• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkorejo

I also started Peace Walker 2 days ago. I already had watched the story but this is my first playthrough.

I was worried about Motherbase management stuff being intrusive and was just playing to experience the storyline.

I have completed 15-16 main ops and I am surprised that my experience has been totally opposite of my expectations. I am enjoying motherbase stuff but gameplay, characters and boss fights are just not as good as other MGS games. Also, Its not helping that I already know all the twists in the story and to my surprise I remember all of it even though I watched the story years ago.

I may not go back to it because gameplay isnt very fun and I know the story already. Its not the game's fault but mine. If I played it a year ago and went in fresh, I would have definitely liked it. But in my situation, there really is no motivation to go and complete it.

I guess I should rather ditch PW and complete TW3 instead so I can close that book and completely move over to the MGS V hypetrain and try to S Rank GZ missions before Sep 1st.

This would work better and be funnier if it read as

STRAIGHT
-OUTTA-
HEAVEN

This is what I was thinking.

Hi metal gear gaf!

I've been replaying the series to prepare for V and wanted to get a metal gear t shirt. At the moment I'm leaning towards a foxhound logo or peacewalker logo. Any better suggestions? Needs uk delivery.

Maybe FOX/XOF logo? A REX silhouette? I haven't looked around for this kind of stuff, so I don't know what's available though.

I guess I should rather ditch PW and complete TW3 instead so I can close that book and completely move over to the MGS V hypetrain and try to S Rank GZ missions before Sep 1st.

Can't say that playing Peace Walker if you aren't interested in the gameplay is a must, especially if you know the story already. I can say though that you should still do a refresher on YouTube and especially look up some of the tape dialogue between characters, it really fleshes out a few things about them, Kaz is one of my favorite MGS characters because of his interesting backstory now. Though if you aren't interested in the characters now, maybe listening to more than 40 minutes of recordings each for the characters won't help.

I think at least hearing out Kaz's back story will be good background for PW though. Be aware that there is a hidden tape that most people haven't listened to since it is hard to unlock, but it fulfills the "secret phonecall" quota of the game, and is sort of the second secret ending that takes place after the first more major one.

BTW, anyone think V may have a secret ending? Probably not because 4 didn't and Kojima probably wanted to make the whole story more accessible this time, but an interesting possibility nonetheless.

Edit:

Ha! I just realized how funny it'd be if Zanzibar Land was the first name used for BB's military dictatorship in MG1. Imagine "Rise of Zanzibar Land", not nearly as cool right, and would seem harder to appear badass in V. Honestly, Outer Heaven is a pretty interesting and unique name. I wonder how Kojima came to it, perhaps it was just "wow cool English words", or maybe he didn't come up with it to begin with, since the game did exist before he joined and made it into what it is.

zkorejo

Can't say that playing Peace Walker if you aren't interested in the gameplay is a must, especially if you know the story already. I can say though that you should still do a refresher on YouTube and especially look up some of the tape dialogue between characters, it really fleshes out a few things about them, Kaz is one of my favorite MGS characters because of his interesting backstory now. Though if you aren't interested in the characters now, maybe listening to more than 40 minutes of recordings each for the characters won't help.

I think at least hearing out Kaz's back story will be good background for PW though. Be aware that there is a hidden tape that most people haven't listened to since it is hard to unlock, but it fulfills the "secret phonecall" quota of the game, and is sort of the second secret ending that takes place after the first more major one.

I will definitely listen to the tapes about Kaz then.

I think I have listened to that phonecall too. If I am not mistaken, you are probably talking about (pretty big spoilers ahead)
Kaz's phonecall with Zeroabout the project Les EnfantsTerrible and wonders how BB will react to it. I know he is also working with Patriots.

Just wrapped up two tours of Camp Omega after Peace Walker. It's fun to watch the ending and tie in all my mother base progress into it's destruction ("Lobster, noooooo!").

Second tim around and I tagged all the guards until I got caught and ended up killing them all in a search for XOF patches. I've adapted my Peace Walker crazy magazine throwing strategy and will jump into hard mode and start unlocking those tapes and extra modes for some deja vu fun. Though I can in no way KO them like some Youtube vids. Jesus.

I was undecided in regards to Skull Face but this fan trailer using what must be cassette tapes sounds very promising for the final product.

The thing about tapes relating to Peace Walker is well, there are stuff that aren't necessarily in the game itself, but are supplementary material that broaden the story/characters outside the game.

Eg. There are drama CDs (in Japanese only) that actually plays out the scene of Kaz and Big Boss's first ever encounter, which in PW, was only described by both of them in a conversation about the past.

Same with the... sauna scene. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qscKqM8YS9Y

(It's not really a spoiler, but contextually it's something that was mentioned in PW in one of the tapes, so yeah)

Banzai

I've been trying to finish it up, any tips as to what I need to accomplish (what specific trials), maybe some routes for S ranks (I've been struggling with an attempt at a perfect GZ mission hard mode run.

I think the only trials you need to do are "Fastest Marking of all enemies" on each mission on normal difficulty and "Fast Completion" on each mission on hard difficulty (which you obviously get once you replay a mission on hard).

For the S-Ranks just up look up some youtube videos. I mostly experimented until things just somehow worked out. The hardest one for me was destroying the AA guns. I would have gone insane if I hadn't watched a video guide for that one.

Error1355

What's a checklist of things I should have done in Ground Zeroes that is told to carry over?

I need to do it on PS4 and PC now that I am going to do my playthrough on PC first. >_>

neoemonk

I'm trying to finish the Metal Gear games I've never played before September 1. Portable Ops, Peace Walker, and Revengeance if I have time. Been playing Portable Ops all weekend. It's not as bad as people have led me to believe. Certainly not my favorite entry in the series but still fun.

grimmiq

What's a checklist of things I should have done in Ground Zeroes that is told to carry over?

I need to do it on PS4 and PC now that I am going to do my playthrough on PC first. >_>

Here's a list I found..not sure how accurate it is though.

Ground Zeroes:
- Escaped Prisoner (Refugee Camp)
- Chico (Prison Camp)
- Paz (Boiler Room)
- Four Prisoners (Prison Camp)

Eliminate the Renegade Threat:
- Glaz (Various locations)
- Palitz (Various locations)
- Two Prisoners (Prison Camp)

Intel Operative Rescue:
- Hideo Kojima (Complete the Mission)

Classified Intel Aquisition:
- Agent (Your contact, various locations)
- Baldy (Holder of the actual tape, various locations)
- Three Prisoners (Prison Camp)

Destroy the Anti-Air Emplacements:
- Captured MSF Soldier (Boiler Room)

Houndi101

Ground Zeroes:
- Chico (Prison Camp)
- Paz (Boiler Room)

Intel Operative Rescue:

Thanks for this, need to do this stuff before 1.9

Embearded

Ground Zeroes:
- Chico (Prison Camp)
- Paz (Boiler Room)

Intel Operative Rescue:

Thanks! I've started doing 100% the game and i was wondering what is passing to TPP.

Houndi101

in europe day comes before month when writing a date

LW8EOXP.jpg

Venom Fox

Banned
Ha! I just realized how funny it'd be if Zanzibar Land was the first name used for BB's military dictatorship in MG1. Imagine "Rise of Zanzibar Land", not nearly as cool right, and would seem harder to appear badass in V. Honestly, Outer Heaven is a pretty interesting and unique name. I wonder how Kojima came to it, perhaps it was just "wow cool English words", or maybe he didn't come up with it to begin with, since the game did exist before he joined and made it into what it is.
Metal Gear was created by Kojima, it was his idea.
He took over a project that was dying and completely overhauled the game into what Metal Gear was and still is.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear

"Kojima was asked to take over a project from a senior associate. Metal Gear was intended to be an action game that featured modern military combat. However, the MSX2's hardware limited the number of on-screen bullets and enemies, which Kojima felt impeded the combat aspect. Inspired by The Great Escape, he reversed the focus of the gameplay from shooting down the enemy to avoiding the capture.[5] Metal Gear was originally titled "Intruder" during the early planning stages."

DieH@rd

Banned

Ground Zeroes:
- Chico (Prison Camp)
- Paz (Boiler Room)

Intel Operative Rescue:

Will anything carry over from Ground Zeroes ios/android app? I upgraded my motherbase and personnel quite nicely.

BosSin

Man I really want the ps4 collectors edition, but it's sold out in UK. Fucking scalpers

£150 on ebay... dunno if I would gift 50 quid to those assholes

Venom Fox

Banned
Will anything carry over from Ground Zeroes ios/android app? I upgraded my motherbase and personnel quite nicely.
The prisoners carry over,
Motherbase gets wrecked by Skullface and XOF and in TPP we create a totally new one, so nothing on the app would carry over I think.

Edit: BosSin,
I just saw the game on EBay, why these people try and get away with this is beyond me. What also gets me mad is, why are devs still doing exclusive deals with Game? They charge like 20-30% more for their games compared to Amazon, Tesco, Asda Etc.
They also charge £55 for a brand new game and the same game is £50 preowned lmao. I could get the same game for £42 at Asda and if you shop around on Amazon, sometimes even cheaper.
There's a reason Gamestation and Game went under a few years ago, I suspect they are heading that way again though.

Metal Gear was created by Kojima, it was his idea.
He took over a project that was dying and completely overhauled the game into what Metal Gear was and still is.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear

"Kojima was asked to take over a project from a senior associate. Metal Gear was intended to be an action game that featured modern military combat. However, the MSX2's hardware limited the number of on-screen bullets and enemies, which Kojima felt impeded the combat aspect. Inspired by The Great Escape, he reversed the focus of the gameplay from shooting down the enemy to avoiding the capture.[5] Metal Gear was originally titled "Intruder" during the early planning stages."

I know. That's what I'm talking about. It's good that you clarified it for people who might have interpreted what I said the wrong way, but I know, absolutely.

I was just wondering if perhaps he had come up with the name "Outer Heaven" himself, or if it had existed in "Intruder" before his influence began.

Venom Fox

Banned
I know. That's what I'm talking about. It's good that you clarified it for people who might have interpreted what I said the wrong way, but I know, absolutely.

I was just wondering if perhaps he had come up with the name "Outer Heaven" himself, or if it had existed in "Intruder" before his influence began.
Thanks, I did originally read your post wrong though :)

Yeah, I wonder whether it was Outer Heaven originally? I think it was though, he came up with the characters and story, Etc and one of Big Boss's and one of the story plot points was the fortress being a "Soldiers Heaven" and that being Big Boss's ideal, to have a place where soldiers could live and fight, where they could be free.

oh my god i just died and came back to life. that would be so terrible to have it leak this far from release. i'd have to go into the woods
in alaska
and build a cabin to live in for the next month.
If the thing in spoiler tags is the new location spoiler then you really did a bad job in making it obvious that its a legit spoiler.
If not, then :^)

Furyous

What's the best source to watch all of the MGS playthroughs or cinematics before TPP's release?

I beat MGS, MGS2, said screw three because my SDTV couldn't differentiate between crocodiles and dirty water, beat MGS4, never played peace walker because screw playing MGS on a portable gaming system, and plan on beating GZ 24 hours before playing TPP.

How come no one brought up the lack of sharks and sea creatures in MGS and MGS2? Wouldn't Snake or Raiden have encountered a shark or two infiltrating Big Shell or when the Tanker collapsed? Slightly off topic but what was the reason Kojima took out playable end of the tanker chapter?

Who else maxes out R&D as soon as they obtain Mother Base? I need a new stealth suit and a stealth camo at the beginning of the game.

The1Ski

I want to get into Ground Zeroes but would prefer to not pay 20 big ones.

With the pre-order promotion for free Ground Zeroes going around, do you guys think I should just keep an eye on the Steam discussion threads for people looking to gift? Any chance of a sale in the next couple weeks? Or should I just make the purchase?

UPDATE: Was just gifted a copy by keeping an eye on the Ground Zeroes discussion boards! Good people on the internet confirmed!

DieH@rd

Banned
What's the best source to watch all of the MGS playthroughs or cinematics before TPP's release?

Twitch channel Uknighted. That crew has hosted many magnificent story runs of entire MGS franchise [they play like true masters]. Keep a lookout and you will soon see another story run announcement from them.

I started following them after their 100hr story run got promoted here on GAF a while back [they played through entire franchise, twice]. Chat is insane during that stream.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
yeah whats up with the lack of sharks in the new york coastline

Holdfing

Can I change teams? I'm Team E now, and I'm saying that P.T. will be playabe as a "nightmare" scenario, like Guy Savage in MGS3. And Solid Snake might or might not be in the game. Team E doesn't care.

Unless someone else already came up with this nonsense.

danthefan

I saw mention of stuff carrying over from Ground Zeroes over on the main forum.

I've pretty much just played GZ through once, that's all. Should I do other stuff, like extra missions and whatever before TPP comes out? Will it affect TPP what I do in GZ?

Rajang

I saw mention of stuff carrying over from Ground Zeroes over on the main forum.

I've pretty much just played GZ through once, that's all. Should I do other stuff, like extra missions and whatever before TPP comes out? Will it affect TPP what I do in GZ?

Every POW you rescue in GZ will be in Mother Base in TPP. Doing the Save Intel Operative mission will get you Kojima (not confirmed). Also extracting Glaz and Palitz (Eliminate the Renegade Threat).

And also if you played GZ there will be a cool feature in TPP.

“People who own GZ will be able to play a different mission(s) at Camp Omega in TPP. That’s the current plan. There’s something of a big feature involved. It’s never been done in the games industry before. So I can’t go into detail about it, but I think when you experience it for yourselves you’ll be surprised. It’s something that’s only possible through video games.”

Metal Gear Informer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom