• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAX PAYMENT

Älg;175217199 said:
I can't find a good source that doens't spoil stuff, but basically yes. Even if he didn't say that you'd understand after you've seen it how absolutely nonsensical and stupid it is to end the series on Revenge of the Sith.

Uhhh.... what? If it was designed to be watched in chronological order, the biggest plot twist in movie history would no longer be a plot twist.

Älg

Uhhh.... what? If it was designed to be watched in chronological order, the biggest plot twist in movie history would no longer be a plot twist.

That's true, and it's the biggest issue with that order. That's why you watch it 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6; you end on Return of the Jedi, and you keep the twist.

I mean, you can't seriously say that 3 is a good way to tie things up. Can you imagine how extremly unsatisfying it would be for a first time viewer to end there? It would be like watching Return of the King first and finishing with The Two Towers; it just makes no god damn sense.

4,5,1,2,3,6 is a pretty novel way to view them. Hell, even skip 1 unless you want to be a completionist. After the initial reveal from 5, the prequels explain the downfall, and 6 finishes both arcs. It works.

Viexi

Banned
I'll just go ahead and state (without previously reading properly about this debate) that series, sagas and stories should always be read, experienced and played (for the first time) in chronological release order. That's how they were fundamentally designed and developed. In that order.

Chronological story is a great way of experiencing a story once you've gotten to know it better.

Seldom do you benefit from breaking this guideline.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I forgot, what did classified intel recording say? Or has no one figure that one out?

Skullface

So what is OuterGAF playing to kill this month? Witcher 3 has been a fantastic experience for me. I'm about 100 hours in and I haven't visited Skellige. There's just no way I'm beating this game before Phantom Pain comes out. If I buckled down and stuck to the story quest, maybe.... But I haven't played a story quest in weeks o.o

FiraB

Banned
So what is OuterGAF playing to kill this month? Witcher 3 has been a fantastic experience for me. I'm about 100 hours in and I haven't visited Skellige. There's just no way I'm beating this game before Phantom Pain comes out. If I buckled down and stuck to the story quest, maybe.... But I haven't played a story quest in weeks o.o
beaten this month?

MGS3 PS2
MGS PW
MGS GZ 100% PC
South Park Stick of Truth
XCOM Long War (Three Months to do this)
Disgaea 4
Xenogears
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
Total War Shogun 2 Campaign
Invisble Inc
Bioshock Infinite
Murder Soul Suspect
The Last of Us
Uncharted 3

And closed beta tested Tree of Savoir....

I'm quitting smoking so my partner has let me get away with a shitload of gaming to keep me distracted and busy.

Ozium

I played Roundabout and now playing Contradiction.. I throw in some Civ 5 in there (that game is a real life Phantom Cigar, you start playing it and then suddenly hours have passed!) and Splatoon/TF2

I completed MGS 1-4, PW, Far Cry 4, picked up REmake, bit of Destiny and have the Witcher 3 staring me in the face. so good but daunting in it's size.

Also have PC games such as Mirror's Edge and Deux Ex. I've actually been fairly good on getting rid of my backlog this summer. It's all going to hell September 1st.

Well, I think my endeavor to 100% GZ trophies is coming to a premature end. This marking all enemies trial is frankly not fun, and I gotta do it 5 times over?!?! I'll pass....

I guess I could still work towards getting the last cassette tape by doing hard missions. That last missing trohpy is gonna hurt doe

Rajang

Well, I think my endeavor to 100% GZ trophies is coming to a premature end. This marking all enemies trial is frankly not fun, and I gotta do it 5 times over?!?! I'll pass....

I guess I could still work towards getting the last cassette tape by doing hard missions. That last missing trohpy is gonna hurt doe

It's not hard, just mark someone and then kill them.

Gun Animal

It's not hard, just mark someone and then kill them.

Yeah, it's really just a "stealth kill everyone in the map" challenge. You just have to aim at them one second longer than usual so they're "marked"

Skullface

beaten this month?

MGS3 PS2
MGS PW
MGS GZ 100% PC
South Park Stick of Truth
XCOM Long War (Three Months to do this)
Disgaea 4
Xenogears
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
Total War Shogun 2 Campaign
Invisble Inc
Bioshock Infinite
Murder Soul Suspect
The Last of Us
Uncharted 3

And closed beta tested Tree of Savoir....

I'm quitting smoking so my partner has let me get away with a shitload of gaming to keep me distracted and busy.

Growing up, my very first experience with a turn based JRPG was Super Mario RPG. It was an odd situation. My dad rented the wrong game from the video store. Well, I was disappointed l, but I gave it a try. Next thing you know, I was in love. I begged for the game as a birthday present and I finally got it. Well, I beat it and was extremely sad l, because I thought this game was one of a kind😢. Heck, I didn't even realize Final Fantasy II and III ( 4 and 6 ) were a thing and on the same console.

Christmas rolls around. The big gift was the Playstation. I remember we got this obscure VHS:
gamebrain.jpg
You can actually find it on YouTube. It's some kind of video walkthrough. It's fantastic, I highly recommend it if you were around for Playstation's younger days. Back on track, it covered Final Fantasy 7. I thought it looked fantastic!!! And guess what?! It had an extremely similar battle system to Mario RPG. What's this? Wait a minute... 7?? There are 7 games just like Mario RPG? Wait a minute... Squaresoft? That name was on MRPG. I get it now, RPG is a genre and Squaresoft makes a lot of them.

So having finished FF7 and needing to fill the gap in my heart for a JRPG, I set out to Funcoland for a new and exciting adventure. I saw Xenogears. There's Weltal on the cover as well as Fei looking bad ass... I knew this was it. I picked it up and it was just what I was looking for. It had the platforming elements and interactive battles that MRPG had and that FF7 was lacking. It was incredible!! To this day, my favorite JRPG. It only took me 3-4 playthroughs over the course of 5-6 years for me to finally get the story though. I think I was 10 the first time I played it.

Well, sorry for my rambling post. This was the story of how Xenogears was my 3rd JRPG, and how it's still my favorite to this day. Gosh, I really hope the FF7 remake is turn based. I really miss that in JRPGs these days. I need sleep. I also need scissors 61. Aliens.

I completed the entire Ratchet and Clank original trilogy in about a week.

Now I'm on to DmC

I have 7 chico tapes, agent's recording, classified intel recording, here's to you, theme of tara, resurgence and that ZOE song

Have you not played Jamais Vu? That gives "Ambushed" from MGR and "Pleasure of Tension" from Snatcher.

Edit:
So what is OuterGAF playing to kill this month?

I intend to finally finish the Danganronpa 2 playthrough I began in late December. It's an excellent game, I've just been very side tracked by school work, but tomorrow, I finish my final exam for Calculus 2. I hope I do well, but even if I don't ace it, I will have TPP and a few weeks of freedom to enjoy.

Banzai

I really don't know. I play Smash for Wii U from time to time but apart from that I got nothing. The last few weeks will be excruciating lol

BRRRRRRRRRRROTTTTTTTTHERRRRS!

Just got confirmation that I'm heading to University in September!

After swimming in a pool of schoolwork for 3 years, I've managed to avoid drowning!

get

Embearded

BRRRRRRRRRRROTTTTTTTTHERRRRS!

Just got confirmation that I'm heading to University in September!

After swimming in a pool of schoolwork for 3 years, I've managed to avoid drowning!

Congratulations brother!

I am trying to 100% GZ but i am not that far.
After finishing GZ, i'm gonna spend my gaming time with silly tower defence games and CS:GO during the nights.
Some classmates "hired" me to teach them microcontrollers for the exams so i get some extra money these days. But i also have to study for my own courses.

Skullface

I really don't know. I play Smash for Wii U from time to time but apart from that I got nothing. The last few weeks will be excruciating lol

Can I just say that I'm incredibly disapointed in Smash? No single player "campaign"? Wtf? I found myself bored within a couple hours.

I'm just up to The End fight in MGS3. Hoping to get a couple of fresh runs of PW and GZ done before my PS4 arrives around 01/09 (hence why I'm not on the OuterGAF spreadsheet).

Wow, a couple runs of PW? Are you doing a story run as if you're playing a "new game plus" type deal with a strong mother base and powerful R&D items? Starting fresh with PW and getting the true ending takes me at least a couple weeks.

Banzai

Can I just say that I'm incredibly disapointed in Smash? No single player "campaign"? Wtf? I found myself bored within a couple hours.

Yeah, they were a bit weird about what mode does or doesn't get in to new games in the series. If I'm not playing with friends I'm usually playing online so single player doesn't bother me much. What disappointed me was the lackluster Tournament mode they patched in recently.

I think I wanna play the first MGS before V comes to but the game doesn't have the english voice acting on german psn...

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, a couple runs of PW? Are you doing a story run as if you're playing a "new game plus" type deal with a strong mother base and powerful R&D items? Starting fresh with PW and getting the true ending takes me at least a couple weeks.

Sorry, I didn't make that clear. Imma do one new run of PW and GZ each. I wouldn't have the time to get in a couple of runs of PW! :D

Funny you should bring that up because that's been my First World dilemma of late: to NG+ or not to NG+. Since you put it like that, I'll probably just go off my current save. All I want is to get into the MGS atmosphere again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom