• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajang

PM'd duckroll about the FOB OT, I'll let you guys know the answer as soon as I get it.

FOB is part of the main game. Why would there need to be a seperate OT for that?

I want to, but out of nowhere I've gone on a major Diablo 3 kick.

kermit.jpg

Erban1

FOB is part of the main game. Why would there need to be a seperate OT for that?

With the level of anticipation here as well as the desire to coordinate with other gaffers It might be a good idea to have a separate OT. A couple days ago I proposed a system where we can provide security consulting for others here since there's a strong community component, it could be a fairly massive thread and would be easier to coordinate outside of the main OT

Erban1

I'd rather it been combined with the MGO thread, but that's a month out from launch, it's gonna suck trying to keep up with some ground rules for cooperation within the OT

Cathcart

GWENT from The Witcher 3 had its own OT.

That happened naturally after the game came out because Gwent was such a huge topic on its own that was taking over the main thread. Maybe jumping the gun here to already try and decide ahead of time that we need a separate OT for something we haven't even played yet. Did we have an OT for invasions in the Souls games?

In the spoiler thread you are allowed to talk freely about the whole game without needing spoiler tags. Basically don't go there until you're done with the game

OTs are a mess when a game releases. I won't bother even with the OT until I am done with game. I hated the people that dropped area and boss names in the Bloodborne OT. Awful.

Anth0ny

OTs are a mess when a game releases. I won't bother even with the OT until I am done with game. I hated the people that dropped area and boss names in the Bloodborne OT. Awful.

Yeah, I totally avoid game OTs until I'm done with the game. Especially games like MGS where story can be spoiled.

Anyways, I'm playing through MGS4 now, and I continue to be BAFFLED that they didn't remaster this shit for PS4. After coming off MGS3 HD, which looks smooth as fuck and ran at a rock solid 60 fps, I come to 4. Jaggies everywhere and frame rate is all over the place. I look at some of the dog shit from last gen that got a remaster on PS4... you're telling me MGS4 isn't deserving of a remaster? Arguably the best game on PS3? Plus it's free fucking marketing for the sequel! Everyone is doing it! ugh

/rant

realcZk

Yeah, I totally avoid game OTs until I'm done with the game. Especially games like MGS where story can be spoiled.

Anyways, I'm playing through MGS4 now, and I continue to be BAFFLED that they didn't remaster this shit for PS4. After coming off MGS3 HD, which looks smooth as fuck and ran at a rock solid 60 fps, I come to 4. Jaggies everywhere and frame rate is all over the place. I look at some of the dog shit from last gen that got a remaster on PS4... you're telling me MGS4 isn't deserving of a remaster? Arguably the best game on PS3? Plus it's free fucking marketing for the sequel! Everyone is doing it! ugh

/rant

Man, I would love an MGS4 remaster. That game toys with my emotions.

Tzmhero

So I was watching a playthrough from I think E3 2014 and I noticed something peculiar. It's already known that Snake doesn't talk too much anymore after the events of Ground Zeroes. He didn't say much in GZ, but he said enough.
The reason i say we see this somewhat long conversation between he and Ocelot... and Ocelot is yapping his ear off while Snake is just stone silent.

Feels like only when he is alone does Snake talk at all, and even then, that's just the incidental sounds of 'spit it out' and 'talk' or telling his buddies what to do.

Just an interesting parallel to the idea of Language that is a major theme in the game. How language changes you.

Just a thought I guess.

/rant
As much as it would be great to play MGS4 remastered right before Phantom Pain, it would have been weird to sell The End of The Grand Saga right before The End of Big Boss's Story. Sorta like that one time WB11 had Star Wars on TV before Phantom Menace hit theaters and they pitched it as "WATCH HOW IT ALL BEGAN BEFORE IT BEGINS AGAIN!!" I guess it would have been "PLAY THE NARRATIVE END OF MGS BEFORE IT ENDS AGAIN BUT FOR REALSIES" ._.

Plus, for me, I'd want an MGS4 remaster to go deeper than smoothing out performance and textures. There are elements of how the game plays that make it feel like a halfstep towards traditional 3rd person shooters but still held back by the bad parts of old MGSness.

Erban1

Welp, no go from the mods...

i have a bad feeling coordination is going to be an absolute pain in the ass now

It was worth a try

Anth0ny

So I was watching a playthrough from I think E3 2014 and I noticed something peculiar. It's already known that Snake doesn't talk too much anymore after the events of Ground Zeroes. He didn't say much in GZ, but he said enough.
The reason i say we see this somewhat long conversation between he and Ocelot... and Ocelot is yapping his ear off while Snake is just stone silent.

Feels like only when he is alone does Snake talk at all, and even then, that's just the incidental sounds of 'spit it out' and 'talk' or telling his buddies what to do.

Just an interesting parallel to the idea of Language that is a major theme in the game. How language changes you.

Just a thought I guess.

real reason: they couldn't afford enough studio time with kiefer

but if they can generate an in universe reason for why snake is so quiet in this game that would be sweet

As much as it would be great to play MGS4 remastered right before Phantom Pain, it would have been weird to sell The End of The Grand Saga right before The End of Big Boss's Story. Sorta like that one time WB11 had Star Wars on TV before Phantom Menace hit theaters and they pitched it as "WATCH HOW IT ALL BEGAN BEFORE IT BEGINS AGAIN!!" I guess it would have been "PLAY THE NARRATIVE END OF MGS BEFORE IT ENDS AGAIN BUT FOR REALSIES" ._.

Plus, for me, I'd want an MGS4 remaster to go deeper than smoothing out performance and textures. There are elements of how the game plays that make it feel like a halfstep towards traditional 3rd person shooters but still held back by the bad parts of old MGSness.

That would have been weird, yes, but I don't think the marketing message had to go much further than "There's a big Metal Gear coming out. Can't wait, right? So we're remastering the last one on PS4, SO YOU CAN PLAY METAL GEAR ON PS4 NOW. GOGOGO $40 PLS"

real reason: they couldn't afford enough studio time with kiefer

but if they can generate an in universe reason for why snake is so quiet in this game that would be sweet

Previews stated that Big Boss is a chatterbox on the tapes (read; PW/TPP's implementation of codec), but not really in-game.

Venom Fox

Banned
MGSV related OT's:

- MGSV
- MGSV Spoiler Thread
- MGO
- MGS Community Thread

And now FOB?
I agree that an FOB thread would be too much, seen as its apart of the main game.
As for the other threads, the comm thread is here, so we would only have two threads on gaming side, the day of release though won't we? Since MGO is delayed we may as well delay the MGO thread until October.

Oh as well, guys, I'm having trouble editing my PSN in to our spreadsheet on IPad.
So I need to ask how to do a hidden quote tag thing lol

realcZk

Just a thought I guess.

You bring up some good points. For the most part he was pretty silent in GZ, however the mission briefing tapes did have a lot of Snake. From what I've heard about the press impressions from TPP, you still hear a lot of snake in the cassette tapes but not so much in the game. It'll be important to check out the briefing cassettes before missions if we want his vocal input I suppose, since it's no longer forced upon you in codec calls that pause the game, or long cutscenes.

BB has been through hell and he seems to be a different person after the coma. I get the feeling he's more "to the point" and carefully chooses his words and actions at this point.

Darkangel

Do you guys think Solidus will make an appearance in MGS5? He was said to be operating in Africa during the mid-late 1980s. I have a feeling that the game will feature some time jumps if they really want it to be the "missing link" of the MGS storyline.

Tzmhero

Speaking of Hell, during my playthrough of Peace Walker I just started, a line jumped out at me. Snake meets up with Amanda after rescuing her and muses some thoughts about leading a revolution.

"If you pick up a gun, sooner or later you're going to Hell."

A fun consistency.

YomommaZ

Damn dat sweet 60$... I'm still going back and forth between 69.99€ PSN preorder or ~56€ frisbee version if I want to import my GZ safe file.
The first option saves me the trouble of juggling the frisbees and I have no intention of selling this game and I can start playing day 1. The second option is cheaper but I'll probably have to wait at least a week to start playing and PS4 might create a vortex when spinnig that frisbee (my PS4 never had to deal with a pshysical game yet).

realcZk

Damn dat sweet 60$... I'm still going back and forth between 69.99€ PSN preorder or ~56€ frisbee version if I want to import my GZ safe file.
The first option saves me the trouble of juggling the frisbees and I have no intention of selling this game and I can start playing day 1. The second option is cheaper but I'll probably have to wait at least a week to start playing and PS4 might create a vortex when spinnig that frisbee (my PS4 never had to deal with a pshysical game yet).

Just a thought -- not sure if this works but couldn't you create a USA PSN account and then use PayPal to put $60 in the wallet at store.playstation.com, then purchase TPP with that account? After using that acc to login and download TPP on the PS4 you may then be able to log back into your PSN account and play the game? That might require the USA PSN account to have that PS4 set as primary though.

Embearded

Do you guys think Solidus will make an appearance in MGS5? He was said to be operating in Africa during the mid-late 1980s. I have a feeling that the game will feature some time jumps if they really want it to be the "missing link" of the MGS storyline.

I am afraid of those time jumps some of you are talking about. I really don't want them and if it wasn't for the coma which adds to the drama, i'd dislike those 9 years of nothingness!
I need info about every fucking day of Snakes life!

Solidus could be in the game but if the game doesn't change what we know about the clones and their relationship with Big Boss, i don't see him nor Solid being a big part of the game.

YomommaZ

Just a thought -- not sure if this works but couldn't you create a USA PSN account and then use PayPal to put $60 in the wallet at store.playstation.com, then purchase TPP with that account? After using that acc to login and download TPP on the PS4 you may then be able to log back into your PSN account and play the game? That might require the USA PSN account to have that PS4 set as primary though.

I already have a US account which I'm usually buying stuff with but I think I can't transfer my save file between regions if I'm not mistaken... If I am tho... It would be mega nice if this file import works between regions. If it just reads the save file you have on HDD it might work I guess. Anybody knows?

Last year when € to $ ratio was better I got Destiny DGE for 90$ which was ~66€ and here it was 90€ I think.

realcZk

I already have a US account which I'm usually buying stuff with but I think I can't transfer my save file between regions if I'm not mistaken... If I am tho... It would be mega nice if this file import works between regions. If it just reads the save file u have on HDD it might work I guess. Anybody knows?

Last year when € to $ ratio was better I got Destiny DGE for 90$ which was ~66€ and here it was 90€ I think.

Well, that's a good concern. I would hope it would, but I can't comment on if that works or not, I've never done cross-region stuff on PS4.

DevilFox

Can I share this with you? :D It's a trailer for MGSV made from movie trailers (Fury, Mad Max: Fury Road and Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice) edited by a friend. I translated it in english and improved video quality. Dude had a nice idea in my opinion...

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Trailer

.. that Big Boss dubbed by Brad Pitt though XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom