• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldLogos

Banned
Guys... WTF is this? http://ingsoc.org/

I just tried searching the forums and was surprised this hadn't been posted

EDIT: NVM i searched with a typo. Was brought up back in May but does anybody think its NOT a hoax? (i think it is)

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Guys... WTF is this? http://ingsoc.org/

I just tried searching the forums and was surprised this hadn't been posted

EDIT: NVM i searched with a typo. Was brought up back in May but does anybody think its NOT a hoax? (i think it is)

ingsoc_by_ghigo1972.jpg

:O

The1Ski

I'm playing through Witcher 3 right now and I was wondering if it's reasonable to expect anywhere near the same length and content in MGSV.

Is that too much to ask? If it is unrealistic, why? Since metal gear solid is going open world, I'm going to be comparing it to the Witcher's open world.

I'm really hoping for a long adventure with depth and varying experiences.

brau

I'm playing through Witcher 3 right now and I was wondering if it's reasonable to expect anywhere near the same length and content in MGSV.

Is that too much to ask? If it is unrealistic, why? Since metal gear solid is going open world, I'm going to be comparing it to the Witcher's open world.

I think it will be just as lengthy. IF not more. Since TW3 doesn't let you replay quests.

You know, I don't know that MGSV will offer the same variety of experiences in its missions as Witcher 3 did in its quests (which were superb), but if Ground Zeroes was any indication, there will definitely be a lot of missions that mix things up, as well as a simply massive amount of content if you care about replaying missions for side objectives or getting better scores/ranks or collectibles.

Plus there's all the larger Mother Base building stuff, and MGO

brau

You know, I don't know that MGSV will offer the same variety of experiences in its missions as Witcher 3 did in its quests (which were superb), but if Ground Zeroes was any indication, there will definitely be a lot of missions that mix things up, as well as a simply massive amount of content if you care about replaying missions for side objectives or getting better scores/ranks or collectibles.

I really think there is a trade off. Maybe each mission is not tailored specifically to go through a certain pace and narrative. But so far it looks like there is more in how you can tackle a certain mission. Replay value as well, as there are so many factors that will make the mission feel different every single time.

Kindekuma

Banned
You know, I don't know that MGSV will offer the same variety of experiences in its missions as Witcher 3 did in its quests (which were superb),

Bruh did you even watch the E3 2015 variety Mission gameplay demos? How they handled the the 3rd mission 5 different ways? Go watch that.

Bruh did you even watch the E3 2015 variety Mission gameplay demos? How they handled the the 3rd mission 5 different ways? Go watch that.

I saw it, but I meant in terms of having lots of different stories and narratives intertwined with the different missions. It looks like the gameplay is incredibly open ended and dynamic, but there might be more than a few missions that repeat a similar objective or story (kill/rescue/extract this guy, destroy this, etc)

* The Witcher 3 doesn't seem to have the variety in gameplay/approaches that the Phantom Pain will offer, but each quest had unique twists and compelling stories. Phantom Pain might not be as narrative-driven outside of story missions, but within each side op you're given a huge sandbox to experiment within. So it's variety in a different way. I don't think comparing them is useful just because they're both open-world.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think it'll be a fair comparison. It'll be like comparing, I dunno, ArmA 3 to Skyrim or GTAV to Dead Island (that's Open World, right...? Bah! You get the point :D).

Open World isn't a genre. The content of each is going to be very different from the other, I suspect.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I saw it, but I meant in terms of having lots of different stories and narratives intertwined with the different missions. It looks like the gameplay is incredibly open ended and dynamic, but there might be more than a few missions that repeat a similar objective or story (kill/rescue/extract this guy, destroy this, etc)

Given that the variety of approaches are so vast, I'll be okay with a small pool of objectives. Like, I never get bored of Hitman and that's essentially the same mission type over an entire series.

SJRB

Gold Member

Witcher 3's narrative and content mostly builds from the different villages and inhabitants. You stumble upon most of the missions organically as you explore the world.

MGSV seems way more static in that regard, many [if not all] of the missions are "select mission X from the menu". Given that the mission areas are warzones there won't be nearly as many civilians either. I'm not saying the side ops are shit, Ground Zeroes has shown that Kojima Pro are quite capable of creating cool side ops, but the way both games present their content are greatly different.

MGSV is way more geared towards replayability as well, whereas Witcher 3's stuff is more of an "experience" [for lack of better term].

I think for the missions where you get a group to choose from it'll be more about discovering the narrative and twists for yourself, like all the conversions you can listen in on and the optional stuff in the intel recording mission.

The1Ski

I don't think it'll be a fair comparison. It'll be like comparing, I dunno, ArmA 3 to Skyrim or GTAV to Dead Island (that's Open World, right...? Bah! You get the point :D).

Open World isn't a genre. The content of each is going to be very different from the other, I suspect.

I hear ya that open world isn't a genre. It's just a method of accessing missions and objectives.

I guess I'm more curious as to just how open the MGS world will be compared to the Witcher open world. For MGS, it doesn't sound like missions will be discovered and initiated organically by traveling off the beaten path. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

While I was playing the Witcher last night my imagination got the better of me and I thought about playing as snake (firearms, gadgets, explosives, and all) in Geralts place.

Shy

They did post a small update stating that they were busy checking all the information but as Rogue Agent stated they haven't stated which features are going to be implemented.
I hope he uses all my suggestion, i feel they were quite reasonable.
Vice just did an article about the Quiet being Transgender theory.
http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/if-m...get-it-right-000?utm_source=vicegamingtwitter
f5sgfUH.gif

I feel like this was still just a rumor/theory that just got really out of hand, but it does make for an interesting discussion nonetheless.
It's about as interesting as discussing about whether the earth is flat or not.
Boy Kojima sure did a number on everyone with MGS2, so much that they just don't believe when everyone involved with the game has come out and said Quiet is not Chico.
This so fucking much, i've wanted for a long time to write an article about how MGS2 has scarred a generation of gamers into doubting everything they see and hear, and to seeing patterns that aren't there.

But i don't have the writing ability to do so, unfortunately.
Wasn't there a Kojima Station in which Kojima and Stephanie confirmed that Quiet is indeed a woman?
There was, i watched it.

So, someone just asked me out of the blue if I'm excited for MGO and my answer was no, and it only just hit me how sad it is that the game will probably be DOA, given all the excitement surrounding it back in December. ;_;

original.jpg

Someone posted this on Metal Gear Informer. It has to do with the MGSV companion app, so if this picture is real it does confirm the presence of a companion app.

brau

104228-hi.jpg

4chan is claiming that this image supports the fact that we don't play as Big Boss. They state that this achievement (Complete "TRUTH: THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD" mission) refers to the last mission and that the character in this photo misses the scar and the horn alluding to the fact we don't actually play as Big Boss.

SPOILERS

They should pass the herbs they are smoking in their phantom cigar.

Muffdraul

104228-hi.jpg

4chan is claiming that this image supports the fact that we don't play as Big Boss. They state that this achievement (Complete "TRUTH: THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD" mission) refers to the last mission and that the character in this photo misses the scar and the horn alluding to the fact we don't actually play as Big Boss.

SPOILERS

The horn isn't growing over the course of the game, it's a piece of shrapnel that is gradually being pushed out of the wound over time as the body heals. I've always assumed that by the end of the story it's finally going to be pushed all the way out. So if that cheevo icon represents the end of the game that that makes sense to me.

The horn isn't growing over the course of the game, it's a piece of shrapnel that is gradually being pushed out of the wound over time as the body heals. I've always assumed that by the end of the story it's finally going to be pushed all the way out. So if that cheevo icon represents the end of the game that that makes sense to me.

Why do people say this, if the giant horn was real it'd have been like a foot deep into his brain if so and would have to rip his skull apart to come out. There's other explanations that make a lot more sense than that.

so you are saying its not real??????

This is bigger than
Chico is Quiet.

There's no way the giant one is real, not sure about the smaller version.

Are there any documented cases of
A giant piece of metal entering someone's head, and barely leaving any visible hole in their forehead while they go into a coma? And then slowly emerging from their brain, pointed end first, wider end moving up dislodging bone and brain matter before plopping out leaving a nice patch of unblemished skin?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

Yep that's exactly how i view it.

MattyG

Banned
How do trophies work with Transfarring (lol) PW saves between PS3 and PSP. I'd like to play it on both (was going to buy it on PSP and play on Vita since it's only $20), since odds are I won't always be at home when I want to play, but I also want to still be earning trophies. Will they pop when I transfer them back, or will it just be a unreliable pain in my ass about it?

Mexen

This so fucking much, i've wanted for a long time to write an article about how MGS2 has scarred a generation of gamers into doubting everything they see and hear, and to seeing patterns that aren't there.

But i don't have the writing ability to do so, unfortunately.

Podcast? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Like what?

It's not my personal theory that it's a piece of shrapnel, I thought that came straight from KP right after it was first revealed two years ago or whenever. Also confirmed by the early June previews.

Like it's surgically removed? And the xray they showed in e3 2013 didn't have an enormous spike going deep into his brain, it was just how it looks when it's small.

Muffdraul

Like it's surgically removed? And the xray they showed in e3 2013 didn't have an enormous spike going deep into his brain, it was just how it looks when it's small.

I know I've seen/heard of at least a few instances in history where someone suffered traumatic brain injury and they couldn't remove the foreign object because that would cause more damage. Obviously in this case it's fricking extreme and not very realistic, but do I really need to start listing other examples of such things in MGS?

I don't expect anything about it to be realistic, but this horn would have to be made of shape-memory-alloy to fit into the MGS universe. It gets visibly longer, you can see that because it doesn't really get wider at the base, and it gets more pointier at the tip, it's stretching, basically, so even if what we're seeing is 100% real, it still doesn't fit the 'slowly being pushed out' idea.

Muffdraul

I don't expect anything about it to be realistic, but this horn would have to be made of shape-memory-alloy to fit into the MGS universe. It gets visibly longer, you can see that because it doesn't really get wider at the base, and it gets more pointier at the tip, it's stretching, basically, so even if what we're seeing is 100% real, it still doesn't fit the 'slowly being pushed out' idea.

If the tip is pointier, then it has to be wider at the base. Can't have that both ways. You can tell its wider because in the shots when it's longer, it appears as if it's also moved diagonally down toward his nose. It's a relatively flat piece of shrapnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom