• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skullface

Can someone perhaps give some insight on data compression and how the wizardry that is Phantom Pain is possible at 12 gigs on last gen systems? MGS4 was what, 50 gigs? I was honestly beginning to think that Phantom Pain was going to need multiple discs for the 360 edition. How is it that a game so large is only going to be roughly 1/5th the size of its predecessor? I'm not worried about the game based on its size, I'm just more intrigued with the technical aspect.

thabtoUK

who knows?
The Australian Classification Board Has Rated The Phantom Pain R18+

GzQO6Nk.png

http://www.classification.gov.au/Pa...3y+7cyVRXzYWRfEIaamsC5lQNLVh7BwRvZVqV1A%3d%3d

Shy

Solidus, heroic and evil, an excellent Kojima villain:
Wow, this is one of the best posts i've read in here, you made sit back and think about my views of Solidus.
"Oh, Kojima just made Solidus say he killed Jack's parents so the player would be motivated to kill him,"
Yeah i'm not going to lie, i thought that.
but please don't excuse the fact that he did just what Big Boss did in the past.
I used to, but now, well, i don't know. I really shouldn't.

Sorry that i'm not making a bigger reply that your post deserves, i need to think a little.

Please don't think i'm being sarcastic, i'm being sincere.

Gun Animal

Yea Valkyri, your post deserves its own thread tbh lol.

I disagre about why Solidus told Raiden that he killed his parents, though. I think he said it actually to help Raiden get over his own moral dilemma between Solidus and GW so that he and Solidus could have a fair fight witout Raiden doubting his actions. I think Solidus felt he at least owed Raiden a fighting chance (he threw him his sword, after all) and said that to get Raiden's head "back in the game" if you will. At least thats how I interpreted it at the time.

neoemonk

Brothers!

I have Peace Walker on my PSP (on UMD even!) and I also have MGS HD on the PS3. I've never played Peace Walker and I need to fix that before TPP. Which version should I play?

I played Ground Zeroes at launch and didn't know what was going on because of my lack of Peace Walker knowledge so I'll probably replay that as well.

Brothers!

I have Peace Walker on my PSP (on UMD even!) and I also have MGS HD on the PS3. I've never played Peace Walker and I need to fix that before TPP. Which version should I play?

I played Ground Zeroes at launch and didn't know what was going on because of my lack of Peace Walker knowledge so I'll probably replay that as well.

Pw on Ps3 brother !

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Solidus, heroic and evil, an excellent Kojima villain:

I actually think Solidus is the most heroic villain of the entire franchise, being the most noble in goal over every other, unless you really ever considered the Boss as being a villain. However, excusing of his past sins is not a good thing, and saying he is "nowhere near as bad" as any other MGS villain is ignores too much of his past to be an accurate statement. He really is Big Boss but less extreme, but that still includes "1. Kill parents 2. Adopt children and make into soldiers 3. Make them kill more parents, see step 1. 4. Rinse and repeat" as a central manner of action in his past, and there's no indication he feels any remorse for it, so continuing this trend in likely to have occurred in the future, had he reached his goal of disrupting Patriot control and lived on to fight for his own ideals.

I even watched and really liked that video you've linked, but Hyper Bit Hero's excuse for Solidus' hideous war crimes is pretty lame. Saying it was just "poorly executed" and was only an awkward moment is astounding, and really misses the depth of the character. It reduces the complexity of the character and really makes him too sympathetic for a Kojima villain to just say "Oh, but he didn't mean to turn Jack into a serial killer." "Oh, Kojima just made Solidus say he killed Jack's parents so the player would be motivated to kill him, he didn't think about how evil that would have made him.". No. Solidus told Raiden he killed his parents because it made the coming battle all the more thrilling for him. He killed Jack's parents because he wanted to see if he could manipulate Jack into becoming his "son" through only his memes. He considers both Jack and himself to be monsters made by man, and willingly forced Jack into that life.

Solidus is one of my favorite villains in the entire series, I was pretty disappointed he didn't show up as a cynorg in MGR, and I'd be saddened for us not to get more of him in MGSV before Kojima can no longer add to his character, but please don't excuse the fact that he did just what Big Boss did in the past.

(Sorry for moving my reply to a new post instead of leaving it as an edit to my earlier one, just didn't want to get left being on the new page.)

Yea Valkyri, your post deserves its own thread tbh lol.

I disagre about why Solidus told Raiden that he killed his parents, though. I think he said it actually to help Raiden get over his own moral dilemma between Solidus and GW so that he and Solidus could have a fair fight witout Raiden doubting his actions. I think Solidus felt he at least owed Raiden a fighting chance (he threw him his sword, after all) and said that to get Raiden's head "back in the game" if you will. At least thats how I interpreted it at the time.

I heartily endorse these posts.

Bio5ith

Neo Member
Does anyone think that Peace Walker is significantly better in co-op? I've only ever played it in single player on PS3, I was wondering if I was missing out.

Also, it's my first time posting in this thread, hi.

Does anyone think that Peace Walker is significantly better in co-op? I've only ever played it in single player on PS3, I was wondering if I was missing out.

Yes sir

I love coop in pw

Single player is pretty mundane and really boring especially in boss fights. Coop makes it fun.

Skullface

Welcome brother! I too have only played single player. Metal Gear has never been the type of game I've been interested in playing any other way than single player solo sneaking. I'll probably not use living buddies much or at all even in Phantom Pain, such as DD or Quiet.

That being said, people here seem to love co-op. I'm sure that you'll have no problem finding someone willing to co-op it up with you. Cheers, and welcome to OuterGAF!

Dawg

I prefer to do sneaking missions alone.

Vehicle missions, though? Fuck yeah, co-op best way to play.

Bio5ith

Neo Member
Yes sir

I love coop in pw

Single player is pretty mundane and really boring especially in boss fights. Coop makes it fun.

I prefer to do sneaking missions alone.

Vehicle missions, though? Fuck yeah, co-op best way to play.

Yeah, it was mainly the boss fights that didn't seem that fun to me in single player when I played through Peace Walker.

Welcome brother! I too have only played single player. Metal Gear has never been the type of game I've been interested in playing any other way than single player solo sneaking. I'll probably not use living buddies much or at all even in Phantom Pain, such as DD or Quiet.

That being said, people here seem to love co-op. I'm sure that you'll have no problem finding someone willing to co-op it up with you. Cheers, and welcome to OuterGAF!
Thanks for the welcome, I've also been thinking of playing The Phantom Pain with minimal buddy help, but I'm a little bit sad at the prospect of missing out on the evolving relationship mechanic with them

Error1355

Yeah, I've been modding a few of the asinine 'leak' topics on TPP boards on GameFAQs. >_>

I think one claimed that Big Boss was actually
the helicopter

I will not klick any spoiler tags.

I have failed at following this. I will totally spoil myself because I thirst for more information.

Sorry about that gents, it's been a while since i last added anyone, and i forgot. But now i sent out the invites and you should both have them

My Steam name is 'Error1355' as well. Totally add me as well. :D

I'm playing through this series for the first time atm, finished MGS1 a couple days ago and really enjoyed it (apart from a few frustrating boss fights :p)

However I'm a few hours into MGS2 and is Kojima trolling me with "Jack" and "Rose"

like really...

Bio5ith

Neo Member
I'm playing through this series for the first time atm, finished MGS1 a couple days ago and really enjoyed it (apart from a few frustrating boss fights :p)

However I'm a few hours into MGS2 and is Kojima trolling me with "Jack" and "Rose"

like really...

It's an intentional Titanic reference. Kojima said it was because you see them after seeing a ship sink in the Tanker mission or something, I think.
Yeah, it's in this video.
https://youtu.be/z24A40S4uEw?t=373

It's an intentional Titanic reference. Kojima said it was because you see them after seeing a ship sink in the Tanker mission or something, I think.
Oh.... okay. It's a bit clumsy imo, it brings me out of the experience a bit because it's not just like a one off reference thing, it's pretty constant.

Bio5ith

Neo Member
Oh.... okay. It's a bit clumsy imo, it brings me out of the experience a bit because it's not just like a one off reference thing, it's pretty constant.

I don't see it as particularly different to David and Hal in MGS1 but I guess their character's names aren't mentioned as much. When I first played MGS2 I didn't even think about it to be honest

also remember how the colonel said "i need to ask one thing from you rose. Please call him raiden"

then the next minute she calls him jack

I don't see it as particularly different to David and Hal in MGS1 but I guess their character's names aren't mentioned as much. When I first played MGS2 I didn't even think about it to be honest
...I didn't even notice that one, heh.
also remember how the colonel said "i need to ask one thing from you rose. Please call him raiden"

then the next minute she calls him jack
Yup LOL I was thinking that too :p

Embearded

The Nvidia promotion gave out keys already. I purchased a 970 last week.

Have fun with your new card!
So they started giving keys with 970 cards but the option to pre order the game is still unavailable in Steam... hmm... I don't know what to think about that.
I have a hard time finding a way to buy the game from Greece due to capital controls.

Edit:

They finally added a picture on the wishlist entry.

I've watched all the cutscenes and read an obscene amount of wiki articles about PO and PW. Do you think I would still greatly benefit from a PW playthrough before hand? Or should I focus on a refresher of 4 (even though I know the game and all the information, seeing how the GAME presents it again would be nice instead of just info I've refreshed on over time.)

GHound

just re watch the gdc 2013 gameplay is it me but dose big boss sound different.

EDIT: Also who is this person https://youtu.be/0qhPoT4coOI?t=1h6m45s and also you can see Stefanie Joosten https://youtu.be/0qhPoT4coOI?t=1h6m10s

Boy I haven't seen this in a while.
It's not just you, but that'd be due to him having just come out of a nine year coma I imagine.

"Good news? You're in the land of the living. Bad news? Whole world wants you dead."

Now where else have I-

"It's not just them, the whole world wants you dead."

Huh...

Skullface

I've watched all the cutscenes and read an obscene amount of wiki articles about PO and PW. Do you think I would still greatly benefit from a PW playthrough before hand? Or should I focus on a refresher of 4 (even though I know the game and all the information, seeing how the GAME presents it again would be nice instead of just info I've refreshed on over time.)

Playing those games are a great way to kill this next month. Play the games breh.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Australian Board provided a checklist.

Hold onto your butts, my friends. There's a high impact of "Themes"

tYjLhWf.png

one thing i always wanted to know

does the ESRB or any video game rating organization...

do they finish the whole game before they rate it, or do they just play to a certain point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom