• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

brau

Here you guys go.

LLh14ZT.png

pahamrick

I really don't like peace walker, but I love every other game in the series and I really like ground zeroes. PW just didn't play well in my opinion.

Well, I meant more with the motherbase and development stuff. A friend of mine really likes MGS in general, but loathed PW simply because of motherbase / development / fultoning staff.

Zambatoh

I found a blink and you'll miss it moment in the gamescom demo. While we did get an eyeful of Music Tape 2, there is a very brief second where you can see Tape 1. It seems cut-scene music will also be unlocked as you progress in the story.

RetroMG

Well, I meant more with the motherbase and development stuff. A friend of mine really likes MGS in general, but loathed PW simply because of motherbase / development / fultoning staff.

I always end up getting bogged down in Motherbase stuff when I play. I enjoy it, but it winds up being all I end up doing. I'm a little worried I will have the same problem with TPP.

I always end up getting bogged down in Motherbase stuff when I play. I enjoy it, but it winds up being all I end up doing. I'm a little worried I will have the same problem with TPP.

You could spend a lot of time with the Motherbase stuff in TPP from what it seems, they've really fleshed it out. I could see myself spending hours upon hours just carefully managing everything.

Good thing there's an auto assign system as well for people who don't want to spend too much time on it.

Also how is that french review up already? I thought embargo ends on Sunday.

pahamrick

You could spend a lot of time with the Motherbase stuff in TPP from what it seems, they've really fleshed it out. I could see myself spending hours upon hours just carefully managing everything.

Good thing there's an auto assign system as well for people who don't want to spend too much time on it.

Also how is that french review up already? I thought embargo ends on Sunday.

Print review, someone got a copy of the magazine early.

I'm really happy that weapons are now supposedly instant development time.

Print review, someone got a copy of the magazine early.

I'm really happy that weapons are now supposedly instant development time.

Yikes. Konami must be furious lol. I wouldn't want to be the editor of that magazine right now.

And yeah it seems like the most essential stuff is instant, only strut/platforms and dispatch missions have big timers on them I think, am I missing something?

Didn't see you there Boss. *Salutes*

Getting many entries I hope? :p

Shy

Yep, I will be streaming

Speaking of which, maybe we should add a column in the OuterGAF spreadsheet for our twitch/ustream accounts?
That's a good idea, you should do it Vally.
I don't understand the disappointing graphics part though.
Because how much better the game would be if it wasn't held back by the previous generation.
Maybe during my break today i will go see if i can get a copy of anything like that. I know Toys R Us usually breaks release dates haha.
Break a leg Brau
I don't like what I am reading in the other thread, but well, that was kinda expected. Will wait for more impressions.
Which posts, please.

pahamrick

Yikes. Konami must be furious lol. I wouldn't want to be the editor of that magazine right now.

And yeah it seems like the most essential stuff is instant, only strut/platforms and dispatch missions have big timers on them I think, am I missing something?

Didn't see you there Boss. *Salutes*

Getting many entries I hope? :p
Yeah, struts/platform and dispatch stuff seem to be the only things with timers looks like. Suits me just fine, really.

Venom Fox

Banned
Why don't you think that's true. ?
I wasn't.
The game wouldn't have looked much better anyway, what do you expect? It's 60fps with already upgraded textures, shadows, resolution, lighting, reflections etc I could go on... The PS3/Xbox360 versions are running at full capacity, we have upgraded versions on next gen.

The most you would have gotten out of a full next gen game would have been slight better textures, better physics and textures, maybe baked GI or something similar.

If they dropped to 30fps on next gen and no ties to last gen (in terms of physics etc) then we would have gotten a huge upgrade, it could have looked good e.g. like the upcoming horizon game.

Venom Fox

Banned
It would be a lot better looking. Thats for sure. No straight jaggies. Or flat polygons. It could be a lot more higher res in the geometry.

P30mhYY.png
Actually your right, I forgot the geometry is uniform across the consoles. Still, with the consoles running at 60fps and the shit you can do / make happen in the game, we wouldn't have seen a massive upgrade.

Shy

The game wouldn't have looked much better anyway, what do you expect? It's 60fps with already upgraded textures, shadows, resolution, lighting, reflections etc I could go on... The PS3/Xbox360 versions are running at full capacity, we have upgraded versions on next gen.

The most you would have gotten out of a full next gen game would have been slight better textures, better physics and textures, maybe baked GI or something similar.

If they dropped to 30fps on next gen and no ties to last gen (in terms of physics etc) then we would have gotten a huge upgrade, it could have looked good e.g. like the upcoming horizon game.
I don't just mean graphicly, but also think what you could do with the increased ram budget.

Palpable

While I agree that the last generation more than likely holds back TPP from looking prettier, we probably wouldn't have gotten 1080/60 otherwise. Framerate is a big deal. 60fps in GZ made it fantastic.

Shy

I guess, I always thought that was just the limitations of the fox engine.
People forget that the PS3 is 9 years old and 360 is 10, and only have 256mb of ram,

I also want to clarify my position, i'm not trying to argue that GZ and TPP doesn't look good.

MajorTom

People forget that the PS3 is 9 years old and 360 is 10, and only have 256mb of ram,

I also want to clarify my position, i'm not trying to argue that GZ and TPP doesn't look good.
I'm trying to say that I think it looks great but it could look better.
I don't think it would instantly look better just if it wasn't cross gen though

Yeah, struts/platform and dispatch stuff seem to be the only things with timers looks like. Suits me just fine, really.

Same here. Hopefully we'll be able to lower the time required through advanced R&D later in the game for those who want to really micromanage their base and not take so many hours for the construction part.

While I agree that the last generation more than likely holds back TPP from looking prettier, we probably wouldn't have gotten 1080/60 otherwise. Framerate is a big deal. 60fps in GZ made it fantastic.

Yep the 60fps really makes a big difference.

And MGSV did start development with PS360 and PC in mind, 7 years back. There was no word of current gen consoles anywhere back then. The lighting more than makes up for the low res geometry. I'm glad they didn't abandon the old platforms later in development, everyone should be able to experience the final Metal Gear.

And MGSV did start development with PS360 and PC in mind, 7 years back. There was no word of current gen consoles anywhere back then. The lighting more than makes up for the low res geometry. I'm glad they didn't abandon the old platforms later in development, everyone should be able to experience the final Metal Gear.

Poor Wii U owners

lol

brau

Actually your right, I forgot the geometry is uniform across the consoles. Still, with the consoles running at 60fps and the shit you can do / make happen in the game, we wouldn't have seen a massive upgrade.

I guess, I always thought that was just the limitations of the fox engine.

I wish Kojima woud've invested in Simplygon to do their LODs. Then we could see really high level of geometry where it makes sense depending on their Sku.

But yea... The game seems to have all geometry on the lowest SKU. I guess it really help optimize the game. And it doesn't really look bad, since the lighting is GoaT.

Kindekuma

Banned
Me too.

hmmmm, i don't know about that.

Yeah, shame. :(

Here's some things they could have done with a Wii U version
>Off TV play
>iDroid on GamePad at all times, easy access to helicopter, motherbase, and cassette tapes
>Codec out of the gamepad speakers
>Easy commands for buddies
>Status of development of struts or in transit status of fulton deployments
>Pet DD!
>Gyroscope camera and binoculars

I wish Kojima woud've invested in Simplygon to do their LODs. Then we could see really high level of geometry where it makes sense depending on their Sku.

But yea... The game seems to have all geometry on the lowest SKU. I guess it really help optimize the game. And it doesn't really look bad, since the lighting is GoaT.

They should've now that I think of it but KojiPro wanted to make everything from scratch for FoxEngine and compete with western engines. Kojima said something similar in an interview with Keighley iirc.

In fact, I think Fox Engine is the only successful one to put out a game out of the big Japanese next-gen ready engines. Luminous and Panta Rhei are nowhere to be seen, for now.

>Off TV play
>iDroid on GamePad at all times, easy access to helicopter, motherbase, and cassette tapes
>Pet DD!

Gyro Binoculars would've been really cool.

There's a way to connect a WiiU Gamepad to PC right? Maybe some skilled modder might figure out ways to put those in the game.

Shy

It's one of those things we'll never know.
Yeah i guess.
If anyone has a problem with the graphics on ps4 they could always play the PC version.
When did i say that. ? I made post responding to the French review., not complaining about the PS4.
>Off TV play
>Pet DD!
Stop, you really making me sad for could of been. :_:

Which posts, please.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176029572&postcount=3590

I haven't read what he wrote, but I read some of the responses:

Thank you for that alienous.

Really with this game it seems to come down to what you want from it. I will be replaying missions TONS of times so any so called grinding probably won't exist for me cause I will have unlocked them naturally. Also he called mother base menus, I plan to visit and do things in charter. It never mentions the base invasion which I can find myself putting 20-30 hours into easy.

Lack of story sucks, lack of focus also sucks, it's what the series is known for but not why I primarily want to play this.

Oh boy. It's really starting to sound like something I won't care for at all.

That sounds bad.. :(
Pretty much everything I was afraid of. Fuck open worlds. It's not gonna stop me from buying and playing the shit out of it on day 1, MGS is favorite franchise after all, but fuck me it seems like it'll end on a disappointing entry.

Nothing really bothers me here, but the bolded one does.
Keep in mind, I really haven't read what Alienous wrote, so I may making this up.

Question: Is there a button to listen to tape after you pick them up, like in Bioshock ?

Venom Fox

Banned

Shit Brau, have you seen the amount of poly's simplygon can reduce models by, it's amazing what that simplygon does in regards to reducing the amount of poly's used on objects while keeping the same quality.

Geometry is uniform due to the amount of work required to create better geometry for the higher end consoles and PC. It would have taken at least 2 different teams to re build the entire asset database with higher poly models.
It's one of the reasons the Dying Light team dropped the last gen consoles late in development. It was too much work creating two separate asset pools.

Edit: Shy, I know you wasn't saying MGSV looks bad, I just wanted you to understand that dropping the last gen consoles wouldn't have made a massive difference due to the PS4/X1/PC having higher res and higher FPS.

brau

They should've now that I think of it but KojiPro wanted to make everything from scratch for FoxEngine and compete with western engines. Kojima said something similar in an interview with Keighley iirc.

In fact, I think Fox Engine is the only successful one to put out a game out of the big Japanese next-gen ready engines. Luminous and Panta Rhei are nowhere to be seen, for now.

Gyro Binoculars would've been really cool.

There's a way to connect a WiiU Gamepad to PC right? Maybe some skilled modder might figure out ways to put those in the game.

Shit Brau, have you seen the amount of poly's simplygon can reduce models by, it's amazing what that simplygon does in regards to reducing the amount of poly's used on objects while keeping the same quality.

Geometry is uniform due to the amount of work required to create better geometry for the higher end consoles and PC. It would have taken at least 2 different teams to re build the entire asset database with higher poly models.
It's one of the reasons the Dying Light team dropped the last gen consoles late in development. It was too much work creating two separate asset pools.

Simplygon is amazing.

Its not only better, but faster, the fidelity is exactly the same too. They used Simplygon in TW3. Worth it in this big scale kind of games if you ask me.

Also.. simplygon is a service... it can't be included into an engine. I think you actually have to pay by the time to use it, since its very expensive.

Still.. tools like this cut your time and in the end save you money. The amount of money you spend making LODs is ridiculous. I can tell you that by experience.

The game is basically self paced, complete the story in basically any order you want. So can you really blame the game when you are are in control of that factor?

Also, I don't think so. You'll see a [new] tag on the cassette in the iDroid.

Honestly, I only could answer this question if I were done with the game. So I can't give you a yes or no.

Venom Fox

Banned
Simplygon is amazing.

Its not only better, but faster, the fidelity is exactly the same too. They used Simplygon in TW3. Worth it in this big scale kind of games if you ask me.
They used it in TW3? I knew about DL, the models look exactly the same in the comparison pics.
Didn't MGS use a form of photogrammetry? Couldn't they have just reduced the poly count of the last gen consoles but kept the higher ones on Next Gen?

Disclaimer: Never used photogrammetry so my knowledge is sketchy at best.

Edit: Seen your edit above, I was talking about the team building the asset pools 2 different times for 2 different generations of console as well as the PC.
Based on what we have seen from the Fox Engine tech demos, they don't build their geometry on a plane and then place assets on to that plane to build the world. Kojipro just use the basic flat plane with a custom skybox and then place the geometry in there.

Basically just a glorified map editor like something out of far cry.

brau

They used it in TW3? I knew about DL, the models look exactly the same in the comparison pics.
Didn't MGS use a form of photogrammetry? Couldn't they have just reduced the poly count of the last gen consoles but kept the higher ones on Next Gen?

Disclaimer: Never used photogrammetry so my knowledge is sketchy at best.

Yep. TW3 uses sympligon.

I dunno about MGS tho... tho i know that they favor low poly all the time. They are actually amazing at making characters and environments with low poly.

I still think that some organic shapes can benefit from more geometry.

As far as photohrammetry, i would not know.

That is from the E3 2015 short trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiTmffbtpUY @ 0:37

Ah, nice. Thanks Vally... i think i only saw this trailer once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom