• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

J4g3r

I am one of the few that liked Raiden and Tidus.

I had mixed feeling about Raiden back when I first played MGS2, was of course mad that I wasn't playing as Snake.

**STORY SPOILERS**

But that all changed when
Snake tossed me that Stinger Missile Launcher.

"I'm counting on you"
4XJv4UI.png

Mifec

This may be a weird question, but if I decide to buy MGS V literally day one on PSN, rather than pre-order the night before, will it still be Day One Edition? While all the wording seems to say pre-order to get the Day One Edition, obviously calling it Day One Edition indicates you owned it on day one and thus reap the benefits.

I know other games like Sunset Overdrive and Final Fantasy Type-0 HD both still sold their Day One editions for several days after release and of course physical versions are still around days after release.

I think I'll buy MGS V using the PLAY 2015 PSN promo code that is usable all September for buying two PLAY 2015 titles (Journey and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture). Then might buy Mad Max and a sale item or two.
So far the only info we have is that you get the day one stuff on steam at launch without preordering. Idk if it's the same on consoles.

Mexen

I had mixed feeling about Raiden back when I first played MGS2, was of course mad that I wasn't playing as Snake.

**STORY SPOILERS**

But that all changed when
Snake tossed me that Stinger Missile Launcher.

"I'm counting on you"
4XJv4UI.png

Such feels. I remember having played as Solid Snake at my friend's house before I got my copy. When I did and I was in control of Raiden, I didn't mind him at first because I thought I'd be given control of Solid as soon as possible. Of course, I was wrong.

So how did I feel about Raiden? Like you, any negativity stemmed from not playing as Solid as opposed to hating the character of Raiden. I eventually got used to him and for reasons we all know now (or will find out), Raiden is a beloved character who's earned his place. Pity how he had to go about it but there you go.

OrochiJR

So I'm taking the first week of September off from work in order to marathon MGSV. I'll also go on video game-related internet blackout starting around mid-August in order to enjoy all the Hayter, Dr. Canavero, Gray Fox, Solid Snake and MG1 remake related twists unspoiled.

Any of you guys acting similarly paranoid in preparation of TPP?

Gun Animal

I'm pretty sure most of my distaste for Raiden has to do with Quintin Flynn's boarderline insulting performance, as when playing the japanese versions he sounds like as much of a badass as Snake.

Ryan_MSF

I'm pretty sure most of my distaste for Raiden has to do with Quintin Flynn's boarderline insulting performance, as when playing the japanese versions he sounds like as much of a badass as Snake.

In that respect then Quinton Flynn's performance better suits the character than the japanese counterpart. Raiden develops greatly during MGS2, and by the end of the game - all will become clear :)

Mexen

In that respect then Quinton Flynn's performance better suits the character than the japanese counterpart. Raiden develops greatly during MGS2, and by the end of the game - all will become clear :)

Ryan_MSF, I'm gonna have to agree with you, buddy.

bojie1986

So I'm taking the first week of September off from work in order to marathon MGSV. I'll also go on video game-related internet blackout starting around mid-August in order to enjoy all the Hayter, Dr. Canavero, Gray Fox, Solid Snake and MG1 remake related twists unspoiled.

Any of you guys acting similarly paranoid in preparation of TPP?

i'll start my blackout after gamescom.. also, i am expecting to get it before september 1 here in the middle east.

Gun Animal

Yes, I think there's an argument for that. If I were casting for Raiden and doing the voice direction, I'd aim for a voice that sounds awkward and out of place as a gun-toting secret agent, but eventually sounds comfortable as a sleek, modern samurai. MGS2 to me is partially about Raiden finding himself, becoming his own character rather than a poor imitation of someone else. Even his visual design feels off until he gets the katana that the rest of his look was clearly designed around. People complain about his design in MGS4 and MGR but that's clearly where the character was going from the beginning. He was always designed around his sword and always looked off without it.

Hey MG GAF. I thought about making a thread for this but I thought posting here might be more appropriate.

Am I crazy for wanting the PS3 version of Phantom Pain more than the "better" versions?

I have a perfectly capable PC that plays Ground Zeroes at good framerates, but I played Ground Zeroes on PS3 first and was totally OK with it; even after going back from the PC version the performance seems more than acceptable.

There are a few things that are swaying me with the PS3 version:
  1. I could have pretty much every relevant Metal Gear game on one platform. MG1&2, MGS1234, Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes, Phantom Pain
  2. Boxes are cool? Having a boxed PS3 copy makes more sense than a boxed PC version to me for some reason.
  3. I'm like totally impressed that it even runs on PS3, even if the framerate dips kinda hard sometimes. Here's this nearly photorealistic game engine and oh yeah it works great on that system from 2006.
  4. Something about 10 year lifecycles?
Yeah so would it be so crazy to get the PS3 version at/near launch and just wait for a steam sale for the PC version, pick that up, and replay it later? Or am I off my rocker.

Ryan_MSF

Hey MG GAF. I thought about making a thread for this but I thought posting here might be more appropriate.

Am I crazy for wanting the PS3 version of Phantom Pain more than the "better" versions?

I have a perfectly capable PC that plays Ground Zeroes at good framerates, but I played Ground Zeroes on PS3 first and was totally OK with it; even after going back from the PC version the performance seems more than acceptable.

There are two things that are swaying me with the PS3 version:
  1. I could have pretty much every relevant Metal Gear game on one platform. MG1&2, MGS1234, Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes, Phantom Pain
  2. Boxes are cool? Having a boxed PS3 copy makes more sense than a boxed PC version to me for some reason.
  3. I'm like totally impressed that it even runs on PS3, even if the framerate dips kinda hard sometimes. Here's this nearly photorealistic game engine and oh yeah it works great on that system from 2006.
Yeah so would it be so crazy to get the PS3 version at/near launch and just wait for a steam sale for the PC version, pick that up, and replay it later? Or am I off my rocker.

I guess it's personal preference but i can understand your reasoning for grabbing the PS3 version. I'd imagine in terms of MGO3 you'd have a bigger community on PS3, plus the added benefit of being able to play it on launch, having to wait 15 days if you're a huge fan means avoiding the internet for a whole two weeks in case of spoilers would royally suck.

I'm grabbing it on PS4 then will probably double-dip on PC for mods/4K at a later date, like you probably with a steam sale or something!

Gun Animal

I'm getting it on three plaforms (and possibly 2 PS4 copies) and I'm surr some people on here will be getting it on all 5 platforms so no, it's not crazy at all. Crazy would be buying the $1000 worth of play arts and revoltech figures being released for this game... which, yeah, I have all those ordered too. ×_×

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting it on three plaforms (and possibly 2 PS4 copies) and I'm surr some people on here will be getting it on all 5 platforms so no, it's not crazy at all. Crazy would be buying the $1000 worth of play arts and revoltech figures being released for this game... which, yeah, I have all those ordered too. ×_×

wow

I can see why you'd want every MGS on one console, but if I were you, I'd buy it on PC first and get the PS3 version second. Then again, the PC version drops two weeks after, so if you're gonna get both eventually it probably makes sense to just get the PS3 version first.

Welcome to all the new members! :)

Perfectly reasonable! No one here is gonna tell you you're off your rocker, mate, this is the Metal Gear community after all! ^_^ Also, one more benefit to the PS3 version - custom soundtracks; this feature was present in Ground Zeroes on PS3/X360 but absent from all other versions, so that's pretty neat!

Ya know what I wanna see

The Quiet scene in the desert

At night

O_O I will be smoking the hell out of that cigar to get a bunch of these scenes at night come to think of it

LD Senpai, do you think that scene in particular is bofore or after we fight her as a boss? :)

Brotherrrr! My guess would be after, but I haven't the slightest clue-- a thing I love about these trailers is that after about 4 or 5 hours worth of footage, we still don't have the context to put anything in place (except for the E3 2015 trailer extending a bit of what we have seen already)! What do you think?!

So how good is this looking for an unquestionable September 1st release? I wanna book the day off asap but don't want this getting delayed in typical fashion and I can't waive my holiday request in time.

bojie1986

Brotherrrr! My guess would be after, but I haven't the slightest clue-- a thing I love about these trailers is that after about 4 or 5 hours worth of footage, we still don't have the context to put anything in place (except for the E3 2015 trailer extending a bit of what we have seen already)! What do you think?!

yeah brother i am so glad the trailers we've seen so far has not spoiled us something that is major
(the mammal/AI pod maybe?)
. My guess for that scene is after we fight her the first time... she turns away waiting for a second battle maybe? haha.. But yeah, i expect some emotional cutscenes like the previous games. :)

Gun Animal

So how good is this looking for an unquestionable September 1st release? I wanna book the day off asap but don't want this getting delayed in typical fashion and I can't waive my holiday request in time.
A delay less than two months before release for a major title like this is almost unheard of, especially considering Kojima has said many times that he finds delays embarassing and prefers to avoid them as much as possible by waiting as long as possible to announce a release date---which was the case with MGSV. If you want to be safe though, just don't ask off until the game has officially gone gold, and don't expect the multiplayer to be functional until at least the 15th or so.

Mexen

Grabbing PS3 copy for similar reasons. Hopefully, Q1 2016, I'll get a PS4 + TPP (yes, I'm gonna own two copies even though I can almost hear XBox owners laughing)

Perfectly reasonable! No one here is gonna tell you you're off your rocker, mate, this is the Metal Gear community after all! ^_^ Also, one more benefit to the PS3 version - custom soundtracks; this feature was present in Ground Zeroes on PS3/X360 but absent from all other versions, so that's pretty neat!

Are you telling me that this:
https://youtu.be/XnAyReOpfIk
Is possible only on PS3/360? I'm so glad of being loyal to PS3 to the end :)

Does anyone know when this will be available for digital preorder or preload?

If you want to get the PC version you probably can't preorder and preload, they will probably handle it in the same way as they did with Ground Zeroes. This means that you will only be able to buy it after it has been released and there will be no preload.

Kindekuma

Banned
Are you telling me that this:
https://youtu.be/XnAyReOpfIk
Is possible only on PS3/360? I'm so glad of being loyal to PS3 to the end :)

Yep, last gen benefits.

If you want to get the PC version you probably can't preorder and preload, they will probably handle it in the same way as they did with Ground Zeroes. This means that you will only be able to buy it after it has been released and there will be no preload.

I believe Tora is talking to folks over at Valve to allow the preload option for MGSV. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom