• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy

Quick question, which gameplay demo had Jackie using the horse poop to cause the jeep to loose control. please.?

Shy

Thank you brother.
ZOcTmr4.gif

i thought of what we could call the TPP spoiler thread.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Spoiler |OT| Now go! let the spoilers come back to life.

What do you guys think. ?

Pretty gud.

METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN
|OT|:

-Good news is, the game is out. Bad news is the world wants YOU spoiled.

-This is Piquod! Stay out of the Spoiler-Zone!
I like these. I hope you don't mind that I made a small adjustment.

Here are my own:

- Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Spoiler |OT| Kaz.. I'm already [REDACTED]

- Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Spoiler |OT| Unfortunately, spoiling is one of those things that gets easier the more you do it

That one's a Solid quote from MGS that resonates pretty well, and when I came across it again yesterday it and the small bit of "The Best is yet to come" playing in the background made me think about how it'll be pretty relevant to MGSV as well.

The full quote is:
"Listen, Meryl. Everyone feels sick the first time they kill someone. Unfortunately, killing is one of those things that get easier the more you do it. In a war, all of mankind's worst emotions...worst traits come out. Its easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield."

Seems like an appropriate quote to start an MGSV trailer off of, if only it wasn't a quote from the series itself.

i know a few people (myself included) assumed MGO might be DOA, hearing that they are still working on it is positive news.

Oh literally canceled? I've raised that myself but don't really think so. It's an odd situation though.

Yeah it's weird but I still stand by my statements that there is really no way Konami will cancel MGO3, it is a lead-in to their first main Metal Gear without Kojima, and they need the remainder of Kojima Productions LA to stick around as its developers. They'll also probably experiment with furthering micro transactions in it, which I don't think will really be a problem for organized clans like GAF will likely set up, since no risk of random whales blowing up the match... Wait, Moby Dick, whales, micro transactions, Konami vs Kojima meta commentary... Nah.

AAMARMO

Banned
MGS5 theory:
i was watching the E3 2013 red banner trailer and i notice that there is a camp omega scene that is set in the day. While watching this i remember them leak on 4chan that might be true. with one of them saying something about
Ground Zeroes happens in The Phantom Pain, but in a very, very different way. Ground Zeroes as you played it is a misrepresentation of an event the real Big Boss lived, only experienced by Venom Snake as he is in comatose status during his growth.
. so my theory is that the person who is getting killed in camp omega in the trailer is
CHICO

brau

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Spoiler |OT| Ashes and Pain

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Spoilers |OT| Will always be with you

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Spoiler |OT| Dawg got juniored for this

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Spoiler |OT| Phantom Cigar through it

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Spoiler |OT| Finally, Quiet is Chico Confirmed

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Spoiler |OT| Farewell Sausage

MGS5 theory:
i was watching the E3 2013 red banner trailer and i notice that there is a camp omega scene that is set in the day. While watching this i remember them leak on 4chan that might be true. with one of them saying something about
Ground Zeroes happens in The Phantom Pain, but in a very, very different way. Ground Zeroes as you played it is a misrepresentation of an event the real Big Boss lived, only experienced by Venom Snake as he is in comatose status during his growth.
. so my theory is that the person who is getting killed in camp omega in the trailer is
CHICO
Hmm, while I don't disbelieve there may be some trickery involved with Camp Omega and indications that those who import their saves in TPP will be able to do something "cool", I can't say that your read of that scene works. The guy being shot is just too tall, he's as tall as the marine seen to the right of him, he's just slouched in his stance.

I see this scene as just a deleted scene that was deemed unnecessary in GZ or perhaps it was made just for the trailer. The argument for taking it out of the game is of course that if it occurred in one if the missions in GZ, then the player would have to skip the scene every time they came to that part, and they could get frustrated that despite having a great deal of control in tackling missions, they could never save that prisoner for some reason. Remember, Kojima has often said that thr ratio of cutscenes to gameplay will be scarcer than usual MGS games, so Extra Ops will probably refrain from too many scripted sequences.

Either that or it was a planned and timed gameplay moment that would have occurred and the cinematic view was just for the trailer. Like they'd execute him in 10 minutes or something, but that was probably deemed unrewarding and restricting, especially for GZ which has often been touted as a sort of tutorial sandbox for TPP.

Or, it was cut not just because it would mess with the mission flow of Extra Ops and all these other reasons, but because Kojima decided later on characterizing the marines of Camp Omega a little differently. If I'm not mistaken, its said in game that Skullface runs the base with XOF troops, they do all of the interrogations and are mostly the only ones to interact with prisoners, while the marines just guard the base. Some from their dialogue seem not to even be sure about what goes on there, and would prefer to stay out of it. I'm guessing then that most of the troops are not supposed to be seen as explicitly malicious evil, just gray morailty guards of a fucked up interrogation facility. So them just torturing a guy for sport and then killing him probably doesn't send the right message Kojima wanted to convey with the marines.

A similar or exactly the same scene (aside from location and actors) may occur in TPP though, and Kojima wanted to fit the animation to the E3 2013 trailer without spoiling the actual scene in TPP. It wouldn't be the first time that assets were removed or changed to avoid early spoilers on MGSV trailers, seen in how the E3 2015 trailer has some scenes from the 2014 one, except certain people or objects are missing from the earlier one (Ocelot and Huey, the AI pod).

Does anybody know the inspiration behind the flapjaw space craziness? Or is it just nonesense for the sake of nonesense.

Nonsense through and through, I may be wrong whether it is a reference, but its meant just to freak and weird out the player. They say all this around the same time as they break the fourth wall all over the place. In universe, the Patriots are just having fun screwing with Raiden and making him doubt himself as part of their S3 tests. Out of universe, this moment and others shortly after are meant to completely break the suspension of disbelief the player builds up around the game. It's meant to challenge the beliefs of the player and Raiden at the same time.

Betty

Banned
A similar or exactly the same scene (aside from location and actors) may occur in TPP though, and Kojima wanted to fit the animation to the E3 2013 trailer without spoiling the actual scene in TPP.

I think this has the best chance of being right.

The animation for Snake taking down Miller's arm and placing his sunglasses on is used in Ground Zeroes at the end of the mission when rescuing Kojima for example.

I think this has the best chance of being right.

The animation for Snake taking down Miller's arm and placing his sunglasses on is used in Ground Zeroes at the end of the mission when rescuing Kojima for example.

Yeah, there are also some recycled animations it seems between the short E3 2015 trailer and the E3 2014 trailer (Big Boss aiming at the camera).

he hates all of LES...but why...Liquid, along with Solid and Solidus had no choice in being created, they didn't ask to be clones of Big Boss? its illogical

That too. but don't forget, according to Liquid, Big Boss was especially hard on him.

To both of these:
Well, he looks like a pretty troublesome fellow in the footage we've seen of "totally not Liquid" Eli. I expect Eli antagonizes him purposefully, but may end up actually being one of the most loyal people to BB in the end of the game along with Ocelot and maybe "totally not Psycho Mantis". Big Boss never interacted with the other clones as kids it seems (please let there be at least a Solidus Teenager cameo), so it would make sense why at least Solid was treated better. Because BB was training an adult, seemingly the most like him in his earlier days, so he could possibly relate more to Solid.

Makes you wonder why he didn't make a better effort to indoctrinate Solid, but maybe he too always planned on killing Solid, since he perhaps feared being surpassed like Liquid did later. That might have been why he "hated" all of them, since they were too much of a mirror that reminded him of what he had become, and also it frightened him to see that he could be easily replaced and surpassed.

|OT| Chico, please be Quiet

I think I remember that one being thrown around before.

We have a winner.

Yeah, "words that kill" is simple, effective and relevant. I still prefer some of the others I've quoted (or made) though.

Shy

Who is making the OT, could we get Bruce leeroy to make it. ?
he hates all of LES...but why...Liquid, along with Solid and Solidus had no choice in being created, they didn't ask to be clones of Big Boss? its illogical
Again. We don't know any of the facts. just wait until the games comes out,

Gun Animal

Hmm, while I don't disbelieve there may be some trickery involved with Camp Omega and indications that those who import their saves in TPP will be able to do something "cool", I can't say that your read of that scene works. The guy being shot is just too tall, he's as tall as the marine seen to the right of him, he's just slouched in his stance.

I see this scene as just a deleted scene that was deemed unnecessary in GZ or perhaps it was made just for the trailer. The argument for taking it out of the game is of course that if it occurred in one if the missions in GZ, then the player would have to skip the scene every time they came to that part, and they could get frustrated that despite having a great deal of control in tackling missions, they could never save that prisoner for some reason. Remember, Kojima has often said that thr ratio of cutscenes to gameplay will be scarcer than usual MGS games, so Extra Ops will probably refrain from too many scripted sequences.

Either that or it was a planned and timed gameplay moment that would have occurred and the cinematic view was just for the trailer. Like they'd execute him in 10 minutes or something, but that was probably deemed unrewarding and restricting, especially for GZ which has often been touted as a sort of tutorial sandbox for TPP.

Or, it was cut not just because it would mess with the mission flow of Extra Ops and all these other reasons, but because Kojima decided later on characterizing the marines of Camp Omega a little differently. If I'm not mistaken, its said in game that Skullface runs the base with XOF troops, they do all of the interrogations and are mostly the only ones to interact with prisoners, while the marines just guard the base. Some from their dialogue seem not to even be sure about what goes on there, and would prefer to stay out of it. I'm guessing then that most of the troops are not supposed to be seen as explicitly malicious evil, just gray morailty guards of a fucked up interrogation facility. So them just torturing a guy for sport and then killing him probably doesn't send the right message Kojima wanted to convey with the marines.

A similar or exactly the same scene (aside from location and actors) may occur in TPP though, and Kojima wanted to fit the animation to the E3 2013 trailer without spoiling the actual scene in TPP. It wouldn't be the first time that assets were removed or changed to avoid early spoilers on MGSV trailers, seen in how the E3 2015 trailer has some scenes from the 2014 one, except certain people or objects are missing from the earlier one (Ocelot and Huey, the AI pod).

Nonsense through and through, I may be wrong whether it is a reference, but its meant just to freak and weird out the player. They say all this around the same time as they break the fourth wall all over the place. In universe, the Patriots are just having fun screwing with Raiden and making him doubt himself as part of their S3 tests. Out of universe, this moment and others shortly after are meant to completely break the suspension of disbelief the player builds up around the game. It's meant to challenge the beliefs of the player and Raiden at the same time.

I can't imagine that scene ever being used as is because plain ol' American soldiers wouldn't execute a POW in cold blood like that. Torture, humiliate maybe. But for what's depicted in that scene, I think it's probably mercenaries or XOF agents who will use those animations in the final game.

I can't imagine that scene ever being used as is because plain ol' American soldiers wouldn't execute a POW in cold blood like that. Torture, humiliate maybe. But for what's depicted in that scene, I think it's probably mercenaries or XOF agents who will use those animations in the final game.

Yup, that was part of my point. Certainly they could have put it in as is, but part of the problem was that they didn't characterize the marines that way. Camp Omega is attempting some realism, so the marines would not have done that, which is why they didn't in the actual canon of the games. Trailers for Kojima games can be quite misrepresentative as we all know.

Personally, I see XOF troops as not being quite as hardcore as the Parasite Unit, but still pretty brainwashed and disciplined. I'm sure that much of the behind the scenes torture stuff was done without any marines being involved or knowing, and the XOF troops were certainly behind most of it, but I don't think even XOF troops match up to the animation.

I don't see them as being likely to or maybe even capable of torturing for amusement, only on orders. They could be a critique of completely loyal soldiers who have the excuse of just "following orders", but know what they are doing is wrong and don't stop. That would not necessarily work perfectly with my theory that they are mostly quite indoctrinated though, so I don't know.

All I'm saying is that even XOF troops don't make a ton of sense for this, since they seem very disciplined and do horrible things under orders, not for pleasure. Diamond Dogs and other mercenary forces on the other hand...

I've talked before about my theory that things fall apart in V because Diamond Dogs recruits more straight up immoral people than MSF, and thus there us infighting on wages, pride for supposedly abandoned nationality, and probably racism. Diamond Dogs method may produce a more effective nation state with a cult of personality focused on Big Boss than even MSF did, but its mission statement of "revenge at all costs and by any means" will attract more people there to make a profit and to kill for the fun of it. Instead of MSF's somewhat more tame mission of making a place for soldiers by trying to resolve military conflicts quickly for those in need.

The heights of people's loyalty to BB or Kaz (I predict a civil war) is probably much higher than with MSF, but there are also probably a much greater amount of people who are unloyal to him, and those who joined Diamond Dogs to commit war crimes for a profit, particularly as the game progresses and the enemies you recruit become more and more unforgivable just as BB does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom