).

Sorry for cutting up your reply! That's a great way to put it.

You making that comparison with Skullface's methods and ideology, raises an interesting and wholly tangential question: In PO and PW, Big Boss kidnaps soldiers and gets them to join him. We've seen what Skullface does to people, but we've never actually seen how Big Boss deals with people "behind closed doors".

This is something that a lot of us, I think, should realize when we start talking to people who shit on the series for its problems. Kojima tries really hard to construct a grand narrative that argues for and against a lot of political and ethical ideologies. He's a pedagogue when it comes to his beliefs - nothing wrong with that, most auteurs are - but anytime you want someone else to believe what you believe, you're opening yourself up to all forms of criticism.

Look at Bill Cosby. The whole reason the judge released his damning testimony about drugging women was because he has, multiple times, stood on a soapbox and preached about morality. If you consider yourself a moralist, you better be able to back that shit up.

Back to Kojima. If you present yourself as a visionary (and a God) with a lot of opinions you think are right, people are going to attack every opinion you hold whether its being presented explicitly or subliminally.

100% agreed.

So, how's the rest of the thread goi--

giphy.gif

Have you guys noticed that the Uragan-5 isn't non-lethal like in GZ? So maybe even lethal/non-lethal customization options for each weapon/specific weapons.

Isn't this her in the barrel, from Peace Walker ?
barrelwzksi.png

The Mammal and Reptile pods looked the same didn't they? It could be an all new pod. Pretty weird to see that back, what could it mean?
And what's the deal with Paz? Did Diamond Dogs find her floating in the ocean and they're going to put a bomb in her and send her back to Cipher or what.

So, does anyone know who the new V.A. is for Zero?

I've seen good some suggestions but I can't remember what they are, it's not fucking David Bowie though.

Exactly.

Like a good friend of mine once said: If it was current gen only, it would easily be 120 FPS on PS4! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡ °)

Yeah but that's nonsense. The framerate on new consoles hugely benefits from this game being based on last gen consoles that will struggle to hit 30fps.

i am surprised that even tho mgs 1 plays like its sub 30 fps it is locked 30

#wizards

#datkojima

I've only played it at 25fps except the PC demo where I was wondering why everything's moving too fast.

Venom Fox

Banned
What's going on guys?

I walk back in and there's fighting, my names been changed and I Loakum has been banned?

WTF

Edit:
The Mammal and Reptile pods looked the same didn't they? It could be an all new pod. Pretty weird to see that back, what could it mean?
And what's the deal with Paz? Did Diamond Dogs find her floating in the ocean and they're going to put a bomb in her and send her back to Cipher or what.

That was genuinely fucking funny.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

They're totally launching JD into space. :)

I've seen some suggestions but I can't remember what they are, it's not fucking David Bowie though.

I don't think it's actually Bowie but he does have little Bowie-esque inflections. Must be from Bromley.

Shy

Oh boy.

So what answer do you want here?
No no no, you don't get to pull the that "i don't know what you're on about, stop over reacting" card when you make posts like this.
And of course nobody of you haters (Dawg, Shy, Infinity Patriot, GHound) could answer my fucking question.

I will ask one more time, I'll even put it in to make it more clear for you guys.

Why is it that ONLY YongYea gets all the hate when people like Metal Gear Informer or MGN do EXACTLY the same shit?

I was just answering what you were asking.
Just say it and i will type it.
No, how about you tell me, as you are so instant on any one who dislikes youngyea's videos are "are the worst metal gear fans" or is it just an empty insult you can't back up. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom