• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skullface

Nanomachines. :p

I'll probably buy a used copy or watch YouTube videos.

I'll almost certainly buy a used copy. Months after its released so as to get the reduced price and to stick it to Konami. But I will buy it eventually to experience what ever it turns out to be for myself.

Don't take this the wrong way, but i don't give a damm what happens to Metal Gear after TPP. if it's not Kojima, i'm not interested.
And even if it did have Kojima, i think it's time to let the series rest, no need to run it into the ground.

I sense some hostility. Rightfully so, in part. Truth is, I haven't played a Metal Gear game that I've disliked. Scratch that, the NES port of Metal Gear is hard to enjoy, but I loved it when I was 5-6 years old.

I wonder, how do you feel about the Ac!d games? Ghost Babel? PoOps? With the exception of PoOps, they're absolutely stellar games. Even Snake's Revenge is pretty killer for what it is.

Ghost Babel had little to no involvement from Kojima. It was a Konami Europe production by and large. Yet, it's my favorite GBC game, and my favorite 2d Metal Gear game by a huge margin. My point is, while it's a huge dissapointmenf that Kojima won't be involved going forward, it might be a huge mistake to write off all future Metal Gear games. We may, or may not, get some really good stuff.

Real talk, I'd love a remaster of Twin Snakes, because I loved that game when it came out and I still do. Fantastic game that gets too much hate, I absolutely loved it and still do.

I love it as much as the original game if not more.

And yet, the steam group is only 37 people. :(

Nope, it was never remade, Gamecube only.

There is a steam group? Why was I not immediately notified that this was a thing.

I want to be in the thing.

Also, HEY YOU GUYS! 40 days. That's a little over a week and a month away.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Also, HEY YOU GUYS! 40 days. That's a little over a week and a month away.

My nanomachines are ready

SuCU0fr.gif

Shy

I sense some hostility. Rightfully so,
No, not at all, that's why put "don't take this the wrong way" at the beginning, so you wouldn't misunderstand.
I wonder, how do you feel about the Ac!d games? Ghost Babel? PoOps? With the exception of PoOps, they're absolutely stellar games. Even Snake's Revenge is pretty killer for what it is.
Even though i own ac!d, i've only played it a litlle bit, and i found it to be fine. I haven't played PoOps, ghost babel and snakes revenge.
Ghost Babel had little to no involvement from Kojima. It was a Konami Europe production by and large. Yet, it's my favorite GBC game, and my favorite 2d Metal Gear game by a huge margin. My point is, while it's a huge dissapointmenf that Kojima won't be involved going forward, it might be a huge mistake to write off all future Metal Gear games. We may, or may not, get some really good stuff.
My point was, going forward Konami are going to grind MGS into the ground. (even more than they already have done) and i have no interest in taking part in that. While in the past at least there was a mainline Kojima made MGS while all the other stuff was being coming out, and now that's no longer the case.

And even if Kojima/Kojipro didn't get fired, i probably wouldn't get another one, because i think the series should rest now, and not be milked anymore.
There is a steam group? Why was I not immediately notified that this was a thing.

I want to be in the thing.
Yep, it's called outer GAF, send a request to joint it, and i'll let you in.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
That might not be Snake's blood, but the blood of the comrades he kills in that mother base segment where he shoots a guy in the face.

Might also have to do with those zombie guys from the recent trailer.

Hikami

Hey there guys, so I'm new to the series here..

Just got a PS4 recently and downloaded Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes since I had it as a free PS+ title. I had fun with it and it got me really interested in the series. Though I had no idea what the hell was going on with the story. So I'm guessing I need to play the older games before I try and get MGS V when it's out.

I noticed there's a MGS Legacy Collection on PS3 that I could get to catch me up. Any chance of that coming to PS4?
--I don't mind getting it on PS3, just wondering if I should wait in case of a PS4 version.

No word on PS4 version yet.

Legacy Collection is absolutely the best way to go (unless buying MGS1, MGS4, and HD Collection separately is cheaper, of course). Play in release order, although it's not a hugely big deal if you skip the 2D games at first which are included with MGS3 Subsistence.

Thanks!
The Legacy Collection is definitely cheaper I think so I'll go ahead and grab that one.

Sub_Level

Hey there guys, so I'm new to the series here..

Just got a PS4 recently and downloaded Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes since I had it as a free PS+ title. I had fun with it and it got me really interested in the series. Though I had no idea what the hell was going on with the story. So I'm guessing I need to play the older games before I try and get MGS V when it's out.

I noticed there's a MGS Legacy Collection on PS3 that I could get to catch me up. Any chance of that coming to PS4?
--I don't mind getting it on PS3, just wondering if I should wait in case of a PS4 version.

No word on PS4 version yet.

Legacy Collection is absolutely the best way to go (unless buying MGS1, MGS4, and HD Collection separately is cheaper, of course). Play in release order, although it's not a hugely big deal if you skip the 2D games at first which are included with MGS3 Subsistence.

I played Metal Gear 1, 2, MGS, MGS2, MGS3, and MGS4 earlier this year.

I should start on peace walker if i'm going to do that. Should I do that?

I think the biggest thing is the motion comics cutscenes.

I kind of just tune out during them.

Sub_Level

I played Metal Gear 1, 2, MGS, MGS2, MGS3, and MGS4 earlier this year.

I should start on peace walker if i'm going to do that. Should I do that?

I think the biggest thing is the motion comics cutscenes.

I kind of just tune out during them.

I can't blame you. And beyond that, the real meat of the background story is contained in tapes you listen to. A few hours worth.

Peace Walker is pretty critical to MGSV, though. Consider just powering through it, and you might find you do come to like the story or the base management aspect.

Skullface

No, not at all, that's why put "don't take this the wrong way" at the beginning, so you wouldn't misunderstand.

Even though i own ac!d, i've only played it a litlle bit, and i found it to be fine. I haven't played PoOps, ghost babel and snakes revenge.

My point was, going forward Konami are going to grind MGS into the ground. (even more than they already have done) and i have no interest in taking part in that. While in the past at least there was a mainline Kojima made MGS while all the other stuff was being coming out, and now that's no longer the case.

And even if Kojima/Kojipro didn't get fired, i probably wouldn't get another one, because i think the series should rest now, and not be milked anymore.

Yep, it's called outer GAF, send a request to joint it, and i'll let you in.

I'm on my phone and I'm way too lazy to individually quote points. But I'll do my best to respond coherently.

1. There's a lot of salt regarding the Kojima situation. It came off as if that were driving your response, but I get that you have different reasons to give up on the series after this game. Completely reasonable in my opinion. However;

2. On the subject of the series being milked, MGS is probably the only long running series where I feel like there is little to no milking going on. Each title has had quite a bit of time between releases, especially numbered titles. Hell, it's taken almost two years for the meat of MGS5 to be released following the prologue. it's taken 5 years for a sequel for Peace Walker to be released in its entirety. 7 years between MGS4 and Phantom Pain. It's definitely not one of those franchises that gets cranked out, although I think that we can agree it would be terrible to see yearly MGS releases. The quality would surely plummet.

3. I just don't see why the series needs to be put to rest all together. The way I see it, the existing canon should be put to rest. Out of PoOps, Ac!d, Ghost Babel and Snakes Revenge, the weakest of the entries are PoOps and Snakes Revenge. Both were attempts to bring some continuity to the existing canon at the time that kind of felt tiresome and flat, though still enjoyable. Ghost Babel was very cool, as it was an alternate sequel to the original Metal Gear. The Ac!d titles were self contained stories that were very neat. I guess the point I'm trying to drive home is that the franchise doesn't need to be put to rest per se, but the existing canon should probably end here, with self contained, new stories from here on out. I'd even be OK with alternate timelines.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
looks generic and boring. KORNAMI WHY YOU NO USE SHINKAWA ART??? (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง

Gun Animal

Åesop;172724171 said:
looks generic and boring. KORNAMI WHY YOU NO USE SHINKAWA ART??? (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง
It would be generic if this was a horror franchise but as-is it stands out. It's like MGS is pulling a reverse Resident Evil.

And yeah, I love Shinkawa's art. He's the person that made me want to be an art major. But I can recognize that his art isn't going to sell copies as well as impressive 3d models.

I'm sure we'll get our reversible shinkawa cover, so relax.

Yong:
Audio recording for Part 2 of the MGSV E3 2015 trailer analysis is complete. Aside from a few corrections and additional analysis, it'll focus on connections to George Orwell's "1984." Not nearly as long as part 1, so should be up some time tomorrow.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
It would be generic if this was a horror franchise but as-is it stands out. It's like MGS is pulling a reverse Resident Evil.

And yeah, I love Shinkawa's art. He's the person that made me want to be an art major. But I can recognize that his art isn't going to sell copies as well as impressive 3d models.

I'm sure we'll get our reversible shinkawa cover, so relax.

Maybe you will get a reversible cover but I won't. Konami usually takes a huge shit on Europe

Nope, it was never remade, Gamecube only.

And let it stay there. I tried watch it on YT and turn it off at a Hind D scene.
Cutscenes was raped.

Does a sucessful Adam Sandler movie even exist?

51DcMF%2BYGPL.jpg

I always considered Sandler as a comedy actor so this movie hit me harder watching him all sad and miserable.
Watched only because someone mentioned it on Shadow of The Colossus message boards.

Gun Animal

Reign Over Me, Punch-Drunk Love and Funny People are all exceptional films that happen to star Adam Sandler.

I happen to like 50 First Dates and Click as well, but their critical quality is more suspect. I remember liking Little Nicky as a kid but I have a feeling that it's actually garbage.

Jeez, wheres an Adam Sandler OT when you need one?

Main reason I'm concerned is because of one of my university tutors.He said he isn't going to play MGS5 specifically because he finds Quiets's design to be disgusting.

Yeah, I guess some people will indeed find her design offensive in a way but I'll trust Kojima on his design choices/plot choices. Her being portrayed this way is not something he would have done to appeal to certain people but probably is a major contribution to the plot in my opinion.

Gun Animal

KUmOmzB.png

I fixed the poster. Lol.

We will probably get one of those standard Kotaku articles talking about her.

We've already gotten a few.

Main reason I'm concerned is because of one of my university tutors.He said he isn't going to play MGS5 specifically because he finds Quiets's design to be disgusting.

He wasn't going to get it anyways, he probably just saw someone on Twitter/Tumblr getting mad about it. Nobody that gets indignant about sexy videogame characters (besides the people writing about them on Gawker Media/Polygon for those sweet clicks) were ever in the target demo and never had any chance of purchasing the media one way or another.

Venom Fox

Banned
I personally never understood the hate because of the way quiet is dressed.

It's a GAME, it's not trying to emulate reality, it's a story meant to be for enjoyment, a break from reality.
It's a story about a man with a horn of diamonds (shrapnel) in his head, that wants to kill a man named zero, which both own a walking battle tank that can destroy worlds.

If Kojima wanted quiet to run about with full nipples out I'd still love the game and wouldn't be affected.

All this sexism bullshit lately to do with video games is fucking toxic.
If the game is trying to tell a serious and grounded story within the realms of reality, then fair enough, of course objectification of women is wrong. Its all context though.

Once the devs cave and 99% of games playable characters are female, cannot be seen in underwear and must have muscles equal to or greater than Arnold Schwarzenegger, all they will do is either push for the other 1% because why the fuck not.
Or they will say this is now sexist because they're more female characters than women.

One thing that did make me rage though, was that Anita sarfuckingwhatshername made a big fuss of the mechanics of pregnant women in the fallout shelter ios game.

Like seriously, it's a game, it's not harming women.

MajorTom

He wasn't going to get it anyways, he probably just saw someone on Twitter/Tumblr getting mad about it. Nobody that gets indignant about sexy videogame characters (besides the people writing about them on Gawker Media/Polygon for those sweet clicks) were ever in the target demo and never had any chance of purchasing the media one way or another.

He says he's a massive fan of the games (or was when he was younger), he still loves them apparently but he did point out that he just realised nearly every single woman in the series is over-sexualized and he finds it really off putting. I think he has a daughter, part of his reasoning was that he wouldn't like her to be like that or something.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
If the game is trying to tell a serious and grounded story within the realms of reality, then fair enough, of course objectification of women is wrong. Its all context though.

Are you saying it's okay to objectify women so as it's not done in ArmA 3...?

He says he's a massive fan of the games (or was when he was younger), he still loves them apparently but he did point out that he just realised nearly every single woman in the series is over-sexualized and he finds it really off putting. I think he has a daughter, part of his reasoning was that he wouldn't like her to be like that or something.

Except The Boss, right?

Gun Animal

I personally never understood the hate because of the way quiet is dressed.

It's a GAME, it's not trying to emulate reality, it's a story meant to be for enjoyment, a break from reality.
It's a story about a man with a horn of diamonds (shrapnel) in his head, that wants to kill a man named zero, which both own a walking battle tank that can destroy worlds.

If Kojima wanted quiet to run about with full nipples out I'd still love the game and wouldn't be affected.

Once the devs cave and 99% of games playable characters are female, cannot be seen in underwear and must have muscles equal to or greater than Arnold Schwarzenegger, all they will do is either push for the other 1% because why the fuck not.
Or they will say this is now sexist because they're more female characters than women.

One thing that did make me rage though, was that Anita sarfuckingwhatshername made a big fuss of the mechanics of pregnant women in the fallout shelter ios game.

Like seriously, it's a game, it's not harming women.

Remember RE5? Ah, those were the days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom