• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercutiouk

Neo Member
That gameplay trailer is so, so good. I just hope I'll never get Big Saru attacking my FOB though, can you imagine a base taken down by ammo clips?

Holy mother of god. Did not expect the FOB system to be this fantastic. Nor did I expect Motherbase to be so feature rich.

That's why I love Kojima's games. The games have a massive amount of features yet at the same time none of them feel half baked. I thought FOB infiltration would be far more simple as opposed to what we're actually getting.

This is simply why Kojima is the best. If he's going to bother adding invasions, he gonna do it right. Unlike games such as Watch Dogs which simply add the most simple invasion mechanics to try and ride on the tailcoat of the Souls series success.

Erban1

Holy mother of god. Did not expect the FOB system to be this fantastic. Nor did I expect Motherbase to be so feature rich.

That's why I love Kojima's games. The games have a massive amount of features yet at the same time none of them feel half baked. I thought FOB infiltration would be far more simple as opposed to what we're actually getting.

This is simply why Kojima is the best. If he's going to bother adding invasions, he gonna do it right. Unlike games such as Watch Dogs which simply add the most simple invasion mechanics to try and ride on the tailcoat of the Souls series success.

He took the invasion mechanic to the next level, this really has potential to be the best game ever made

It's pretty crazy to me that this entire presentation was something Kojima might not have even done. Like for any other game this would be a massive E3 showstopping spectacle highlighting the biggest gameplay component, but for Kojima it was a "Eh, if we have time and energy we'll put this together I guess."

So if what Sean said is true, then I guess Outer GAF will have no problems being able to team up.

"Outer GAF help! I'm being invaded!"
*cue Ride of the Valkyries as every chopper starts coming in

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what they meant by that. He pretty explicitly stated in the beginning that FOB was going to be relegated to one on one, so I'm assuming that people will be able to defend your base for you, rather than teaming up in the same game.

The FOB stuff looks great. So close now!
I think TPP has the potential to be the best game in the series.
My favourite will always be
mgs2
though

I'm in the same boat as you! From what I've seen so far and from what has been said of Kojima, this is the only game in the series that has a chance of dethroning MGS2 for me.

brau

So, would it be fair to say this will the the game that Kojima always wanted to make?

i mean, he had Fox Engine, and the budget from what it looks like, and previous knowledge to make whatever he wanted. Very few restrictions imo.

So, would it be fair to say this will the the game that Kojima always wanted to make?

i mean, he had Fox Engine, and the budget from what it looks like, and previous knowledge to make whatever he wanted. Very few restrictions imo.

I imagine it is close since Kojima has said as much. However, I think Kojima probably still felt restricted by the MGS canon at this point, and probably won't be able to make something as high budget as this again. I have no doubt he will be able to make AAA games in the future, but I doubt it'll be as expansive as this.

Mifec

I want to play on PC but a few things are swaying me towards PS4:

• Patches: Will they release on PC the same time as PS4? Faster or same day.
  • Extra 2 months of MGO delay. Yeah that sux.
  • Online anti-cheat? Without this consider FOB/MGO essentially ruined on PC. Valve anti cheat since it's on steam.
  • DOF adjustment? The blur in GZ was really annoying in cutscenes. At least it will be able to be switched off once people dig into the game files. A lot more options than PS4 confirmed in the newest announcement.
  • Mobile app support questionable (GZ on PC did not have this). We don't know.
  • Most of GAF community seems to be on PS4. A lot of us are on PC.
  • TROPHIES YO. Steam achievements.

Replies in bold

realcZk

Replies in bold

With the MGO PC delay as well as the initial plan for a delayed PC release, my worry with patches still stands -- REGARDLESS THOUGH that doesn't concern me much since I expect a very solid/stable game out of the gate. Also just because its on Steam doesn't automatically mean they'll use VAC, the online servers would need to have VAC support integrated (not just on by default). They could also go with other types of Anti-cheat (a lot of games on steam avoid using VAC because it's not regarded as a very good anti-cheat and lack of developer control, I think that was a big reason Rust went with EAC). I hope they will have something though, it'll be necessary.

It's going to take a lot of maintenance to keep MGO running smoothly and keep banning the latest cheaters/hackers. I just hope with all the crap going on over at Konami and studios being broken up/renamed they will have a group of people dedicated to doing so for a decent amount of time.

Let me elaborate on why I said VAC was considered "not very good":

1. Developers can't really control VAC. It works automatically based upon a list of pre-determined signatures/memory address hook checks/dns queries/etc.
2. I don't believe developers will have control over VAC bans. VAC bans can be delayed by several days or several months in an attempt to "throw off the cheaters", and not give them a good idea on what specifically they were doing to become detected at the time of ban. Unfortunately VAC prioritizes the process of confusing cheaters over securing the integrity of the online experience first and foremost.
3. VAC used to be (can still be?) circumvented several ways last I looked into it (either by hooking its memory reading syscalls and redirecting them to a clone process, or just returning values that existed prior to your cheat hooking a function in memory). A lot of cheats also run in ring0 (kernel mode) where VAC doesn't have privileges to access since it only runs in ring3 (usermode).

But hey, its way way way way better than nothing.

brau

I imagine it is close since Kojima has said as much. However, I think Kojima probably still felt restricted by the MGS canon at this point, and probably won't be able to make something as high budget as this again. I have no doubt he will be able to make AAA games in the future, but I doubt it'll be as expansive as this.

I think P.T was the game that he was overhauling and had creative freedom. But i think you are right to say that there are restrictions in the IP. But it just looks like he ran with it and made a monster of a game.

When i feel i have seen a lot.. it always ends up feeling like its just the tip of the iceberg.

Solidino

tumblr_inline_mlxv0fIYR31qz4rgp.gif

Mifec

Remember mgsGAF after you go to bed today you only need to sleep 26 more times. counting time like when we were kids.

Erban1

So it's confirmed we can carry out revenge infiltrations on behalf of people on our friends list, so the real question is: how long after release do we form the OuterGaf coalition? I'm definitely looking forward to infiltrating some of y'all's bases initially but it would be cool to band together eventually.

brau

Good question for Tora.

What happens if the players having a 1 on 1 one of them disconnects? or has bad internet connection?

What about drops? will you get penalties? or what happens if the person just disconnects when about to finish the mission or get killed? what happens then?

Furyous

I don't care if it came out a year later, my helicopter music is going to be the entire Rocky IV soundtrack on shuffle.

I'm blasting eye of the tiger loud as shit going through Afghanistan ganking people for their resources.

Konami, please don't charge us $5 to use custom soundtracks.

--

I forgot who said it but this game could be the perfect game. Let us choose our infiltration methods. I want the MGS3 feel where you land miles away from a target and have to work your way there.

This game needs underwater infilration. We've seen Afghanistan and parts of Africa. That leaves three unexplored areas.

Am i the only one disappointed that Big Boss does not have his personal shower in his own space? Diamond Dog aka Foxhound stays a pup during my gameplay. He's never growing up. Ocelot better not train him because his pup form increases morale.

Slowdive

Banned
From the gameplay thread:

Interesting, not sure if this was known but apparently the review event is only 4 days long (something like Watch Dogs had 8 days for comparison). Reviewers can't keep their saves, seems a feeling of not being able to see most of what the game has to offer is concerning, at least from someone I talk to. Using the 2-day May preview event as a frame of reference, some journos didn't get past 10% completion lol.

Review event is from the 18th to 21st.

Shy

Am i the only one disappointed that Big Boss does not have his personal shower in his own space?
He still could, they just put one near the helipad for convenience.
Diamond Dog aka Foxhound stays a pup during my gameplay. He's never growing up. Ocelot better not train him because his pup form increases morale.
Yeah, D.D. is super adorable as a pup.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
So it's confirmed we can carry out revenge infiltrations on behalf of people on our friends list, so the real question is: how long after release do we form the OuterGaf coalition? I'm definitely looking forward to infiltrating some of y'all's bases initially but it would be cool to band together eventually.

How many people can we have on a PS Friends List? I promise to help reclaim any lost soldiers or resources for everyone in OuterGAF.

Man, the idea of running coalitions with people here on GAF if freaking exciting. I rarely do anything on GAF besides visit this community but hell, this will definitely make me more active here.

RetroMG

Remember mgsGAF after you go to bed today you only need to sleep 26 more times. counting time like when we were kids.

Remind me, is the digital release at midnight Eastern or Pacific?

Might not even be that many sleeps for some of us. I often get started on new games at 9pm.

Hey guys is this too spoilery or should I watch--
That gameplay trailer is so, so good. I just hope I'll never get Big Saru attacking my FOB though, can you imagine a base taken down by ammo clips?

This gameplay demo... I have no words. Fucking amazing

He took the invasion mechanic to the next level, this really has potential to be the best game ever made

It's pretty crazy to me that this entire presentation was something Kojima might not have even done. Like for any other game this would be a massive E3 showstopping spectacle highlighting the biggest gameplay component, but for Kojima it was a "Eh, if we have time and energy we'll put this together I guess."
BRUH.
CANNOT RESIST

RetroMG

I'm really hoping the custom soundtracks are a go for PS4. I'll have to sit down and consider some rockin' tracks and some 80's cheese.

I would even accept an audio option to turn down background music. I realized yesterday that Ground Zeroes on PC has no audio options that I could find.

Hey guys is this too spoilery or should I watch--

BRUH.
CANNOT RESIST

I wouldn't say the gameplay spoils too much in regards to plot or anything but I can imagine it would be really awesome experiencing the stuff outlined first hand. If you really want to go in fresh i'd say skip it but at the end of the day I don't think you'd be spoiling too much.

Although, if you don't watch it I do get the impression that you'll be learning new details about mother base over a fair period of time haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom