• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
tumblr_m7a9yqQsww1r26jxbo2_250.gif

That thread was something.

Venom Fox

Banned
Are you saying it's okay to objectify women so as it's not done in ArmA 3...?

Except The Boss, right?
I'm saying, if a story isn't grounded in reality, and that is apparent, then why should devs be restricted to what characters they create and what they wear, roles are etc.

If a game/story is grounded in reality, or trying to tell and adult story then obviously it's wrong to objectify women because the story, gameplay mechanics etc, don't warrant those type of characters.
Remember RE5? Ah, those were the days.
lol, that was pathetic tbh.

The devs even caved in to demands lol.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm saying, if a story isn't grounded in reality, and that is apparent, then why should devs be restricted to what characters they create and what they wear, roles are etc.

If a game/story is grounded in reality, or trying to tell and adult story then obviously it's wrong to objectify women because the story, gameplay mechanics etc, don't warrant those type of characters.

Okay. So, in a completely fantastical world, is sexual objectification okay?

Gun Animal

lol, that was pathetic tbh.

The devs even caved in to demands lol.

ColonelAI.png

The digital society furthers human flaws and selectively rewards development of convenient half-truths. Just look at the strange juxtapositions of morality around you.

Rose_AI.png

Billions of dollars spent to make more socially progressive games about murdering other humans.

ColonelAI.png

The rights of fictional characters are given more respect than the privacy of their creators.

Rose_AI.png

Although there are women suffering around the world, huge donations are made to criticize video-games.

ColonelAI.png

You exercise your right to "freedom" and this is the result. The untested truths spun by different interests continue to churn and accumulate in the sandbox of political correctness and value systems. And this is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
ColonelAI.png

The digital society furthers human flaws and selectively rewards development of convenient half-truths. Just look at the strange juxtapositions of morality around you.

Rose_AI.png

Billions of dollars spent to make more socially progressive games about murdering other humans.

ColonelAI.png

The rights of fictional characters are given more respect than the privacy of their creators.

Rose_AI.png

Although there are women suffering around the world, huge donations are made to criticize video-games.

ColonelAI.png

You exercise your right to "freedom" and this is the result. The untested truths spun by different interests continue to churn and accumulate in the sandbox of political correctness and value systems. And this is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper.

Haha! This is cracking! So quick too!

Well played XD

Banzai

Once the devs cave and 99% of games playable characters are female, cannot be seen in underwear and must have muscles equal to or greater than Arnold Schwarzenegger, all they will do is either push for the other 1% because why the fuck not.

slippery slope argument, nice. I dont want any of that, I just want a soldier in afghanistan to wear some clothes.

morty

Neo Member
Let me apologize in advance.
I don't plan on getting a PS4 or XBone because they are too new and "untested" in my eyes. I already splurged on a Wiii U which of course won't be receiving MGS V. I don't care about “1080p and 60 frames per second.”

The reason I want to get from the older generation of game systems is because they have lots of software to choose from which potentially be less expensive later on. I'm learty about buying into Sony because I had a great PSN account but they give me the runaround when I try to reclaim it. I also had in the ;past owned a 360 but the OS setup irritated me so much that I split up my Xbox collection between a couple friends. One of them tossed the regular Xbox and its games in the trash. The other shipped out the 360 and its games to his nephew to play with.

I swear, '”buy this! Buy this!” was all over the menus... it was d ifficullt to access anything with all this propaganda going on the screen. I know for sure I will buy the low-end version of either game system with the smallest storage space with the goal of replacing it with a larger one later on.

What's the highest capacity HDD that will fit in a 12 GB PS3 super slim or a 4gb 360? I think they take laptop hard drives? Right?

What are your top twenty games for either system (disc and download?) ???

Venom Fox

Banned
Yes, it's fantasy.
Imaginary world, imaginary Races, imaginary dress.

Devs shouldn't be limited to what they create because a select few people are moaning about it.
Movies and limited, books aren't limited, art isn't limited so why should games be limited?

ColonelAI.png

Rose_AI.png

ColonelAI.png

Rose_AI.png

ColonelAI.png

lol
slippery slope argument, nice. I dont want any of that, I just want a soldier in afghanistan to wear some clothes.
It is because it's two sides to the argument.
I don't see a problem with it personally, it's not just women who are portrayed wrongly, men are too.
But yet the whole females are objectified argument is prevailing.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, it's fantasy.
Imaginary world, imaginary Races, imaginary dress.

If it's a completely fabricated world, why does it have the same sexual objectification present in the real world? Are developers that limited in their imaginations? Why can fantasy worlds get a free pass?

Devs shouldn't be limited to what they create because a select few people are moaning about it.
Movies and limited, books aren't limited, art isn't limited so why should games be limited?

But you said:

"If the game is trying to tell a serious and grounded story within the realms of reality, then fair enough, of course objectification of women is wrong."

...and...

"If a game/story is grounded in reality, or trying to tell and adult story then obviously it's wrong to objectify women because the story, gameplay mechanics etc, don't warrant those type of characters."

Wouldn't those be limitations on the developer too...?

Your logic has more holes in it than Quiet's tights! ;D

Skullface

It is because it's two sides to the argument.
I don't see a problem with it personally, it's not just women who are portrayed wrongly, men are too.
But yet the whole females are objectified argument is prevailing.

This debate triggers me every time. Who actually fucking cares? I don't even actually find Quiet sexy because ultimately, she's a fictional videogame character with Joosten's face. Which by the way, Joosten's ok with her portrayal in the game or she wouldn't have taken the job. Anyone with complaints about Quiet aught to take the debate directly to Stefanie and no one else. If Stefanie is OK with this portrayal, why are others upset?

Gun Animal

If it's a completely fabricated world, why does it have the same sexual objectification present in the real world? Are developers that limited in their imaginations? Why can fantasy worlds get a free pass?

But you said:

"If the game is trying to tell a serious and grounded story within the realms of reality, then fair enough, of course objectification of women is wrong."

...and...

"If a game/story is grounded in reality, or trying to tell and adult story then obviously it's wrong to objectify women because the story, gameplay mechanics etc, don't warrant those type of characters."

Art, even commercial art, is a therapeutic process that exists more for the artist than it does for the consumer of art. Of course, this is also true of the kind of critical analysis we're engaged in at this very moment.

If we're having these discussions, it should only be to cultivate OUR OWN art. Our own culture. Let them make their garbage and we'll make ours. I don't want any artist to change their expression because of cultural tabboos. Paraphrasing one of the Penny Arcade guys: The solution is never less art, and it's always more art. Basically, it's good that you're talking about 'how games should be' as long as your goal is to use that feeling in your own life, rather than to tear other artists down. You feel me?

He says he's a massive fan of the games (or was when he was younger), he still loves them apparently but he did point out that he just realised nearly every single woman in the series is over-sexualized and he finds it really off putting. I think he has a daughter, part of his reasoning was that he wouldn't like her to be like that or something.
He learned to think that way from his University.

Skullface

Art, even commercial art, is a therapeutic process that exists more for the artist than it does for the consumer of art. Of course, this is also true of the kind of critical analysis we're engaged in at this very moment.

If we're having these discussions, it should only be to cultivate OUR OWN art. Our own culture. Let them make their garbage and we'll make ours. I don't want any artist to change their expression because of cultural tabboos. Paraphrasing one of the Penny Arcade guys: The solution is never less art, and it's always more art. Basically, it's good that you're talking about 'how games should be' as long as your goal is to use that feeling in your own life, rather than to tear other artists down. You feel me?

Eloquently put.

Venom Fox

Banned

But you said:

...and...

Exactly, it's a fabricated world. The developers can do what they want in terms of characters and they way they are designed.
Devolves don't say "hey let's objectify women", they create characters based on the common concept that has been around for years.

For women and men alike to say "hey this is now wrong in our eyes, you need to change it". is disgusting.
It's an art form and like other art forms it shouldn't be sensored or changed because it's

They don't have to, but it's a common concept like I said and it's generally accepted as a part of the fantasy setting.

The developers aren't subjecting the characters to the same objectification as reality, people who are making a fuss about it are.
You chose fantasy as an example and I followed up with an explanation.
Fantasy is made up, not real, never will be and never has been.

Please tell or show me a game like, Arma, as you said, that has half naked women with metal thongs on?
It'd be silly, wouldn't it, it wouldn't make sense for the story trying to be told.
So no, it wouldn't be a limitation.

Furthermore your completely missing the point of what I'm trying to say, so I'll simplify it.
The two quotes of mine you chose say the same thing but one is more detailed than the other. So how is my logic flawed?

Objectifying women is bad in the real world, in an art form like a game it can be bad or good depending on the game at hand.
Personally I couldn't give two fucks if women are objectified or not in a game, it's bad, but I don't care.

If the game is mimicking reality, it is bad because objectification isn't acceptable in the real world.
If the game is a made up world, with a made up setting, made up races etc then why would objectification matter? It's made up and separated from reality so objectification of women wouldn't even be a problem.

The only way people could have a problem with objectification in a fantasy setting etc, is if they cannot separate reality and non reality.

This debate triggers me every time. Who actually fucking cares? I don't even actually find Quiet sexy because ultimately, she's a fictional videogame character with Joosten's face. Which by the way, Joosten's ok with her portrayal in the game or she wouldn't have taken the job. Anyone with complaints about Quiet aught to take the debate directly to Stefanie and no one else. If Stefanie is OK with this portrayal, why are others upset?
See, this is what I'm talking about, it's a game that is used for enjoyment, not as a societal learning tool.
Quiet being dressed like that isn't a problem, I really don't see why people attack it.

Venom Fox

Banned

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Has to reload my save thrice over the past day, each opening with the torture scene, and I'm not even mad. Easily the second best moment of the game behind the lengthy and awesome ending.

I forgot the seven course meal of weirdness that is young Ocelot in Snake Eater. The meowing, the gameshow host gestures, Russian roulette with THREE revolvers ( ! ). He's pretty good, at being a douche.

I've just completed the Sorrow. I don't even know how I managed to find the trick in that on release. I wasn't aware that the identity of Eva's voice actress was up for debate. There's a cinematic going on with her right now and sure does sound like Debi Mae West, although she denied it in an interview.

Muffdraul

Someone comfort me... I know it's insane to be sad about the size of the game but I truly did expect like 40 GB of goodness...

All it means is no huge FMV files, which no MGS has ever had*. It's a good thing.

EDIT: *D'oh, of course there were the intro TV shows/commercials in MGS4, fancy opening credits, MGS2 ending NYC footage... whatever, I was referring to story cut scenes peppered throughout most AAA games in the last 20 years.

brau

Any soccer fans?

I am considering picking up a soccer game... fifa 15 or pes? pes is in fox engine. So i am leaning towards that one lol.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Any soccer fans?

I am considering picking up a soccer game... fifa 15 or pes? pes is in fox engine. So i am leaning towards that one lol.

PES is the better soccer game. If you can wait a bit then the GAF Pro Club will probably revive a bit with Fifa 16, on PC and PS4.

brau

PES is the better soccer game. If you can wait a bit then the GAF Pro Club will probably revive a bit with Fifa 16, on PC and PS4.

My brother is coming over and i thought it would be fun to have a soccer game. PES looks better overall, and gameplay seems to be superior... also.. FOX Engine. I would be getting this on ps4 tho.

brau

The only soccer game you ever need to play

we can agree on that.

hqdefault.jpg

Dog ref should be canon :)

Also... the OST is amazing.

EDIT: I ended up getting PES. I was queing it up and i noticed this.

sVCFYPA.png

So MGO might be available from the get go, if there is already an XP boost for it since i preordered it. Check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom