• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kindekuma

Banned
I miss Cipher Cat.

tumblr_m3mti8PhYb1qdv2s8o1_500.gif

Banzai

A week from now it'll just be five more days until the game is a mere month away.
Finally found a game to kill time until then. Divinity: Original Sin, pretty fun with a friend.

Were you doing a marathon or are you playing GZ for the first time?
Yes, a marathon which ended with first GZ playthrough.
GZ is so different than the previous games thanks to smoothness of gameplay.

Sutherland is OK but Hayter talked more clearly, now I got to read the subs to understand because BB is mumbling sometimes. "She shurfifed" is the best :)

Gun Animal

I dont think mgs is a game that should be played online.
That's fair. The idea of tacked-on multiplayer modes for single-player focused games appeals to me because it gives you a space to play with the single-player mechanics A) With friends, B) against enemies harder than any AI is capable of producing and C) with limitless possibilities for new experiences because of the unpredictable nature of human players. That said, I'm aware that a multi-player mode isn't going to be ideally balanced if it wasn't the main focus. For me, things like MGO, GTAO, TLoUO etc. aren't really competitive multiplayer games so much as they are spaces to fuck around with the game systems.

edit: MGS4 didn't have a VR scenario mode like MGS1 and MGS2, and it's not something I really noticed until MGO2 went offline. Once MGO2 disappeared, there wasn't any mode in the game to play the abstract game of MGS4 without having to skip cutscene after cutscene about pants monkeys and gay vampires. I'm glad we're getting MGO3, but I also hope that there 's enough single-player content that it doesn't feel like the game is missing something when MGO3 inevitably goes offline within the next 5 years.

I feel fortunate to have played it without knowing about Raiden. I imagine people just getting into the series today probably have knowledge of it. It's my favorite game and I loved it before people started writing essays on it. I'm glad people are but, up until a couple years ago when all that started, there were still a lot of people who openly didn't like it. Now it's universally praised.

I always find this funny, because I read about it in the OPM review that had Raiden on the front cover :D

Gun Animal

Has anyone so far really made an attempt to figure out what the hell the purpose of the
earbud in Chico's chest was
in GZ? And in the E3 2015 trailer? I'd think there's some prevailing theories out there, but I haven't really seen any here, on the Snake Soup, MGSForums or any of the other forums I frequent. It can't be a complete mystery, can it? It must be based on something in the real world, right?

I'm jammin' through MGS2 at the moment myself at the moment. I've got the PS2 and HD copy here but off memory I don't think anything was changed to add clarity to the La Li Lu Le Lo. If you're going by lip movement, it hasn't tried to sync up too much on my end, I noticed it especially during the Fatman fight.

I've been tweeting my thoughts at the behest of my friend. I like MGS2 for it's technical wizardry (Props for that video) and it's ambition but find the sneaking extremely frustrating in this. It's my own fault for not finding the M9 sooner so I can drop guards but once you're spotted or cause any disturbance they're all over that strut. On more than one occasion I just let them do their thing and start over. It threw me off my tranquilizer game and I just started blasting away.

Which makes me want to ask how much killing does NeoGaf do in these games? I remember originally playing this and zzzzz-ing everyone I could, even bosses. I think on one sweep I killed more people in one minute than I did my entire run of MGS1 yesterday.

Cheers, further play has made me realise I don't remember as much as I thought I did so it's probably just my memory playing tricks on me.

Has anyone so far really made an attempt to figure out what the hell the purpose of the
earbud in Chico's chest was
in GZ? And in the E3 2015 trailer? I'd think there's some prevailing theories out there, but I haven't really seen any here, on the Snake Soup, MGSForums or any of the other forums I frequent. It can't be a complete mystery, can it? It must be based on something in the real world, right?
It's some kind of grotesque torture/ an early trial in Skull Faces "rid people of a common language" evil villainous plot. Language seems to be a major theme in MGS5 and earbuds plugged into bodily orrifices seems to reinforce those themes quite literally.

But lol at thinking it might exist in the real world in some capacity, but I cant blame you for thinking that, I mean even the Fulton recovery system really exists.

Cheers, further play has made me realize I don't remember as much as I thought I did so it's probably just my memory playing tricks on me.

I've forgotten a fair share of the first four, out of all three Snake Eater is a complete blur. I completed Sons of Liberty a few hours ago. I had a great tim with it and admit it makes more sense for me than it has before, creative decisions and all. Except Flamenco Vamp, that will never make sense. Ever.

Last time I played it I almost, kind of, sort of got what was going on but then it just dissipated.
The Patriots come off as a big brother Skynet this playthrough
, I can't even recall what the hell is going on in Guns of the Patriots so it'll be interesting to see exactly how much revision goes on with regards to Liquid and the Patriots.

For now, commencing operation Snake Eater.

mf.luder

I'm replaying GZ and trying to 100% it while waiting for TPP. Was it confirmed that doing the Mother Base stuff in the GZ app would do anything? I keep forgetting to use it while I'm playing but won't bother if it doesn't do anything.

Gun Animal

It's some kind of grotesque torture/ an early trial in Skull Faces "rid people of a common language" evil villainous plot. Language seems to be a major theme in MGS5 and earbuds plugged into bodily orrifices seems to reinforce those themes quite literally.

But lol at thinking it might exist in the real world in some capacity, but I cant blame you for thinking that, I mean even the Fulton recovery system really exists.

I'm not saying that I think cramming headphones into people's chests is something that has happened, I meant that I think the electrical and magnetic components of the earphone are being used for something other than their intended purpose of amplifying audio.

AudiOHM-chamber.jpg

Saying that's it's just symbolic feels like a cop-out, based on how it was framed in the E3 2015 trailer I'm sure there's more to it than that. For example how is it related to
the weird breasts that that african guy was growing? And was something similar being done to Chico?

I've forgotten a fair share of the first four, out of all three Snake Eater is a complete blur. I completed Sons of Liberty a few hours ago. I had a great tim with it and admit it makes more sense for me than it has before, creative decisions and all. Except Flamenco Vamp, that will never make sense. Ever.

Last time I played it I almost, kind of, sort of got what was going on but then it just dissipated.
The Patriots come off as a big brother Skynet this playthrough
, I can't even recall what the hell is going on in Guns of the Patriots so it'll be interesting to see exactly how much revision goes on with regards to Liquid and the Patriots.

For now, commencing operation Snake Eater.
My understanding of the Patriots when I first played MGS2 around 2006 is that they're meant to be a series of "memes" (ideas) within American culture that naturally evolved into a complex lifeform of sorts, taking Richard Dawkin's idea of Memetics and extrapolating the comparison between memes and genes to the absolute limit. That even if some people did "start" the "Patriots" years prior, the idea took on a mind and life of it's own, and that the GW AI was simply a medium for the "memetic" lifeform to communicate with "genetic" lifeforms directly.

Of course MGS4 completely erases most of those vague ideas in favor of weird fan-wank lore. I was re-reading Tim Roger's review of MGS4 yesterday and he describes the story as "Hideo Kojima's 'Springtime for Hitler'" and "Kingdom Hearts 2 minus the Disney and the Final Fantasy" and I agree with that sentiment more and more every time I revisit it.

wilsonda

To buy ps4 now or wait on the new revision... no confirmation of na release date has me worried, and all these retailers are offering great deals

Dawg

To buy ps4 now or wait on the new revision... no confirmation of na release date has me worried, and all these retailers are offering great deals

it's not like buying an "older" revision is so much worse. I doubt the differences will be that big. If you really want mechanical buttons tho, the new one has that.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
it's not like buying an "older" revision is so much worse. I doubt the differences will be that big. If you really want mechanical buttons tho, the new one has that.

What's a mechanical button?

Also, isn't the new model considerably quieter on the whole?

LD i know you're joking, but please don't say that again.

Cipher Cat was just misunderstood, that's all.

I dont think mgs is a game that should be played online.

I think the Invasions mode is a brilliant idea, honestly. It's a mode that lets you connect with others in a competitive and/or friendly environment while integrating with your progress within the game; just want to know more about the "user-generated missions." I'm sure this will be quite popular. MGO, on the other hand, well... I know better than to get my hopes up, but if it is supported well then maybe it has a chance of sticking around for more than a year. (Just gonna play it on PC since people will find ways of keeping it alive without a CFW PS4. XD)

OldLogos

Banned
I'm not saying that I think cramming headphones into people's chests is something that has happened, I meant that I think the electrical and magnetic components of the earphone are being used for something other than their intended purpose of amplifying audio.

I'm surprised no one has brought it up either. In my head, it's pretty simple:
Chico = Quiet

The process of turning one into a Skull is to remove their voice

And make em grow boobs:

Chico = Quiet

Rajang

I'm replaying GZ and trying to 100% it while waiting for TPP. Was it confirmed that doing the Mother Base stuff in the GZ app would do anything? I keep forgetting to use it while I'm playing but won't bother if it doesn't do anything.

Do you mean the Mother Base mini game? The minigame doesn't affect anything (GZ or TPP). Or do you mean the features? What you can do with the app is call Morpho to save time: pause the game, select a landing zone for Morpho with the app and then unpause, you'll save alot of time this way. Or you can just use it to display the map.

Dawg

What's a mechanical button?

Also, isn't the new model considerably quieter on the whole?

I hope it's Quiet. They always say that but you only really know the truth once you have it a few weeks/months.

Remember all those PS4 noise tests that made it look like the most silent console ever? People with airplane fans only started complaining a few weeks later.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Cipher Cat was just misunderstood, that's all.

Bollocks.

I think the Invasions mode is a brilliant idea, honestly. It's a mode that lets you connect with others in a competitive and/or friendly environment while integrating with your progress within the game; just want to know more about the "user-generated missions."

Yeah, it's almost like your designing a metal gear level. What's the user generated missions business?

I hope it's Quiet. They always say that but you only really know the truth once you have it a few weeks/months.

Remember all those PS4 noise tests that made it look like the most silent console ever? People with airplane fans only started complaining a few weeks later.

True, although I read somewhere (Pocket something-or-other via Eurogamer) that the minimum volume for an old model was 56db and the maximum for the new one is 54db.

Also, what are mechanical buttons...? Honestly, never heard of them. XD

Dawg

Also, what are mechanical buttons...? Honestly, never heard of them. XD

The current PS4 on/eject disc buttons work via "touch", you don't really "click" them... the newer model will have clicky buttons again IIRC.

Honestly can't wait on my new PS4. I'm glad the LE is the new revision!

brahs4vosc.jpg

I'm surprised no one has brought it up either. In my head, it's pretty simple:
Chico = Quiet

The process of turning one into a Skull is to remove their voice

And make em grow boobs:

Chico = Quiet
You serious? I don't get why so many people see these tumors as breasts... They're way too low for one thing, it's just supposed to be some weird growth.

Gun Animal

You serious? I don't get why so many people see these tumors as breasts... They're way too low for one thing, it's just supposed to be some weird growth.

They're symmetrical, vaguely resemble breasts and are shown right before (after?) the close up on the Skull's breasts, and as he pointed out the same guy seems to have had his voice box removed like Quiet presumably has. This is all in a trailer that was edited and released months after the Chico = Quiet theory became so huge that they actually addressed it on the KojiPro podcast.

We can't know yet if the theory is true, but we do know for sure, based on the reasons listed above, that we're at least meant to think it might be true.

Been saying this since the trailer was released.
They're symmetrical, vaguely resemble breasts and are shown right before (after?) the close up on the Skull's breasts, and as he pointed out the same guy seems to have had his voice box removed like Quiet presumably has. This is all in a trailer that was edited and released months after the Chico = Quiet theory became so huge that they actually addressed it on the KojiPro podcast.

We can't know yet if the theory is true, but we do know for sure, based on the reasons listed above, that we're at least meant to think it might be true.
He did that on purpose then because of the theory. But Kojima boob shots are to be expected.

Gun Animal

Anybody still trying to get one of those PS4 limited editions? They're up on GAME.co.uk now.

Nice. Anyone here know where the best place is to check if the Collector's Edition is open for pre-order again? Been checking Amazon, Target and Gamestop every day with no luck.

Been saying this since the trailer was released.

He did that on purpose then because of the theory. But Kojima boob shots are to be expected.

Yeah, there's a good chance of that. Hell, I'm pretty sure most of the prevailing fan theories are way off base atm, the trailers throw us off just as much as anything.

...and yeah, the boob shots. Kinda weird. Especially weird since the Boob Physics in TPP seem really old-fashioned compared to a lot of recent games like Arkham Knight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom