• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
TPP.jpg

AWW SHIT

world-cup-2014-weird-kid-dancing-lifts-shirt-fan-14038303339.gif

ZoronMaro

Hey guys, I hope this isn't answered somewhere obvious, but I couldn't find it anywhere else. Do we know yet what the difference between last gen and current gen versions of the Phantom Pain are? Obviously graphical improvement, but I remember hearing somewhere the PS3/360 versions wouldn't have the same real time weather or day night cycle cause they couldn't handle it.

I want to play the game at launch, but if the last gen version is inferior then I can probably wait since I plan on buying a PS4 eventually.

Hey guys, I hope this isn't answered somewhere obvious, but I couldn't find it anywhere else. Do we know yet what the difference between last gen and current gen versions of the Phantom Pain are? Obviously graphical improvement, but I remember hearing somewhere the PS3/360 versions wouldn't have the same real time weather or day night cycle cause they couldn't handle it.

I want to play the game at launch, but if the last gen version is inferior then I can probably wait since I plan on buying a PS4 eventually.

There is a smaller player cap in MGO, they have less advanced skyboxes (hardly noticeable tho), capped at 30 fps instead of 60 (although both last-gen versions' framerates frequently drop into the 20s) and more pop in than current gen.

If you are alright with the poor framerates the core game is essentially the same, but it feels indescribably better at a stable 60 fps, I suggest waiting if you are buying a PS4 anytime soon.

Kindekuma

Banned

There are some differences. What was limited to the PS4 (and PC) was dynamic clouds, whereas clouds would form and move in real time whereas in the other versions the weather was set.

Also there was no music import to the iDroid in PS4/XBO versions whereas the PS3/360 versions could import I think 8 MP3s from your console.

There were some gameplay differences too, the rear triggers/L2R2 in PS3 were for codec and binoculars. In the current gen versions, it's swapped.

ZoronMaro

There is a smaller player cap in MGO, they have less advanced skyboxes (hardly noticeable tho), capped at 30 fps instead of 60 (although both versions' framerates frequently drop into the 20s) and more pop in than current gen.

If you are alright with the poor framerates the core game is essentially the same, but it feels indescribably better at a stable 60 fps, I suggest waiting if you are buying a PS4 anytime soon.

There are some differences. What was limited to the PS4 (and PC) was dynamic clouds, whereas clouds would form and move in real time whereas in the other versions the weather was set.

Also there was no music import to the iDroid in PS4/XBO versions whereas the PS3/360 versions could import I think 8 MP3s from your console.

There were some gameplay differences too, the rear triggers/L2R2 in PS3 were for codec and binoculars. In the current gen versions, it's swapped.

Thanks guys

That reminds me my PC probably could probably run this game, but the differences sound trivial enough I'll probably get it on PS3 (after replaying everything
EVERYTHING
in the legacy collection it feels right to finish it there)

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
welp i think my PS3 died, hate to get another one just because MGS4 won't be getting ported anywhere soon.

Kindekuma

Banned
BUNCH OF MERCH INCOMING

Venom Snake Nendo

Solid and Liquid Snake Miniature with Metal Gear REX

METAL GEAR ST-84 Statue

Venom Snake statuette with interchangeable Chicken Hat head

Venom Snake Shemagh, Fulton Lanyards, Venom Snake and Ocelot busts, 1/2 Scale Arm, 1:1 Arm

Japan CE Contents, Box, PS4 MGSV Edition, Making of Blu-Ray, OST, Artbook, Map of Afghanistan, etc

There is a smaller player cap in MGO, they have less advanced skyboxes (hardly noticeable tho), capped at 30 fps instead of 60 (although both versions' framerates frequently drop into the 20s) and more pop in than current gen.

Are you saying the PS4 version frequently drops into the 20s?

Kindekuma

Banned
I don't get Konami. From the latest show, they have a poster with Kojima's name on it with the KJP logo on the top right. Do they acknowledge the guy or no?

J9KuFlk.jpg

Skullface

Why cant that steelbook be in the NA ce ;_;?

Having participated in many focus groups, I guarantee you that it's a combination of some third party marketing firm and shallow Americans. There were probably several focus groups anonymously funded by Konami that had this type of question:

On a scale of 1-5, how important is it to you that pre order collectors editions come with unique packaging to set it apart from standard editions (I.E. steel book boxes, alternative box art)? 1 being not important at all and 5 being very important.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Having participated in many focus groups, I guarantee you that it's a combination of some third party marketing firm and shallow Americans. There were probably several focus groups anonymously funded by Konami that had this type of question:

On a scale of 1-5, how important is it to you that pre order collectors editions come with unique packaging to set it apart from standard editions (I.E. steel book boxes, alternative box art)? 1 being not important at all and 5 being very important.

Haha! The wording on that question is spot on.

I get peoples' complaints regarding the design of ST-84, but I also feel like if they just recreated MG/MG2SS-inspired mechs, then people would be saying that the new Metal Gear design is underwhelming. Bigger and better is fine with me, can't wait to see what the Metal Gear battle is like in TPP. Open world Metal Gear fight, LAWD.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I get peoples' complaints regarding the design of ST-84, but I also feel like if they just recreated MG/MG2SS-inspired mechs, then people would be saying that the new Metal Gear design is underwhelming. Bigger and better is fine with me, can't wait to see what the Metal Gear battle is like in TPP. Open world Metal Gear fight, LAWD.

Worrying about connecting up Kojima-penned canon is a fast track to an early heart attack, my friend.

Let's go with Rule of Cool on this one. :D

Worrying about connecting up Kojima-penned canon is a fast track to an early heart attack, my friend.

Let's go with Rule of Cool on this one. :D

Oh, dude. You know me. Idgaf about all that. They could retcon the entire damn series and I wouldn't care. As long as he tells the most awesome story he can in TPP and makes the gameplay as revolutionary as it always is, we good.

Shy

I don't get Konami. From the latest show, they have a poster with Kojima's name on it with the KJP logo on the top right. Do they acknowledge the guy or no?

J9KuFlk.jpg
Just a PR gaff, they needed a poster, so they took the first one to hand (an old one) nothing more nothing less.

Palpable

I may have to go on complete blackout. I'll go spare if anyone spoils this one for me.

Bruv, I had Big Boss in MGS4 spoiled for me because the strategy guide came a week ahead of the game. I opened it to take a quick peak at ONE PAGE, hoping it'd be the weapons index in the back, but it showed his face D:

Skullface

Bruv, I had Big Boss in MGS4 spoiled for me because the strategy guide came a week ahead of the game. I opened it to take a quick peak at ONE PAGE, hoping it'd be the weapons index in the back, but it showed his face D:

What were the goddamn chances. Fuck. Was it even necessary to put that in the guide? There's no more game to play at that point.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Fuck that. Of all the pages to land on!

His face is in the biographies at the back, I think?

What were the goddamn chances. Fuck. Was it even necessary to put that in the guide? There's no more game to play at that point.

The end of the guide has this massive deconstruction and interpretation of what happened... that PW kind of ruins. :D

I'm going to buy the guide and send spoilers to your door.

Like I needed an excuse to come round your house and shit in your pets' mouths.

Mifec

I believe that the specs will remain the same for TPP. However TPP is obviously a larger game so more hard drive space will be needed.

Those wondering what the specs to run GZ (TPP?) on PC are:

CYWuQ9O.png

Sorry I meant if we ever got an update on them asking what PC options we want in the game, they made a thread on Steam and it was linked here.

SJRB

Gold Member
When the game is out [or inevitably leaked two weeks before official launch] I'll disable Twitch comments, only visit non-spoiler streams, activate the herp-derp plugin on Youtube and only browse GAF until I've finished the game myself.

Total lockdown.

Sorry I meant if we ever got an update on them asking what PC options we want in the game, they made a thread on Steam and it was linked here.

They did post a small update stating that they were busy checking all the information but as Rogue Agent stated they haven't stated which features are going to be implemented.

I may have to go on complete blackout. I'll go spare if anyone spoils this one for me.

If they spoil the ending for me or other important events, I'll go full nuclear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom