• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.
100% trophies on Ground Zeroes. Feels good bros.

tumblr_mrj6tnprqF1r1oesuo7_250.gif

I hope the eyepatch comes off in TPP for some kind of cripple fight between Kaz and BB on Motherbase. With themes of lost limbs, it makes sense to see BB without the eyepatch at some point in TPP.
I like that you can see recess in the band and it is not a rigid material.
I'm sure that at some point we will see his eye.

Wonder what everyone's expectations are on TPP's enemy unit, "They Who Don't Exist."

So far, all we've seen of them is that there are two core baddies (Kid Mantis and Man on Fire ), and presumably the Skulls (crazy zombie cyborg things) are the mini-boss/grunts of TWDE. Will be kinda disappointed if all we see of TWDE are 2 of em with the rest being elite grunts.

Heck, even if they throw in one more... like say Gray Fox, I feel like only 3 of em ain't enough.

I hope the eyepatch comes off in TPP for some kind of cripple fight between Kaz and BB on Motherbase. With themes of lost limbs, it makes sense to see BB without the eyepatch at some point in TPP.

If Big Boss doesn't scream VIHTA during that Kaz Fight, MGSV is officially dead2me.

Complete with flashback sequences of both of them brawling stark naked in MSF Mother Base.

Woodchipper

Wonder what everyone's expectations are on TPP's enemy unit, "They Who Don't Exist."

So far, all we've seen of them is that there are two core baddies (Kid Mantis and Man on Fire ), and presumably the Skulls (crazy zombie cyborg things) are the mini-boss/grunts of TWDE. Will be kinda disappointed if all we see of TWDE are 2 of em with the rest being elite grunts.

Heck, even if they throw in one more... like say Gray Fox, I feel like only 3 of em ain't enough.
Do we know for certain Quiet is not a boss at some point? Also, Eli is another one I think. Oh, and what about Skullface?

Edit: Sorry, just realized you were talking about TWDE specifically and not bosses in general, lol.

Shy

Ok, question for you guys.

For the outer-gaf healine, I'm thinking either.
A Hideo Kojima Group.
Gaben, we're already a demon.

I'm open to some suggestions, if anyone has a better idea.

And i'm gonna write out the about section in here first, to see if you guys like or not.
---------------------------
I can't remember who asked a mod about making a FOB thread, but whoever it was, which mod did you ask. ?

A Hideo Kojima Group.

And i'm gonna write out the about section in here first, to see if you guys like or not.
I can't remember who asked a mod about making a FOB thread, but whoever it was, which mod did you ask. ?

A Hideo Kojima Group sound good to me !

axjiJH.gif

Embearded

A Hideo Kojima Group.

You mean in the OuterGAF Steam group?

"Soldiers forever loyal to the flames of war".

A reference to Big Boss's gravestone in MGS4.

trillbo

Brothers!

I just managed to get Sep 1st off work. Any word on whether the PC release is at midnight?

Also, hoping my Golden Joystick hardback book arrives today. Will post some pics if it does.

Gun Animal

Just played through Metal Gear Risig for the first time since last year... God, it's much more fun to play than any othet Metal Gear, and the story has a lot more going for it than the three Metal Gears that preceded it. I know Konami's going all out on Pachinko whatever, but I'll be really disappointed if we don't get a Metal Gear Rising 2 at some point. There's so much potential there.

Ideally MGR2 could find some way to blend the MGSV style of gameplay with the cyborg ninja elements. MGR certainly had optional stealth, but it was a little barebones.

edit: i hope the launch trailer shows us some more bosses, lol. Getting real worried about bosses in MGSV, especially since barring MGR we havent had a great boss cell since 2004.

neoemonk

I'm getting close to finishing Portable Ops. So far I'd say it's a fun experience marred by horrible controls but I've never played it before so I'm glad I'm doing it once at least. It's probably safe to just watch the cutscenes on YouTube if anyone is on the fence about playing but I've had it for years so I figured what the heck.

Most interesting for me was the old OT here. People in that thread heaped praise on the game but history seems to have shown that Peace Walker was the better entry. I'll be moving on to that next in the lead up to Phantom Pain.

Erban1

A Hideo Kojima Group.

Hey Shy, I asked Duckroll about the FOB thread. You gonna ask someone else?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Just played through Metal Gear Risig for the first time since last year... God, it's much more fun to play than any othet Metal Gear, and the story has a lot more going for it than the three Metal Gears that preceded it.

I love Rising but can't agree with either of those statements. Gameplay comparison is apples and oranges; they are fun in completely different ways. Narratively, MGS1-3 shit all over MGR from a great height.

Ideally MGR2 could find some way to blend the MGSV style of gameplay with the cyborg ninja elements. MGR certainly had optional stealth, but it was a little barebones.

That would be interesting if they could pull it off. Open world (sort of procedural) Character Action? Tricky considering encounter design is vital to the challenge...

Gun Animal

I love Rising but can't agree with either of those statements. Gameplay comparison is apples and oranges; they are fun in completely different ways. Narratively, MGS1-3 shit all over MGR from a great height.
For what it's worth, I think GZ is more fun to play than Rising---MGS1-PW all just feel so antequated for me. And I do prefer character action to Stealth.

I agree with you on the second point, my original post said it had more going for it than the previous three games---as in PO, MGS4 and PW. I'd rank it fourth in the series storywise, behind 1/2/3.

I made a chart awhile ago to illustrate my overall ranking of the series. All thats changed is I think less highly of PW now:

Sbyh4sM.gif

That would be interesting if they could pull it off. Open world (sort of procedural) Character Action? Tricky considering encounter design is vital to the challenge...

Maybe, but I'm talking more about movement systems and stealth mechanics, (crawling, crouching) as well as firearms. There's no reason to exclude gunplay from MGR2. I can imagine gunplay something along the lines of Vanguish (but with realistic modern guns of course) with Stealth mechanics ripped from MGSV in addition to the swordplay from MGR. Make combat more asymetrical as well: Cyborg Ninjas are less interesting when everyone's a cyborg ninja. Swordfights should be the exceptiom rather than the rule.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
For what it's worth, I think GZ is more fun to play than Rising---MGS1-PW all just feel so antequated for me. And I do prefer character action to Stealth.

I think it's a bit of a flawed comparison, they're such different genres. But hey, it's your call. :)

I agree with you on the second point, my original post said it had more going for it than the previous three games---as in PO, MGS4 and PW. I'd rank it fourth in the series storywise, behind 1/2/3.

Ah, my bad.

I made a chart awhile ago to illustrate my overall ranking of the series. All thats changed is I think less highly of PW now:

Sbyh4sM.gif

Say, that's a nice chart!

Maybe, but I'm talking more about movement systems and stealth mechanics, (crawling, crouching) as well as firearms. There's no reason to exclude gunplay from MGR2. I can imagine gunplay something along the lines of Vanguish (but with realistic modern guns of course) with Stealth mechanics ripped from MGSV in addition to the swordplay from MGR. Make combat more asymetrical as well: Cyborg Ninjas are less interesting when everyone's a cyborg ninja. Swordfights should be the exceptiom rather than the rule.

I'm not sure if those mechanics would necessarily compliment a Character Action game. It raises questions like: why would you need to crawl? Is it worth spending resources (including controller buttons, memory etc.) on that? Are there viable gameplay situations that would add to the overall game? How does it affect flow? Crap like that.

The problem with stealth in those kinds of games is that it isn't necessary; the player character is far too strong, so setting off an alert or encountering multiple opponents isn't a threat in itself. You'd probably need conditional situations to make it necessary (get spotted and a hostage dies, for example) which reduces stealth gameplay to a forced element rather than an viable option during gameplay, which is less than ideal.

Evolution, eh?

I hope this means it includes footage from earlier games. This could be the goat trailer.

That was what I was thinking. A real send off trailer for the series ;_;7

Spaghetti

In the wast majority of cases it is correct. Sometimes it does get pushed up and unlocks at midnight for Europe, mostly it's 10am or 6/7pm.
big games tend to get the midnight releases don't they?

maybe everybody should just pester the metal gear account on twitter about it. enough noise and they'll probably just go "fuck it" and release it at midnight bst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom