• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Error1355, I understand your sentiment. I've had an account since early 2013, yet still haven't posted enough to earn "Member" status. I pop my head in every now and again to share a thought or an opinion, then I retreat. My problem is I rarely spot threads that arouse my interest, and if I do, someone has already said something in that thread similar to what I had in mind. So I think, why waste my breath? Why engage in redundancy? Hence the lack of ample posts. Circular logic is my downfall, really.

*retreats*

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, and I agree with most of your logic. This school of thought will nurture one of the most interesting generations of gamers and developers, ultimately more interested in political context than shiny graphics---even if for now that political context is often of the "single-issue voter" variety, a la representation of women. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Yep, well said. The discussion ain't perfect from either side but I think it will push things forward. As you said, it certainly is going to be interesting to see where we end up.

brau

I don't do twitter, and i've told Tora about my particular problem, on here, but he's Konami US, and i need a UK person.

Not yet (i tried to today, for a laugh) it will be much closer to launch.

He can't point you to someone in the UK?

Shy

You bet. I'll ask Tora anyways... see if he replies.
No, don't, i've already asked him a couple of times in here, and i don't want to bother him anymore, as he's already got a lot on his plate at the moment already.

EDIT: But i appreciate the thought <3

morty

Neo Member
I dont want to play on PS3, TBH. I already have:

Metal Gear Solid collection for PS2, MGS2, MGS3, MGS3:S, and the Game Cube remake of MGS one......

In the past I had the original MGS for PSone and the VR missions. For PC I had MGS and MGS 2;S (boxed).

I also had several Final Fantasy games for PSone in disc format which I traded in after getting the download versions on PS3. I have no access to that PSN account any longer. My old PS3 was stolen. Among the games on PSN I had were the HD versions of Peacewalker and Snakeater.

Kindekuma

Banned
Brothers what was the last info from the person asking about PC specs on Steam? Did he ever get back to us?

I believe that the specs will remain the same for TPP. However TPP is obviously a larger game so more hard drive space will be needed.

Those wondering what the specs to run GZ (TPP?) on PC are:

CYWuQ9O.png

brau

I believe that the specs will remain the same for TPP. However TPP is obviously a larger game so more hard drive space will be needed.

Those wondering what the specs to run GZ (TPP?) on PC are:

CYWuQ9O.png

I am glad i got my new rig just in time to run TPP on ultra settings on PC. No pointy hats for me!

Venom Fox

Banned
Screaming meat.

The first two paragraphs are great and made me realise that I didn't think my whole argument through to the extent I would have liked, I should have put more thought into what I was trying to say about fantasy games. For that I am sorry.

I do agree about devs should limit themselves because of common concepts but unfortunately it happens and I'd even argue that it happens because, they're afraid they'd alienate half their user base.

I'd like to continue this tomorrow if you don't mind, I don't have time to carry on tonight.

Kindekuma

Banned
I told myself that I wasn't going to play GZ until launch. "I'll wait it out! Don't want to get burnt out" I told myself, but I caved. Last night I replayed the main mission except took a different path than what I usually do. I had FUN. But there is only so much I can do!

Shy

I told myself that I wasn't going to play GZ until launch. "I'll wait it out! Don't want to get burnt out" I told myself, but I caved. Last night I replayed the main mission except took a different path than what I usually do. I had FUN. But there is only so much I can do!
I'm currently going trough my PS4 GZ save to get it to 100%.

Speaking of which, just in case anybody hasn't done this yet, be sure to extract the agent who tells you about the tape.

Just put a pin in the Boss, credits still rolling on Snake Eater. That ending sure does pack a wallop leading up to Snake saluting the Boss.

Having not played Peace walker and with knowledge of the series lore intricacies, does Kojima retcon much of anything? Off to go secure a copy of MGS4. So excited to revisit those fucking crazy commercials. Lee Meriwether interviewing David Hayter, voice of a generation. Crazy beyond belief.

Ranks

MGS1: Elephant
MGS2: Elephant
MGS3: Crocodile ( ! )

Salaadin

I can't believe TPP is so close. Feels like just yesterday when we didn't even know the release date.

I think I'll start my series play through on August 1st. Plan to do most of it on my vita.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Screaming meat.

The first two paragraphs are great and made me realise that I didn't think my whole argument through to the extent I would have liked, I should have put more thought into what I was trying to say about fantasy games. For that I am sorry.

I do agree about devs should limit themselves because of common concepts but unfortunately it happens and I'd even argue that it happens because, they're afraid they'd alienate half their user base.

I'd like to continue this tomorrow if you don't mind, I don't have time to carry on tonight.

Don't apologise, man! It's all chatting. :)

Yeah, man, of course. I wouldn't be able to get into anything now if I wanted to... It's midnight and I've got work in the morning! :)

Some of MGS4 long cutscenes are like Sunnys fried eggs.

Pointless.

They were neither long or pointless. They actually represented the name of the act.

"Sunny's eggs, in conjunction with the titles of the first four Acts, visually represent all characters named Snake. Liquid Sun's yolks come out slightly flawed while Solid Sun's break immediately, suggesting Liquid Snake's superiority to Solid Snake as a clone. One of the eggs at the start of Third Sun holds two yolks, offsetting the other shell's single yolk, suggesting Solidus Snake's birth apart from Liquid and Solid. Twin Sun's yolks blend into one, suggesting the union of Solid and Liquid into the originary figure of Naked Snake whom MGS3 offered as a blend of both personalities."

Required MGS reading.
http://www.deltaheadtranslation.com/MGS4/9su.htm

EDIT - I'm proud to be beaten :)

brau

Read this article

and see if you still feel the same way bout them eggs.

They were neither long or pointless. They actually represented the name of the act.

"Sunny's eggs, in conjunction with the titles of the first four Acts, visually represent all characters named Snake. Liquid Sun's yolks come out slightly flawed while Solid Sun's break immediately, suggesting Liquid Snake's superiority to Solid Snake as a clone. One of the eggs at the start of Third Sun holds two yolks, offsetting the other shell's single yolk, suggesting Solidus Snake's birth apart from Liquid and Solid. Twin Sun's yolks blend into one, suggesting the union of Solid and Liquid into the originary figure of Naked Snake whom MGS3 offered as a blend of both personalities."

Required MGS reading.

EDIT - I'm proud to be beaten :)

I understand what he was trying to do with the game.. honestly.. i think its admirable that he tries to tie narrative and layers of meaning in that way. But... by the middle of the game.. one could care less about the story of MGS4. It all goes downhill after the first act. At least for me it did. MGS4 is the only mgs i have tried to play more than once and always get bored.

Sure if i over analyze the game it might have interesting context. But the way its presented, i can't help but feel the overly long cutscenes are misplaced and of no use, but to show something dramatic that looses any impact. Sunnys eggs are just part of the presentation that gets lost in translation for me.

I have seen countless videos of explanations and subtleties of the games metaphors and what not. But thats it... I think TPP and even GZ have done this in a lot better ways. Even P.T did it better. I believe Kojimas writing, execution and polish have finally come together in this last chapter to his saga.

This is totally gonna stir a hornets nest. Bring the PAIN!

morty

Neo Member
I could care less about MGS4. It had really really long loading times. It was fun to a certain extent, but I didn't take it seriously.

I think there was an article saying they had maxed out the info they could put on a bluray dsic and decided to compress alll the audio heavily. Thus the load times.

Kindekuma

Banned
I could care less about MGS4. It had really really long loading times. It was fun to a certain extent, but I didn't take it seriously.

I think there was an article saying they had maxed out the info they could put on a bluray dsic and decided to compress alll the audio heavily. Thus the load times.

MGS4 had a data install from the main menu, did you know that? Loading times were extremely fast for me after doing so.

Does anyone know if I can buy MGS1 off the US PSN and play it on my PAL PS3 at 60Hz? I know PS3s are region-locked for PSX and PS2 games, but I'm not sure if that's the case for digital ones. I've been playing through it on my old PSX discs, but it's slow as molasses and my TV just doesn't play nicely with a 50Hz signal.

Shy

Does anyone know if I can buy MGS1 off the US PSN and play it on my PAL PS3 at 60Hz? I know PS3s are region-locked for PSX and PS2 games, but I'm not sure if that's the case for digital ones. I've been playing through it on my old PSX discs, but it's slow as molasses and my TV just doesn't play nicely with a 50Hz signal.
You'll be fine if you buy it digitally, as long as you're American account is activated on that PS3

Finally started looking through Ground Zeroes cassette tapes and damn, Sutherland does some really good voice acting work in the Pre-mission Brief. If we can't have Hayter, then I'm glad we got him for Big Boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom