• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoss1

Watched this earlier today, I remember thinking that's as good as games are gonna get back when MGS2 was released, good times.
As someone who was going into MGS2 blind, it was phenomenal. I didn't even know what it was about, or this franchise had even existed. Borrowed it from a friend who didn't even care for it so I said what the hell. Never ever expected that it would become not only my favorite MGS of all time, but my favorite game of all time. The reason I believe I didn't react negatively to the switcharoo is because I never played MGS and didn't have much of an attachment to Snake, but going back now after playing majority of the series I can see why there was an outrage.

And yes, I'm aware you're referring to it from a technical standpoint.

-Deimos

As someone who was going into MGS2 blind, it was phenomenal. I didn't even know what it was about, or this franchise had even existed. Borrowed it from a friend who didn't even care for it so I said what the hell. Never ever expected that it would become not only my favorite MGS of all time, but my favorite game of all time. The reason I believe I didn't react negatively to the switcharoo is because I never played MGS and didn't have much of an attachment to Snake, but going back now after playing majority of the series I can see why there was an outrage.

Pretty much how I got into Metal Gear. Saw MGS2's awesome cover at a friend's house and he said it was "just some shooting game" when I asked about it. Him offering me the game was a life-changing moment.

The MGS3 prototype sneaking suit is so good. It might just edge out the MGS2 and PW ones for me.
I think so. The original source was one of those websites which lists achievements, if I remember correctly.
That could explain why there was no platinum trophy then

Edit: does anyone know how to tranq kill the end early? Can it be done with the mk22?

Anth0ny

NYR94

Ground Zeroes Aiming Analysis

Might be interesting to those who want to see a geometry-based breakdown of the aiming in Ground Zeroes (and presumably TPP) and how it compares to MGS4. The info would probably be very useful to MGO players as well.

H3njaZR.jpg

Rajang

I've finished main mission in GZ and as I was excited about TPP - now I'm super fucking excited!!!1 :D

Gameplay, graphics, sounds: everything's perfect as always in MGS game but it was the last cutscene that has blown me away.
I'll cry the tears of joy when I insert the disc on 1st September. I'm not going to work the next day for sure.

morty

Neo Member
No, they're just normal aviator glasses that have sentimental value to Kaz, as well as symbolic to his character.

Oh, I seem to have remembered Kaz having bloody eye sockets when Big Boss
rescues him in the trailers. Turns out he's just got very dark bruising
around the eyes. I know how stupid it is thinking that just a pair
of glasses can help a blind man see, but ... really with someone like Quiet
going all Nightcrawler AND running like the Flash AND whatever the heck
knows what else!

It would be a bold direction to take. It also shocks me to an extent that
"Revolver" Ocelot is on Big Boss's side of things (yet with a different voice
actor).

When I saw the metal arm, I was relieved. Much mmore practical than
the cheesy gimmick where Liquid's arm was transplanted onto Ocelot.

Oh, and I wanted to say my favorite concept from MGS 1 isn't the controller
and memory card trick from Mantis it instead that moment is when the Arms Tech
guy admits to having forgotten Meryly's radio frequency BUT recommmends you look
at the back of the jewel case. People who bought the game used or pirated it have been
boned ever since. :D

Ground Zeroes Aiming Analysis

Might be interesting to those who want to see a geometry-based breakdown of the aiming in Ground Zeroes (and presumably TPP) and how it compares to MGS4. The info would probably be very useful to MGO players as well.

H3njaZR.jpg

I guess this explains why I was pretty good in MGO/MGS4, and how aiming feels slightly different in MGSV.

I typically let the camera do the work, and line up my shots with the camera before aiming.

Quick question, When do games usually go gold?

I will drink a fine belgian beer when it goes gold to celebrate.

Probably Trippel Kalamiet or Delirium Tremens.

So tomorrow we finally get some new info on MGO, I can't wait till september 1st.

You have great taste my friend.

I try, beer and many other alcohols have been a passion of mine for some time.

Tripel Karmeliet from Bosteels Brewery every fucking day. Best tripel in the world.

I also brew beer myself, I am going to try and do some Belgian style beers this year since I typically do American/British style ales(along with historical reproductions of classic styles ).

I have this one British IPA(London's Burning, taken from the famous clash song) that I do that is post modern; classic brewing techniques and malt bill, with a modern touch of modern hops with classic varieties for an extremely rustic London export style IPA from the days of pirates that is also deceivingly modern. It has such a unique color too, yellowish orange, and very cloudy like a wheat beer and a hop nose not for the faint of heart.

I want to do a fruit lambic, a trippel, and a traditional monastic abbey ale or maybe a Quadrupel this year, but funds are not permitting thus far. :( I need a job but I can't work right now.

I'm playing MGS2 HD for the first time. I'd played it on PS2 multiple times but not for a few years. Am I misremembering or is the speed of the cutscenes in this game really off. At times it seems like Raidens throwing out dialogue at double speed.

Also is the La Li Lu Le Lo reference from Gurlukovich in the Tanker chapter new? I don't remember it from the original?

I'm playing MGS2 HD for the first time. I'd played it on PS2 multiple times but not for a few years. Am I misremembering or is the speed of the cutscenes in this game really off. At times it seems like Raidens throwing out dialogue at double speed.

Also is the La Li Lu Le Lo reference from Gurlukovich in the Tanker chapter new? I don't remember it from the original?

I'm jammin' through MGS2 at the moment myself at the moment. I've got the PS2 and HD copy here but off memory I don't think anything was changed to add clarity to the La Li Lu Le Lo. If you're going by lip movement, it hasn't tried to sync up too much on my end, I noticed it especially during the Fatman fight.

I've been tweeting my thoughts at the behest of my friend. I like MGS2 for it's technical wizardry (Props for that video) and it's ambition but find the sneaking extremely frustrating in this. It's my own fault for not finding the M9 sooner so I can drop guards but once you're spotted or cause any disturbance they're all over that strut. On more than one occasion I just let them do their thing and start over. It threw me off my tranquilizer game and I just started blasting away.

Which makes me want to ask how much killing does NeoGaf do in these games? I remember originally playing this and zzzzz-ing everyone I could, even bosses. I think on one sweep I killed more people in one minute than I did my entire run of MGS1 yesterday.

Venom Fox

Banned
Right guys, I need a new crew name for GTAO, I was in a very popular, professional crew called Vans but I want to leave and start my own.

I'm looking for it to be MGS themed and I'm thinking along the lines of "Mercenaries with loyalty" ETC.

Something with that kind of theme but not a complete rip off of Military without borders.

Edit: decided on something simple and plain.

projet de mercenaires

Yen

HIDEO_KOJIMA ‏@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN 37m37 minutes ago
What if The Disgust were in the Cobra Unit? A unique way of attack to disgust Snake?Player needs to irritate him til gets himself explode.

make u think

Disgust was a character/theme in Inside Out hence why Kojima is bringing this up

I feel fortunate to have played it without knowing about Raiden. I imagine people just getting into the series today probably have knowledge of it. It's my favorite game and I loved it before people started writing essays on it. I'm glad people are but, up until a couple years ago when all that started, there were still a lot of people who openly didn't like it. Now it's universally praised.
I'm jammin' through MGS2 at the moment myself at the moment. I've got the PS2 and HD copy here but off memory I don't think anything was changed to add clarity to the La Li Lu Le Lo. If you're going by lip movement, it hasn't tried to sync up too much on my end, I noticed it especially during the Fatman fight.

I've been tweeting my thoughts at the behest of my friend. I like MGS2 for it's technical wizardry (Props for that video) and it's ambition but find the sneaking extremely frustrating in this. It's my own fault for not finding the M9 sooner so I can drop guards but once you're spotted or cause any disturbance they're all over that strut. On more than one occasion I just let them do their thing and start over. It threw me off my tranquilizer game and I just started blasting away.

Which makes me want to ask how much killing does NeoGaf do in these games? I remember originally playing this and zzzzz-ing everyone I could, even bosses. I think on one sweep I killed more people in one minute than I did my entire run of MGS1 yesterday.
You're probably just rusty.
I've finished main mission in GZ and as I was excited about TPP - now I'm super fucking excited!!!1 :D

Gameplay, graphics, sounds: everything's perfect as always in MGS game but it was the last cutscene that has blown me away.
I'll cry the tears of joy when I insert the disc on 1st September. I'm not going to work the next day for sure.
Were you doing a marathon or are you playing GZ for the first time?

J.EM1

I feel fortunate to have played it without knowing about Raiden. I imagine people just getting into the series today probably have knowledge of it. It's my favorite game and I loved it before people started writing essays on it. I'm glad people are but, up until a couple years ago when all that started, there were still a lot of people who openly didn't like it. Now it's universally praised.
Same here. I remember just starting the Big Shell and going "what.. what is going on?! WHo is this guy?!" lol, good times. Wasn't until college when I replayed it where I truly begun to appreciate the genius behind it. I should really fire up the game this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom