• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

morty

Neo Member
MGS2 isn't so bad. I mean Raiden himself is pretty well characteried.

All through MGS1 you don't really get a sense of who he really is. What
he does do is wax poetic about the battle field. About what it means
to be a soldier. I can imagine plenty of soldiers returning home playing
the MGS series and agreeing with him.

He's the "Legendary Solid Snake" as Mei Ling says. He gets lonely and having
long conversations on codec with his support team or with the captives he
finds on his mission don't phase him.

But anyway, Raiden encapsulates at first the ultimate rookie. He freely
admits to having only experienced combat in simulations... in the freakin'
MGS: VR Missions for crying out loud! And there we have Snake himself becoming
the mentor. It's great that Raiden was brought in because I loved just to sitting
patiently while he & Rose talked about the status of their relationship or
how they met. Sure, I wanted to save, but it could wait.

BUT What the one thing I hate the most about MGS2 is making a comeback in force:
That Damn "Big Shel" setting! Its ugly. Home Depots are orange, the Big Shell's
exterior was orange.

Kindekuma

Banned
Games typically go gold a month before release. So TPP might be finished by this week or the next and then it's off for copies to be made and shipped out.

Exciting stuff!

LostAnkh

I had mixed feeling about Raiden back when I first played MGS2, was of course mad that I wasn't playing as Snake.

**STORY SPOILERS**

But that all changed when
Snake tossed me that Stinger Missile Launcher.

"I'm counting on you"
4XJv4UI.png
Man, Snake is dead, I just wanna play as Pliskin, he's cool. ;)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
BUT What the one thing I hate the most about MGS2 is making a comeback in force:
exterior was orange.

Orange Juice is orange too, and that shit is amazing.

Also, one more benefit to the PS3 version - custom soundtracks; this feature was present in Ground Zeroes on PS3/X360 but absent from all other versions, so that's pretty neat!

That is a shame... but considering the soundtrack we're getting with the game, I think I'll live :)

MGS2 isn't so bad. I mean Raiden himself is pretty well characteried.

All through MGS1 you don't really get a sense of who he really is. What
he does do is wax poetic about the battle field. About what it means
to be a soldier. I can imagine plenty of soldiers returning home playing
the MGS series and agreeing with him.

He's the "Legendary Solid Snake" as Mei Ling says. He gets lonely and having
long conversations on codec with his support team or with the captives he
finds on his mission don't phase him.

But anyway, Raiden encapsulates at first the ultimate rookie. He freely
admits to having only experienced combat in simulations... in the freakin'
MGS: VR Missions for crying out loud! And there we have Snake himself becoming
the mentor. It's great that Raiden was brought in because I loved just to sitting
patiently while he & Rose talked about the status of their relationship or
how they met. Sure, I wanted to save, but it could wait.

exterior was orange.
I love that Mother Base resembles Big Shell. But they said you can change the color.

Shy

If you want to get the PC version you probably can't preorder and preload, they will probably handle it in the same way as they did with Ground Zeroes. This means that you will only be able to buy it after it has been released and there will be no preload.
TPP is different beast altogether. it's gonna be around 20 to 40 GB, they'll allow preload on PC, i reckon.

morty

Neo Member
TPP is different beast altogether. it's gonna be around 20 to 40 GB, they'll allow preload on PC, i reckon.

NOoooo! I have a DSL connection that is slow. I might get the 360 version considering how I had this great PSN account that Sony screwed me out of. ...

Shy

Don't say that... I want 80 GB of metal gear goodness
LOL. i don't mind, i have enough space ........ barely.
NOoooo! I have a DSL connection that is slow. I might get the 360 version considering how I had this great PSN account that Sony screwed me out of. ...
Don't worry, if it's like other pre-loads, it'll let you do it a least a week before release.

I can already imagine them making a Clash of Clans like Mother Base building game.

I'd play this, despite my hatred of Clash of Clans. There should be a mobile app popping up soon though, like the GZ one, where you have your map on your phone and can call in chopper/support items. I'm curious if they'll add more functionality though, giving it all the features the iDroid has like assigning personnel and such.

mf.luder

I'd play this, despite my hatred of Clash of Clans. There should be a mobile app popping up soon though, like the GZ one, where you have your map on your phone and can call in chopper/support items. I'm curious if they'll add more functionality though, giving it all the features the iDroid has like assigning personnel and such.

Has it been confirmed that they're launching a mobile app for TPP? I assume they are, hopefully it's a little less clunky than the GZ app.

Has it been confirmed that they're launching a mobile app for TPP? I assume they are, hopefully it's a little less clunky than the GZ app.

We'd have probably heard about that if Kojima station was still a thing, but alas we just have to make guesses instead. It was definitely the original plan but I don't think they talked much about it since 2013.

Are you telling me that this:
https://youtu.be/XnAyReOpfIk
Is possible only on PS3/360? I'm so glad of being loyal to PS3 to the end :)

Yup. Can also be hacked into the PC version by replacing one of the tracks iirc.

Replaying Snake Eater and not yet a CQC body slamming machine. Makes Ground Zeroes that more impressive for how streamlined the process is. It takes some getting used to the sensors as well. I think on release I relied solely on the motion detector, which really gets you nowhere in situations like the scuttle after you met Eva.

Currently moving through Ponizovje. after swimming around using my sonar like a snake eating submarine I sniped The End for the trophy and reset it to battle him proper. I think after the previous comments and response to an earlier comment I'll skip MGS4 and move right onto Peace Walker. I'd like to experience first hand the context for Ground Zeroes.

I imagine
with her influence within the Patriots, Para-Medic has propagated the entire 60+ year span of Godzilla movies.

Shy

I now have a 100% percent PC save.
I still need to do my PS4 one, that whole marking all enemies is a pain in the bum, well, that and getting an S on the hard version of jamais vu.

Shy

Well.. Not directly anyway. shooting the barrel under the first one works, and then shoot the snatcher between the tents as he radios in.
The way i do the beginning bit is, run to the tower, tranq the guard, shoot the tent snatcher in the head, shoot the spotlight guard in the head from the tent area, run behind the gurad beside the forkilft, pop him in the head, then run up to the human guard by the command building doors and slam him to the ground.

Gun Animal

Of course the companion app is still planned, MGSV:GZ and MGSV:TPP's design makes so much more sense when taking the companion app into consideration. You're supposed to play the actual game at home, then manage your mother base and listen to audio tapes when you're on the go! Whoever does the OT for TPP should make sure to have a section encouraging players to download the companion app, imho. The whole design of the game really doesnt work as well without it.

Palpable

Was re-watching the E3 gameplay demo and was looking at the pictures more closely. Looks like Mother Base zoo has vegetation etc too. Pretty cool stuff.

I'm still sour after hearing we cannot choose the locations of new Mother Base platforms as they become available. I guess it's only a forward operating base feature. Shit dicks.

Shy

I'm still sour after hearing we cannot choose the locations of new Mother Base platforms as they become available. I guess it's only a forward operating base feature. Shit dicks.
I'm still slightly sour because we can't invade other player mother base, and only their forward operating base. I WANT TO JACK YOUR SHIT IN YOUR HOUSE, DAMM IT. :p

neoemonk

Hey MG GAF. I thought about making a thread for this but I thought posting here might be more appropriate.

Am I crazy for wanting the PS3 version of Phantom Pain more than the "better" versions?

I have a perfectly capable PC that plays Ground Zeroes at good framerates, but I played Ground Zeroes on PS3 first and was totally OK with it; even after going back from the PC version the performance seems more than acceptable.

There are a few things that are swaying me with the PS3 version:
  1. I could have pretty much every relevant Metal Gear game on one platform. MG1&2, MGS1234, Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes, Phantom Pain
  2. Boxes are cool? Having a boxed PS3 copy makes more sense than a boxed PC version to me for some reason.
  3. I'm like totally impressed that it even runs on PS3, even if the framerate dips kinda hard sometimes. Here's this nearly photorealistic game engine and oh yeah it works great on that system from 2006.
  4. Something about 10 year lifecycles?
Yeah so would it be so crazy to get the PS3 version at/near launch and just wait for a steam sale for the PC version, pick that up, and replay it later? Or am I off my rocker.

Thanks for posting this because I have the rest of the games on PS3 as well and really thought I was being a weirdo for wanting to get Phantom Pain there too.

Let's not forget Revengeance.

Sushigod7

I'm still slightly sour because we can't invade other player mother base, and only their forward operating base. I WANT TO JACK YOUR SHIT IN YOUR HOUSE, DAMM IT. :p

I guess I didn't realize this but FOB in Multiplayer what will be what exactly? Just your main platform or a completely different area? I googled not seeing specifics.

Shy

I guess I didn't realize this but FOB in Multiplayer what will be what exactly? Just your main platform or a completely different area? I googled not seeing specifics.
From what i understand, it's a mini base that isn't apart of your main motherbase, you supplies go there be fore they transfer to motherbase, i believe. The haven't been much information on it. sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom