• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I noticed that as soon as I uploaded the picture lol, I edited the post with your new avatar

Thank you, you're a legend to those who live in this thread.

Man, at the store I'm working the Not Your Kind of People trailer plays every two hours or so. I just can't get enough of it, I'm so hyped.

tumblr_n9fs2jtVvH1svg4x1o1_400.gif
FKdLv.gif

So how will the GZ bonuses work? Just a simple game save transer? What about the codes that came included that we had to enter online? Haven't heard much since.

Ozium

It's not so much the US as it is Zero and the Patriots. Plus, working for Foxhound gave him resources to help build Outer Heaven without interference. BB sent Snake cause he was a rookie at the time and wasn't expected to succeed.

but Zero and the Patriots have the US government in their pocket by the time of MG1. And why would he need Foxhound to have resources to build Outer Heaven, he did fine without governmental assistance in PW and TPP...

-Deimos

but Zero and the Patriots have the US government in their pocket by the time of MG1. And why would he need Foxhound to have resources to build Outer Heaven, he did fine without governmental assistance in PW and TPP...

Well his crappy offshore oil rig got blown up at the end of GZ and who knows what's going to happen to Diamond Dogs. When I say resources, it's not just material stuff, but intelligence and a good alibi too.

Shy

I remember before MGS4 came out, they talked alot about how you could pick a side in the battlefield. But we have heard nothing like that with TPP. I highly doubt that will be in the game. TPP doesn't need it anyway. There is already soooo much to do. Just watch the latest FOB gameplay demonstration, that gameplay mode has far more exciting gameplay than most games out today and the crazy thing is that it's completely optional.
I understand not having a mechanic tied to it, but there should be conflicts in the game, going in the background/during missions(like 4) as it's at the height of the Afghan war, and would be a very large omission to leave it out.
ZOcTmr4.gif

He became the commander of foxhound so he could stay close to hie enemies, and gather as much intel as he could from them.

Feels good man.

I remember like it was yesterday when I first saw the GDC trailer and now it's nearing release.

Damn, I remember talking about that trailer back at the community college I transferred from with another MGS fan. That was one hell of a trailer. Part of me isn't processing the fact that the game is coming out so soon.

Question: If the US Govt. is trying to fuck over Big Boss, why does he work for them in Metal Gear 1?

Also, why did Big Boss send Snake to infiltrate Outer Heaven? In MGS4 ppl be hatin' on Solid Snake for "stopping Big Boss's plans to topple Zero/The Patriots." But BB is the one who sent him in there so why they mad tho?

Other's have already answered the first question, but they mad, because they be crazy. People need to understand that BB is not a hero in the end, and I hope V makes it abundantly clear (sure seems that way).

I actually have a theory on how BB manages to seemingly run Outer Heaven behind Zero's back. Pure speculation, but maaaybe...
1. Skullface starts Outer Heaven
2. Zero enacts a coup of DD with Kaz's help, offers to "forgive" Big Boss, giving him a mission to kill Skullface, and to destroy the Metal Gear it possesses.
3. BB begins this mission by "surrendering" to Skullface, and following Zero's plan, offers his services to fight with him against Zero.
4. In this final chapter of the game, BB gains Skullface's trust by showing his loyalty through the game's penultimate missions.
5. After gaining his trust, he kills Skullface and replaces his destroyed army with surviving loyal former DD soldiers, this army takes on the flag of Outer Heaven and escapes the nuclear destruction of Metal Gear and the former base of Outer Heaven, ostensibly still led by a surviving Skullface.
6. BB does in fact destroy Metal Gear ST-88, a modified Zeke which follows the Granin and Huey design which later is revived by the Patriots using Otacon to make REX. This explains why Outer Heaven's later Metal Gears are so different in design, since nearly all of the design documents, research, and actual body for ST-88/Zeke is lost in the nuclear blast meant to cover up the successful destruction of Skullface, Outer Heaven must start fresh, while Huey, now under Patriot control, may provide some guidance for the eventual REX project before drowning himself.
6. BB joins Foxhound and Zero with the pretense of "settling the score" with Skullface, Zero's ego is swelled as he believes he has gotten Big Boss to "finally see things (his) way", so he trusts Big Boss' allegiance.

This has a few holes, notably it doesn't match too well with shots of Eli riding ST-88 around and the shot of Skullface seemingly on Mother base with ST-88, but the general idea really seems like it could be a way to explain how BB even hopes to stand a chance of fighting Zero while working for him. An Outer Heaven
run by "Skullface" until Metal Gear 1
explains how Zero could believe he had BB under control, because they had a
"common and elusive enemy"

(BTW, this used to be paragraphs long, but I decided if it spent me an hour or so to write it, it probably was too long to be worth reading. I still have it saved though, it mostly explains in more detail what I've just played down)

Has there been any evidence to suggest that we'll get to enjoy some MGS4 ACT1/2 style battlefield sneaking? For example, open firefights between the Soviets and the Mujahideen in Kabul? It would kinda suck if Afghanistan was just a wasteland of Soviet occupied forts with no power struggle going on whatsoever.

I think this is a possible thing, but only in a few certain missions. It likely would get in the way of player freedom if it existed consistently throughout the game's world, so just limiting it to set pieces seems to make the most sense.

Not saying it wouldn't be cool and interesting for there to be a persistent battlegrounds that move around from region to region in regular play, but it probably wouldn't run on last gen consoles, and was deemed, again, restrictive in the end.

I've remained agnostic in the TeamA vs Team B battle for too long. It's time I made my choice.

I, Black Pewter of House OuterGAF, hereby publicly declare my allegiance to

#TeamB, obviously.

Yeah, I'm the same, although I think my last post on the matter concluded team C since I hadn't known that the game was absolutely the very last Metal Gear by Kojima, so comments like "I'm not yet done with Solid Snake's story" didn't mean as much, since it was just talk hyping a possible MGS6 in my eyes.

But count me on Team B. David genuinely seemed hurt by his exclusion, which leads me to believe any Team A appearance would be recorded very late, and I don't think Kojima would be so cold to take David off for years only to cast him as a last second cameo.

Done.

I guess i'll explain the img. lol.

So since its Kojimas last game... i thought it was appropriate. Roles have change... and Kojima is looking for a new purpose. Big Boss... is just happy to be there with Kojima. To drive off into a new beginning.

*sniff.
Cool idea, count me in!

Also damn, that MGSV NeoGAF YouTube playlist has got some choice picks, I just discovered Joan Baez's Diamonds and Rust because of it, and it seems to fit BB and the Boss relatively well, and matches the somber tone of V regardless. I now hope it is the game's end credits song.

Done.

I guess i'll explain the img. lol.

So since its Kojimas last game... i thought it was appropriate. Roles have change... and Kojima is looking for a new purpose. Big Boss... is just happy to be there with Kojima. To drive off into a new beginning.

*sniff.

It would be cool if you could add me too!

Banzai

Was thinking it would be interesting if Sergei Gurlukovich showed up as a Russian commander in this.

More importantly, do you think Johnny will show up?

Also I can't see any images while browsing at work but would appreciate being added to whatever hype image it is you guys are talking about.

J-Skee

20 days? Ugh, I'm in the middle of playing MGS3 now. I still have MGS4 & Peace Walker to finish after that. I don't think I'm gonna make it.

Shy

Other's have already answered the first question, but they mad, because they be crazy. People need to understand that BB is not a hero in the end, and I hope V makes it abundantly clear (sure seems that way).
I couldn't agree more. And i said a few pages ago that's my biggest fear, that ever since BB's fight against Zero and the patriots was Introduced, that Kojima would use that to try and soften him.
I actually have a theory on how BB manages to seemingly run Outer Heaven behind Zero's back. Pure speculation, but maaaybe...
I have a similar theory. Mine is, BB "sees the light" of Zero's side of the argument, but to win his trust, Zero tells BB to slaughter all of DD, which BB does, he then becomes the commander of the foxhound. All the while outer haven is being built up in Zanzibar.
More importantly, do you think Johnny will show up?.
Not Johnny, but his dad. Also called Johnny. LOL

So close to release, I still have progress to go with Ground Zeroes but completed it with a fulfilling S-Rank the other day. The biggest obstacle for me was getting Paz out but I find
if you take her up the stairway with the camera, you can go up the stairway for a high vantage point on the guard, tranq him, go through the door leading to the main gate where I simply place her in the passenger seat and drive her back to the cliff-side point of entry.

So excited to delve into this game. I look at the map's comparison and get excited at the possibilities, going through the trailer's it's astounding how little has been shown beyond the "Let the legend come back to life!" mission from the 2013 trailer. Hope spoilers won't affect a lot of people leading into Sep. 1st. I think out of any game of the series it'll benefit the most from going in cold.

I found this trailer of Snake Eater which has been one of my favourites of the series. There's just something about the way the song kicks into the psychedelic CQC imagery at the 3:00 mark.

Banzai

Not Johnny, but his dad. Also called Johnny. LOL

I was thinking MGS3's Johnny's kid, Johnny, might show. Which I guess might be MGS1/4's Johnny's dad.
...What happens when a Johnny has two sons? Was the Johnny in MGS2 the same as in 1 and 4? If Kojima doesn't answer these questions I'll consider MGSV a failure.

Embearded

You're all gonna be real disappointed when Big Boss turns out to be a tragic hero and Kaz was the REAL monster.

edit: and when Big Boss rejoining Foxhound is never touched on or hinted at

If you haven't beaten previous games dont read this.
SPOILER
I was thinking something like that, but Hideo already said that there will be inconsistencies so we can all be wrong. Master Miller sounded like a good guy in MG2:SS and MGS1 but if you compare him with the Kaz we know its like day and night.
Ocelot and Big Boss have been the main antagonists in most games but they were just trying to get Zero and Solid Snake was always there to stop them.

Oh, can we still join teams? I'd love to be part of Team B if possible.

Yes you can, they will put you as soon as they see the message.
Welcome aboard brother! Team B is the right choice!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
20 days? Ugh, I'm in the middle of playing MGS3 now. I still have MGS4 & Peace Walker to finish after that. I don't think I'm gonna make it.

I'm doing my rerun of the BB games and I'm only up to The Fear. It's gonna be close!

Also: how does one get on the HYPEU pic?

Ryan_MSF

Decided after less than 24 hours in Tokyo i'm never coming home, Just need to find Ms Joosten, convince her she needs me as her husbando and I can live out my days in bliss.

Hope you're all good brothers!

Vally

Team A member needs onboard, please.

Was thinking it would be interesting if Sergei Gurlukovich showed up as a Russian commander in this.

But count me on Team B. David genuinely seemed hurt by his exclusion, which leads me to believe any Team A appearance would be recorded very late, and I don't think Kojima would be so cold to take David off for years only to cast him as a last second cameo.

Oh, can we still join teams? I'd love to be part of Team B if possible.

Done

Embearded

I googled Kyle Cooper and while reading his wikipedia article, i clicked on TPP link and scrolled down to the Development section.
Do you remember that poster guys?

I was so hyped! I didn't expect it at all and then out of the blue this came out!
It's been almost 3 years now and we are almost there.

Venom Fox

Banned
I googled Kyle Cooper and while reading his wikipedia article, i clicked on TPP link and scrolled down to the Development section.
Do you remember that poster guys?

I was so hyped! I didn't expect it at all and then out of the blue this came out!
It's been almost 3 years now and we are almost there.
What a find Stratos, I can't believe it's been 3 years, 3-4 years of project ogre teasing, see through nurse top teasing, KojiPro boardroom teasing, the little black kid, his dog and a jungle teasing, the ground zeroes reveal and release. Now we are 20 days away from the last MGS and it makes me sad, yet happy and extremely excited at the same time.

Erban1

Been debating with myself about what team I'm on lately, and just because I want to believe we'll have a chance to infiltrate Outer Heaven I'm officially #TeamA.

Embearded

What a find Stratos, I can't believe it's been 3 years, 3-4 years of project ogre teasing, see through nurse top teasing, KojiPro boardroom teasing, the little black kid, his dog and a jungle teasing, the ground zeroes reveal and release. Now we are 20 days away from the last MGS and it makes me sad, yet happy and extremely excited at the same time.

It was there, right in front of us, the new MGS and Kojima told us that it's just testing! The African kid from TPP, D-Horse and some very early version of DD! I believe it was the time when they announced HD Collection and Rising?
Damn feels like ages ago!

The wait for Sept 1st feels like its going to go by so slow now. Only took me 8 months to finally crack down and 'finish' Ground Zeroes.

I am stuck at 90% since this morning because that Jamais Vu mission seems impossible for me to S rank it! I did a 0 kills run but i had 5 alerts!

Viexi

Banned
It was there, right in front of us, the new MGS and Kojima told us that it's just testing! The African kid from TPP, D-Horse and some very early version of DD! I believe it was the time when they announced HD Collection and Rising?
Damn feels like ages ago!

I am stuck at 90% since this morning because that Jamais Vu mission seems impossible for me to S rank it! I did a 0 kills run but i had 5 alerts!

The trick to the Jamais Vu mission is to not get caught during the Helicopter assault. Even though you're running around shooting at people, they're so focused on attacking the helicopter that they haven't actually noticed you yet.

Hunker down somewhere that isn't easy to see, and blast some headshots. It helps to know where each group spawns, too.

Embearded

The trick to the Jamais Vu mission is to not get caught during the Helicopter assault. Even though you're running around shooting at people, they're so focused on attacking the helicopter that they haven't actually noticed you yet.

Hunker down somewhere that isn't easy to see, and blast some headshots. It helps to know where each group spawns, too.

I'll give it a try now mate!

Someone in the modding thread needed help and after the game updates i disabled again that weird DOF. It was annoying as hell.
I hope they put it as a separate graphic option in TPP.

pahamrick

Someone in the modding thread needed help and after the game updates i disabled again that weird DOF. It was annoying as hell.

Yeah, that's basically what I had to do to get 0 Alerts. I think it took me.. 10 tries before I finally got an S rank on Hard, normal was around 2.

Viexi

Banned

Best of luck! You may need to do it a few times but once you memorise their patterns it'll be easy :)

#TeamA: David Hayter will voice Solid Snake
#TeamB: No David Hayter, but Solid Snake will appear
#TeamC: No David Hayter, no Solid Snake
#TeamD: Big Boss = Gray Fox. COINCIDENCE?

TEAM A. TEAM AAAAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom