• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajang

I was pissed that they excluded it from HD version.
I was more pissed because the Metal Gear Turd has been cut also :mad:

Or Snake vs. Monkey missions. :(

SnakeVersusMonkey.jpg

Roldan

MGS2 was actually supposed to have sharks according to the original game design document.

No lie.

http://junkerhq.net/MGS2gameplan.pdf

I knew about this, but never read it. I'm kinda skimming through it and:

Mantis Mode

A type of hidden mode. By equipping an item called ‘Mantis’s Mask’, obtainable in the main game, you will be able to read peoples’ (enemies’) minds.

If the player equips it during a repeat play-through, they will be able to better understand characters’ lies. It will have no effect on the story, however. We will record separate voice covering both the player wearing and not wearing the mask. We will also look into making this work with the captions as well.

As the game has a complex story (full of betrayal and such), one of the objectives of this mode is to make the story easier to understand for players who will not understand all of it in just one playthrough.

For example, when encountering the SEAL member:
SEAL:
I’m a SEAL.
His mind:
I’m really Snake.

Damn, that would have been awesome lol

I've been thinking about how hyped I am for this game. I am beyond excited for this game, but I don't feel that way. What I mean is I don't have the butterfly like feeling I got when games like GTA V were coming out. I've thought about it and determined that the reason why is that I know exactly what I will be getting (plus more) and also have sorta played the game already with GZ. The pre-release for GTA V was amazing in it's own way because of how limited the footage R* showed was and how they left a lot to be discovered by the players. However with MGSV, I have seen hours of gameplay and read enough previews to actually have set my expectations accordingly which I feel is rare with video games. The big thing to take away from all those demos and previews is that what has been shown is only a sliver/optional part of the entire game.

MGSV will be my favorite game, I know this, but it doesn't have the same pre-release feeling as I've experienced with other games. I believe that it is a good thing. Kojima Productions and Konami have raised my expectations for the game by not spoiling the game or starting a PR hype machine. They just showed off the game and gave players a taste. Something that isn't common as much as it used to be and I think it should be appreciated. MGSV is a video game and has been marketed accordingly for the most part.

I'm wondering if anyone else understands/feels what i'm talking about! Each game has it's own buildup to release, but in my mind MGSV has made an example of how one should be done.

And that's it! Something that has been on my mind and I've only ever discussed with a friend.

realcZk

Was away from home this weekend and brought the Vita along. Was pleasantly surprised with how well MGS2/MGS3 ran on the vita, and how good the controls were. Excellent portable versions! If you travel a lot and haven't given them a try because portable is scaring you, you should definitely consider it. They run and play great.

AnotherCastle

Neo Member
I've been thinking about how hyped I am for this game. I am beyond excited for this game, but I don't feel that way. What I mean is I don't have the butterfly like feeling I got when games like GTA V were coming out. I've thought about it and determined that the reason why is that I know exactly what I will be getting (plus more) and also have sorta played the game already with GZ. The pre-release for GTA V was amazing in it's own way because of how limited the footage R* showed was and how they left a lot to be discovered by the players. However with MGSV, I have seen hours of gameplay and read enough previews to actually have set my expectations accordingly which I feel is rare with video games. The big thing to take away from all those demos and previews is that what has been shown is only a sliver/optional part of the entire game.

MGSV will be my favorite game, I know this, but it doesn't have the same pre-release feeling as I've experienced with other games. I believe that it is a good thing. Kojima Productions and Konami have raised my expectations for the game by not spoiling the game or starting a PR hype machine. They just showed off the game and gave players a taste. Something that isn't common as much as it used to be and I think it should be appreciated. MGSV is a video game and has been marketed accordingly for the most part.

I'm wondering if anyone else understands/feels what i'm talking about! Each game has it's own buildup to release, but in my mind MGSV has made an example of how one should be done.

And that's it! Something that has been on my mind and I've only ever discussed with a friend.

I do sort of get what you're saying. Kojima and his team have been trying to generate a lot of hype via "experience previews," that is to say long-winded gameplay videos and, hell, a whole standalone prequel game in an attempt to sell Phantom Pain. My theories on this are two-fold: One, I think Kojima is just a big dork who has a really hard time keeping secrets, and two that Konami's combined fury at the budget of the game with the perceived shrinking market for big budget Japanese games has led them to feel insecure with the power of the Metal Gear name, so they're blowing us all up with constant hype tactics that have gotten old after a couple of years.

Personally, I'm eternally soured over what's happened with Kojima and Konami's falling out. Not to mention that the news of how Konami has treated his team and their own internal staff is making it hard for me to support them with the purchase of this game (though I will.) Not to mention the blatant disrespect for their most cherished IPs. It's all just... been kind of a rollercoaster ride of emotions that I'm not sure almost any game could measure up to as payoff.

SO GUYS

I'm back at home after 2 days of Gamescom and I played 45 minutes of TPP (visited the booth 3 times). So now I'll share my impressions with you!

After the starting screen which showed Big Boss in his helicopter with the press options prompt I was thrown into the afghan desert and got to play the E3 mission which was called "A Hero's Way" if I remember it correctly.The first thing I noticed is that the TV intro thing is gone. No more Starring: Big Boss, Kazuhira Benedict Miller and so on! The outro which also still shows Kojima's name like in GZ is still there.
Big Boss had an suppressed Assault Rifle, suppressed sniper, tranq gun, standard prosthesis and LOTS of equipment with him. Also, he started the mission with D-Horse and his tiger stripe camo. Kaz told me to eliminate the target, a higher rank military guy (side-note: it was really exactly the same mission like in the E3 demo with the difference that the area I got to explore was smaller and I wasn't dropped in via helicopter.
I rode straight to the enemy's base and started scouting it out. But I barely saw any guards and that's why I ordered Motherbase to send me DD. With him, I entered the base as he marked all guards (ans some plants and animals) for me. I continued taking out the guards and fultoned my target.

Yes, in my first sitting I took a very straight approach to the mission and in my following ones I concentrated on exploring as much as could.
So... about all the buddies in detail:

D-Horse: basically a vehicle with the great bonuses of being able to take out guards while riding and the ability to hang off the sides for stealthy actions. It won't follow Big Boss at all if you don't whistle for him. Movement is much like on foot with the exception that you press the square button instead of L3 to gain speed. Also, D-Horse will jump over smaller obstacles and down smaller ledges.

D-Dog: He'll follow closely Big Boss and infiltrate with him as long as you don't tell him to wait somewhere. He can catch the attention of guards and he will automatically tell you about enemies, plants and wildlife (the information are added to your iDroid... somehow). A cool thing that I noticed was that when you crouch-walk, DD will do the same thing and stick close to Boss' side what looks super badass!

Quiet: The TGS Africa demo pretty much sums her up tbh. One difference that I noticed is I wasn't able to let her be dropped of to some random point in the map but only at fixed vantage points, but I don't know if that was because the demo was in-mission and not free roaming. She has two modes: scout and attack mode and you can choose between them before dropping her and there's the possibility of switching at any time. During scout mode she'll mark all enemies in her sight and then wait for further instructions. As I was infiltrating the base she always aimed at the nearest guard or switched to a specific one if I aimed at him. Via L1 prompt I was able to tell her to take out the person she was aiming at.
As an enemy spotted me she didn't shoot him while being in reflex mode BUT after I switched to attack mode Quiet killed the enemy instantly. Also, she'll only protect you with sniping while in attack mode, at least that was the case for me.

D-Walker: Basically much like D-Horse but with two legs or alternatively with wheels. In my demo it was equipped with a mini gatling gun. To be honest, it really is much like a D-Horse alternative with slight changes. The one bonus is that it'll scout for you when prompted and has a CQC arm + "sneak-rolling-mode" (not pressing square while moving forward).

About weapons and equipment: I was able to order several weapons from Motherbase. A lot of basic weapons like you average MGS pistols, assault rifles and so on. Not much to speak about.
There was a pistol grenade launcher called ZORG which we haven't seen yet I think. Also I tried out the rocket arm... hearing Kiefer Sutherland screaming Rocket PUNCH!!! was amazing. Also, I saw the option to order more iDroids into the map but I don't know what it is good for (sorry).

That's pretty much all I can think of at the moment.

If you have any questions, I'm cool with answering them if I know the answer!

Alienous

I get what you're saying. It's just on the cusp of having you salivate at the idea of playing it.

Kojima has done a good job at presenting it like a game. We've seen long form gameplay. Many of us have also played Ground Zeroes. We know what we're getting into, basically. That's unlike GTA V, or even a game like MGS4, where the core of the game is a lot more shrouded in mystery.

My hype comes from seeing what the opening sequence has to offer. My hype comes from getting to see the opening credits. My hype comes from experiencing the boss battles. My hype comes from seeing what the deal is with Snake's super-long head horn. There's plenty more, but it's all those things that are just under the surface, but I know will have me grinning when I have my hands on the controller and encounter them. Coupling that with knowing that MGSV will be mechanically solid is how I tap into my reservoir of hype.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Do you all think that D-Walker has some sort of AI?

Apparently you can raise some sort of affection meter with the likes of Quiet and D-Dog. They are organic, though. So I'm thinking Walker will be like a precursor to Blade Wolf.

realcZk

SO GUYS

I'm back at home after 2 days of Gamescom and I played 45 minutes of TPP (visited the booth 3 times). So now I'll share my impressions with you!

Thanks for the info! How were the controls vs GZ, and how were the vehicles if you got to try them (jeeps, etc)? In GZ they could've used more polish

Thanks for the info! How were the controls vs GZ, and how were the vehicles if you got to try them (jeeps, etc)? In GZ they could've used more polish

Forgot about that.

Movement on foot was much like GZ but felt less spongy and Boss reacts more directly to controller inputs (not saying that it was bad before).
Vehicle handling definitely felt great compared to Ground Zeroes! Physics were better and turning the jeep didn't awkwardly slow it down.

Alienous

Forgot about that.

Movement on foot was much like GZ but felt less spongy and Boss reacts more directly to controller inputs (not saying that it was bad before).
Vehicle handling definitely felt great compared to Ground Zeroes! Physics were better and turning the jeep didn't awkwardly slow it down.

Oh, awesome.

Thanks for the info.

I presume only PS4 version was shown? Did it looked any different than GZ? Did you played both day and night approach?

Yes it was running on a dev PS4 (entered the Home menu to check it)
Textures looked cleaner than in GZ and I think the lighting was better.
And: I played day / Night in all playthroughs there even was no need for using the Phantom Cigar because the timed passed super fast. 10 minutes day / night cycle but I asked some guy who worked at the booth and he told me that it's for the demo only.

FyEtrjq.gif

By the way, does anybody know if Forward Operating Bases and the other online elements (Non MGO) are cross compatible with PS4 to PS3?

Doubtful simple because of the graphical advantages the newer platforms hold -- draw distance alone would break games! That said, I'm sure both will have a large crowd!

Alienous

Found this on /v/
Mo05lT0.jpg

Interesting. So the non Tomokazu Metal Gear's are the ones with the shittiest stories?

That would explain a lot. Murata was the writer/director of the Guy Savage dream minigame in MGS3 (whatever the fuck being writer/director of that means).

Maybe when whatever Guy Savage was supposed to be fell apart Kojima let him co-write MGS4. Maybe Tomokazu objected to Kojima's flagrant use of nanomachines and got himself fired.

No wonder Kojima likes Stan Lee so much. Tomokazu was the Jack Kirby behind everything.

raven777

Interesting. So the non Tomokazu Metal Gear's are the ones with the shittiest stories?

That would explain a lot. Murata was the writer/director of the Guy Savage dream minigame in MGS3 (whatever the fuck being writer/director of that means).

Maybe when whatever Guy Savage was supposed to be fell apart Kojima let him co-write MGS4. Maybe Tomokazu objected to Kojima's flagrant use of nanomachines and got himself fired.

No wonder Kojima likes Stan Lee so much. Tomokazu was the Jack Kirby behind everything.

Did they say why Guy Savage was cut in HD collection?

J-Skee

So, just finished replaying MGS2. Is it me, or does a lot of what
the Patriots say to Raiden
hold true today? Didn't this game come out in 2001? That's insane.

Shy

5ipZ4Cfl.jpg

The eyes of the
"infected"

It always leads back to Bowie doesn't it?
Nightmare fuel.
Slightly off topic but what was the reason Kojima took out playable end of the tanker chapter?
Ummm, it's been awhile, but i think it had to do with the flow of the game, and it not being fun.
He talks about the reasons why in a documentary that came with MGS2, here's a link for it. it's quite good, you should give it a watch if you have the time.
Who else maxes out R&D as soon as they obtain Mother Base? I need a new stealth suit and a stealth camo at the beginning of the game.
Fuck yeah i will, get all the gadgets. :D

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Looking back at the 2013 announcement trailer it's remarkable just how little information about this game we have. Most of the footage is from GZ, and the stuff that isn't is from the same stuff we've been shown for two years (Miller's rescue, Quiet, etc).

Can someone phantom cigar us to 9/1?

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
yes im sure hideo kojima writting the story was the direct cause of why the voice director of the later games sucked.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
i think the idea of a ghost in the machine was ok in theory, but the execution of the Boss AI, plus having all this advanced stuff in 1974 while MGS3 was mostly grounded, leaves a ton to be desired. Having the game supposedly end with an incredibly overdramatic scene of a robot drowing itself while butterflies come out and theres a happy song in the backgournd and everything was really stupid. At least the real ending, j-pop and all, I'd say is pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom