• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rescuing teamates from the prison camp cages would be awesome..

So would teamkilling by driving vehicles off the cliffs haha

I want it now haha!

I loved MGO2, and was absolutely devastated when it shut down. Looking forward to playing Snake vs everyone else again 😂

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry I'm late! I'm sure you've been waiting with baited breath :D

VF I'm going to chop your quote up a little bit. Sorry! I'm not trying to misrepresent your points (at least in that way :D), it's just a few of the bits cover similar areas.

Exactly, it's a fabricated world. The developers can do what they want in terms of characters and they way they are designed.
Devolves don't say "hey let's objectify women", they create characters based on the common concept that has been around for years.

The developers aren't subjecting the characters to the same objectification as reality, people who are making a fuss about it are.
You chose fantasy as an example and I followed up with an explanation.
Fantasy is made up, not real, never will be and never has been.

They don't have to, but it's a common concept like I said and it's generally accepted as a part of the fantasy setting.

Why is following "common concepts" in fantasy considered acceptable when it comes to objectification? That not only reeks of an 'Appeal to Tradition' (fallacious reasoning) but shows an acceptance of the limited imagination these creators have where they can't imagine a world without it.

Doesn't it strike you as odd that in a genre where literally anything at all is possible, a creator still decides to objectify women? It doesn't need to exist in fantasy because it's made up. I'd argue that only real world settings should have sexual objectification because that is the only place where it really exists.

These fictions exist in a world as objects (books, Art, games, whatever), so of course they will be held to the standard of the society that views them. All fiction - without exception - is a reflection of its creators and, by extension, the real world. This is because the authors and creators of all these fantastical worlds are embedded in and influenced by the real world and Art is often (not solely) a way of processing that influence. It's practically inescapable. All Art reflects real life: social changes, traditions, ideas, feelings, cultures; some influences are worn overtly, some are more subtle. In either case, they are there.

For women and men alike to say "hey this is now wrong in our eyes, you need to change it". is disgusting.
It's an art form and like other art forms it shouldn't be sensored or changed because it's

I haven't said nowt about censorship, have I? Using reasoned debate to change prevailing attitudes so creators consider these issues in future works, rather than simply doing them because "that's the done thing", is not the same as censorship. It's natural.

(That's not my intention here btw. I'm just chatting. No one ever changed their mind about anything because of an internet debate, especially in Outer GAF! :D)

If the game is mimicking reality, it is bad because objectification isn't acceptable in the real world.

Yes it is though, that's the problem! :D

Furthermore your completely missing the point of what I'm trying to say, so I'll simplify it.
The two quotes of mine you chose say the same thing but one is more detailed than the other. So how is my logic flawed?

Correct me if I'm misrepresenting your points here, but these seem contradictory and/or a bit weird to me (those quotes were one part of the logic):

No art should be censored or limited in any way... but games grounded in reality shouldn't have sexual objectification in them because it is wrong.

Sexual objectification is wrong... but only in games that are grounded in reality... (ME: where such objectification actually does exist, as opposed to fantasy where it absolutely doesn't need to).

Art, even commercial art, is a therapeutic process that exists more for the artist than it does for the consumer of art. Of course, this is also true of the kind of critical analysis we're engaged in at this very moment.

Agreed.

If we're having these discussions, it should only be to cultivate OUR OWN art. Our own culture. Let them make their garbage and we'll make ours.

Although I agree in principle, our understanding of what culture is differs.

This is our culture, garbage and all. Culture is the shared values, customs, and social and artistic achievements of its people. We are the people. Art is both a reflection of culture and important building blocks, even the garbage.

I don't want any artist to change their expression because of cultural tabboos.

Why are we defaulting to censorship? I've not mentioned it! I'm not asking for it! :D

Paraphrasing one of the Penny Arcade guys: The solution is never less art, and it's always more art. Basically, it's good that you're talking about 'how games should be' as long as your goal is to use that feeling in your own life, rather than to tear other artists down. You feel me?

Agreed. Totally feeling you...

...but let's be clear: I'm not "tearing artists" down and I'm not talking about "how games should be". I haven't said "Kojima can't show blood boobs!" or "No games should have sexy chicks!" All I've done is ask questions about a few posts that were made here where I find the logic confusing and somewhat contradictory, and then explain why I think that.

I just disagree with the idea that people criticizing Quiet's design are harming "art" or advocating for censorship. Critique and discussion doesn't hurt art, it's a necessary part of it lol

I want it now haha!

I loved MGO2, and was absolutely devastated when it shut down. Looking forward to playing Snake vs everyone else again ��

I keep forgetting we're getting a new MGO ... this game looks to have so much content in the single player, and then we're getting a whole new multiplayer mode with it, this game is going to be incredible

Any soccer fans?

I am considering picking up a soccer game... fifa 15 or pes? pes is in fox engine. So i am leaning towards that one lol.

PES2015 is so much fun. I can compare it to PES 5. Not only gameplay is similar but also looks like a PS2 game on a PS3 :)

Ryan_MSF

Any soccer fans?

I am considering picking up a soccer game... fifa 15 or pes? pes is in fox engine. So i am leaning towards that one lol.

I think Jimmy will back me up, but Fifa is the better game. PES 2015 felt like it was running at 75% of the speed it should have been, and had some lag issues when playing - Ultimate Team on Fifa is pretty terrible but if you just want a fun game Fifa is 100% the better choice.

Also, football not soccer
leuhkikcskn4.gif

brau

I think Jimmy will back me up, but Fifa is the better game. PES 2015 felt like it was running at 75% of the speed it should have been, and had some lag issues when playing - Ultimate Team on Fifa is pretty terrible but if you just want a fun game Fifa is 100% the better choice.

Also, football not soccer
leuhkikcskn4.gif

Maybe i'll consider getting 16... comes out in a couple of months i guess. PES sounds fun just to play with my brother.

Error1355

So after purchasing a 970 graphics card, I will have 3 versions of MGS V come September.

LE Xbox One
LE PS4
Steam PC

I'm don't have an issue I swear I can quit anytime.

Wrecked the Shagohod with rockets and sent my friend the alert i'm gonna need to crib his Metal Gear Solid 4 within the next day or two. It's a damn shame he can't receive images...

ol60x.jpg

I never noticed if you look at Eva's Food history it suddenly slips into Chinese dishes. Sneaky Kojima.

brau

For people buying it both digitally and physical CE, will you use the codes that come with the CE with the digital version?

I am not sure if there is extra stuff on the CE i don't get with the preorder of day one edition.

IF there is not, i might just offer the codes here for someone from OuterGaf.

MrS

Banned
Bah... maybe Tweet to Tora and see if he can clarify.. or Su.
And make sure you let them know you're asking about Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain!

Listening to Calling To The Night has got me hyped! Gonna play some Ground Zeroes and practice the gun aiming for a bit

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
I never understood this kind of collectors cult. Like someone in here actually preordered 2 collectors/ special editions so he can keep 1 of them untouched (°_ʖ°) whats the point of that? The used version has much more personal value since it's the one you actually f******* played. Why would you prefer having some weird box in its original plastic packaging on your shelf? I mean you're not doing it to sell it as "new" 30 years later just to make a few bucks so wtf

Gun Animal

...but let's be clear: I'm not "tearing artists" down and I'm not talking about "how games should be". I haven't said "Kojima can't show blood boobs!" or "No games should have sexy chicks!" All I've done is ask questions about a few posts that were made here where I find the logic confusing and somewhat contradictory, and then explain why I think that.

Yeah, and I agree with most of your logic. This school of thought will nurture one of the most interesting generations of gamers and developers, ultimately more interested in political context than shiny graphics---even if for now that political context is often of the "single-issue voter" variety, a la representation of women. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom