• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan_MSF

Okay so I watched the video all the way through and it's just an opinion piece on the game theres no spoilers for the game so theres no worries, however this is slightly different to others because it's slightly negative as compared to everything else we've heard so far.

0C7ux7y.jpg

This is just a summary of his overall thoughts but he goes into more detail in the video. RE: the weapon unlocks, he said that up to around mission 15 all the weapons you can unlock are lethal, however because there is such a reliance on upgrading motherbase you need to basically spare most of the enemies, so you're kinda stuck with the tranq gun and CQC for a large part of the time he was able to play etc.

Theres nothing spoilery though in this video so feel free to watch!

I watched the video, the one thing I have a problem with is that the Jeux Video guy said that he didn't spend much time upgrading his mother base.

That makes me believe that the reason he didn't have the tools was because he didn't pay attention to it, which lead to his perceived difficulty spike.

Jimmydg

WAT? Tell me more about this, please?

Yeong has one of the coolest names in the history of names, IMHO. His Mother Base walkthrough needs to be legendary.

I'm not sure if it's irony lol

If interrogate an enemy he can tell you the frequency with which cancel the alarm. Once you have used, you have to find it again.
I interrogate the soldiers the last time I played MGS3, but they never told me that.

realcZk

I watched the video, the one thing I have a problem with is that the Jeux Video guy said that he didn't spend much time upgrading his mother base.

That makes me believe that the reason he didn't have the tools was because he didn't pay attention to it, which lead to his perceived difficulty spike.

Well... there's always micro-transactions...

fkTcZCv.png

But I do wonder if unlocks are really that time consuming or if it was mostly due to his limited playtime and desire to progress the story quicker that ultimately let to him putting MB on the backburner. Also, couldn't he have just focused one area of MB like in peacewalker to develop the STN weapons? I would think that if you want those guns early on you can funnel your soldiers into R&D/Medical ASAP, but this is all assumption based on my Peace Walker experience.

Hi all. So I finally got around to play the the Metal Gear Solid game after getting some advice in this thread a while ago (would've done it sooner, but moving house kinda got in the way) and while I was playing MGS:2 I found myself noticing that...

usP7tM6.jpg

Kind of in the right light, while squinting a bit, and looking through a misty window while half asleep looks like Jack/Raiden...

55spqLk.png

He even did the same "blinky" thing. And that's what he looked like while someone drew an artistic pencil-esque sketch of him during...

Iw43pG7.png

I know it's not. I'm guessing the actual person it is is already known considering the file name of the original picture from the trail, but I've tried to avoid to much info about the new game considering I'm tyet to get through all the old ones But I'm guessing I'm aboard conspiracy theory hype train now.

Looking forward to this game now.

Venom Fox

Banned
Hi all. So I finally got around to play the the Metal Gear Solid game after getting some advice in this thread a while ago (would've done it sooner, but moving house kinda got in the way) and while I was playing MGS:2 I found myself noticing that...

usP7tM6.jpg

Kind of in the right light, while squinting a bit, and looking through a misty window while half asleep looks like Jack/Raiden...

55spqLk.png

He even did the same "blinky" thing. And that's what he looked like while someone drew an artistic pencil-esque sketch of him during...

Iw43pG7.png

I know it's not. I'm guessing the actual person it is is already known considering the file name of the original picture from the trail, but I've tried to avoid to much info about the new game considering I'm tyet to get through all the old ones But I'm guessing I'm aboard conspiracy theory hype train now.

What? If Raiden was Paz how did he conceive his son...
Stupid theory.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

usP7tM6.jpg

55spqLk.png

Iw43pG7.png

Someone please mail this to Yong, the new Chico is Quiet.

Ryan_MSF

usP7tM6.jpg

55spqLk.png

Iw43pG7.png

Pythonselkan.... is that you?

RK9039

This piano arrangement of the four main trailer songs is wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVFhp7LQHa8&index=2&list=LLppZlEOpwvBJ97EmCvAMDEA

Pretty damn cool.

usP7tM6.jpg

55spqLk.png

Iw43pG7.png

Coincidence?

RK9039

That explains why Paz, aka Raiden, is still alive after Ground Zeroes because he was obviously revived by the white stuff we see in MGS4. Paz was "killed" in GZ when it was raining and in MGS4 Raiden says it was raining the day he was born.

Coincidence?

Gun Animal

Remember when Snake Eater was coming out and everyone was convinced it was actually about a time traveling Solid Snake?

Remember when Guns of the Patriots was coming out and everyone was convinced that all the footage was flipped and that Old Snake was really Big Boss?

Remember when Peace Walker was coming out and people thought Big Boss was actually multiple clones of Big Boss because of the co-op tease in one of the trailers?

These theories ain't ever right and it would be Kojima's lowest moment if any of them actually were.

edit: on the subject of armpit hair, Olga didn't even have that much! She looked like she went maybe 2-3 weeks without shaving, which isn't really a big deal. It's only when it gets all bushy and unmanaged that it starts being a problem---same for pubes tbh.

Remember when Snake Eater was coming out and everyone was convinced it was actually about a time traveling Solid Snake?

Remember when Guns of the Patriots was coming out and everyone was convinced that all the footage was flipped and that Old Snake was really Big Boss?

Remember when Peace Walker was coming out and people thought Big Boss was actually multiple clones of Big Boss because of the co-op tease in one of the trailers?

These theories ain't ever right and it would be Kojima's lowest moment if any of them actually were.

oh my god who cares, let people have their fun the game is out in less than a month

Gun Animal

oh my god who cares, let people have their fun the game is out in less than a month
Sorry, it's just that all these "X is really X" theories are starting to blur together. At least the OP of that thread about numbers on POW jumpsuits in GZ didn't follow the same formula as nearly every wrong fan theory since 2003.

Kindekuma

Banned

That's a legit good reason right there. If you keep your base upgraded, GMP should flow in, and development should be much faster. I'm hoping that the new MB video will show to people how vital it is to keeping that aspect of the game as updated as possible.

From what I heard from the LA boot camp, many press members simply ignored MB because they wanted to rush the story to see if they could beat it in time. But if you ignore Mother Base, you'll hit a wall on what kind of progress you want to make.

pahamrick

That's a legit good reason right there. If you keep your base upgraded, GMP should flow in, and development should be much faster. I'm hoping that the new MB video will show to people how vital it is to keeping that aspect of the game as updated as possible.

From what I heard from the LA boot camp, many press members simply ignored MB because they wanted to rush the story to see if they could beat it in time. But if you ignore Mother Base, you'll hit a wall on what kind of progress you want to make.

Frankly, I don't think the mother base mechanic for V should be all that much different from PW, just enhanced / improved upon.

I didn't even have to spend an inordinate amount of time messing with mother base stuff in PW to keep GMP flowing in and gear constantly researched so I always had the latest and greatest available to Snake.

I think I've spent more time in inventory and crafting menus in various RPGs than I ever did in MB menus.

Kindekuma

Banned
Frankly, I don't think the mother base mechanic for V should be all that much different from PW, just enhanced / improved upon.

I didn't even have to spend an inordinate amount of time messing with mother base stuff in PW to keep GMP flowing in and gear constantly researched so I always had the latest and greatest available to Snake.

I think I've spent more time in inventory and crafting menus in various RPGs than I ever did in MB menus.

And really, it's not that far off from PW too. Have you tried skipping MB aspects and going from mission to mission? It becomes extremely difficult at times when you can upgrade weapons or unlock new non-lethal items. So basically for any MGSV player, don't skip out on Mother Base or else you want to create pacing issues.

pahamrick

And really, it's not that far off from PW too. Have you tried skipping MB aspects and going from mission to mission? It becomes extremely difficult at times when you can upgrade weapons or unlock new non-lethal items. So basically for any MGSV player, don't skip out on Mother Base or else you want to create pacing issues.

The thought of skipping MB stuff in PW never even crossed my mind. I want all the new shiny stuff.

The one thing that still grinds my gears about what the hell may or may not be going on in TPP: Mirrors. Remember, the first image of this game was a mirrored image (pictured below). Long ago, I was under the assumption that "Two Phantoms were born" was referring to Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain, but I don't believe that is the case, as Kojima wanted to release them together and was unsure as to whether or not they would be separate products. The mirrored effect could have to do with the therapy that patients go through if they have phantom limbs, but I don't know. Does anyone else think it will come back in a huge way?

fox_poster.jpg

Kindekuma

Banned
The one thing that still grinds my gears about what the hell may or may not be going on in TPP: Mirrors. Remember, the first image of this game was a mirrored image (pictured below). Long ago, I was under the assumption that "Two Phantoms were born" was referring to Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain, but I don't believe that is the case, as Kojima wanted to release them together and was unsure as to whether or not they would be separate products. The mirrored effect could have to do with the therapy that patients go through if they have phantom limbs, but I don't know. Does anyone else think it will come back in a huge way?

Maybe it was just to give away a small hint at the complete opposite of FOX, XOF? Maybe to hint that MSF will soon be denoted to being just a patch on the right shoulder (which designates your former unit). I'm not going to read into it that much, just some things to get the fans rallied up.

Tzmhero

You could argue that a clone is a bit like a mirror image of you.

Something I keep seeing in Boss is the idea that his world revolves in a lack of control on his part. His whole life has been crashing around him and every time it seems like he gets ahead, finds some control of his fate, it's ripped away from him. Now he has children he didn't want, born for reasons he didn't like, and believing things that are untrue.

It could simply be that he becomes the villain because he finds the only way he can control his own fate is by controlling others?

Luminaire

I don't really know where to ask this in the sea of insanity that are MGSV threads, but I did have a question regarding the David Hayter/Kiefer Sutherland fiasco.

In a lot of previews/talk I've seen about MGSV, people talk about how quiet Snake is. People have said this is due to Sutherland being expensive and such. However, isn't the game developed with the Japanese voice cast in mind first? If thats the case, Snakes JP voice hasn't changed, so there's no reason for him to be silent...

This is bothering me and its probably already been talked about.

Crazy amount of bombs are being dropped by Nikkei in regards to the crazy shit going on in Konami ATM, which has affected everything, not just MGS.

Which includes the apparent halting of a Suikoden game. :O

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I'm assuming that budget includes the development of the FOX Engine, which was also going to be used for probably all of Konami's in-house games so it would've paid for itself, if Konami didn't cancel Silent Hills + other projects they may have been doing.

Rajang

I don't really know where to ask this in the sea of insanity that are MGSV threads, but I did have a question regarding the David Hayter/Kiefer Sutherland fiasco.

In a lot of previews/talk I've seen about MGSV, people talk about how quiet Snake is. People have said this is due to Sutherland being expensive and such. However, isn't the game developed with the Japanese voice cast in mind first? If thats the case, Snakes JP voice hasn't changed, so there's no reason for him to be silent...

This is bothering me and its probably already been talked about.

All the previous games (1,2,3,4, PW) used to be developed with the Japanese VA first in mind, but that changed with MGSV GZ/TPP.

VulpX

YES!

GAMESCOM TO PREMIERE ALL-NEW METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE AND TRAILER – AS IT MAKES PLAYABLE DEBUT ON SHOW FLOOR!
Konami Digital Entertainment B.V. will use gamescom to debut an all-new video showcasing key gameplay elements from the eagerly-awaited METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN, while visitors at the show will be able to experience the game’s ‘A Hero’s Way’ mission via playable demo. The publisher will also reveal a new trailer at the show.

With the epic fifth installment of the stealth-action series released on September 1st, the new video will show all-new footage related to the Mother Base aspect of the game. The specially-created video will detail building options and unique customization elements. The video will also explain the game’s multi-player FOB (Forward Operating Base) feature, wherein users can establish additional bases around the globe to manage captured resources – and demonstrate for the first time – how users can infiltrate other players’ FOB bases to steal resources as well.

The new footage highlights the strategic heart to METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN. The game itself spans a huge, open world setting and greatly expands the series’ famed sneaking elements. Likewise, a host of new characters – both allies and enemies – tell a story driven by revenge as franchise protagonist Big Boss enters a series of battlefields following the deaths of his colleagues. METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN is brought to vivid life with realistic weather patterns and day/night cycles. Thus, players can adapt their tactics to match the changing environment, creating an intuitive and non-linear gameplay experience.

Similarly, the new trailer will whet appetites ahead of launch, with an larger overview of the full game and its many gameplay advances and character. All new footage will be released on August 5th, at 20:00 CET, and will be shown throughout the duration of the five-day event. It can also be viewed via the dedicated METAL GEAR SOLID YouTube Channel: http://bit.ly/1Je7M1b.

Visitors to Europe’s largest consumer gaming event will be able to experience the many additions the new game introduces as it appears in playable form in public for the first time. KONAMI will have a host of consoles running the game’s expansive ‘A Hero’s Way’ mission which introduces key gameplay aspects and offers players a chance to explore the game’s Afghanistan setting in an early mission.

METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN will be released on September 1st. Gamescom will be held in Cologne from August 5th-9th.

KONAMI´s booth is located in Hall 7.1,B030. The booth for business partners and media can be found in Hall 4.2, A010.

For further information please visit:

www.konami.jp/mgs5

Gun Animal

Ok.

Why is Paz in her underwear during final fight in Peace Walker.

Why is the theme for the fight some kooky jpop song.

What.
MGS has always had a heavy Anime/Otaku Culture influence but it became a lot less subtle in Peace Walker, probably because it was deliberately aimed at the Japanese Monster Hunter crowd.

Direct answer: in many Mecha anime, characters are often required to strip semi-naked or wear a special skin-tight suit in order to pilot their mechas and its also sometimes used as a fanservice opportunity, as it is in PW.

The j-pop is in line with Paz deliberately and explicitly being otakubait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom