• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loakum

Banned
Wow...strolling through the old pages wages some gems. This art work is bananas!

Some MGSV art from Eliant Elias. Dude is really talented.

CKV2a9NUkAArrnN.jpg:large

CKVu22BVAAASW5l.jpg:large

CJu2hR7UwAArCtM.jpg:large

CKWgmkyUMAAOMv6.jpg:large

Loakum

Banned
He was bullied because the truth is:
S4nic is Yong

Lol, even if that was true, people weren't being rude about him.

lol, I read the pages...it seems folks are getting a little stir crazy waiting on the game. It happens. We're all Brothers here. Besides, that was a pretty tame dispute, when compared to others I've seen in the community. Words Can Kill, but those words shouldn't had even caused a flesh wound. lol

guys...does Kojima have to portray Big Boss as an 100 percent villain by the end of TPP?

I always seen Big Boss as a complex/sympathetic character. Like his mentor "The Boss" he done terrible things, because he was hired to do so. It was his mission. I have my doubt he will be 100% evil in the Phantom Pain, but we'll find out soon enough. :)

lol, I read the pages...it seems folks are getting a little stir crazy waiting on the game. It happens. We're all Brothers here. Besides, that was a pretty tame dispute, when compared to others I've seen in the community. Words Can Kill, but those words shouldn't had even caused a flesh wound. lol

True, however you gotta respect other people's opinions. Some think Yong is trash and others like his 1 hr theory plus videos on a 3 min trailer.

Loakum

Banned
True, however you gotta respect other people's opinions. Some think Yong is trash and others like his 1 his hr theory plus videos on a 3 min trailer.

True. I'm not taking anyone's side (because I would gladly betray everyone here for that Limited Edition MGSV TPP PS4 console) ...but I hate to see the Brotherhood of MGS-Gaf fragmented for any reason.

Shy

True. I'm not taking anyone's side (because I would gladly betray everyone here for that Limited Edition MGSV TPP PS4 console) ...but I hate to see the Brotherhood of MGS-Gaf fragmented for any reason.
It was sn4ke that started all of that mess, so you should lay the blame at his feet.

He obviously means would Kaz and Ocolot hook up, since Big Boss is out of the picture. I say yes. You can see the buring passion in Kaz's milky white eyes.
No, i know what the question is, i don't understand why he/she's asking it, unless Midnight hasn't played any of the previous MGS games (which is fine) because you wouldn't need to ask a question like that if you had, We already know what happens with them.

GHound

I know I had to delete a post or two that I was going to make in that thread because I knew it just wasn't going to end well.

Yeah. I took one look in there and thought about posting... I inevitably decided it wasn't worth the time or effort. Some people are simply belligerent about their opinion and in their eyes, anyone who doesn't agree with them is a fanboy with blinders on.
Or to the other side of the argument, a Konami shill.

Treating your own opinion as objective fact and attempting to denounce people that disagree is pretty much Troll Tactics 101.

Assuming the speculation from Muranaka is true and this game had been pushed out months ago unfinished, then what? People would be on GAF moaning about the game being broken/incomplete/unsatisfying/etc.

If it isn't, the whole Kojima/Konami thing could be... really it could be anything. Kojima and some executives could have went out drinking and Kojima could have let it slip that he
fucked their moms
. ;)

Loakum

Banned
It was sn4ke that started all of that mess, so you should lay the blame at his feet.

I'm not even blaming anyone for what happened. Stuff happens. Things were said. We're still brother under the banner of MGS-GAF. That's how I look at it. Now having said all that...I gotta figure out how I'm gonna get that Limited Edition MGSV TPP PS4 console!

Shy

I'm not even blaming anyone for what happened. Stuff happens. Things were said. We're still brother under the banner of MGS-GAF. That's how I look at it. Now having said all that...I gotta figure out how I'm gonna get that Limited Edition MGSV TPP PS4 console!
I know you're not, but i'm letting you know how that shit started.

Hope you're able to snag a PS4.
I think he'll be about as sympathetic as Solidus by the end,
God i hope not, Big Boss should be monster at the end, and if he was, it would be one of my biggest fears i've had for a long time come true, that Kojima is softening BB from what he was.
Solidus wasn't anywhere near as bad of any of the MGS villians.
and still significantly more sympathetic than someone like Volgin or Skullface.
Volgin isn't meant to sympathetic at all.

Loakum

Banned
I think he'll be about as sympathetic as Solidus by the end, and still significantly more sympathetic than someone like Volgin or Skullface.

I'm not 100% convinced Skullface is an bad gun. I know the whole Paz/Chico tape #4 thing was horrific, but it was a method to break his detainees to gather information. War is hell..m'kay.

I know you're not, but i'm letting you know how that shit started.

Hope you're able to snag a PS4.

I see and read how it went down. I know. If all else fails, I could always steal Dawg's Limited Edition MGSV TPP PS4. Who let's a dog carry a PS4 out of a store? It would be like taking baby from a candy.

GHound

A solo infiltration of the main TPP PS4 production facility... should be the perfect warm up.

guys...does Kojima have to portray Big Boss as an 100 percent villain by the end of TPP?

Probably not a 100% villain, despite what Kojima says. He'll do some bad stuff sure, but I doubt it'll be anything super evil that can't just be blamed on the realities of war or whatever. I still think he'll end up being closer to an anti-hero than a 100% villain, especially due to the nature of his conflict with Zero where there's no clear right or wrong.

Cathcart

*scribbles on notepad

Alright... so are you team Hayter or team Keifer? Which is your MGS Waifu preference? and what do you think Kojima will do after he is done with Konami?

And
Persona 4 Golden
is a good place to start.
Hayter, though I only played a few minutes of GZ to test it out earlier this year and Keifer seemed alright. I'm a big 24 fan so that should be fun. Isn't it possible to do JP voices in TPP? Always heard good things about their Snake, might give that a try for a bit if so.

Anyway, looking forward to GZ after my first play of PW. Just earned my eye patch in Snake Eater and I replayed 4 recently so PW is soonish.

Eva rocks, I'll go with her.

Personally I'm hoping Kojima buys a Hind D and flies around the world with a team of swimsuit models to drop in on important conferences with an hour long speech about the risk of nuclear deterrence failure and if love can bloom on the battlefield.

Adding Persona 4 to the backlog!
All of them!
NONE OF THEM!
Taking Persona 4 off of the backlog! lol jk :)
I have the big REX and I have to say that I expected better for 500 smackers. It feels a little flimsy in some parts.

It's currently sitting in its box -- where it has been for the last year -- the thing is massive, I don't have anywhere to put it anymore.

If I had the money I'd definitely get the half-scale version.
Ouch, sorry to hear it. Maybe you could eBay it and make some of the money back or use it for the mini? Thanks for the advice, though.

Welcome, brotherrrrrrr.

Welcome new brother.

omg welcome to our toxic community tbh :)!

Wow, long-time fan is an understatement!
Thanks, all!

Shy

Gun Animal

I'm not 100% convinced Skullface is an bad gun. I know the whole Paz/Chico tape #4 thing was horrific, but it was a method to break his detainees to gather information. War is hell..m'kay.

I see and read how it went down. I know. If all else fails, I could always steal Dawg's Limited Edition MGSV TPP PS4. Who let's a dog carry a PS4 out of a store? It would be like taking baby from a candy.
If Skullface isn't a bad guy then there are no real bad guys in the series, save maybe Fatman or Psycho Mantis who were truly nihilistically evil. You've got to consider A) the character's goals and B) what methods they used to reach those goals. Even if Skullface has goals you could agree with, his methods include raping kids, so, uhh.

Shy

If Skullface isn't a bad guy then there are no real bad guys in the series, save maybe Fatman or Psycho Mantis who were truly nihilistically evil. You've got to consider A) the character's goals and B) what methods they used to reach those goals. Even if Skullface has goals you could agree with, his methods include raping kids, so, uhh.
You wouldn't put Volgin in there as a true bad guy. ?

Skullface

Probably not a 100% villain, despite what Kojima says. He'll do some bad stuff sure, but I doubt it'll be anything super evil that can't just be blamed on the realities of war or whatever. I still think he'll end up being closer to an anti-hero than a 100% villain, especially due to the nature of his conflict with Zero where there's no clear right or wrong.

I don't know. I think we're conditioned to like Big Boss at this point. We joined him on his journey when he was young and naive. We've seen him prevent a huge escalation of the Cold War. Even explain to a child how he shouldn't smoke.

Now in TPP, we have a certain outlook for how his character is to evolve. We're expecting him to recruit child soldiers, perhaps kill a few. Kill some of his own men. Fool the U.S. government by heading an elite military unit, all the while building a country dedicated to to provide a home to soldiers and provide them with a purpose by perpetually instigating conflict. I'm sure this will all be spun in a way where we sympathize with Big Boss. However, despite his intentions, he'll turn out to be a pretty evil dude.

Breaking Bad comes to mind. It was pretty difficult to view Walter White as a villain. We knew his intentions, we saw him when he was naive. We rooted for him. But he was an evil guy, murdering children, selling massive quantities of a terrible drug. Sure, you could argue that he was an anti hero, but only in terms of the narrative that we're fed. If we were to judge Walter White solely on his actions, it'd be pretty easy to label him a villain. I think this will be very similar to Big Boss by the end of Phantom Pain.

Gun Animal

You wouldn't put Volgin in there as a true bad guy. ?
The earlier poster's argument was basically that Skullface wasn't truly evil because he was working towards what he percieves as a greater good, so my impression of that poster's moral compass is that the only true evil is in nihilism: killing without a cause other than profit or pleasure.

Volgin seemed to have at least some political motivation, so that still puts him somewhere in the grey area with the likes of Liquid.

Shy

The earlier poster's argument was basically that Skullface wasn't truly evil because he was working towards what he percieves as a greater good, so my impression of that poster's moral compass is that the only true evil is in nihilism: killing without a cause other than profit or pleasure.
Ahh, i misunderstood. Sorry.
Volgin seemed to have at least some political motivation, so that still puts him somewhere in the grey area with the likes of Liquid.
Nah, he's far worse than liquid, Volgin is a war criminal.
At least Liquid isn't that bad.

Loakum

Banned

If Jamie Lannister can push an 12 year old boy off an tower, to fall to his death, be considered a good guy...then......*shrugs*

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Volgin was also pretty cookie cutter evil. His motivation boils down to a simplistic "get more power".

God i hope not, Big Boss should be monster at the end, and if he was, it would be one of my biggest fears i've had for a long time come true, that Kojima is softening BB from what he was.
Solidus wasn't anywhere near as bad of any of the MGS villians.

I agree that Big Boss needs to be very dark at the end, around the same level as Skullface, with a clear motivation that isn't entirely evil, but Solidus' war crimes can't be ignored. He explicitly does the same thing Big Boss is demonized for so often, recruiting child soldiers after killing their parents. He's basically a perfect shadow of Big Boss, who was likely more manipulated into such action by Patriot control, but he did it nonetheless. He enjoys killing just like all the Snakes, but unlike Solid and Liquid (as far as we know) he actually plunged to the same depths of evil as Big Boss before them.

His plan is somewhat ambiguous as to its goal after disrupting Patriot control. He'd stop Patriot co trol for at least Manhattan, but then what? I believe it wasn't going to be as bad as Liquid's/Ocelot's goal of total anarchy and chaos in Big Boss' name, but I also don't think Solidus' plan involved much more than stopping control and letting the world settle itself from there.

The patriot SOP control hadn't been yet completely implemented, but we can see parts of it shown in how the Tanker Incident was covered up from the world. It's likely that a disruption of the control would have brought a great deal of anarchy, and a catastrophic depression in the world economy. It's why Sunny programming a way to purge the Patriot war economy and information control parts and leave the civilian parts intact was necessary.

Dawg

I had collected all seven dragonballs.

Shenron himself appeared.

tumblr_lzmlz3uu8R1rokcc8o1_400.png

He looked at me and said:

Dawg, why have you summoned me? Tell me your wish now.

I didn't know what to say. All kinds of thoughts raced through my mind. World peace. Space travel. Super powers. Wealth. Immortality. I could even go back in time and fix the mistakes humanity has made. There was no limit to what I could do. This was it.

I closed my eyes, decided to follow my heart and told Shenron the one wish I wanted to make. The magical dragon looked at me with a face of disbelief and shock. It was then I knew I had made the right choice. But before I could celebrate, I fell down and everything went dark.

When I finally woke up again, I felt stronger. I was not the same person anymore. A small part of me thought everything that had just happened was just a bad dream, but deep inside I knew it wasn't. I ran to my room straight away, booted up my computer and went to NeoGAF. The webpage was loading slowly. My brother was streaming a movie at the exact same time, you see, building up the suspense.

When the webpage was done loading, I clicked on my username on the top right corner. Two seconds later, I knew my wish came true.

maxresdefault.jpg

(*) most of this post should be considered to be lame fanfiction

Skullface

so what system is more "evil" overall

Zero and The Patriots

or

Big Boss and Outer Heaven

I'd say they're both equally evil. The story of Metal Gear has essentially turned out to two mad men seeking world domination.

Completely unrelated, but is anyone else hoping that Big Boss lost his awkward nativity? I want him to be able to handle himself amidst a fem fatale's advances. I also don't want him believing in Santa -_-

I'd say they're both equally evil. The story of Metal Gear has essentially turned out to two mad men seeking world domination.

Completely unrelated, but is anyone else hoping that Big Boss lost his awkward nativity? I want him to be able to handle himself amidst a fem fatale's advances. I also don't want him believing in Santa -_-

boss_zero_mgs4.jpg

so its fair to say these 2 are the most influential men in the mgs universe

GHound

cZEt4IJ.jpg

Now you've just gone too far. BOO THIS MAN.

Wow. Seeing the MGO Twitter account makes me really sorry for the people who have worked on the game. I don't think anyone doubts that MGO3 has the potential to be a deep multiplayer component, but you've gotta wonder why we've seen literally FORTY TIMES as much of MGSV's single-player as we have MGO.

Loakum

Banned
I had collected all seven dragonballs.

Shenron himself appeared.

tumblr_lzmlz3uu8R1rokcc8o1_400.png

He looked at me and said:

Dawg, why have you summoned me? Tell me your wish now.

I didn't know what to say. All kinds of thoughts raced through my mind. World peace. Space travel. Super powers. Wealth. Immortality. I could even go back in time and fix the mistakes humanity has made. There was no limit to what I could do. This was it.

I closed my eyes, decided to follow my heart and told Shenron the one wish I wanted to make. The magical dragon looked at me with a face of disbelief and shock. It was then I knew I had made the right choice. But before I could celebrate, I fell down and everything went dark.

When I finally woke up again, I felt stronger. I was not the same person anymore. A small part of me thought everything that had just happened was just a bad dream, but deep inside I knew it wasn't. I ran to my room straight away, booted up my computer and went to NeoGAF. The webpage was loading slowly. My brother was streaming a movie at the exact same time, you see, building up the suspense.

When the webpage was done loading, I clicked on my username on the top right corner. Two seconds later, I knew my wish came true.

maxresdefault.jpg

(*) most of this post should be considered to be lame fanfiction

Oh great, make that nose an even bigger target! Galick Beam Cannon!

Loakum

Banned

This post pleases me greatly. This man gets it.

Zambatoh

Windows 10 from what I've seen of it so far, is basically just a slightly modified Windows 8.1.

If your stuff worked on that, I don't see why it wouldn't work on 10.

edit: Eh. Maybe not "slightly" exactly. But in terms of overall functionality, I find that the system in general works pretty much the same way it did before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom