• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

realcZk

Forgot about that.

Movement on foot was much like GZ but felt less spongy and Boss reacts more directly to controller inputs (not saying that it was bad before).
Vehicle handling definitely felt great compared to Ground Zeroes! Physics were better and turning the jeep didn't awkwardly slow it down.

Thanks! Pretty happy for those changes. How was the draw distance/general performance in open world setting? It seems greatly improved compared to GZ which is awesome. Did you see anything in the menus about the microtransactions?

Also, was the disappearing soldiers back from GZ? For example, in GZ when you left stunned/sleeping solider's bodies for a while and came back they had to reload or sometimes didn't reappear for a few seconds (sometimes not at all until I reloaded the area). I'm wondering if they improved upon that on the XO/PS4/PC versions. It seemed like a memory limitation in the engine that was likely there due to last-gen restrictions, but I'm hoping they were able to harness the extra memory of the newer platforms to get rid of this issue. It makes sense to stop rendering models out of view but GZ seemed to have issues bringing them back.

Quiet: The TGS Africa demo pretty much sums her up tbh. One difference that I noticed is I wasn't able to let her be dropped of to some random point in the map but only at fixed vantage points, but I don't know if that was because the demo was in-mission and not free roaming.

The TGS demo was the same actually. There was a group of sniping points to choose from when they requested her to drop in.

Thanks for the impressions!

I enjoyed watching this. I wonder if Kojima did the same research (going to locations and shooting them) for 4 as well as V?

Yes they used Morocco, Peru and Prague IIRC.
For V they used Jordan for Afghanistan and somewhere in Africa, which I'm guessing was real Angola.

Toparaman

Banned
MGS4 and Peace Walker exhibit reprehensibly shit writing.

If The Phantom Pain's story is as bad Kojima is confirmed hack writer.

You play GZ? Yeah...
second bomb in the vagina lol

I've come to peace with Kojima's bad writing. It's just part of the fun for me at this point.

Aizo

Banned
I know I posted about this a little bit last week, but I'm very confused about some of the stuff in the MGS timeline. I finally caught up and beat Ground Zeroes over the weekend, but I'm lost on a couple things. I guess I only need to spoiler tag Ground Zeroes stuff, right?

So... one thing I'm confused about is Big Boss' coma. The original coma was just a mistranslation in the first game, so that one never happened? There's just the one coma between
GV and TPP
, and then there's the one before MGS4?
Should I be aware of what happened in the 9 years after GV, or that's all info in the new one?

If Portable Ops was retconned, then what happened in between MGS3 and Peace Walker? BB's genes were taken before GV? How? When did Zero start all his shady business? Did he do it because of stuff in MG3 or things we haven't learned of yet?

If someone could summarize the information I'm confused about, that would be much appreciated. I recognize that some of this info may be stuff that's revealed in TPP, but I'm not sure what is going to be revealed and what I just haven't put together on my own.

Kindekuma

Banned
I know I posted about this a little bit last week, but I'm very confused about some of the stuff in the MGS timeline. I finally caught up and beat Ground Zeroes over the weekend, but I'm lost on a couple things. I guess I only need to spoiler tag Ground Zeroes stuff, right?

So... one thing I'm confused about is Big Boss' coma. The original coma was just a mistranslation in the first game, so that one never happened? There's just the one coma between
GV and TPP
, and then there's the one before MGS4?
Should I be aware of what happened in the 9 years after GV, or that's all info in the new one?

If Portable Ops was retconned, then what happened in between MGS3 and Peace Walker? BB's genes were taken before GV? How? When did Zero start all his shady business? Did he do it because of stuff in MG3 or things we haven't learned of yet?

If someone could summarize the information I'm confused about, that would be much appreciated. I recognize that some of this info may be stuff that's revealed in TPP, but I'm not sure what is going to be revealed and what I just haven't put together on my own.

There's only been one coma. What happens to BB in MG2-MGS4 is that he's in a state of suspended animation and not in a coma. BB's genes were extracted sometime after MGS3 and before Peace Walker.

Aizo

Banned
Okay. Before I asked, I was reading other questions online, and many seem to believe that learning about Les Enfants Terribles was what made BB and Zero split, but I did not have that assumption. I suppose there is just a lot of information that has not been revealed yet, and that's what is making me confused.

-Deimos

Okay. Before I asked, I was reading other questions online, and many seem to believe that learning about Les Enfants Terribles was what made BB and Zero split, but I did not have that assumption. I suppose there is just a lot of information that has not been revealed yet, and that's what is making me confused.

Pretty sure he knew in PW. He just didn't give a shit about the project or the clones.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
What do you mean it wasn't him? Solid Snake burned BB so bad in their brawl that he nearly killed him. But the Patriots wanted him alive so they kept him in suspended animation.

I guess I misunderstood what you wrote that he was in suspended animation during MG2.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

Pretty sure they directly say that's what caused the final split in MGS4.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Please go on.

Eva has like a 10 minute rambling explaining how Zero started to use Big Boss' image as a means to lure figures of interest into the Patriots, which ticked Big Boss off. Then he initiated the LET to have backup Big Bosses in case BB abandoned him, which was exactly what he did when he found out Zero and Para Medic cloned him without his permission.

Shy

He's referring to Kaz being a Cipher agent, not the LET.
When Kaz says"i wonder who Big Boss will respond" he's talking about LET, as that's the context of he was just talking about.
There isn't anything in that tape that suggests BB didn't know about the project, only whether it succeeded or not.
When Kaz says"i wonder who Big Boss will respond" that's a direct reference to him not knowing.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
When Kaz says"i wonder who Big Boss will respond" he's talking about LET, as that's the context of he was just talking about.

When Kaz says"i wonder who Big Boss will respond" that's a direct reference to him not knowing.

He knows about the project, the line is referring to how Big Boss will respond to the fact that it was a success and there were 2 clones made.

-Deimos

Respond to the fact that the project was a success. There wasn't any guarantee it would be when they started it.

ninja'd twice in a row.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
How long will the MGSV spoiler ban be in this thread? I'm thinking 3 months is more than enough, but dunno.

Shy

He knows about the project, the line is referring to how Big Boss will respond to the fact that it was a success and there were 2 clones made.

Respond to the fact that the project was a success. There wasn't any guarantee it would be when they started it.
So you're both saying he knew about it during PW, source please.
How long will the MGSV spoiler ban be in this thread? I'm thinking 3 months is more than enough, but dunno.
As long they're correctly tag and labeled as such, there's no need for a ban.

Aizo

Banned
I think I'm all caught up now. Thanks, everyone. Still confused about many characters' motivations and relationships, but I think TPP will fix that.

Aizo

Banned
I read a post in another thread saying that the PS3 database app sorta contradicted how the Liquid Snake hypnotism worked. That whole even really doesn't make any sense to me still. Why would he hypnotize himself to be Liquid? To fool the AI? Seems like a little much.

Kindekuma

Banned
I read a post in another thread saying that the PS3 database app sorta contradicted how the Liquid Snake hypnotism worked. That whole even really doesn't make any sense to me still. Why would he hypnotize himself to be Liquid? To fool the AI? Seems like a little much.

N A N O M A C H I N E S

Well, uh he needed to fool the Patriots. So basically yes, he needed to fool the AI.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
You know, even if the Liquid Snake persona was a fake in MGS4, it's really impressive how he behaves exactly like Liquid would. Ocelot definitely took a massive gamble because he didn't seem to have any self control until his last moments, it makes the whole "Liquid was the main antagonist in MGS4" thing believable. Even if Liquid wasn't there in spirit, his personality still almost plunged the world into chaos.

4 more trophies for GZ 100%.

I'm not sure that I am capable of S ranking the Intel Op Rescue.....

Well fuck there's all the trails too, isn't there? Feels bad man.

grimmiq

I'm a bit confused right now.

We're apparently getting free DLC taking us back to Camp Omega if we own Ground Zeroes, which is great. If we own the digitial version it's already linked to our PSN/XBL accounts. Saw a tweet from someone from Konami saying the PS+ edition counts as a full purchase, so they'll get the extra DLC.

Here's my issue, I'm in AUS and Ground Zeroes was delayed by 1 week, annoyed I bought the digital version from the NA PSN store, installed and played on my EU account.

Ground Zeroes came up on PS+, so as usual I "bought" everything, so I have the NA Digital and EU PS+ versions, though I don't think I've ever actually downloaded the EU version.

Despite TPP being cheaper in the NA store I still want to get the EU version simply because it's a pain having to put credit in my NA wallet if there's any interesting DLC.

All my save data was with the NA version and trying to go to the PS+ version just loads up the NA one..Should I delete the NA version and download the PS+ version just in case? Not sure if the Save data carries over and since DLC is generally region locked, I don't want to have to uninstall/re-download/fully clear Ground Zeroes again on TPP release day to get the GZ DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom